[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghetto Scuba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

I'm thinking of getting a scuba license and before that I wanted to toy around homemade equipment.

I saw some youtube videos about using coke bottles full of compressed air to breathe underwater, but then I found pic related. It's an 8l-liter hand-pumped bugspray.

I don't know the science behind "the bends" but I know they exist. Should I worry about them if I don't plan on going underwater more than 15 mins, and never more than 10 meters?

Any scuba experts here?
>>
>>667543

In case it's not clear, I plan on pressurizing this with pure air and going in, breathing when needed just by activating the release switch.

Would this work?

It cost just 25 usd, but I'd like to know if my idea is even remotely plausible to work. I have absolutely no other use for this thing.
>>
Is it worth your life to find out?
>>
There's a pretty good description here of how to build a simple, safe, compressor supplied diving helmet. There's some DUDE WEED LMAO but ignore that.

http://psychedelicfrontier.com/underwater-tripping-5-hours-bottom-lake/

This style of diving has a proven history and is much harder to fuck up than trying to DIY a scuba cylinder, especially without a regulator.
>>
>>667543
>>667546
You need to be made aware that this is a horrible idea
>>
>>667620
>http://psychedelicfrontier.com/underwater-tripping-5-hours-bottom-lake/

I skimmed over this article but seemed to be too gonzo for what I'm looking for here. I'm not looking for a fun read, but rather someone who has attempted this before.

As for the regulator, I don't plan on using this on anything bigger than a swimming pool, so any "life support" devices might be overkill.

>>667621

It's quite possible it is a terrible idea... but I still don't know why. I will absolutely desist if given a good reason.

Moreso, I plan on gifting this as a toy to my nephew (fuck a wii-u, you can breathe underwater. how cool is that) whom I love very much so If this is bad I'm very interested in knowing why.
>>
>>667626
>but rather someone who has attempted this before.

That's...the person who wrote that article...

>As for the regulator, I don't plan on using this on anything bigger than a swimming pool, so any "life support" devices might be overkill.

You don't understand. The regulator is necessary to ensure you get air at the correct pressure. Otherwise you are liable to injure yourself.

>Moreso, I plan on gifting this as a toy to my nephew (fuck a wii-u, you can breathe underwater. how cool is that) whom I love very much so If this is bad I'm very interested in knowing why.

Because you don't know what you're doing and are liable to be responsible for his death.

Consider just buying him a spare air: http://www.spareair.com/

It's properly designed to PADI standards and will give him a few minutes of breathing underwater before it needs to be refilled, either from a fullsize scuba tank or the compressor at a dive shop.
>>
>>667628

>You don't understand. The regulator is necessary to ensure you get air at the correct pressure. Otherwise you are liable to injure yourself.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

I'll research on that before I come back asking again.
>>
Okay, here's a few things:
Those tanks are not designed to hold pressure. Without a regulator, they will crush underwater, forcing the air out and into your lungs when breathing.
It's ludicrous to think you could get 15 minutes out of an unpressurized container like this.
I hope your thing is new. Even thoroughly washed and rinsed, you'd have to be mad to breathe air for extended periods of time out of a fucking pesticide container.
Even if it worked, gifting such a thing to a child is irresponsible at best, short of being a qualified diver yourself.
>>
>>667543
http://hampture.blogspot.com/
Fukn end up dead like my nigga Cousteau
>>
File: alvin.png (103KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
alvin.png
103KB, 235x215px
>>667590
>>667620
>>667621
>>667631
>>667654
shut the fuck up, you'll ruin our fun

YOLO! GOPRO THAT SHIT OP!
>>
A terrible idea, but you can practice in waist deep water with no danger. Give it a try and let us know how it went. Those things cannot hold much pressure, so you get only a few deep breaths from a tank so the 15 min dive wont happen.
>>
>>667663

Fuck off fag. Having something even marginally better than a snorkel for 25 usd is neat.

But dying is not desired or worth it.

Would it at least be good enough for 5m deep?

I'm a little afraid of rupturing a lung due to acutely not knowing what the fuck I am doing.

I remember JBS Haldane researched a lot on explosive decompression and mentioned lots of horrible things like ruptured lungs, eardrums, exploding teeth and that bizarre drunkenness that I have no idea what causes it. Also, the dreaded bends.

Anybody has any experience on this pressure-induced bizarre states of mind?
>>
File: image.jpg (214KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214KB, 2000x2000px
>>667543
I don't see anything that could possibly go wrong.
>>
>>667879
No shit!?!?! You can use these for diving???
I have a spare and would love to learn. Anyone have a link to a conversion kit?
thanks in advance!!!!!!
>>
>>667908
Just buy a full one from any gas station, duct tape a garden hose, and inhale. Takes 5min.
>>
>>667913
I don't think that's practical for a dive.
I need a way to mount it to my back or a harness.
For the tank to mouth piece I'll probably need some type of adapter and I assume a regulator?
>>
>>667913
Wait, I just figured it out, you're from Florida, aren't you?
>>
File: Ademhalingsklok_gif.gif (851KB, 525x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ademhalingsklok_gif.gif
851KB, 525x600px
>>667908
yeah man propane has the nice blue flame because they mix like 30% oxygen with it to sell more fuel for a lower price and have a cleaner burn with less soot. Air has 21% oxygen...

You can also use a propane pressure regulator. Like >>667913, use a garden hose, hook it up to your facemask and off you go!
Don't forget to use teflon tape on the threads. And don't worry about the propane, the molecules are too big to pass the lung membrane, you breathe out the propane and the body takes up the O2 in the mix.

Just don't smoke in the boat or on the dock.
>>
>>667968
This guy gets it
>>
>>667871
assuming its the blood to the head
>>
>>667968
My computer is buggy and sometime the gif just stop.
>>
>>667968
dutchfag?
>>
>>667626
>I plan on gifting this as a toy to my nephew

So, wait, you're going to give your nephew an empty bug spray container and tell him that he can breath underwater by pumping it full of air and sucking through the hose?
>>
>>668660
It's natural selection at its finest
>>
>>668660

>So, wait, you're going to give your nephew an empty bug spray container and tell him that he can breath underwater by pumping it full of air and sucking through the hose?

The full plan was to ask you guys, then try it on myself (35 year old guy) and then give it to him.

I wish him no harm of course. I just think breathing underwater is much cooler than another action figure or a 3DS.

In any case, if this is risky I'd love to know why. I'll probably have my answers when I enroll in scuba classes this winter.
>>
>>669293
Yes, this is extremely risky, because the air supply is totally unregulated. I have read case studies of children being admitted to the ER with a stroke after having an air embolism in their brain. The children had placed a weighted bucket on their heads, so they could walk around on the bottom of a swimming pool as a "scuba diver." Going even a few feet down compressed the air in the bucket, and the air in the children's lungs. When they surfaced the air bubbles in their blood streams expanded, and they stroked out. Not worth doing to anyone you love.
>>
I sat at the bottom of a 12 foot pool with the hose and nozzle from an electric air compressor for around an hour when I was 10. Nothing bad happened but horrible idea. Just get a cert. it's more fun then dying.
>>
>>669293
>I just think breathing underwater is much cooler than another action figure or a 3DS.

Then get him this: www.spareair.com

If you do the scuba classes you'll be able to buy a full size scuba tank and get it refilled as needed. Your nephew can then refill the spare air directly from the fullsize tank plenty of times before it needs refilling as well.
>>
>>667543
Can someone do a drawing replacing the hydranus with an oxyanus?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.