[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /out/, I've just spent the last year working as a laborer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 2243234.jpg (445KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
2243234.jpg
445KB, 849x565px
So /out/, I've just spent the last year working as a laborer in rural construction and have come to the conclusion that I'd rather off myself then work a desk job no matter how much money it made me. What kind of trades/skilled labor positions should I look into if I want to work outside with my hands?

I live in eastern Ontario
>>
>>663065
I landscape and live it. Mind you I live in BC so I can work pretty much all year. Well we take a couple weeks off around Christmas and January is really weather dependent. Personally I see the little bit of time off as a perk though
>>
>>663065
Computer programmer. Get with Y2K.
>>
>>663065
Recruitment professional here.

In my experience, millwright jobs are decent in terms of skilled trades. The outdoors kind of industrial millwrights aren't in demand right now though, with things in Alberta the way they are.

You already have construction experience though, so I suggest you become a construction millwright, the payrate is roughly 25-40/hr depending on experience and the contract. If you are gonna do it, try to become a dual ticket millwright/industrial electrician.
>>
>>663065
In the winter time you can get a job as a lift mechanic or snowmaker. The more remote resorts will house and feed you for the season so you don't have to commute.
>>
>>663065
If you decide to go the hands on labor route (which I myself prefer) have a plan to start your own business or move up quickly at your company. The work will wear you down so having a position or job you can fall back on will give you a few more years to stay active. Ive seen men in their 80s still working as laborers
>>
Carpentry
>>
>>663065
>>663065
Get a job installing solar panels anon.
Do grid ties and remote installations.
In just a few years you can go out on your own.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.