[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to eat seriously damaged/hamburgerized grouse meat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: grouse.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
grouse.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
Is it safe to eat seriously damaged/hamburgerized grouse meat?
I shot one through the top of the breast and it messed it up pretty bad.
I was going to slow cook them anyways...think it'll matter?
>>
I'd do it. I hunt ptarmigan and grouse. Don't have any pictures of my kills on my phone though.
>>
OP here.
Yeah, consensus from the mates seems to be go ahead. I finally got sloppy with my .22lr shooting and missed the headshot, but since they're faster bullets at closer range I don't think I have to worry about eating hemorrhaged meat- it seems in birds your biggest worry is consuming shot fragments.
Enh, if I get appendicitis from eating a bullet fragment I'll let you all know.
>>
File: CCI mini mag round nose.jpg (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CCI mini mag round nose.jpg
66KB, 1000x1000px
>>663882
>.22lr
>damaged meat
Are you using hollow points or something?

You really should switch to solid points if you don't want to completely fuck the meat up on small game.
>>
>>663889
Good point. I hadn't even thought about this.
I always buy the cheapest stuff available (almost always hollow point), but this will save me a lot of waste next time I decide to take a shot I shouldn't.
>>
>>663889
Nah this is shit-teir advice. Use hollow points for real man!

Had a few fucking grouse fly off, run off and generally disappear when shot with solid points.

Hollow points all the way for me!!
>>
>>663877
As long as no feces or nasty gut juices got pushed through the meat it'll be fine; it'll be bruised and less appealing, but the taste won't be much different.

Different story if you pushed guts, feces, and offal juices through the meat by pulping it with a poor shot with a shotgun.

>>663889
Nope. This is shit advice.
Headshot only with hollow point for best results. A marginal shot will miss altogether or kill with a hit to the neck. Result is no wasted meat and clean kills almost every time.
>>
>>663975
>>663912
Thanks bros!
>>
>>663975

Can guts and such not be washed from the meat? A good washing would surely take care of any surface contamination, would the nasty juices be absorbed into it to any depth?
I'm asking more in terms of rabbits, I've heard if the guts are pierced it ruins the meat but I always thought washing would surely fix it.
>>
File: bird.webm (1MB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
bird.webm
1MB, 940x529px
>>663879
This is a ptarmigan I shot.
>>
>>664015
Noice
>>
>>664015
>not dead
i hate when that happens
>>
>>664225
At the very end of the webm it died. They flap around when you shoot them.
>>
>>663889

This. I've used solid my whole life for grouse and have been disappointed by the damage caused by hollow point .22 ammo when I've had to use it.

Shame that hp is more common and typically cheaper where I'm from.

>>663912
>>663975

Get good.
>>
>>664250
So you'd opt for a less damaging headshot? That's pretty autistic pal. Care to share your thought process?

>>664250
>Get good.

Solid points result in more wounded birds that don't get recovered.

Hollow point = more damage...on a head or neck shot this is zero waste.

With a solid point, a marginal headshot could mean a grouse walking around with half a beak left to starve and die a long painful death. On a marginal headshot with a hollow point, poof there goes its head.

I'm a very good shot with my 22 out to 100m and I'll pick hollow point every time.
>>
>>663994
Bump for this, if anyone knows the dealio
>>
>>663994
It's not 100% certainty, but it uos the risk of contamination.

Rabbits in particular are nasty because they have such an inefficient digestive system (they have to eat, poop and then eat the poop again).
>>
>>664640
Risk of containminaton ? thats some pussy shit right there. my meat is from the wild ok, purest shit out there. factored farm meat will kill you faster than anything.
>>
>>664413

We're all great shots on the internet.
>>
>>664646
if you cant shoot sub 0.60 MOA you shouldnt even be allowed a hunting license. way too make rednecks with guns these days. pathetic.
>>
>>664652

Sure.
>>
>>664645
I'm glad you've got fresh meat.

Here's a fresh (You) for ya, buddy.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.