[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a job for the Department of Conservation. My job basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: map-stewart-island.gif (12KB, 172x247px) Image search: [Google]
map-stewart-island.gif
12KB, 172x247px
Just got a job for the Department of Conservation. My job basically entails spending a week+ at a time in pure bush tracking an endangered animal. The ones we have now have a serious problem with inbreeding.

Wondering if /out/ has any advice for me. I'm going to be down in Stewart Island (most southern island in New Zealand) by myself. Obviously going to have gear and food supplied by DoC when I arrive next month but yeah, any advice?

Specifically:
>food
>equipment that would be most useful
>general advice for dealing with weather

I've worked for years as a hut ranger, but never lived in the actual bush. Not sure what to expect really.
>>
Kill yourself you parasite fascist welfare grabber rather than fuck around in the woods fucking everything up
>>
>>662092
How am I a welfare grabber?

Surely working to help a species on the brink of extinction is not "fucking everything up"
>>
Swazi Poley shorts.

Theyre like normal stubbies but made from the quick drying tricot material used on the Swazi thar.
>>
What animals are you tracking OP, and what exactly does that entail? Do you pass out pamphlets to the animals about how they shouldn't fuck their sisters and how they qualify for SNAP benefits?
>>
>>662071
Don't worry OP, these reckless faggotry is because the basement dwellers are jelaous of you.
Please tell us more about your new job.
>>
Google MKM workwear and get the active singlet and active T-shirt. Theyre not as rough as shearers singlets but harder wearing than ice breaker merino.
>>
>>662099
Why not let it die, instead of wasting a bunch of money and time protecting 100 inbred individuals of some bird or something in an attempt to make ourselves to make ourselves feel better.
>>
>>662099
>oh look an endangered snail
>gibs money for dems programs
>oh I need your land that your family owned for 200 years
>ooh I will drive thru this pristine meadow in my $40,000 government 4x4 because I was thinking about the conference in hawaii
>oops ran over some snails
>gibs more land
>need mo money for dem programs
>global warming is killing snails
>need mo money
Ad finitem you brainwashed granola faggot
>>
>>662351
That's some weak-ass bait, man.
>>
>>662351
You sound really ignorant
>>
>>662382
Don't feed the trolls.
>>
File: kakapo.jpg (58KB, 250x376px) Image search: [Google]
kakapo.jpg
58KB, 250x376px
>>662071
You got a job looking for Kakapos?
>>
>>662285
>>662351
Poor quality bait back to b faggots
>>
>>662071
that looks like japan
wow
>>
>>662401

I hope its whitetail deer but probally not.
>>
>>662071
>>662401
OP tell me you are going to look after Kakapo's they are my favorite bird ever.
If so how did you snag that job?
>>
>>662443
>whitetail deer
>New Zealand

Deer aren't really considered endangered in Kiwistan.
>>
>>662412
>people who hold opinions different than mine must be insincere

God how much of an ego do you need to have this thought process
>>
>>662382
You sound like you were educated in public schools
>>
>>662138
>Swazi Poley shorts
Shit those look pretty comfy desu

>>662149
Kakapo. We just need to capture any that might still be alive in the wild (Might be extinct for all we know). Inbreeding is a massive problem with the 100 or so we have in captivity.

>>662285
Because they used to be the most common bird in NZ. We're going to attempt to eradicate all pests on Stewart Island soon as well, so getting a healthy population is important if reintroduction is something we want to consider.

>>662401
Yeah

>>662471
Worked as a hut ranger in Fiordland for past 9 years on and off.Every few months a hiker would tell us they think they saw or heard one one and I'd immediately go out with a DoC dog to try and track it. The problem with Kakapo is they're all from a population in Stewart Island and we're desperate for some from the mainland to add to the genetic diversity. DoC has hired hut rangers from around the country to go and find some in any place there may be an existing population. I'll be tracking parts of Stewart Island that may hold populations distinct from where we got the existing ones. Others are checking very remote/high up parts of Fiordland.
>>
>>662546
Footwear is all important on Stewart Island. Get white gumboots before you go to the South Seas Hotel.
>All the locals wear black Red Band gumboots. They all know each other, so wearing Red Bands won't help you fit in.
>Tourists don't wear gumboots. Anything except gumboots means you're a tourist.
>Fishermen wear white gumboots, because that's what they're issued. Fishermen come and go, so the locals don't expect to know them all. and they're not fcking tourists.

Also beware of politics. Make sure you know what the bloke you're talking to thinks of DoC, 1080 etc before opening your mouth about such topics. Otherwise you're liable to find yourself trying to pick up your teeth with a couple of broken arms.
>>
Want to get a Canuck a job? This sounds fun. We can be the "Best Undetected Team of Two" Buddies, aka BUTT buddies.

Sounds good, ya?
>>
>>662482

White tail and Sambar should be managed as a resource like Wapiti.
>>
File: Kakapo_DvW2007.jpg (2MB, 1728x1157px) Image search: [Google]
Kakapo_DvW2007.jpg
2MB, 1728x1157px
You kiwis ought to get some of these guys together and sell them to a reputable commercial breeder of some kind.
These things would fly, figuratively, as pets. I'd really like to see what the market could do for them.
>>
>>662546
Kakapos? Seriously? I'm pretty damn jealous OP.
>>
>>662485
You can't really call angry shitposting from fat basement dwellers an opinion :^)
>>
>>662611
Problem is their breeding. They only breed every 3-4 years, and even then many of the males are basically sterile.
>>
>>662631

>fat basement dwellers

Once they get fat they turn into Feminists
>>
>>662632
Well, sell off the infertile ones as pets and use that money to research breeding more from the fertile ones.
>>
>>662546
God speed you magnificent basterd
>>
>>662099
The people on this board who claim to be nature and outdoors enthusiasts get their knickers in a twist when they see an animal species being protected. Means they can't shoot it dead. Infringes on their constitootional rights or something. Murricans.

Congrats on the job, OP. Sounds absolutely wicked. I'm planning on seeing your country later this year (I'm an ausfag). I have no helpful advice other than to try this forum http://bushwalk.com/forum/
There's an NZ section + they'll give you helpful general advice which you definitely won't find from this bunch of shit brains.
>>
>>662656
I can't speak for them but it might be due to the corruption in the USA's federal bodies for protecting animals.

For instance, did you hear about those tortoises related to the Bundy case?
They said he couldn't have his cattle on some land because the cattle fucked up the land for endangered tortoises, or something.

Then it was revealed the government had killed hundreds of the poor little buggers when some program stopped being funded.
>>
>>662099
Good job op
People have no idea how many more animals there were, even 100 years ago, compared to now
Especially young people because they haven't lived to see it happen during their lifetime
>>
>>662707

I don't know much about the Bundy story apart from what is in the news about their attempted revolution at the moment.

I agree that governments do need to be better at getting the community on side for conservation programs. If it means re purposing productive land for habitat preservation purposes etc, landowners should be compensated.
There's no doubt a lot of fear mongering out there though from extreme libertarian movements about land rights and stuff. "The government is going to take all your land away from you and there's nothing you can do about it". I'm not American but I'm sure that not true or legal. It's not here in Australia. Mining and gas companies on the other hand...
>>
>>662754
You're assuming that all governments act in good faith, though. By the look of American law their endangered species protection law exists now to protect endangered species as much as exert control over their population.

I think in our country, while there is plenty of corruption, it is more small time and we can trust our government more than they can.
>>
dont play with any sheep while your there cuzzy ;)
>>
File: AnimasBeforeAfterDurangoPost.png (231KB, 480x317px) Image search: [Google]
AnimasBeforeAfterDurangoPost.png
231KB, 480x317px
>>662707
When your government spills millions of gallons of toxic waste ruining hundreds of miles of pristine river and the responsible employees keep their jobs and instead of prison gets bonuses you get a little jaded.

And then you see 2 guys go to prison for burning 100 acres in a state where the government allows or causes over 500,000 acres a year to be burned you realize the government is your enemy.
>>
>>662898
Dude, don't shit up OP's thread about NZ with your beef with the US government. It's rude.
If you want to air your grievances start your own thread again.
>>
>>662937
>Butthurt EPA/BLM faggot detected
>>
PLEASE TAKE REPELLENT BEFORE YOU GET RAPED BY SANDFLIES. There will be swarmr of the bastards
>>
COOK DAH MAN SUM EGGS!
Also Pukana.
>>
>>662099
Ignore the Seppos, they just got some coboys against government shit cooking and are paranoid as always.

Got any human contacts on that island, or are you all alone?
>>
>>662707
Are you just going to be a butthurt anti-government crackpot in every thread?
>>
>>662898
You know they are in the process of cleaning it up right now and people make mistakes right?

Not to mention a report came out saying that the levels of contamination are going back to pre spill conditions.

Whereas, many superfund sites caused from corporation negligence aren't being cleaned because they instead spend millions on studies trying to do less cleanup
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.