[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any /out/doorsmen ski? I just got back from my annual ski trip.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: 20160106_102851_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20160106_102851_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Do any /out/doorsmen ski? I just got back from my annual ski trip.
>>
I'm actually working at a lodge this winter.

I've skiied more in the last month than most people will ski all year.
>>
>>663192
where is that?
>>
>>663203
Alpe D'Huez in France a little below Pic Blanc.
>>
I just got back from La Plagne yesterday. Snowboarding though (because i'm way too cool to ski, yo, word up bro).

How were the conditions in Huez?

We had 4 glorious days and then the last two were a little iffy, with slushy rain shite falling on the friday.
>>
File: 20160109_124043.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_124043.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
Muh playground. Ski tour solo, not a shred machine but I try.
>>
>>663192

I've been living in Summit County for 4 years. I board though. Just got my split and skins.
>>
>>663282
About the same. No snow on Monday then a huge dump that night, then a little to to up on Wednesday, with shitty snow/rain on Thursday and Friday.
>>
Finally started snowing a week ago. Still needs to snow one or two meters until the basis is good enough to go though.
>>
>>663562
Fuckin dammmit.

Still, a fuck load better than the week previous eh.
>>
File: DSCI0956.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0956.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>663628
>the week previous eh.
Damn straight.
Zillertal in Austria, dec26 throu jan5. First week was literally 10-15°C day heighs. Srsly wtf. Pic related.

Kinda fun though once you got used to the artificial snow because it was really empty. January got really traffic-jam-y on some tracks.

You know I dont mind the beginners and newbs going slow, because yes, speed is scary. But then I see folks with near perfect technique deliberatly going slow on an almost flat stretch of the track with no reason not to just "put the pedal to the metal" and then literally and seemingly on purpose blocking the whole width... I mean srsly if you're good enough to either be fast enough or not stand in the way of everyone else, why would you not do that??

Also
>old people ski like they have no idea how to drive a car
by this I mean
>this is where the track splits, you can go left or right.
>you need to go right
>LETS STAY ON THE LEFT FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, THEN CUT EVERYONE OFF AS YOU SWING OVER TO THE RIGHT
yea I mad sometimes
>>
You know it's an El Nino year, why must you torment me with your pictures of snow?
>>
>>663192
Love skiing. Wife doesn't know how. We might make it up to wintergreen so that she can take a snowboarding lesson. (She took one in the past and was better at it than skiing)

Dream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRz63RDmbI
>>
>>663716
El Nino means massive snow for resorts in the lower rockies.
The best snow this year is in Taos and Santa Fe.
Santa Fe is better for intermediate skiers and Taos is really only for experts.
>>
>>663679
I actually exacerbated a knee injury by ditching off the groomer because of someone else's lack of mountain awareness.

>La La La, I'm the only person on the slope, La La La.
>>
>>663679
Haha yes, you mad indeed.

Nothing quite so depressing as the sight of a ski resort desperately fucked for snow eh, like your pic related. Those white lines over bare earth. Pic is a crop from a webcam I was watching the week leading up to my trip... Sad as fuck, desperation in a jpg.
>>
File: image001-726574.jpg (71KB, 945x274px) Image search: [Google]
image001-726574.jpg
71KB, 945x274px
>>663746
Oh I know that kind of image much too well from the recent months.
>>
File: image004-796968.jpg (84KB, 945x708px) Image search: [Google]
image004-796968.jpg
84KB, 945x708px
>>663759
But it's getting better bit by bit.
>>
File: P1080573.jpg (283KB, 1200x726px) Image search: [Google]
P1080573.jpg
283KB, 1200x726px
>>663761
That's waaay more like it.

My first few days in La Plagne looked like pic related. I love that snow covered trees shit.
>>
>>663720
That would be nice if I lived anywhere near there, but you're stealing that snow from Canada and the NE.
>>
I'd give it until mid-late feburary until the snow starts to pack up. Glad I didn't go to the Alps for Xmas
>>
>>663562
It wasn't too bad. I don't mind the heavier wet snow and it kept the red and black pistes nice and quiet. On the drive up the road the the resort there were runs that I had skied last year that were just grass though.
>>
Any XC (nordic) skiers here?

I-I'm not the only one right...?
>>
File: street ski_VP8.webm (2MB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
street ski_VP8.webm
2MB, 720x406px
>>664865
No you're not. But I haven't been able to get out yet this shitty excuse for a winter.
>>
File: 3t1slh.jpg (62KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
3t1slh.jpg
62KB, 600x405px
>>663192
>>
>>664868
Can a good pair of skis fulfill the requirements of snowshoes on relatively flat terrain?
>>
>>664875
A good touring setup is far superior to snowshoes in almost all situations.
>>
>>664875
Depends on snow conditions but I'd say that usually XC skis are as good or better, and also more fun.

If you're going to be breaking trail in deepish snow, especially in the woods, look for backcountry touring XC skis. They're shorter and wider for float and maneuverability than skis for groomed trails, and mine have a metal edge and sidecut for easier turns going down hills.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.