[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the items everyone should have or at least consider buying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: dreamstime_xl_31762033[1].jpg (182KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
dreamstime_xl_31762033[1].jpg
182KB, 800x565px
Backpack
Tent
Sleeping bag
Spare shirt, pants, underwear, singlet, socks
knife
firestarter
food rations
water bottle full of water

What else?
>>
Long John Silvers
>>
Dragon dildo
>>
>>665327
This. It's a must have in these crazy modern times.
>>
>>665325
since you are taking a tent i asume you're talking about multiday trekking.

Only spare socks and underwear is needed.
Tent is not necessary, shelter is.
Add means of water purification to the list.
Add sleeping pad
Add a cooking pot of some sorts
Add a flashlight
Add a compass
>>
>>665334
>Add a compass

do you really think a compass is a necessity
>>
>>665336
It was nothing and the size of a half dollar. A compass could save your life if you ever were lost
>>
File: Long john silvers away!!!.jpg (23KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Long john silvers away!!!.jpg
23KB, 240x320px
>>665326
>>
>>Inb4 let's start a war

I think everyone who loves being /out/ should consider a hammock. It's changed how I camp for the better, and I could never go back.

But, it's not for everyone. Still, I think anyone who is skeptical should try it out.
>>
>>665336
Not the same anon but if you know how to use one with a map (and you should), you can prevent the majority of the horror stories you hear about hikers getting lost on a different trail (or no trail while they try bushwhacking suicide).
>>
File: pepe_crazy.png (101KB, 248x241px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_crazy.png
101KB, 248x241px
>>665340
>mfw there aren't enough trees in my area to allow me to hammock
>>
Bear Canister
Balaclava
Sling Shot
Folding Cutlery
Trekking Poles
Can Opener
Paracord
Sewing Awl
Solar USB charger
Duct Tape
Toilet Paper
Sunglasses
Spade for burying poo
Head Lamp
>>
weed
>>
>>665325
Guns, I think. At least a .22 rifle.
>>
Water proof clothing.
>>
A first aid kit. Try to make it yourself with stuff you know how to use.
>>
>>665325
Enough enriched Uranium to reach critical mass.
>>
>>665325
a good leather wallet
>>
File: 20151231_221015.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151231_221015.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>665490
ayatollah khamenei pls go

Also, pic related. What does /out/ think?
>>
>>665325
Depends on what you do, but assuming an overnight hike, I'd say :

Backpack >Yes
Tent > Not necessarily
Sleeping bag > Yes
Spare shirt, pants, underwear, singlet, socks > Only underwear and socks are truly needed, depends on the trip duration
knife > not so sure about that, unless you mean one for eating
firestarter > A lighter right ? Because those gimmicks that you rub to make a sparkle are worthless
food rations > Not necessarily, there's plenty other thing you can eat
water bottle full of water > Or a camelback, but you sure need water
Long John Silvers > ??
Dragon dildo > No you don't

Only spare socks and underwear is needed. > Indeed
Tent is not necessary, shelter is. > indeed, wise sir
Add means of water purification to the list. > depends on where you go
Add sleeping pad > not if you only sleep in a cabin
Add a cooking pot of some sorts > Not always needed
Add a flashlight > Yes or a headlamp
Add a compass > Yes and no, If you have a GPS and not planning a long trip, you can spare the compass
Hammock > not if there's no place to hang it
Bear Canister > Not if you are not in a bear country
Balaclava > No
Sling Shot > You silly kid, no
Folding Cutlery > For eating, yes, but not really
Trekking Poles > It's a great help I use some, but not everyone NEED it
Can Opener > If you pack cans
Paracord > No, it's useless. Even if your pack breaks down, it wont really help you, and forbid you to do any scrambling with it or rely your life on it
Sewing Awl > Not really useful for everyone
Solar USB charger > No, you dont
Duct Tape > No you don't
Toilet Paper > Yes unless you know how to use those little stones
Sunglasses > Yes
Spade for burying poo > you can use other tools but yes
Head Lamp > Yes
weed > No
Guns > No
Water proof clothing. > Yes
A first aid kit > Yes
Enough enriched Uranium to reach critical mass. > No backpack can carry it
a good leather wallet > No
Multi tool > Not really, but you can take it anyway kid
>>
a gun

perhaps a .44 magnum revolver if you're in bear country. add tracer rounds for emergency signalling.
>>
>>665526
>firestarter > A lighter right ? Because those gimmicks that you rub to make a sparkle are worthless
Hey, they'll work in a pinch of you know what you're doing; but yeah, I carry a couple bic lighters.

>Add means of water purification to the list. > depends on where you go
Unless you're in the mountains where the water is awesome, you should really have some way to purify water. I'll drink from a mountain spring where the water is just above freezing in midsummer without filtering, chemically sanitizing, or boiling. Anywhere else? Fuck that out loud, no screaming shits innawoods for me thanks.

>Sling Shot > You silly kid, no
Why not? They hardly weigh anything, are decent for taking small game (squirrel, rabbit, turkey, quail, grouse, etc.), and ammo is everywhere (pebbles, tree nuts, dirt clods).

>Paracord > No, it's useless. Even if your pack breaks down, it wont really help you, and forbid you to do any scrambling with it or rely your life on it
Fuck, man, if you're using paracord to climb you deserve whatever befalls you. To say that it's worthless, though? That's simply incorrect. It's decent versatile cordage that doesn't break the bank. Every foot gives you 22 feet total line (one foot is the outer sleeve, the other 21 come from the seven inner cords split into their three strands each). Climb with it? No fucking way. But it's decent for lashing, fishing, sewing (your gear or yourself if you gotta, wouldn't recommend that last bit due to infection risk but whatever).

>Multi tool > Not really, but you can take it anyway kid
>kid
Wow dude, just wow. Are multis great at anything? No, but they're a hell of a lot better than nothing when needed. Pliers for mechanic work, not so much. Pliers to unfuck your situation when you hook yourself fishing, absolutely.
>>
>>665543
>Paracord > No, it's useless. Even if your pack breaks down, it wont really help you, and forbid you to do any scrambling with it or rely your life on it
Fuck, man, if you're using paracord to climb you deserve whatever befalls you. To say that it's worthless, though? That's simply incorrect. It's decent versatile cordage that doesn't break the bank. Every foot gives you 22 feet total line (one foot is the outer sleeve, the other 21 come from the seven inner cords split into their three strands each). Climb with it? No fucking way. But it's decent for lashing, fishing, sewing (your gear or yourself if you gotta, wouldn't recommend that last bit due to infection risk but whatever).

Unless your pack needs to carry for an extended stay (a month or more), then all of the useful things that paracord can do would be best done at home. Anything more than a first-aid kit is just being a hoarder.
>>
>>665543
>Unless you're in the mountains where the water is awesome, you should really have some way to purify water. I'll drink from a mountain spring where the water is just above freezing in midsummer without filtering, chemically sanitizing, or boiling. Anywhere else? Fuck that out loud, no screaming shits innawoods for me thanks.
You're right, I carry a lifestraw when I'm not sure my 2L camelback will be enough for the day

>Sling Shot > You silly kid, no
>Why not? They hardly weigh anything, are decent for taking small game (squirrel, rabbit, turkey, quail, grouse, etc.), and ammo is everywhere (pebbles, tree nuts, dirt clods).

Why killing animals ? It's not like you would die of hunger if you don't meat for a few days. If you're into it, you can take one, but it's sure not something that everyone should buy

>Paracord
Yes, it's harmless to carry some and can come in handy, but you can surely go along without it. I hike a lot (not overnight right) but I never came into a situation where I would have needed that can of line, neither I encountered any situation where If line were needed I had time to split it.

>multi tool
> when needed
In my opinion, there are not so many situation where you need one. I have a Leatherman Wave, I never used it while hiking, only while snowshoeing and snowboarding to use the screw driver. I agree it's good to have one sometimes, but I would not press anyone into buying one like if it's absolute necessity
>>
>>665337
Are you kidding me? Look at the position of the sun.
>>
>>665325
My personal list of things that are "needed"

Water & Water Acquiring/Filtering tools
Food & Food Acquiring/Cooking Tools
Fire Making Tools
Exposure Protection from the Environment

Everything else is not needed, merely frivolous, and a moot point to include, but I'll list it anyway:

Light Source
Knife
Axe
Shovel
Cordage
Communications Device
Compass & Map
Roll of Cash and some Coinage
>>
>>665536
>not using dragon's breath in your 12ga
It's like you want to tickle the bear and not start a forest fire.
>>
>>665577
Cloudy night or in a storm?
>>
>>665776
Just ignore him, "you don't need a le compass" is a meme.
>>
>>665818
>an age old, widely used and time tested accurate tool for navigation is a meme
>>
>>665858
Evidently, reading comprehension is also a meme.
>>
>>665868
I... er... miss linked the post...

>actually I just went full retard
>>
>>665451

>trekking poles

Just get yourself a good wooden hiking stick.
>>
>>665858
What about when it's dark?

>>666436
What are the advantages? Trekking poles can support an A frame tarp and are lighter. They're also easier to carry if you don't need them.
>>
>>665325
>backpack
>sleeping bag
>Tent that can be used as a hammock or regular tent
>rope
>knife
>some sort of fire starter
>field rations
>camelbak and perhaps a bottle
extra:
>casserole to melt snow or cook water
>medic kit, you never know
>extra socks
>towel
>toothbrush/fluor tablets
>thermos to keep hot water in
>carabiner
>>
>>666484
>easier to carry if you don't need them
you can just drop a stick if you dont need it and grab a new one later.
>>
>>665536
Heh, I was going to say something along the lines of >>665775

>tfw the rabbit you shot for dinner is already cooked by the time you track it down
>>
>>665334
I don't understand how you can get away with not changing clothes. Cooking foods in the same clothes you sleep in can easily increase your risk of a bear coming in to camp.
>>
>>666687
you'll probably smell like shit. I've been out for almost 4 weeks with only socks and boxers for change, and it works "fine"
>>
>>665818
i have internal compass
but it only works out in the woods
in the city i'm helpless
>>
>>665577
Lol dude a compass is a necessity don't try to argue that one

What do you guys think about bear canisters..? Gimmick or are you better off with one? I feel that if a bear got to my pack hanging from a tree my shits fucked anyways
>>
>>666662
also like to add to the list on extras:
>compass
>map
>headlight, just in case.

navigational devices are good too, but they usually have a low battery time.
>>
>>665526
I feel a multi tool is invaluable... I can use the file to strike matches, the pliers for picking up hot objects, repair, etc... Knife and saw for obvious thing.... And my rebar only weighs like 6 oz
>>
>>666484
>What about when it's dark?
You use a sextant or stay put for the night.
>>
>>666684
All you have to do is cut it open and munch away!

Also checking who got this post
>>666666
>>
>>666798
Aw fug, I missed it.
Anyone know what it was?
>>
File: IMG_20150910_094627.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150910_094627.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>665345
>>
I always carry paracord, at least 40 meters wrapped around my packframe and Friskars axe handle.
>>
>>666812
That looks like Australia (or Utah) though and that's not where I'm at m8
>>
>>665334

Missing a knife in that list.
>>
>>665325

Weapon*

Water

Ammo

Medical kit

Hygeine kit

Weapon cleaning kit

Fire starting kit

Axe, Machete or large fixed blade knife.

Pocket knife or multitool

Weather specific spare clothing like cold weather clothes or raingear. Even if in hot dry weather, a tightly rolled snugpak pancho can keep rain off you just in case and provide some warmth.

Tarp

Hammock

Large towel or blanket.

Rope and cordage.

Ultralight cookware and meal gear if you want.

---------

If electronics are important to you a hand crank for emergency charging you phone, gps etc.

*i'm not saying arm yourself like a commando and lug around a battle or assualt rifle, but guns are great for emergency hunting signalling but most importantly protection from animals and bandits

If in bear country, a .44 magnum revolver in a chest rig will do, or a .357 magnum in places without bear

Rifles in centerfire large hunting calibers or fighting calibers might not be a good choice due to weight unless your using light weight builds, carbines or bull pups but a take down rimfire can be good for survival and defense in the idea that having a long arm in view or in hand is visual deterant.

A shotgun is heavy but you can carry a variet of ammo for hunting birds and small game or medium game and self defense against humans and bears with the use of slugs.

Even if you live in a "peaceful" place where crime and bad things never happen, just please consider carrying at least a compact short barreled .357 revolver or hell, even a compact semi auto to prevent rape and murder and robbery.
>>
>>666801
it was me, I said "what happened to Bear Grylls?" then I deleted it
>>
>>666953
Where are you going /out/? This sounds paranoid.
>>
>>667028
Detroit, home of the most dangerous animal. The north american pavement ape.
>>
>>666944
knife already in OP's list
>>
>>665345
Build a stand out of PVC tubes then. Still lighter and more compact than a tent. Plus you sleep better in a hammock. PVC will be strong enough, and you can stuff it full of food or something else to conserve space.
>>
>>667039
>Hammock with a PCV stand is lighter and more compact than a tent
I feel like most reasonable tents would weigh in less than that, and I have no idea how you think PVC would be more compact.

>you sleep better on a hammock
Maybe you do but not everyone.
>>
>>667028
>>667029

Whatever man, there are plenty of people like you who go their entire life not locking doors or thinking about security or insurance until after a break in or robbery.

Just because bad stuff hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

------------------------------------------

I bet you think I'm paranoid for having paramedic bag in my truck.

Funny thing is, not a month goes by where someone gets a scrape or cut and there is not even a simple first aid kit around let alone anybody who knows how to use one beyond sticking a band-aid on.
-------------------------

It's like how people think the cork screw on a swiss army knife or leather man juice is use less until somebody needs a bottle of wine opened, hell, I got paid 20 bucks because I helped a brother out open a bottle for him. Also you can use the cork screw to undo stubborn knots.

--------------------

Same thing with pub crawling in the city, even though I don't smoke I have lighter with me, you'd be surprised how many social avenues I've opened up by having a lighter.
>>
>>667028
Southern California...sometimes you run into some unfriendly homeless people when hiking in the woods.

I learned when I was 24 that I was never going to get stabbed again without having a gun to answer the fucker back in kind.
>>
>>667044
That's a straw man, nobody is arguing about medical kits, cork screws or lighters.

Unless you're hunting the main upside to carrying a gun is the perception that it makes you safer which would be fine if it didn't make you and others less safe. In some cases I can see their utility, but when you're going /out/ and not planning on hunting I'd say it's generally a waste.
>>
>>667044
>there are plenty of people like you who go their entire life not locking doors

Kek. Why is this a thing? If you're living in fear then maybe its time to find a new city to live in
>>
>>667070
It's not about fear, it's about not being stupid.
>>
File: K & Out.jpg (216KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
K & Out.jpg
216KB, 760x596px
>>667066
>...perception that it makes you safer which would be fine if it didn't make you and others less safe.

San Francisco much, faggot?
>>
File: [email protected] (240KB, 1500x800px) Image search: [Google]
jpg_8kx5001990-750x400@2x.jpg
240KB, 1500x800px
Kx500
>>
>>667309
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>667310
(Anon who posted the kx)
A good two stroke is the most important peice of your pack
>>
>>667312
You're autistic.
A nice Klr650 has the low end power to get you over shit like rocks, if you ended up having to do anything enduro. I understand 2 strokes are lighter, and have more horsepower. I don't give a fuck, though. Either the Klr650 or the honda xr650l, is a reasonable and responsible bike. They come plated, so you don't have to bullshit some kind of blinkers and headlight, horn, that shit.
I guarantee you're some fucking autistic 15 year old who think people will respect him if he suggests a bike that'll rip your puny fucking arms off
>>
>>667314
>angry issues
>>
>>665325
>singlet
are you going /out or wrestling/having gay sex?

>>665326
>Long John Silvers
I should bring pirates?

>>665327
>Dragon dildo
this is going downhill quickly...

I don't know if I should quit while ahead.
>>
>>667320
>singlet
OP is wrestling bears
>>
>>665325
condoms
knife
rope
duck tape
>>
>>666484
>Trekking poles can support an A frame tarp
I like using paracord to tie the trekking pole up, then put the tarp over it. I also use some paracord to tie off the bottom corners of the tarp. It's a nifty little shelter and I can vary it based on weather/wind.
>>
>>666692
ooooh but it's the best shower evah when you finally get back to civilization, ain't it?
>>
>>666795
>What about when it's dark?
>You use a sextant or stay put for the night.
I bring cork and use my emergency sewing needle. I can't sew with a compass.
>>
>>667044
>Same thing with pub crawling in the city, even though I don't smoke I have lighter with me, you'd be surprised how many social avenues I've opened up by having a lighter.

I don't care how fucking hot she is, I'm not interested in a smoke smelling/tasting bitch.
>>
>>667326
aaah, so both
>>
>>667314
Don't know shit about Dirt Bike boy.
Big bore two smokes got low end torque for days.
and don't quit nearly as often, because they don't have a compression cycle.
>>
>>665526
>wise sir
>bad advice all around
Troll or faggot lost on his way to a tipping convention, you decide fair viewer.
>>
>>667066

Go home to Kenya Barry.
>>
>>667044
>Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it wont!
I could win the lottery too, but betting on it isn't particularly useful.
>Not a month goes by where I don't [treat cuts and scrapes like a school nurse] with my first aid kit
Uh, are you honestly saying that the useful thing of having a first aid kit is you can treat minor scrapes? Okayyyy.

>It's like a victorinox corkscrew
Mate. 99.98% of the time I'm opening a wine bottle, I have a better fancier one in a drawer right next to me that doesn't leave some of the cork in the drink half the time. What the shit are you on about?
>>
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

10 essentials. Next.
>>
>>665758
A knife and a light source is not 'frivolous' by any definition.
>>
>>667805
nice, I already had that bookmarked
>>
I'm always amazed that people think a compass will save their lives. Most people don't even know how to read one correctly, and even then it's useless without a map. If you're legitimately lost in the woods, go downhill and follow water. You'll need the water anyway, and it always leads to civilization. Need a general direction to head in? Look at the sky. Not to mention the fact that most of us have a GPS unit in our pocket anyway, I'm posting from mine right now.
>>
>>665758
>needs firemaking tools
>thinks a knife is frivolous

lol....
>>
>>665325
Leatherman tool
quality knife
good boots
headlamp
stainless cup
military style poncho and liner
wool everything
>>
>>668055
>>implying i will have signal in the far/out/s.
I find a compass and map as essential, especially if you hike somewhere you haven't been before. How would you know when to turn left or right?
>>
>>667089
I must remember to close and lock my front and back doors here on this summer-night because otherwise I am stupid. . ..
NO Dude - you aren't "prepared" or "sensible" - it is about your Fear.

That's why you have a "paramedic" bag instead of an ordinary first-aid kit ; in your "truck" instead of in your car.
"I've got to be ready for horrible things"
What did life do to you ?
>>
>>668055
>I'm always amazed that people think a compass will save their lives.
It will
>Most people don't even know how to read one correctly, and even then it's useless without a map.
Never heard of dead reckoning?
>If you're legitimately lost in the woods, go downhill and follow water. You'll need the water anyway, and it always leads to civilization.
Round here 1/2 the time it leads to a swamp.
>Need a general direction to head in? Look at the sky.
Yeah, follow the moon or sun, that won't cause you to walk in circles.
>Not to mention the fact that most of us have a GPS unit in our pocket anyway, I'm posting from mine right now.
While you don't need signal for that you do need battery. And a compass weighs less.
>>
>>670559
Where the hell do you live that you don't keep your doors locked at night? That is just irresponsible.
>>
Good jacket

Good boots

Knife of some sort (lots of people dont even bring a fucking knife)

Good backpack
>>
>>670576
It's not really if you live out in the middle of nowhere. I know people who live in a dense city who don't lock their doors when they are home. That might be irresponsible, but they've never had a problem with it.
>>
condoms and lube
>>
>>665325
nature walk:
>Sunscreen
>Sun glasses
>Compass
>Water bottles
>Map
>Good socks
>phone
>Something to snack on
>Tissues
>Bug repellent
>Photo ID
>Spare car key
>Preparation
>>
File: 1437639736307.jpg (51KB, 350x392px) Image search: [Google]
1437639736307.jpg
51KB, 350x392px
>>667028

And you sound like a liberal faggot.

Enjoy being buttfucked by Leroy.
>>
>>665776
How do you like at the sun on a cloudy night?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.