[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Bowie knives for the money?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: Old West.jpg (64KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Old West.jpg
64KB, 736x552px
I've been looking at Bowie knives and have been wondering if anyone knows of some good Bowie knives for the money?
>>
>>666985
This thread is related to my interests

Biggity baggity BAMPity BUMP
>>
>>666985
To use fighting Indians or fighting Texicans?

Aint good for much else.
>>
File: P_20151013_180041_1_p.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20151013_180041_1_p.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>666985

This is my old milspec 12inch Bowie I had. Gave it away to friend when I bought myself a new one. The only pic I have left of the knife. Will post new one now.

This one is on Amazon for very cheap if you just like to have a big knife or whatever. I would recommend for first one until you decide to trade up for something more specific you like.
>>
File: P_20160116_200002_1.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160116_200002_1.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>667143

This is my new one. The handle isn't great but for what I use it for it's fine. The steel it's made from is stained with acid to create those patterns on blade. I call it Sting after Bilbo's one that glows blue when goblins are near...wish mine did that when robbers where near.
>>
File: nostep.png (42KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
nostep.png
42KB, 500x333px
>>666985
Bowie knves are weapons, not camping tools. You should probably ask /k/.
>>
File: image.jpg (272KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272KB, 1280x720px
>>667151
Or /mu/
>>
>>666985
This should be in the Knoife thread, but whatever.

In my experience (which is limited), the best Bowie knife I've come across is the Ontario Raider. I bought it for boar. It works. It also chops fairly well if you're in a climate that doesn't need an axe. If you want a big batoning/chopping Bowie, Ontario seems to be the way to go. $50 for a hunk of 1095 is pretty snazzy.

Honestly though, I still prefer carrying a smaller knife and a hatchet. If you want that "classic aesthetic", look at the Condor Hudson Bay and the Moonshiner.
>>
>>667155
I thought he died alone... a long long time ago... God I get tears in my eyes from Blackstar.
>>
File: bowieknife-640x462.jpg (67KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
bowieknife-640x462.jpg
67KB, 640x462px
>>667155
>>
>>666985
My father-in-law has an old Case bowie. It's too fuckhuge to be useful for me, but it's the same quality as the Case stuff I use and like, so check on one of those.

Bowies really are more fighting knives than /out/ tools, though.
>>
>>667268
not true, and fuckhuge is good. its supposed to be axe-like ideally. its a bushknife, a hunk of steel that can flex on anything you need it too. also a terrible fighting knife
>>
>>667143
Can you give a link? I can't find it.
>>
>>667687

Here we go. Fuck it's allot cheaper than I remembered ha ha!

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-12-Survival-Bowie-Knife/dp/B002MPRT6Y
>>
Anybody own one of those $20 Winchester bowie knives? Are they any good?
>>
>>667685
>a terrible fighting knife
It's a knife that's supposed to resemble the original, a broken saber ground to a clip point. Long blade, pointy for stabbing, strong guards. Hard to beat for a fighter. Modern versions are much wider than the original.

As to size, my favorite /out/ knives are all between 5 and 6 inches long. Then again, I usually go innadesert and don't baton, so ymmv.

>>667753
Winchester pretty much sucks.
>>
>>667874
my knowledge of fighting with blades suggests that only very small or very large is effective, and medium sized blades are just worse ranged weapons that larger blades, and smaller blades are just to complement CQC. bowie and kukri designs manage torque in a way thats well for general misuse and hatchet doubling, and i believe that heavier midsized versions are best for bushcraft. the "thats not a knife, this is a knife" variants. it may be based on something that wasnt for bushcraft, but the short lived oversized bowie is probably one of the best you can have for purpose

also i see a lot of knife culture on /k and /out doesnt shun literal shit chinese knives. the picture in OP has a lot of nice set design and could aesthetically pass for a well made grampas blade, but i can tell its 15 dollar chinkshit. nothing wrong with cheap edged steel if its designed and weighed right and you carry something to hold the edge with, but dont try to argue in their favor of viable blades. they usually have terribly made handles even if master race full tang, the guard is poorly fastened and has no ergonomics/more of a rubbing nuisance than a guard, and when you try to disseminate the feelgood shit from the functioning knife, the whole thing falls apart. i cant stress the difference in functionality the ergonomics of a blade has. cooks could probably tell you, a cheaply made kitchen knife is nigh unusable because you cannot apply torque in any relevant spots and the handle design often in no way complements the blade design ie you cannot apply torque on the belly of the blade without an awkward grip. of course this is rarely intended if the blade has a niche usage and it is designed to allow angling not easily done with traditional blades, normally it is an unintentional testament to the difference in quality knives can be.

for example the plastic bowie linked earlier is the type notorious for having irregular blade placement in the handle. no geometric consistency
>>
>>667887
forgive me OPs knife might not be what i critiqued it of, but ive become disillusioned
>>
>>667705
>all those one star reviews about it not being full tang
That doesn't sound like a good /out/ knife mate.
>>
>>667890

Ye that's why i got rid of it. The blade is connected with steel shank in to the handle and will snap off if battened too hard. It's cool for novelty but yes it suck in usefulness otherwise.
>>
>>667007

Why not both?
>>
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=RA007&name=The+Rogue%27s+Tooth+-+Fighting+Knife

This looks like a good mix of style and functionality.

I got a Winchester bowie for 6 bucks on sale. It's held up to everything from being a coat rack, splitting firewood, digging a fire pit, and being thrown into a god damn car door.

Bowie knives are feel good knive's. They make you happy in you're soul son.

What other knife can you use as a saber?
>>
>>667753
Yeah shit's great mang.

I mean, not the end all be all of knive's. But it's a sharp pointy mostly full tang knife.

I mean, would i pay 20 bucks for one? No.
But 15 is too fun not too.
>>
>>667887
Uh, this is op's knife

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Under-Knives-The-Outback/dp/B003VAAY02
>>
>>667143

>Shit-ass china clone of an Aitor

Ok senpai
>>
>>670485
that doesnt mean anything. actually it means it has a shitty tang
>>
>>667888
>but ive become disillusioned

No, you're just stupid. Why dont you become a tripfag so everyone will know to ignore you.
>>
>>670485
>follow anons link to tead bowie specs
>amazon gives suggestions for other related items
>DVD of Crocodile Dundee is L.A.
Kek
>>
>>666985
not cheap but the blackjack model 7 is worth the money
>>
>>670604
no that knife is actually shit and if you think otherwise you shouldnt be on out
>>
File: 20160110_130431.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160110_130431.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Svord, its one of the only non costume looking bowies on the marker.
>>
The original bowie was basically a butcher knife, wasn't it?
>>
File: images.png (6KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6KB, 200x252px
>>666985
How about a David Bowie knife?
>>
>>670821
They had a lot of different versions and there were 3 brothers all notorious for knife fighting and carrying large custom made knives that all looked different and why basically all large nonserrated fixed blade knives meet the description.

Jim Bowie just got famous for dying at the Alamo
>>
>>670821
The original bowie was a broken saber that was ground to a clip point.
>>
>>671080
srsly, this actually took over a week. Wow.

New/last album kicks fucking ass.
>>
File: visible confusion.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
visible confusion.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>670778
>advertised as a forest knife
>giant obnoxious guard on the back that prevents you from putting your thumb on the blade's spine
pls stop doing this knife makers... nobody gets into knife fights anymore and it hugely reduces the knife's functionality in bushcraft
>>
>>671134

The New Zealand Forest Ranger Bowies that the Svord is a interpretation from were made from Wagon leaf springs after Gustavus Von Tempsky spent time in the Americas.

>A 1900 inerview with John Toovey, an ex Forest Ranger corporal, appeared in a 1935 issue of The New Zealand Railways Magazine: He had a farm near Te Awamutu. Customarily, out on the farm and in the bush, he wore a sheath-knife on his belt. The knife was a veteran like himself. It had been nine or ten inches long of blade, but the point had been broken off, and he re-ground and pointed it; even then it was like a young bayonet. He told its story, "That's one of old Von's bowie knives," he said. "He had a lot made for us at a blacksmith's in Auckland when the Forest Rangers were divided into two companies and he had command of me.

>"You know, old Von was a terror with the bowie knife. He had learned to use it in Mexico and Central America. Certainly it came in handy in the bush, and as we had no bayonets it was comforting to know you had a good sticker on your hip for a scrimmage.

>"I've had that knife more than thirty years. See how it's worn down. I've used it for all sorts of jobs, hacking bush tracks, pig-sticking, skinning sheep, cutting up my tobacco and my loaf of bread. It'll last my day, my boy!"
>>
>>666985
THATS a knoife
>>
>>671191

Yeah if I were to buy a bowie it'd be a Sword Von Tempsky
>>
>>671188
Are you incapable of removing a guard?

>>671191
Genuinely interdasting. Thanks.
>>
>>671188

>implying you don't have a second knife for detail work

If you need to choke up then the blade is long and wide enough that you can just grip the blade itself.
>>
Honestly, what is the point of a knife like this?
>>
>>675333
>what is the point of a knife like this

Its the narrow part at the end of the sharp bit, I can draw a picture if it will help
>>
>>671188
a thin crossguard like that wouldn't stop you from anything.
just work your thumb around it.
>>
>>667155
I couldn't go to /mu/ for several days because of how many Bowie threads there were
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.