[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leather Conditioning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: z2011a.jpg (33KB, 647x576px) Image search: [Google]
z2011a.jpg
33KB, 647x576px
Grettings /out/, I am a 4chaner but a rare visitor to your thread
But I figure what the hell we all are all family and you might as well help me, so I come to you with this:
I own a leather(buffalo) flying jacket for more than 8 years and I am in love with it
Problem is it has started cracking
How do I take care of my second skin?
Wax it? Smear fat on it?
I know how to take care of my leather shoes, is it the same procedure?
Pic somewhat related
>>
File: 1405336438065.gif (1MB, 252x197px) Image search: [Google]
1405336438065.gif
1MB, 252x197px
Boop
>>
Noone?
/out/ is not bothered with leathers?
>>
>>664603
/out/ is a slow board, especially during US nighttime.
For jackets, it's best to use leather milk/creme since regular grease is a bit rough (esp. on thin leathers.) Waxes and polishes are strictly prohibited.
Proper care of a leather jacket is done in the summer so it hasn't seen rain for sometime. One to two months of complete dryness is recommended - any moisture absorbed by the leather will be trapped inside by the grease and can turbofuck your garment.
If it's started cracking already and you never properly took care of it, it's certainly too late.
>>
>>664610
Truly thankful my dear friend
>If it's started cracking already and you never properly took care of it, it's certainly too late.
I am being paranoid
Not cracked yet, but looks like it "wants" to crack
So better wait until summer to take care of it?
Also I suppose to stop wearing it since it started to draw moisture
>>
ok first of all you are a retard for not knowing how to take care of a leather jacket ok. You probably sit inside all and are a dumbass. 2nd of all buffulla leather ? You fucking kidding me ? American beef leather is the best quality there is period, might as well have bought pleather. Go ask your mom u moron.
>>
>>664603
Leather is a terrible material for an /out/ jacket. Not waterproof, not breathable, takes forever to dry, no insulation to speak of. Your request thus firmly belongs to /fa/, but I will still answer:
If you want to preserve the leather and keep it soft, but not make it waterproof or something like you would with boots, you will want a leather conditioner. These things are usually fatty or oily with little wax, unlike bootcare products (which can be entirely wax these days... but I digress) There's a bunch of products, most of which will work more or less. Check what kind of leather you have and how it's prepared, then find a product that seems to fit. If you already see it cracking, it's high time you applied something.
>>
File: JACKET_BERETTA_C_4e44e3f7b0180.jpg (319KB, 823x565px) Image search: [Google]
JACKET_BERETTA_C_4e44e3f7b0180.jpg
319KB, 823x565px
>>664619
I thought this was a /comfy/ board
>>664622
Much appreciated
I dont use it for /out/, its for urban use
I use pic related for /out/ since we are at it
Feel free to r8
>>
>>664610
Actually, I heard that some prefer oiling the leather while slightly damp. (Because it has a rougher, more absorbing structure then.) Supposedly the oil enters an emulsion with the water and allows it to pass. Either that's a matter of different products, or one of these is fuddlore...
>>
Jesus Christ, so many morons in this thread.
Don't listen to that stupid fucking idiot that said that leather should only be cared for in summer, what a fucking mongoloid.

OP, first thing you do if your leather needs cleaning use a soft brush to get any dirt off.
Second, mix equal parts white vinegar and water, take a soft cloth and dampen in mixture, gently wipe leather. Make sure the cloth is only damp and not wet!
Third, let leather dry for a few minutes, it shouldn't really be wet anyway.
Fourth, apply a leather preservative, rub gently over all leather, it is fine to work small section by small section.
Personally I use Viberg Heavy Duty Leather Preservative, it's all natural and works incredibly well, it also effectively makes your leather water proof (though regular application is required to keep water proof obviously, though you don't want to over apply).
I use it on all my leather, it works fucking fantastic.
>>
>>664633
No, that's true, but it's mostly for harder and thicker leather (typically saddlework.) It's also for people who know what they're doing.

>>664654
>White vinegar
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>664659
FUCK off retard. You do realize leather is a natural material, that has a pH?
Please, tell me why vinegar is bad to use on leather as a cleaner. Really tell me the science behind your mongoloid views, you fucking nigger.
>>
>>664625
Nothing comfy about this board mate, outdoor hardmen! I say this sat at my desk, working a 9 to 5 as a software engineer.
>>
>>664654
OP here
Thanks for your advice
Most solid and detailed until now, since you seem to now your shit:
Is seal fat a good 4th step?
It is what I use for my leather shoes and be very happy about the result
>>
>>664666
Cheers mate, me on the other hand I am a Marine Engineer
I have learn to respect how harsh nature can be but this thread is about how can I recondition my ol'leather jacket
>I work /out/
>I hunt /out/
>I dont use leather on either of those
I just want advice about how to take care of my good 'ol leather jacket IS THAT SO FUCKING HARD
>>
File: 1449432718478.jpg (109KB, 738x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449432718478.jpg
109KB, 738x640px
Ok /out/ I am going to sleep now
I wish goodnight to you all
Thanks for your responses and your help
>>
>>664688
kecky kekstein i wrote that o so long ago. check out this even more batshit emergency blanket pic.
>>
File: BLOG 013.jpg (214KB, 1043x1600px) Image search: [Google]
BLOG 013.jpg
214KB, 1043x1600px
>>664622
>Leather is a terrible material for an /out/ jacket

Shows what you know. Look at this /out/doorsman in his sweet leather jacket.
>>
>>664805
n-no homo
>>
>>664674
Personally I would never use animal fat on my leather, animal fats are the most likely to go rancid.
Also, completely not needed if you use Viberg Leather Preservative, it gets the job done and will not go rancid.
>>
>>664591
I like to use Montana Pitch Blend on my boots. It's mink oil + pine pitch. Nothing else.
>>
File: ssoap.jpg (35KB, 392x395px) Image search: [Google]
ssoap.jpg
35KB, 392x395px
>>664591
Hard to believe nobody has mentioned saddle soap. It's a useful and common leather cleaner and conditioner. Look it up.
>>
>>664677
>I just want advice about how to take care of my good 'ol leather jacket IS THAT SO FUCKING HARD

Do you bodyslam wolves with a batoning knife in your teeth from the top a cairn wearing your leather jacket? If not then GTFO newfriend.
>>
>>665169
Saddle soap is 100% not a conditioner or preservative. It should really only be used on saddles, or incredibly dirty leather. For 99% of consumer uses a white vinegar/water mixture will work better as a cleaner.
>>
>>665185
You are 100% not correct
You are 100% a faggot
>>
>>665240
SOAP is not a conditioner or a preservative.
SOAP does the same thing to leather as it does to human skin, dries it the FUCK OUT.
Kindly go shove that soap up your asshole and come back to tell us how it moisturized it. I'll laugh at your dry and cracked asshole.
Dumb fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>665281

Have you ever used it before? It's not literally just soap.

From wiki:
Saddle soap is a proprietary compound used for cleaning, conditioning, and protecting leather. It typically contains mild soap, softening ingredients such as lanolin, and preservatives such as beeswax. It is commonly used on leather footwear, saddles, and other items of horse tack, hence its name
>>
>>665281
>>665284

In any case, neatsfoot or mink oil is better, but saddle soap works ok, is fairly cheap, and easy to find.

My mom used to have horses when we were growing up and we used it on all kinds of leather with no problem.

Simmer down rage machine.
>>
File: mixa bébé.jpg (158KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mixa bébé.jpg
158KB, 1500x1500px
If you're still here OP, I used this since forever, and it works like a charm.
I don't know if you have this in the states, but it's really great to nourish the leather, and it's cheap as fuck.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.