[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snagging/snaring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

I am giving serious thought to snaring some of the carp and other bottom feeders this spring and summer with the intention of releasing them. Will this kill the fish? I just want to experience the fight. I can think of no other way to catch some of these monster fish at my local spillway.
>>
> I just want to experience the fight.

Not much fight when you snag a fish. It's about as fun as reeling in a tire.

Also if you catch any, kill them. They destroy the environment.
>>
>>662035
> same could be said for snagging hobos
>>
>>662035
How do they destroy the environment? I've never heard that before.
>>
There's an argument to be made for killing non-native fish that you catch; sometimes it's required by law. Carp are non-native, and in some cases I think they cause significant harm. Just be sure they're actually carp; there are large native fish that look similar, and certainly should not be killed on sight.
>>
I wouldn't snag anything I didn't intend to kill.
>>
http://www.opb.org/news/article/turning-around-malheur-refuge-one-carp-carcass-at-/
>>
>>662063

>carp are non native

Technically in my state so are brown and rainbow trout
>>
>>662075

>Bucy says Malheur Lake currently has only 5 to 10 percent of the productive bird habitat it provided before carp were introduced

This kind of mismanaging by the government shows why the wildlife refuge had to be seized from the government and returned to the ranchers they stole it from.
>>
File: AX21XY_1922183b.jpg (20KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
AX21XY_1922183b.jpg
20KB, 620x388px
Geys pls no sneg k?
it hurtis me ;_;
>>
>>662086
lol
>>
>>662082
Brown trout aren't native anywhere in the USA. There's an argument to be made for their removal, non-native browns and rainbows, as well. Personally, I wouldn't kill any fish I didn't intend to eat.
>>
>>662112
>I wouldn't kill any fish I didn't intend to eat.

That puts you squarely afoul of the law in many places.
>>
>>662116
Which fish are designated as must-kill, and also inedible?

Doesn't matter though, even if there was such a fish, and I caught it, there's a good chance I'd release it and risk the fine.
>>
>>662121
I consider carp and pike inedible even though there are humans that consume them
>>
>>662121
I'm pretty sure snakehead and carp are like that.

Peacock bass are an interesting case. I'm not sure if there is a keeper and size limit, but they are an invaisive species that I don't think the DNR hates. They are great for sport fishing and they pretty much just live along largemouth bass in the food chain.

I need to read into it more and see what the official stance is. But people seem to love the peacocks, but everybody knows to kill snakeheads.

We also have all sorts of wild pythons.
>>
File: image.jpg (168KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 640x1136px
>>662121
>>662147
>>
>>662147
I hear snakehead isn't bad eating, and I've seen more than a few reports that people who have tried grass carp prefer it to most other fish.
>>
>>662046
Most carp are invasive in North America
>>
File: bigmouth2.jpg (41KB, 480x372px) Image search: [Google]
bigmouth2.jpg
41KB, 480x372px
>>662254
Pretty sure all carp in N. A. are invasive, but there are native lookalikes. Here's a bigmouth Buffalo, native.
>>
>>662254
Smallmouth Buffalo, native.
>>
>>662221
I don't eat anything I catch anyway. I stop at McD's on the way home. But snakehead are supposed to be decent.

When I was like 12 years old, I was fishing at this little pond at some park by my house. I caught a ~24" carp and some Mexican dude came up to me and gave me $5 for it. He fileted it up and grilled it right there at the park.

>>662046
>>662107
Besides being non-native, I believe the issue is that they mess up the lakes and destroy vegetation. They will cause clear lakes to become muddy. And they get so big that nothing really eats them, so they end up infesting small lakes and ponds and end up eating/destroying a lot of the same stuff that fish at the bottom of the food chain rely on.
>>
>>662158
>>662121
Same as in Ausfag. Any Carp caught must not be thrown back. They shit the place right up
>>
>>662123
>Pike
>inedible
Pick one
>>
>>662941
Its the y bones that turn me off tbhfam
>>
>>662123
>pike inedible
Nigger what? Pike is awesome eating fish
>>
>>663018
Learn to clean them then it's not that hard
>>
Don't snag for catch and release. You're opening them up to infection and many will just die later anyway.
>>
>>662028
Snagging fish is illegal in the province of Ontario. If you're caught with foul hooked fish you could be fined
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-10-17-46-14.png (311KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-10-17-46-14.png
311KB, 1080x1920px
>>663237
http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/crime/2015/02/18/toronto-man-nets-20-day-jail-sentence-for-fishing-violations.html
>>
>>663244
>>663244
And I thought commiefornia was bad
>>
>>663258
It's illegal in almost every state here you know
Let OP get caught snagging, it's a shitty thing to do and isn't in accordance with fair chase conventions
>>
>>663260
>>663260
Its perfectly legal in my state during snagging season.
Also I doubt anyone here would go to jail over it.
>>
>>663265
What state? Also that guy was jailed because he didn't have a fishing permit and was fishing using an illegal method and caught over the quota for licensed fishermen
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.