[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THERMAL BIVVYS - GROUP BUY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 740335-1.jpg (43KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
740335-1.jpg
43KB, 880x660px
I found a source for thermally reflective olefin, the same stuff that SOL makes their escape bivvys out of (great product), but the roll is much more material and more expensive than I want to get. I want to know if anyone would be interested in a group buy?

The material is rain proof, breathable, thermally reflective and very durable. I could make envelope style bivvys with this material on top and waterfroof polyethylene on the bottom for about $20 each. I already make a lot of my own gear, and this would be a pretty simple project. The temp rating and breatheability should be identical to SOL's: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/740335/adventure-medical-kits-sol-escape-bivvy-emergency-survival-sleeping-bag?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CJiX7IvgksQCFYGUfgodangAtw
>>
>>662369
The bivvys would be about 2.25' x 6' with an overlap to shed water in lieu of a zipper to save on cost and carry weight. I need at least five people for the group buy. Total cost after shipping of the material to me and a finished bivvy to you would be around $25. I'm also planning on dyeing them OD green, but may be able to fill requests for other colors depending on how many people buy in/if you want to throw in a couple extra bucks for a special color.
>>
id be willing to buy one. Maybe another later if i like it.
>>
no, they bivys would make a great wind breaker or water barrier, but they are worthless shit on their own. and the only practical use for them would be as a weight saver, if you could use them on their own, but you cant

ive been through SOL and all these shits..
the best one is the thermal tent made out of a tyvek-like material

it only requires an EVA foam mat roll to be placed at the bottom to prevent tearing, but that only sweetens the deal by providing insulation from the ground. they both are very light, much lighter than the most expensive backpacking tents, and do provide great warmth and protection, if you can manage the moisture build up.. which requires to keep a flap open or maybe make you own venting, but its still practical after everything is set up and all the effort is made
>>
OP here.
>>662522
That's great to hear! If we can get a few more people on board, we can make this happen.

>>662526
You are right that they don't work well on their own. The metallized layer reflects radiant heat but conducts conductive heat. They do need to be used with at least a liner. I like the thermolite extreme liners with the SOL bivvy, but even a fleece liner would work great with these. The intention was to have the bivvy and liner cost effective enough that they could be used for emergencies, loan items, or in caches without fear of losing a heafty investment.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.