[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some resources I can use to find cool & interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 11

File: zxFvK5Z.jpg (146KB, 1247x934px) Image search: [Google]
zxFvK5Z.jpg
146KB, 1247x934px
What are some resources I can use to find cool & interesting outdoor things in my area?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-09-10-21-40-11.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-10-21-40-11.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Ingress. It's in your app store on your phone. GPS capture the flag.
>>
>>665987
Yeah, but you can't really find cool stuff with ingress, unless you consider a plaque at your local park interesting.

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajcHs4z5wG8
>>
Possibly resurrecting a dead thread, but I was also wondering how to get involved in outdoor activities. Don't really have any friends who want to camp or anything like that.
>>
Google can be your friend , found an old fort one day /out/ , got home googled it and found out they built ten of them during the Napoleonic wars to defend an estuary against invasion , explored all of them , this then led me to other bunkers that were built in ww2. It was cool camping in them (the ones that were structurally sound looking )
But you would be surprised what you find on Google when you put in a certain area , like board posts by other people who found stuff .
One of my favourite spots now I found that way , it's an island with a fort and the ruins of a castle , the guy that lives there owns the island and has a farm on it. First day I arrived on their he came out with a pack of dogs and a shotgun. Got talking to him , completely chill guy , just has lots of problems with assholes coming onto his land. Gave me permission to camp / fish whatever on his island whenever I want as long as I don't leave shit behind me.
Found a tunnel on that island when the tide was out one day , brought some other sc/out/s with me and did some exploring. Led to a sub level of the fort , found old barrels , pipes , bowls etc , was pretty cool.

Looking for a new area now tho further away , a dude here is after writing a book about abandoned structures , can't wait to get going to these places
>>
>>668553
There might be a buahcraft or outdoors club in your area. Lots of universties have outdoor pursuits clubs that allow non students to join , what country you based in
>>
>>668553
Figure out what you wan to do, long hikes, camping, bushcraft, whatever. Then research the topic a bit, maybe watch someone with more experience from youtube or even read about it here. After that just go outside and do whatever it is you want to do, start with activities that won't take more than a day so there's no risk.
>>
There's an app called Yonder which is basically Yelp for outdoor stuff. I've used it a few times, but usually I just look for the nearest park/forest/wilderness area/etc and go explore. That's part of the fun of being /out/
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3253x2434px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3253x2434px
>>668688
I found this amazing place in South Dakota by looking at a book of abandoned places. It's called Harney Peak and the trail to it starts in the beautiful Custer State Park and ends at an abandoned National Forest fire tower.
>>
>>668691
got anymore of SD? was thinking of moving to SD . How is the int he woods stuff?
>>
>>668820
The western part of the state is hilly/mountainous and can be kinda touristy thanks to Mount Rushmore, but the Black Hills really are an amazing place. There's a ton of National Forest and National/State park land to do a wide variety of stuff. I've gone hiking, climbing, caving, camping, and fishing out there. It's pretty awesome. Central part of the state is pretty flat, not counting the Badlands, which will take your breath away.

There's assloads to do and explore. I didn't take this one, but here's a photo of a place in Spearfish Canyon called the Devil's Bathtub. You can hike out there and enjoy a nice cool dip on a summers day. The way the water runs through the canyon makes it a natural water slide.
>>
>>669205
If i was looking to buy some land but still be sorta close to a town/city for work. Where should I be looking?

Looking for forests and hills/mountains to fuck around in, was looking at parts of ID recently
>>
>>669208
Try:
Custer, Spearfish, Lead, Sturgis, Rapid City or one of the many many other towns that are in Black Hills National Forest. You could also try north of it a bit in the Bell Fouche area.

I will say Custer and Spearfish were probably my favorite towns over in that area.

You could also look at land in Wyoming that's nearby like Sundance, New Castle, Moorcroft, Gillette, Hulett.
>>
>>669211
Thanks anon, ill do some googling and google maps peaking. Hows the weather? I like 4 seasons and love snow/thunderstorms
>>
>>669212
There are definitely 4 seasons and it can get pretty cold up there. I was working at Devils Tower and got to see spring, summer, and autumn. Was definitely worth it. Summers rarely get above 100 and generally hover in the 80's. I got to see lightning streak across behind the tower a few times and we had quite a number of storms (one while we were trying to rappel down the tower).

Also, star gazing out there is fantastic. There is very little light pollution unless you're near Rapid City.
>>
>>669213
That sounds based as hell anon, anymore pics to share?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4025x3015px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4025x3015px
>>669214
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3232x2442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3232x2442px
>>669219
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3252x2428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3252x2428px
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3252x2428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3252x2428px
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3223x2401px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3223x2401px
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Last one. I really need to hit the hay.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>669230
Oh, and that's lightning striking the tower
>>
Looking good anon
>>
>>665973
If you're in the US try the closest US Forest Service, BLM, or Nat'l Park Service office. The State dept or Natural Resources(or whatever they call it in your state is another possibility. Also US Fish and Wildlife has some cool refuges.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.