[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is coming in the mail right now, and I've never slept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: 541839.jpg (186KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
541839.jpg
186KB, 880x660px
This is coming in the mail right now, and I've never slept in a bivy before. What am I in for /out/?
>>
The feeling like you're in a cozy cocoon
>>
>>661673
Everything I've been reading today is telling me that I'm going to be wet as fuck 24/7 and that all of my sleeping system will be trashed after 5 days, but I very, very much want to believe you.
>>
File: PA091102.jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
PA091102.jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>661672
The first time I slept in one I heard every single noise. Every leaf that rustled, every twig that snapped. I swear that at some point I was being sniffed by a woodland critter. It takes some getting used to.
>>
>>661677
You are going to be wet as fuck.

Hate to break it to you, but staying dry is kind of difficult if there is any weather at all. If it were possible in using a glorified sleeping bag......the homeless world over would rejoice.

It isn't.

But the best way to learn is first hand. Me, I like either a hammock when it is warm or a floorless tent + stove when cold. If I want privacy or a snug as a bug in a rug feeling, I do a bivy inside the tent.
>>
You know that feeling when you have been swimming all day and your skin feel's like its about to shed?
>>
>>661678
That looks like a nightmare. Every campsite has rodent scavengers running around. It's a design weakness just like hammocks when rats can claw your face
>>
Don't fret. I looked at the same bivy today.

Keep in mind, I have no intention of buying said bivy, but I did investigate it.

It's a great emergency shelter. It's light, easy to set up, and can weather a pretty good storm if need be.

I have a friend who I hammock with. Hes never used a tarp. Just sleeps in his bivy inside the hammock. Hes never complained.

A bivy is awesome if you're on the move and don't want to set up a tent it hammock. They're great for short trips, or trips where weight is a priority.

Having multiple options for sleeping is great. Just because you have a bivy doesn't mean it's the end all be all. You can pick the bivy for some trips, tent for other, hammock for other trips.

Don't regret it. Bivy sacs are unique sleep systems that most definitely have earned their place in a sc/out/s arsenal.
>>
> what am I in for
A bivy. Get over it.
>>
File: r9kfag.png (4KB, 766x413px) Image search: [Google]
r9kfag.png
4KB, 766x413px
Did into the ground where your head and butt go if you can. You sleep flatter if that makes sense.
>>
>>661788
MGTOW pls leave.
>>
>>661801
> I dig flatter butts, you trigger me, stop
>>
>>661788
That just seems like a good way to wake up in a puddle to be honest
>>
>>661811
You seem like the kind of person who has never slept in a bivi.
>>
>>661804
> file name is r9kfag
>>
>>661672
Unless you're claustrophobic it's awesome. That's the GI bivvy, right? SOL makes a mylar+tyvek one that's amazing. Protip: put your mat inside the bivvy, and cut down ground cloth under, and sleeping bag and/or liner inside.
>>
>>661815
The topology is sound.
>>
>>661815
I had to call it something.
>>
>>661677
I've never had any issues in the rain just set up a tarp if it looks like it'll be wet.

>>661678
My favorite part!

>>661672
Ignore the haters. They've probably never been /out/. Bivvy is my preferred sleep system when solo.
>>
>>661818
Yeah it's the GI one. I thought the pad was meant to go inside and there wasn't supposed to be any groundcloth?
>>
>>661826
You don't need a ground cloth, but it will definitely help protect the bottom of the bivvy and won't take up so much space or weight that it's worth leaving behind.

I keep my bivvy, pad, ground cloth and liner together, and roll it all up as a single unit. This puts the ground cloth on the outside of the roll so everything stays dry when it's strapped to my handlebars.
>>
>>661751
> just like hammocks when rats can claw your face

>Goes out into the wilderness, gets blisters 2 hours in and decides to stop for the day, seals himself hermetically inside a 50lb shelter-tent-kitchen-3bedroomportablehouse, surrounds himself with tacticool survival gear and has zero practical skills, watches youtube clips on his phone the entire time because nature is too slow and boring, leaves empty beer cans and empty nacho bags behind, suddenly gets mauled to death by a bear.

as it should be.
>>
>>661837
You mad that rats claw your face m8?
>>
This is off topic, but how many of ya'll use trekking poles?
>>
>>661847
And wool cloaks, plague masks, katanas and ghillie suits?

> inb4 old fag detected
>>
>>661847
i actually suck dicks and i won't be seen using trekking poles
>>
>>661851
This

If you must use them if you hear someone coming hide them
>>
>>661847
Nope. If it's not one of the big four, it's just superfluous.
>>
>>661850
>>661851
>>661858
>>661859
This is how I feel, but all these nice tarp shelters rely on them if there aren't trees around. I think something like an REI quarter dome or passage tent just ends up being the most functional thing.
>>
>>661847
Everyone who is serious about hiking or backpacking uses them. Others don't.
>>
>>661866
This.

The absence of trekking poles is what killed Ötzi
>>
I have one but I hate it. There's no way to really fix a bug net to it and there's nothing to keep the bivy itself off your face. It feels like sleeping with a plastic bag over your head. I'm a fairly small guy and there still wasn't any room to movie around, if you can't sleep on your back forget it.

The green patrol bag that goes with the bivy is really great though. I've been using that for years.
>>
>>661864
I just make do with what I've got. If it starts raining and there's no trees, I'll just wrap my bivvy up in my poncho no biggie. The whole point of going /out/ is to test your mental fortitude and ingenuity. If you can't survive without trekking poles, you probably shouldn't be /out/ in the first place.

>mfw people used to aquire everything they needed with stone tools and nowadays most people can't make do without a portable house.
>>
File: WP_20150101_09_55_23_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150101_09_55_23_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3072x1728px
>>661672
It's good shit, OP. Remember to spray it with waterproofing material and roll the top flap back so you don't suffocate or drown in your own sweat.
>>
>>661874

I just make do with what I've got. If it starts raining and there's no trees I get hypothermia, I'll just sit there and die, no biggie. The whole point of going /out/ is to test your fortitude and ingenuity. If you can't survive without a bivy, you probably shouldn't be /out/ in the first place.

>mfw people used to aquire everything they needed with stone tools and nowadays most people can't make do without a portable house.
>>
>>661895
where can i find an archive of the threads that biker dude made on his trip across the states?
>>
>>661986
That was your comeback? Suggesting that I've died of hypothermia? As in ...prior to writing that post?

Your parents must be so proud of the man you've grown up to become.
>>
>>661864
Homeless person here, i carry a small tarp around with no poles and have never had a problem
>>
>>662175
Why are you mad? Just because I'm mocking you for sleeping on the ground with the rats?
>>
>>661864
>but all these nice tarp shelters rely on them if there aren't trees around.

Do you live in a desert? There's always trees around.
>>
>>662308
Do you use exclusively WiFi or panhandle/earn enough to keep a data plan?
>>
Would anyone be interested in this?
>>662369
>>
>>662505
>body bags

I'm sure the FEMA camps will provide one for you after you are dead
>>
>>661850
>And wool cloaks, plague masks, katanas and ghillie suits?
And hammocks.
>>
>>662538
I haven't died yet, I don't intend to start.
>>
>>661672
i never got wet in my bivvy. I have a picture of myself inside a swimming pool in my bivvy. my clothing didnt get one drop of water.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.