[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ So I struggle to build fires. I believed I have some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Hey /out/

So I struggle to build fires. I believed I have some curse or some shit, I follow the proper procedures (dry tinder, plenty of oxygen, small pieces of dry fuel, slowly increase size of fuel as I go). For some reason, IF I get the tinder to light (let's say I use a lighter and some news paper) then the small twigs and stuff doesn't burn. Or if I get the small twigs to burn, the bigger fuel doesn't catch alight. It chars, and some of it turns to ash, but it doesn't burn.

also, recently bought fire steel, tried using it on dried grass and frayed cotton rope, and couldn't get it to light.

Anyone have tips?
>>
>>666103
Sounds like you live somewhere very humid. Try fat wood/ a lot of pine needles (If pine grows in your area )
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 670x820px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 670x820px
As important as the fuel you use is the way you position it. The heat from the tinder has to be contained and transferred to the kindling. One the kindling ignites, it's heat has to ignite and help sustain the larger wood. Try a teepee style fire, this method does an excellent job of growing your fire until it's self sustaining.
>>
File: IMG_20151106_143230.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151106_143230.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>
>>666103
white walker please go!
>>
>>666103
Clear the area 6 feet from the outer edge around your fire ring of all combustible material.

Think big. The idea is to get a bed of coals as quickly as possible. Don't short yourself on tinder and small kindling, and don't be afraid to move shit around to get it in contact with the flame. Dead branches on the ground are the best source for tinder. The tiny brances stay off the ground and stay dry. The next step shouldn't be any larger than the stick connecting them to the branch. Build 3 piles beforehand: twigs; sticks; and branches. Birch bark from downed trees makes excellent tinder, but it depends where you are. It will generally either be white or grey, and very papery. You can also use cedar bark, but try not to strip it from standing trees. Leaves, cotton, and dried grass don't work well. You will end up with a face full of smoke.

Light it from the downwind side and feed it from the windward side. Get used to it, this is the way it's done.

Extinguish the fire completely, stir it with water, and don't leave it until you can put your hand right on the ashes for 5-10 seconds. Keep stirring it and make sure it's COLD OUT before you leave.
>>
Small fires need more attention (stoking) than larger ones. There is a lot more blowing with small fires too to reignite the fuel from the coals. Sometimes enough fuel just isn't available.
>>
>>666879

fucking hell grandpa
we use hexamine now

esbit tabs are hexamine, and the generic hexamine tabs work just as good. i have two packs of that shit
>>
>>666103
Use Tampons. They are small and the packing is waterproof. Just unfold them so you have a cottonball they burn about 60sec.
>>
>>668701
they only burn that long if you soak them with vaseline
60 sec is not nearly enough sometimes tho
if everything is dry it should do the trick
>>
Birch bark fo days
>>
File: IMG_20151115_193201.jpg (1003KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151115_193201.jpg
1003KB, 2048x1536px
>>668648
> two packs

Just ONE partial case.

> racist against trioxane

That's weird.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.