[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

have any /out/doorsmen been confronted by a park ranger while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

have any /out/doorsmen been confronted by a park ranger while illegally camping? I've recently moved universities and kinda want to go overnight camping with a fire etc... but i don't want to go to overcrowded tenting parks.
what do?
>>
where do you live?
>>
>>662388
If you're in the US, go to a National Forest and camp outside established grounds. It's called dispersed camping and it's free. As long as there isn't drought conditions and/or you aren't above a certain altitude you can also have a fire.
>>
>>662415
>you aren't above a certain altitude
What is this restriction?
I have never heard of this.
>>
>>662418
Some places like Snoqualmie/Mt. Baker in Washington have fire restrictions above a certain altitudes to protect alpine environments because it would take too long to get fire crews in to that part of the back country to do any good.

Some forests have it, some don't. It's pretty easy to look up on the district websites and it's usually posted at trailheads and Ranger stations.
>>
>>662404
college station texas
>>
>>662423
I think what OP is asking is how do you illegally camp with a fire
>>
>>662426
Why wouldn't you just legally camp with a fire? There's more places you can camp with a fire than you can't.
>>
>>662418
It's usually 9000-11000ft depending on the terrain/park
These areas are too ecologically fragile for people to burn all the dead wood
Things grow slowly at high altitudes, and dead wood is an important part of the ecosystem
If people burn it up, there is less wood for things that eat dead wood, and things that eat those things, etc. It's also habitat.
If you burn all the wood, it will never recover in your lifetime

And camp away from the waters edge
>>
>>662426
>>662425
If OP lives in Texas then he doesn't have to worry about altitude restrictions, just drought-related burn bans.
>>
>Sierra backpacking for 20 years
>Rules say you must bring bear cans
>After first trip, never do
>3.5lbs!!!
>One day ranger walks into camp
>In an area where there are no bears
>"Do y'all have bear cans?"
>My friends: "nope, we have Ursacks"
>"OK, Imma let you off with a warning this time"
>Thanks Mr. Ranger
They should have just said they were in our packs
>>
>>662429
>Overcrowded campgrounds
>>
>>662437
I've often wondered about this. They can't search a bag without consent, right? They definitely can't search a tent, as its legally a temporary residence, and therefore requires a warrant.
>>
>>662473
Dispersed camping.
>>
>>662480
illegal
>>
>>662489
Nope, not on National Forest or BLM land (and even on some state land).
>>
>>662494
Can verify. The forestry service website even gives tips (and rules) for dispersed camping on federal land.

Pretty much just know how to build a responsible fire, pack your shit out, and don't stay more than two weeks in the same spot. Pretty lax, if you ask me.
>>
>>662479
IDK
It's never gotten that confrontational, even when a Ranger spotted a bong in our camp
Rangers get nicer, and rarer, the farther you get from the trail head.
>>
> go to Forest Service Ranger hut
> ask where is it illegal to camp
> ask what aeras they DON'T patrol
> laugh manically, repeat the word PICKLES loudly
> slam door on way out
> do burnout in parking lot

I see no problem here.
>>
Never experienced something like that, but it would be fun to try it once illegal camping that is

http://www.miljodirektoratet.no/en/Areas-of-activity1/Outdoor-recreation/Right-to-Roam/
>>
There's actually so much free camping land around me it would actually have to go out of my way to camp illegally. Like I'd actually have to drive to a housing development and set up camp in someone's backyard.
>>
>>662849
Search for documentary called 'Camp Katrina', lol.

Btw, I'm 23 miles from town and surrounded bt National Forest, so also hard to camp wrongly.
>>
>>662388
I'm wandering the same thing but in Canada
>>
>>662430
Its that high out west. Out east it is often much lower as their mountains don't get that high in their old age.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_125131-1.jpg (245KB, 2048x1244px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_125131-1.jpg
245KB, 2048x1244px
>>662979
> out east
> mountains

Pick one. East coast fags have "hilly country", not mountains.
>>
>>662979
The Appalachians are a very old range, way older than the Sierra.
Mountains get shorter when they get older
>>662982
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_%28New_Hampshire%29
It's only 6,288 ft, but the weather looks fierce.
>>
>>662982
The Whites, Smokies and Dacks all have substantial relief to produce orographic effects that will kill your ass from exposure. Its enough for me.
>>
>>662942
Don't worry about it, crown land = free to camp. Just clean up after yourself
>>
>>663427
Ya that's pretty much how I do things anyway. Just wandering if anyone else has had problems with Ranger Gord on their /out trips. How about provincial/national parks?
>>
>>662812
I laughed uncontrollably for 45 seconds +/- at this. I am going to bed.
>>
>>663443
Well I was partying at Anderson beach outside of squamish and the CO's effectively act as police out in the boonies. We were sitting in a circle smoking a doobie, and they rolled up and were like "you guys smoking pot?", and we're like "nahhh". Then they said have a nice night, remember to clean up.
>>
>>662425
There's a national forest North and South of you. Go disperse camp.
>>
>>663571
God I love British Colombia
>>
>>662437
what is a bear can? or an ursack?
>>
>>664049
A bear can is a can that bears can't open. You're supposed to use them in places where bears are, but people who aren't dumb just hang their food in a bag between two trees instead.
>>
>>664054
In some places there are bears that have figured out the whole "getting into a bear bag slung between two trees" trick. Of course there's also places with bears that have figured out the "Bear Cans break open if you chuck them off a cliff" trick. Neither method is going to stop a determined and experienced bear, but using a Bear-Can saves you the trouble of having to find suitable trees.
>>
I work as a Rec Tech in the Winema National Forest on my summers, basically I stock all the shitters, and clear all marked roads and most trailheads of debris

>be taught basic camping laws
>stumble across someone obviously camping outside designated limits, or near historic landmark
>they're not making a mess
>they don't have a fire (yet)
>not doing anything illegal
>not being a nuisance or burdening other campers
>I saw nothing

I work for a very small department so maybe they're just lax, but I was only trained to report or prevent illegal camping when there was an obvious crime being committed or the wilderness was somehow in danger.

I've only had to call a superior on two instances.
Once, I shit you not, these teenagers were having a bonfire out of the cut juniper the state had been clearing, directly by a river with a pH test pending (signs everywhere), at four in the afternoon.
The other, these two strung out fellows were gutting a dear behind their camp trailer. In June. In one of our most popular fucking camp sites.

From one of the only FS occupations that might access a road leading to an illegal campsite, /leavenotrace/ and you will be fine. Even the more stern Recreation employees will just tell you to scram.
>>
>>662388

Twice. Once on the San Carlos Indian Res in Arizona, tribal cop asked for my permit.

> cop: permit please
> me: here
> cop: thanks. Have a nice day

No BFD.

Before that, was camping on the side of the road leading in to the dept of energy weapons testing facility in central Nevada, and a van full of troops stopped to make sure we were ok.

> DOE qt3.14: you guys ok?
> me: yup
> DOE qt3.14: ok. Have a good evening
> me: I'll be in muh bunk.

She was smokin hot.
>>
>>664444
4 fours
>>
>>664463
Yup. Totally fricking random. Don't even know how to play. Completely wasted on the old guy.
>>
File: ranger.jpg (58KB, 400x248px) Image search: [Google]
ranger.jpg
58KB, 400x248px
Michibro here and I’ve encountered Forestry Service rangers several times over the years but only once has a ranger been a dick.

> camping in Huron Nat.Forest
> Forestry Service rolls into camp
> “hay guys, are you driving dirt bikes off the market trail?”
> “no, we don’t have any dirt bikes.”
> “BULLSHIT! I KNOW IT WAS YOU AND I’LL BUST YOU IF I CATCH YOU!”
> “huh? WTF, dude?”
> drives off in a huff
> 10mins later
> some guys go driving past on dirt bikes
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.