[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey sc/out/s, So I'm looking for a good pistol to take out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14

File: xdm-tfb[1].jpg (14KB, 428x314px) Image search: [Google]
xdm-tfb[1].jpg
14KB, 428x314px
Hey sc/out/s, So I'm looking for a good pistol to take out with me on solo overnight camping trips because I'm a scaredy man. Would a 9mm round be adequate protection to fend off wolves, bears, and skinwalkers?
>>
File: IMG_20151128_131720.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_131720.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>664887
Negative.

.44 mag or die.
>>
>>664887
9mm doesn't have a lot of stopping power for things like bears and moose. I would recommend 357 magnum - 45 ACP, maybe even a shotgun.
>>
>>664887
Non hunting gun threads go on >>>/k/

A fucking BB gun and a can of bear spray would be adequate protection because none of those are realistic threats if you know anything at all about camping and zoology.
>>
>>664900
>none of those are realistic threats

You obviously know nothing of skinwalkers.
>>
>>664887
No. 10mm or .44 Look at the Glock 20. Stop a bear or some creepy fuck on a trail.
>>
File: shot_placement.jpg (322KB, 800x1017px) Image search: [Google]
shot_placement.jpg
322KB, 800x1017px
>>664912
>Stop a bear
>with a handgun
good luck with that.
>>
First off I'd really really hate to shoot a bear. I know it' silly but if it eats meat I think of it on my level so in a way that is murder to me.

Anyways 9mm is no good for bear, a really hot 10mm is about the only option in "normal" hand gun rounds. I carry a Glock 20 myself, loaded with Underwoods 220gr load. Now i'm in western PA so i'm dealing with black bear and realistically if you are in the lower 48 states you are only gonna be dealing with black bear.

Unless you are living in western Montana you ant gonna see brown bear. I feel safe with my 10mm in my area, if I was in Montana or Alaska? I'd look into a 500 smith revolver, make sure you shoot it to get used to the recoil because it kicks like a fucking mule
>>
File: 1442632696657.jpg (80KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
1442632696657.jpg
80KB, 426x640px
>>664887
I'm a nogunz eurofag so I can't help you, but better carrying something good in the woods, anon.

Btw, how it feel to shot a gun? Is it fun as some people say it is? I would like to live in a free country to try it.
>>
>>664887
don't worry about it
>>
File: 102_0616.jpg (188KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
102_0616.jpg
188KB, 800x600px
>>664920
You're right. It was an absurd thought.
>>
File: IMG_20151225_103419.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_103419.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>664946
> poor fritz, hans, peirre

I love shooting! I have armmored steel plate rargets (AR 500) in the back of my truck right now.

I can load a few rifles, hand guns and go after work on the way home, there area many areas between to pull over, turn out and setup.

Many coworkers also go and we hqve had group shoots, where people bring what they have. I am working a group but for some .38 special with a guy at work next.

My biggest rifle cartridge is .30-06.

I shoot alot (ALOT) of .22 LR.

Not much of a shotgunner, but I have several in 20 ga, 12 ga and 10 ga.

Sorry for the blog, but Hans seemed sincerely interested and target spirts are DEFINATELY /out/, regardless of what the dirtbags say!

Uzi 4 you, pic related.
>>
>>664946
Like holding hands with death itself.
Like the efforts of a thousand men in one chunk of steel and fire.
Like the knowledge of engineer's devoting a life time to the science of death itself.
Like something you bought from a store or inherited from you're father's father, Took to you're home, cleaned it, learned it kept it true.
And the ability to obliterate anything in a mile of you.

It feel's like a right everyone should have, and only the truly unfortunate must be deprived of. And if you are not unfortunate, then by god claim you're right as man.

Go and make a gun dude. It's easy and fun and you deserve it.
>>
>>665105
Oh and you can kill stuff with it too....I guess.

I mean, just look at one from a engineering standpoint. They are beautiful. Like clockwork car's that can fit in a pocket and kill stuff.

How can anyone not like them?

To answer the question op, Any gun that you know how to take care of and shoot it good.

But i would get a 22. Chances are you won't shoot it much, and ammo is heavy. Best to have the most bang for you're buck.

Bears get scared of most things. But to be honest, if you are good enough to put ten rounds of 22 into a pie plate you can probably stop a bear with it.

Stopping power isn't real. Shock, pain, and spinal failure are the only reasons bears stop. Everything else take's more then two minute's to kill or shock the critter.

You are not going to out pain a bear charging, You might scare them off, but not a charge. Shock in the since of a big enough wound cavity is relegated to multiple pistol shots or well placed slugs. Think of a car made of meat. There are only a few places that will get it to die.
>>
dead weight
>>
>>664887
Got to /k/ and type 9mm in the search bar... they almost always have a thread making fun of that caliber and how idiotic it would be to use it as any sort of home or outdoor defense.
>>
>>665113
>the animal who kills people arnt plural
>0.3 deaths
>no total number of deaths given
>that down syndrome cougar in the bottom
absolute trash
>>
>>664946
another eurofag
you can always buy a bow or a crossbow
then build something like this with blanks and it's like pew pew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dmhyWvhjDI
>>
>>664902
I wouldn't worry about them.
>>
I'd recommend a 10mm Glock, they can easily fuck up a bear or moose.
>>
>>665118
Bra most militaries use 9mm handguns, its a legit round for people not so much for large animals.
>>
>>664887
If you want to drop anything, anytime, anywhere, carry a 10mm or .357 mag with an appropriate barrel length to gain maximum muzzle velocity. Those numbers are easy to find with google. .357 has been used for decades to hunt and 10mm is a man stopper but it can stop big mad animals too.

9mm isn't a bad round vs people but personally I wouldn't point it at a bear unless it was between that and a sharp stick.
>>
File: IMG_20160113_163826.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_163826.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>664966
Actual shooter here, muh steel.

> search /k/

Lol.
>>
>>665113
See guys, there is LITERALLY NO reason to be afraid of bears in the wild.
>>
>>664926
The Ralls County Sheriff’s Department says the shooting happened Sunday at the Salt River Gun Range near New London. Authorities say 25-year-old Andrea Jinneth Corredor-Rivera of Colombia died at the scene.

Corredor-Rivera died of a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Ralls County Sheriff Gerry Dinwiddie tells WGEM-TV that the woman was shooting a .500-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun when the strength of the gun’s recoil caused her to lose control. She was visiting family in the area.

The sheriff said the gun spun around in her hand, leading to a second fatal shot.
>>
File: rangerron.jpg (211KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
rangerron.jpg
211KB, 760x596px
>>664887
I have a solution!!!
>Pic related
>>
I would go with a Glock 20 if you're really scared of animals, because any bear or mountain lion or skinwalker is going to smirk at most everything smaller than 10mm. However your biggest danger in the woods is probably fellow humans. Either way it's a lot of extra weight.
>>
>>664893
Lol shut the fuck up before you get someone killed.
>>
either get an m&p shield / 9c , glock 26 / 19 , or a 12 gauge shotgun
>>
>scaredy man with a gun

Great, America needs more of that.
>>
>>665546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4venFPPzfs&ab_channel=WhoNEEDSCourage
>>
>>664887

15+ rounds of 9mm +p flat nose would fuck up anything you need it too. Plus, bears are afraid of loud noises.. whats better than a fucking gunshot?
>>
Glock 20 or 40 in 10mm.
>>
>>664887
9mm will fuck up a cougar or a coyote.

Blacks bears don't like the noise and run away when injured, so even if you don't kill it it'll run away.

Grizzly bears, you could kill with a 9mm, and contrary to popular belief, hard cast or ball 9mm +P will easily penetrate any animal's skull, but it's not as safe a kill as with something more powerful.

People who think bullets don't kill bears becasue bears are monster movie monsters are stupid.

General rule of thumb: grizzlys? get something bigger than 9mm no grizzlys? use what you have.

Also, the gun you can hit the target with and keep firing after the bear takes you down is going to be better than the gun that you miss.

So I'd prefer a 10mm or .460 rowland in a low recoil semiauto to a huge fucking revolver shooting really powerful ammo.
>>
>>664887
maybe get the smith and wesson governor
>>
File: grey-man.png (253KB, 950x652px) Image search: [Google]
grey-man.png
253KB, 950x652px
>>664887
>bears

Bear spray

>skinwalkers

Your choice of .308 battle rifle, godspeed komrade.
>>
>>665546
here's a (you)
>>
10mm for anything short of brown bear

.44 mag for brown bear and bigger
>>
>>665938
>9mm
9mm is not even close to being an option for brown bears. 44mag minimum. Even 44 is a little on the light side. Yes, you can kill a brown bear with even a 22lr, the natives can do it. But a charging brown at about 1000 pounds? I wouldn't count on it. And do you think you will get that many shots off on a charging bear? Did you say you think you can keep firing even after the bear makes contact with you? Anon, you may as well commit sudoku instead of trying to shoot a bear after you are knocked down. Bears run at 30mph, and most attacks happen at very close range. You are lucky to get two shots off at a bear. Make them count, use the huge revolver. And just forget about shooting a bear after you already got attacked. You really are better off playing dead and protecting your vital organs by just laying face down on the ground. He'll just chew up your butt. Its better than turning towards him and getting your face chewed off.
>>
>>665420
I grew up in alaska, and if you're afraid of bears you are the biggest pussy in the world and don't deserve a gun. The only time bears ever attack people is if they provoke the bear or surprise it. A .22 is enough for a bear because it will run at the sound of gunfire. Hell it will run at the sound of footsteps if it hears you
>>
>>665151
Royal nonesuch videos make me laugh. Or cringe. Never, however, have I wanted to emulate that dude. Polite sage for lack of content.
>>
>>666749
> Run at the sound of footsteps, Timothy Treadwell

Stop quoting famous people.
>>
Where I live pistols are illegal , rifles extremely regulated. Shotguns easy enough to get. Used to slays carry my old army bayonet while /out/ , guys used to make fun of me for it until one day three of us were innawoods , finished our couple of days ,back near a city , waiting for someone to come pick us up , four absolute scumbags started getting shifty with us , usual shit , what's in the bags , what you got , show us your watch blah blah , eventually one pulled a knife and told us to leave our shit and Fuck off , mate took out a axe I took out the bayonet and they fucked off.
Was still a tense wait for our ride , waiting to get ambushed by more of the fuckers

If I had a pistol God knows how it would have ended , but gun control works here so I was pretty sure they didn't have guns , low rent Scunthorpe like that wouldn't usually have guns
>>
>>664953
that's a hand cannon, anon
>>
File: IMG_20151129_164616-1-1.jpg (364KB, 1575x1126px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_164616-1-1.jpg
364KB, 1575x1126px
>>
>>666793
>Where I live pistols are illegal , rifles extremely regulated. Shotguns easy enough to get.
Canada?
>>
>>666866
It sounds more like Mesopotemia or Burkaburkastian.
>>
>>664888
>.44 mag or die
>Posts pic of a .50AE

Why not just Google pictures of a .44 revolver?
>>
File: IMG_20151126_171631.jpg (745KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151126_171631.jpg
745KB, 2048x1536px
>>666906
>.44 mag or die
> not knowing also in .44 and your fav color

Plebitron.
>>
>>666749

Just take a shotgun. Racking the slide is enough to scare it.
>>
>>666690
I said black bears you tard.

0/10.
>>
>>666866
>>666869
Republic of Ireland
>>
>>666690
Try re-reading his post, and this time try looking at the words. Nowhere did it say 9mm is adequate for brown bears. If you need help with definitions or understanding sentence stucture feel free to ask.
>>
>>665113
I'm not getting how a bear kills half a person? Did they just get halfway killed?
>>
>>666837
that's a backpacking/hiking gun. good choice.
>>
>>665442
>.500 smith and wesson revolver
>second shot due to recoil and gun spinning

the .500 smith and wesson is a hammer fired double action revolver

I'm having difficulty finding a decent level of just how unbelievably stupid this is. and I'm referring to the sheriff's findings.
>>
>>664946
I shoot a couple hundred rounds when shooting trap every sunday at South County rod and gun in exeter, rhode island. I don't live in exeter, but that's just where my club is. It's honestly one of the few things I really enjoy, and I look forward to it all week. In Europe you can get a 12 gauge, no?
>>
>>665105
why is poetry like this not on /k/?
>>
>>664887
I carry a CZ P-07. Its fairly cheap and very reliable. I don't have issues with bears here (mostly meth heads and coyotes). A friend of mine always took his glock 19 also 9mm whenever he was out in Colorado. I'd recommend either 9mm or .357. You'll be able to shoot cheaper .38 special and get more practice without breaking the bank. Not sure if I'd trust my 9mm against a bear but I figure its better than bear mace.
>>
>>664887
honestly based on my limited experience i would recommend a shotgun or a rifle. this is only because i live in Canada and we can't legally carry handguns around all the time.
>>
FN 5.7- i just shot one of these for the first time. I think it would annihilate any living creature, even a great big grizz.
huge plus is the 32 round magazine
>>
>>666844
Call me snake.
>>
File: 1450519417229.jpg (54KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1450519417229.jpg
54KB, 500x667px
>>664887
12ga with 600 grain slugs.
>>
>>666837
Lol no it's not. Solid choice for bears, that faggot said it couldn't be done I was just proving hi, wrong. Also Glock 20 will work nice.
>>
>>667086
It means one person dies every two years dude.
>>
>>667324
you can shoot at clay pigeons in some places in Germany without a license.
don't know what its like in the other countries.
>>
>>664887
No, get a .50 cal with tungsten/depleted uranium bullets and a HE core. That's the only thing with enough stopping power for your needs.
>>
>>664887
A Can of Bear Spray will do you much better than a gun. I'm betting you won't be hiking with it in a holster. And a gun in your pack is totally useless. Not to mention you will have to buy an ENORMOUS handgun to have any effect on a bear. so go ahead and add 10 lbs to your pack including ammo for a useless addition.
>>
>>664887
You don't have to worry about skinwalkers. We, er, they, I mean, don't actually exist and provide zero threat to your safety. So please, go /out/, the sooner the better!
>>
>>666906
>rimmed cartridges
>claims its .50AE

better go study up a little more buddy
>>
>>667325
Because it's not /out/
>>
>>666982
>>667032
>Grizzly bears, you could kill with a 9mm, and contrary to popular belief, hard cast or ball 9mm +P will easily penetrate any animal's skull, but it's not as safe a kill as with something more powerful.
>easily penetrate any animal's skull
I don't see where I screwed up desu
>>
>>664920

Magnum rounds were developed to take down large game with a pistol.

lrn2 internet
>>
>>668499
True.

>.357 magnum designed by S&W for bigfoot
>>
>>664887
Wolves will attack you only if you re their last source of meat and they will die if they don't kill you. They work in pack and will get you tired before they attack. No weapon will stop them.

Bears need something bigger. If he is already charging you, a mace would work better. If he is not, just get out slowly.

You need at least 12,7mm to get through skinwalkers carapace.

>>665113
>Elephants
Wat?
>>
File: IMG_20150909_113646.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150909_113646.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>12.7mm

I wonder if you /x/ers even know skinwalker?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.