[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tree Planting! GO!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: PlantYourFace.jpg (17KB, 300x191px) Image search: [Google]
PlantYourFace.jpg
17KB, 300x191px
All set for year 2 in NW Ontario
Personal best - 4104
How many of you are good to tear your nails off while being eaten alive by bugs for 0.09$ a tree?
>>
I applied to Treeline Reforestation last season. I didn't get a job ;_;

Best of luck out there though.
>>
>>666021
Just hear about this the other day, seems really fun. Am i just being naive?
>>
>>666021
In america we just hire Mexicans to plant new trees. Those guys can do 5,000 in a day
>>
>>666021
Where to apply for that?

Is be interested in doing a summer of it.

(from ON aswell)
>>
>>666166
no joke, the mexicans will dust your ass in physical labor 10 times outta 10.

There was a separate mexican firecrew (I was with a private contractor) last season and they dug firelines twice as fast with a smaller crew than us.

I also remember when I was a kid, the blueberry farm cut the season short for the white kids and hired more mexicans in, they just brought the family since it was paid by the pound.
>>
>>666180
I've done HVAC work and I watched a Mexican carry a god damn inside unit, compressor and all, up a flight of attic stairs by himself.
>>
>>666218
I've watched them climb multistory homes stacking ladders on top of another ladder. Any white man would have brought a bucket truck in. I wish I had the work ethic they do.
>>
>>666171
Op here
http://www.tree-planter.com/
I'd apply to all the ON companies listed
>>
>>666159
Naive were the rookies who asked "is it unreasonable to plant 3500 trees on my first day?"
The work itself is not 'fun' but satisfying if you're into pushing your limits.
The camp life is fantastic through and through. Party every saturday night, talent shows, drinking games, turning the mess tent into a rave cave. Plus none of the students had ever done anything /out/ related before so my talents got to shine
>>
>>666339
I'm not too interested in the money honestly, I'd do it for the experience. The camp life seems kick ass, I think if I get a term off i'd do it, thanks for the info friend
>>
4yrs, ON, AB, BC. Best was 4500 planting in AB in nice sandy open ground. I loved it. I didn't tree delivery and foreman for a bit as well when guys got sick or had to leave. Best time of my life. This was back in 2000-2005. AB was the best long the Hinton/Jasper park boarder.
>>
>>666021
>http://www.tree-planter.com
>Camp ratio: 44% Female / 56% Male

what a fucking sausage fest.
>>
>>666021
this looks like hell on your back, are there any techniques that involve squatting down for each tree or is it really constant bending over?

only reason I don't want to do desu
>>
>>666021
wait 4104 total or in one day.
>>
>>666021
$369 for that? What kind of drugs are you smoking?
I can make that in less than 90 minutes sitting on my ass and have $ & time to spend /out
>>
>>667678
Its funny, I figured my back would be screaming during the contract. Turns out proper technique is to use your shovel to support your upper body weight when bending over. This plus the hip straps on the planting bag keeps your back relatively strain free.
>>
>>667824
4104 in 10 hours
75799 total (over 33 days)
>>
>>667982
Not about the money mate
Besides how many jobs (at an entry level) can you do 10 hours work and make $369
>>
>>667661
Having more dudes then chicks means you have to stand out from the pack.
Scary thought huh?
>>
File: 166.jpg (4MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
166.jpg
4MB, 2736x3648px
Planted a season in Algonquin and north Ontario for HRI. Personal best was 3500. I miss the tent life. Made friends for life while planting we meet up once a year at least no matter where everyone is in the world.

Pic was last tree I ever planted.
>>
>>668018
>how many jobs (at an entry level) can you do 10 hours work and make $369
I'll give you that. I'm an oldfag in a cushy position.
>>
Did it for a summer in Sask. 12cents a tree. Maybe pretty good cash. It was a good experience. Probably won't ever do it again though.

An interesting side note though, I found that many people who were tree planting complete a summer circuit of sorts. They start early in BC, then work their way east, jumping in on contracts that need help to finish on time. Then when the tree planting season ends, they can head back west and do cherry picking in BC. Cherry picking doesn't pay nearly as well, but it is a more relaxed vibe. Some even go to Australia now during the winter and plant there as well. So they are going almost all year, with a month or so break to travel and sight see.

It sounds like a pretty good life, and it is, but after you get older and your body slows down, your left with not much in career prospects, besides trying to get on as a crew boss with a tree planting company.
>>
>>668016
$6,800~ for 33 days work is pretty nice, especially when you're out, doing something beneficial to the environment. I envy you OP, going to see if we do this in Australia.
>>
>>668078
Do you know where in Australia does contract planting? It seems to be state forestry organised.
>>
>>666021
how long were you out there ? thats only $369 before taxes.
>>
>>666021

If I'm not from Canada could I get some sort of visa if I got accepted there? Do they even consider foreigners?
>>
>>668122
He means personal best in a day. So he got $369 in a day.
>>
>>668041
> cushy

Nice, iddnit?
>>
I'm pretty ignorant of Canadian work visas so I can't help much there.

According to the company I was with people living in Canada get priority. We had one guy on our crew who spoke very little english (he was Congolese so mostly french) and showed up thinking it was going to be an office job of some sort. So that priority net is pretty wide apparently
>>
Did some research after I made that post, seems it shouldn't be too hard but I have to get a visa on my own. And the gear needed is bulky and there's lots of it, so I'd have to buy it in Canada. Thankfully I have a relative in Canada so I have somewhere to store the gear for future seasons.

I'm getting excited thinking about this, even if I can apply only in 2 and a half years time.

Brightened my day, the knowledge of such work existing.
>>
>>668739
why do you have to wait 2.5 year?
>>
>>668807

To finish Uni. Fuckers changed the programme from 3 bachelor's and 2 year master to 4 bachelor 1 year master.
>>
>>668813
wait your tryna finish your masters in 1 year? good luck man...
>>
>>668814

Nah I wanna do this after bachelors. I'm studying fine art and masters programs are shit desu, in my country (Serbia) and even worse in Europe or US bunch of designers, illustrators, performance artists calling their cum and shit and effortless wankery art, fuck that.
>>
>>668821
I'd at least try it first before you decide to make it for a career.
>>
>>666021
How the hell do you plant that much?
Different technique than me?

I'm a proffesional forest worker and to be fair I don't have that much practice but I can plant 850 in 7 hours.
The old guys can do 1200 in that time and the best I've heard of can put 2500 in the ground in 10-12 hours.

Can you post a video of technique?
>>
>>668828

I totally have a video of me planting when I was doing 1800-2000 a day. Not sure how to upload it though.
>>
>>668828
I've not got a video of my technique but the basic premise was 2-4 trees in my left hand, skreef, stick the shovel in the ground, push one of the trees into the hole along the back of the shovel while supporting your upper body on your shovel/right hand then pull out and give the ground a slight kick to close the hole. Make sure the plug's covered and the tree is vertical, move 6' and repeat. I started really moving when I stopped straightening my back and standing up straight between plants

Our trees came in bundles of 20 and most of us were carrying between 400-600 trees at a time. They were at most 5" tall. Our crew boss described his time in BC where planters would only plant a couple hundred trees due to the care they had to take. For us it was basically a slap dash.

What gets me though is that our highballer put in apx 155k trees in the same time period. He was a 4th year but goddamn 155000! (I think his PB was ~8000}
>>
>>666021
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo
>>
>>668866
The small trees might account for some of it. Our plants are 8-12 inches and we carry about 200.

My technique goes like this: Lay out shovel flat in front (to get correct distance), make hole, plant, stomp ground and give the sapling a slight pull to make sure it's stuck in the ground. Repeat.

Because of the small forest area in Denmark we have to be careful with trees and distance to maximize production. We usually don't plant by piecework but rather by hourly wage.

But I might try not standing up between plants.
>>
>>667661

Women are whores. There could be 20% women / 80% men, chances of you getting laid is still high. Long as you're not some sort autistic person.
>>
>>669221
>Not being gay
>>
>>669241

>Not being bisexual.

Fucking pleb. Now you get get ass no matter the number ratios are.
>>
>>666021
i only cut down trees
>>
File: finputki4.jpg (66KB, 384x800px) Image search: [Google]
finputki4.jpg
66KB, 384x800px
>>669185
>>668866
>showel
People still use those to plant trees?
>>
File: shovel.jpg (12KB, 266x450px) Image search: [Google]
shovel.jpg
12KB, 266x450px
>>671236
Didn't see any of what you pictured
We were using just a shovel
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.