[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Can we get a tipping thread going?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: tips.jpg (167 KB, 650x430) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tips.jpg
167 KB, 650x430
Can we get a tipping thread going?
I never know how much to tip.
I went flyfishing with a guide this fall and at the end of three days I just gave they guy a 50. I had paid the fees to the flyshop in advance and they really did not say anything about tips.
I got the feeling the guide was a bit disappointed.

This week I dropped of two snowboards and some skis to get tuned up. I pick them up tomorrow and have no idea if I am even expected to tip at all.


TLDR; tipping thread.
>>
50 are you fucking kidding me ? Should have just stayed home. what an asshole.
>>
I generally just tip with a rip.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 172x158) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 172x158
>>664628
>>
I am a very generous tipper. I will tip 100% to the breakfast waitress, esp if she looks like she's had kids and is doing meth.

$20 to a cable guy and $40 to a satellite installer, esp if he does an attic crawl.

$25 to anATV guide for a 2 hr and $45 to a jeep tour driver for a 3 hr.

$35-$55 for a hourseback wrangler and $5 to the clerk just for booking.

$125 to a helocopter pilot for a 55 minute tour.

$10 for a first night and $5 to a maid just to clean the room after I leave.

Why are you all such poor fags?

> you catch more flies with honey than vineger
>>
>>664695
That's not tipping its gloating.
>>
>>664719
> gloating

Only because you are not rcving, right?

It would be different if yoj were a cable guy or meth mom waitress.
>>
>>664723
>implying I'd work for tips

If you're going to bait then at least make it believable but you took the tipping meme too far.
>>
>>664736
> confirmed does not take helo, horse, jeep or atv rides

Someday you will do one?
>>
>>664695
bet you are bottom middle class, top lower class. Make maybe 45k a year right? We call you nigger rich. Most rich fags are cheap tippers. Myself? Middle of the road tipper.


Also tipping your cable guy? Fucking what? In america? With how the cable companies treat customers? Satellite is only a little less of a rip off, still not tipping them.

Also horseback? ATV guide? Are you a fucking tourist?
>>
>>664742
I'm no millionare! But I do lead an abundant life. It wasn't always so, so I enjoy the reaction of being unexectedly generous.

I save about 50% of my income, which is a good percentage. Who cares if I can gift the price of a 30 pack here and there? I'll pay for the guy's beer behind me at Circle-K.

It does me more good than not.

Atv trips in UP Mich, horseback rides in UT, helo tours at Grand Canyon. There ismore to life than you may know?

If breakfast is $13 and $13 tip, so what?

Maybe your mileage varies?
>>
File: 130543a.jpg (26 KB, 305x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
130543a.jpg
26 KB, 305x225
do MGTOWs tip?
>>
>>664769
I mean it's nothing to me but you sound like the typical 45k a year type of guy. Rich people don't do this type of thing because building wealth is a mindset.

I make 75ish k a year, yet I still eat cheap, live cheap, outside of my guns and maybe my hiking boots the rest of my things are poor fag tier. I've got my self a very nice house though with a older but reliable car,

I want to retire at 50 and live the good life, not work till i'm 70 then drop dead
>>
>>664630
Was that really a poor tip?
>>
>>664916
>I make 75ish k a year

You think that makes you a big guy?
>>
How the fuck is this /out/ related at all? Where are the mods?
>>
>>665178
For you. :^)
>>
>>665182

Some of us use guides to get the most out of our limited /out/ time.
How is this not /out/ related?
>>
>>664628
10-25% of what you paid for the trip, more if you like the person. Guides are universally underpaid, and given the amount of time and effort it takes to not only become a guide but to deliver that kind of experience it's polite to make sure that they don't feel like they've got their faces pressed up against the glass. The tips pay for things like a college fund for their kids or keep them out of lesser, higher paying occupations where their spirit and pleasant demeanor would wither and die.

Enjoy your ride? Tip the guide!
>>
>>664695
Fuck those other guys, keep on keeping on, dude!
>>
>>664916
> nothing to me

You betray yourself by putting your annual numbers on yourself, muchless me. It is obvious you _need_ to make it "something".

I give generously, because it means more to give to me, than rcv.

You're ok. Retire by 50 with what you need to keep to yourself.

I'm ok. I feel the need to be generous. It workscfor me, that doesn't mean it will work for anybody else and I'm fine with that.

> project

Tip a McDonald's cashier $5, but ask if you can tip first.

Fuck it! Blow thier mind? Be nice. Have fun. Give.
>>
tipping makes me feel good
its the only reason i do it
>>
tip a guide I'm never going to see again? Never gonna happen.

If it's somebody I use regularly there is no reason for me to tip them at all. They are paid a regular wage, not a tipped employee's wage.
They agreed to work for this wage in exchange for a service which allows them to do something I can only hope they enjoy. That is why they chose it, correct?

Tip a McD's employee? Never in a million years, if I actually went there.

The only service people I do tip are my hair chick because she's awesome and the person on the lake that pumps my boat gas. No real reason for that one other than they have a 6 week season and get paid crap and most are college students.
>>
>>665620
>If it's somebody I use regularly
doh, should have been:
If it's NOT somebody I use regularly...
>>
>>665620
>They agreed to work for this wage


No, they agreed to work for that wage plus tips.
How could you not tip a guy you broed down with inna /out/?
>>
>>665622
No...I'm a tipper myself but you're wrong. No guiding agency posts a job saying your wages+tips your clients must give you. It's a social norm yes but guides shouldn't be expecting tips to compensate for their employers underpaying them. It's a flawed system that's kept afloat by the fact that most people do tip.
>>
>tipping ruse thread

This is the equivelent of the /k/ thread where the guy said he tips the cashier at Gander mountain when he buys ammo.
>>
>>665676
You are wrong.
I was recruited after doing well in national fly fishing event to guide for a summer in a very exclusive place.
It was expensive to be there but the outfitter specifically told me that my tips would be far more than my actual pay check.
He was correct and I would not have taken the job otherwise.
>>
>>665620
>Short season
>Paid crap
Yeah, that sounds like a guide. Can we get your name and/or picture to make sure that you receive the level of service you're paying for? We'd hate for you to feel over-compensated.

Thanks.
>>
>>665676
I have had guiding agencies offer me work and refuse to pay higher wages because of tipping opportunities, and this was in Canada.
>>
>>666532
This affirms my belief. You are saying you would give me a less than advertised experience after I was told I would get a service for a price.

I'm not asking for a fucking happy ending here kids. Do your job for the wage you agreed upon.
Tipped employees make less than minimum wage. I tip them.
My bartender/waiter that I frequent gets tipped.
When I spend 400-1200 on a fishing trip I'd probably tip them for cleaning my catch as that isn't guaranteed.

I would do the same if I was hunting and they cleaned my kill.
>>
>>665621
> I stiff people of lesser means because I'm an asshole

> knowing if I go back, they will spit in my food and piss in my drink

Whatever works for you
>>
File: kotter11.jpg (47 KB, 394x403) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kotter11.jpg
47 KB, 394x403
>>666805


I used to be a bartender.
At the start of every shift I would take one type of each glass and rub the rim on my anus in the bathroom.
If anyone was mean or known to tip poorly, they would get served in one of these glasses and the staff would giggle.

good times
>>
>>666688
What, you'd still go fishing and come back in one piece. Service delivered. What's your fucking name?
>>
>>666688
>Do your job for the wage you agreed upon.
the wage agreed upon includes a tip.
not tipping is breaking the social contract
>>
tip bump
>>
>>666876
I don't even pretend to understand what kind of 'threat' you're making. I'm supposed to pay more because capt bob got me back to the dock safely? He owns a $100k boat, that's his job. I said I'll tip the dude that is filleting my catch.
>>667027
You guys are both on crack, a tip is NOT assumed.
A tip is not agreed upon, if it were it would be a service fee.
I have no social contract with the service provider. They offer a service, I pay a fee for that service.

You do humor me though.
>>
>>667469
>a tip is NOT assumed
>>667469
in america it absolutely is assumed
>>
>>667476
It's like talking to a fucking doorknob...
>>
>>667483
I feel the same.
You might not like it, but tipping is firmly implanted in the american culture.

If you dont do it you are breaking the social contract.
I dont know how else to explain it to you.
You can either accept it or be an autist.
Up to you.
>>
>>667491
Well for what it's worth I'm going to reevaluate my position on this.
Obviously I'll continue to frequent and tip my local fav restaurants which was never in question.

What I've decided is for things like fishing expeditions, et al I will ask their policy on tipping at reservation time. If they expect tips for anyone other than the truly menial workers I will cancel my reservation. For example a fishing excursion typically runs from $400-1200 depending on length of trip and limit on # of people. I take these fairly often.
I'm sure Capt Bob may notice that I'm not going any longer when his kid's college tuition is due. Or maybe he won't. I don't care. I'll find someone who's policies I agree with and support them.
>>
>>667512
i am not sure what the culture is around boat fishing.
I only know flyfishing guides damn sure expect to get tipped .
not sure what you would be told over the phone though.
no one likes to straight up say you need to tip, its an awkward conversation like you might have on the east coast.
out west you are just expected to know these things.
>>
>>667469
Let me spell this out for you. Guiding is primarily about delivering an experience. Sometimes that means just enabling somebody, sometimes that means engaging them on a more human level or enriching the experience by taking them to better locations/staying out longer/ensuring a fuller experience. That takes effort. Effort that is usually rewarded through the gratuity. Since you don't seem to have more than a mechanical concept of human interaction I can see how you'd fail to pick up these subtle acts. So why don't you show us your bitch face so we know not to bother when you roll up and just sell you the "extended package" instead?
>>
>>667483
>>667491
>talking to a fucking doorknob
I know how you feel...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States
>>
>>667580
Because you have moved me so, I'm will to offer a compromise. You post your bitch ass face.
IF I ever go on a guided tour and see it I will promptly remove myself from your tour. In fact I will tip you $50 just to allow me to walk away. It's become quite evident to me that you are upset that you haven't been tipped as much as you feel you deserve.
What's also pretty evident is you are a douche and probably suck at being a guide which is why you aren't getting tipped.
I expect this will be the best $50 I've spent in a long time.
>>
File: v on tipping.jpg (23 KB, 432x289) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
v on tipping.jpg
23 KB, 432x289
>>664628
>tipping
>anybody
I genuinely hope you do not do this.
>>
>>667761
Not the same angry guide.

I don't need every client to tip.
The fact is that a few rich clients evvery week seem to give me over the top tips so everything works out pretty well even if you get a few cheapskates.
I am honestly not even bothered by it.
>>
your mom accepts tips
>>
Tipping is retarted, in many countries it's not even a thing so idk why it's such a big deal in the US.
>>
>>667850
Because we have to freedom to tip as we please
>>
>>667850
It's so companies can get away with less than minimum wage and common people have to soak up the cost. Though of course a lot of people who do get tipped make far more than minimum wage because of it, and often quite unfairly.

Yeah, it's shit, but what can you do when private firms own your government.
>>
>>667853
>>667853
This is so wrong.
Tipping is a hack against the powers that be and it lets some people make more money than they normally would.
This is why we usually reserve these jobs for attractive or interesting people with good social skills.
We want to give them a leg up while the pursue an acting or music career.
>>
>>667847
Just because you are correct doesn't mean you are right
>>667851
Just because you are correct doesn't mean you are right
>>
>>667918
I gave your mom the tip.
>>
File: 1448507694796.jpg (49 KB, 330x479) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1448507694796.jpg
49 KB, 330x479
>>668195
Ha! you are imply make the sex to anon mother yes?
I think its funny too!!!
>>
>>668944
Haha! You get joke, my funny!

She so fat and ugly, funniest part! I still do the sex to her! Haha!
>>
File: did not tip.jpg (8 KB, 236x156) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
did not tip.jpg
8 KB, 236x156
Tonight two coworkers took me out to eat since I had done them a huge favor and kept them from being fired.
They were black men.
They did not tip and when I offered to cover the tip it got awkward and it ended up that no tip was given.
Holy shit I feel like a gangster...
I think I had better not cultivate these friendships though...
>>
>>664742
>tipping the cable guy

I worked for insight communications years ago. If I was caught accepting a tip I would get a written warning. 3 written warnings and your ass got fired. Instead I would ask the customer to call the company and tell them how pleased they were with the service. I would get a $10 bonus.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
Thread DB ID: 461293



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.