[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top 5 most self sufficient food producing plants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: genericfilenameJPEGZIP.jpg (79KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
genericfilenameJPEGZIP.jpg
79KB, 539x960px
read title

live in South East Queensland, Australia.

Humid and wet summers, also very hot, min temp is probs 24 Celsius during summer

Damp and cold mornings in winter, min temp during winter is about 10 celsius

currently have tomatoes, lettuce, carrot, corn, strawberries, and more

Tomatoes and corn are doing great, rest seem to be struggling with the heat, except for carrots, which are going alright.

soil type doesn't matter, as it is complete shit, and I plan on just buying premixed gardening soil and adding fertilizer

So /out/ can you please suggest to the most suitable plants for my area, and out of those, the ones that will produce the most nutritious fruit. Goal is to live off own produce(1 person)

pic unrelated
>>
FNQ here, I've got sweet potato that keeps coming back,
birds eye chillis keep appearing due to the birds,
a vast selection of citrus because i like my rum,
hoping to keep some asparagas alive this time,
trying for carrots and assorted other veggies mainly whatever bunnigs seed packets are availible,
oh and going for pumpkins and a pineapple just from the seeds and the top of store bought ones....
all bar the citrus and chillis are kinda dependant on my sailing schedule tho.
not sure if that gives you any ideas, but I too will be monitoring this thread
>>
>>663556
Are you after natives in particular or plants that will grow well in your area? There's plenty of books on what grows well in different region, otherwise go to a plant nursery and ask them.
>>
Legumes can improve soil quality because their roots are beneficial to the growth of nitrogen fixing bacteria. I don't know how self-sufficient or advanced you are trying to get with this project though.
>>
>>663556
Okra will do very good in humid hot areas
>>
Check out Eden seeds instead of bunnings. Propagation rates are super high compared to the shit there. Also, if you're going to mix up new soil, I'd suggest Searles 80+ Peat. $11 for 30L at my local nursery. Everyone I know swears by it.
>>
Hylocereus
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.