[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boots advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: Boots.jpg (462KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Boots.jpg
462KB, 1000x1000px
I was looking for a general boot advice thread by there was none so I am opening this.

I got a voucher for a 100€ plus now shops are on sale, and my local outdoor shop has the models on picture with the following prices:

Scarpa Ranger 129€
Merell Crestbound 129€
Columbia Excurion Mid LTR 130€
Anatom Q3 Braeriach 200€

If you have in mind that I have a 100€ voucher I might be paying between 29€ and 100€ for a pair of boots.

Now, I live in Ireland so I need something waterproof and I am looking for something with leather(bad experience with cheap fabric boots) and of quality that will last me years if properly taken care of.

From a starting point of view the Anatom look well constructed, but never heard of them. The others are famous brands, but look like if they put more shit on the boot than needed, as in extra patches of leather, extra stiching which will probably be the point were it breaks.

Any advice or experience with the listed boots
>>
Those anatom look really good indeed
>>
File: 20160108_111834.jpg (784KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160108_111834.jpg
784KB, 2048x1152px
i have a pair of the Scarpa go up.
they are brilliant and Scarpa is a solid brand, so personally if pick the Scarpa but thats just because ive never ownedor held any of the other brands
>>
>>661279
Are those Scarpa whaterproof?

Thing with the ones on offer is that they are not waterproof, but as far as I understand you can make them waterproof with treatments over the leather.
>>
>>661266
Is there a chance you can try them on first?

A lot of it comes down to preference. I love my Merrells, but someone else might not like the fit. They're all fine boots, but it's what works for you.

Columbia boots are hit or miss. I've tried on some that are nice, and some that just don't feel right.

I can't comment on the Anatom or Scarpa. Never had any experience with them.

I wear Merrell Moab waterproof boots. They're a favorite around /out/, and in love mine.
>>
>>661266
I've had a pair of anatom boots for about 2 years, they've been fine. I think they're Q2s. They used to be the UK distributor of superfeet insoles and then started making boots.
>>
>>661287
Yes, I can try them and will definitelly do, but first I am looking into reviews on quality. The only thing I see with the Merells is the cut inwards on the fron of the boot. I can see that becoming a whole and water filtering there.

>>661292
What about the sole? Has it fallen apart?
What kind of use did you give them?
Daily?
>>
File: File 08-01-2016, 12 04 05.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
File 08-01-2016, 12 04 05.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>661294
Just for general hillwalking. In summer they get used for ~10 mile walks in the fells around 1-2 times a week, in winter they generally get used less. Have used on multi-day trips with no problems. I clean and reproof them with nikwax liquid when they start to wet out. The soles have been fine, mine are vibram soled.
>>
>>661283
I gave had no problem so as far as I know they are waterproof. Not like Wellington waterproof but I've sank in plenty of bog mud and deep puddles without issue. Haven't waded any streams or anything in em but I doubt that's their design anyway

Only treatment I've done is give them a little bit of leather fat to bring out the color
>>
>>661283
If there's no gore-tex in them they'll likely last you longer actually. You just need to keep them waxed and they will be waterproof, just make sure the light brown stuff at the tongue is leather.
>>
>>661266

Hey OP, know this is off topic but have you checked out zamberlans? Specifically zamberlan vioz? IMO it's worth the effort looking for them.

I've gone through 4 pairs and they're the only boot I'll buy. Maximum comfort. Literally my favourite place to put my feet. Retail for ~250 aussie dollarydoos, so roughly around your budget.
>>
>>661301
That is what I have heard and read, that goretex has an expiry date and after that it goes shit.

That is why I was considering those scarpa which aren't waterproof and waterproof them.

Probably it will be between the scarpa and the anatom. Scarpa for 30€ sounds really good.

>>661309
As I explained I have a voucher that will cut the cost of those boots by 100€ so I am stuck in that local shop which is the only one which accepts the voucher. Thanks though
>>
>>661309
>I've gone through 4 pairs
How long does one pair last you?
>>
>>661294
Try them on first dumbass as most likely one will be more comfortable. Also waterproof boots are stupid (heavier, $50 more, worse for feet) nothing is waterproof and once the inside is wet it takes days to dry out. If you want waterproof you need rubber hip boots.
>>
>>661316

About a year. Did do a lot of off-track walking/hiking for work in them though. Typical work day involved 10-20km walking. Did this on a 5 week-on, 2 week-off roster for a number of years.
>>
>>661266
From experience I can say that Merrell make very comfortable, high quality footwear.
>>
Merrell MOAB. Fuck leather.
>>
>>661266
Just by looks I would recommend either the Scarpa or the Anatom, especially for the rubber rand, based on what you said you wanted.

>>661309
I just ordered a pair of the zamberlan guides, very excited. I do hope they fit well
>>
File: 128376f.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
128376f.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>
File: Lowa.jpg (214KB, 1020x680px) Image search: [Google]
Lowa.jpg
214KB, 1020x680px
Lowa renegade. Proper equipment is in short supply where i live, but i could get these with gore-tex. How good are those in summer(hot/warm weather)?
I need good boots for year round use this means also in wet and cold weather. Kinda skeptical about the price
>>
>>661380
No.

I don't like walking around with wet feet. If I had non waterproof boots and walk through a soggy field in the spring, then my feet are wet all day.

If I have waterproof boots, my feet are fine.

I know this because I've done it both ways.
>>
>>661664
I agree, my Moabs are awesome, but even the Moabs use leather in their construction.
>>
>>662179
A properly waxed leather boot is pretty much waterproof. A waterproof membrane such as gore tex will eventually be worn down and break. They also take a long time to dry out if they get wet.
>>
isn't there a cheap boot company (like <$70) that is actually pretty reliable? waterproof and such.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
I've found at least for my environment (mostly desert) trail runner and gaiters are by far the most comfortable. No matter what I wear the first hour or so on the trail my feet get all crampy... After that they're great. It's kind weird.
>>
>>662180
Yeah but it's pretty minimal, not like an entire outer.
>>
>>661266
Try them all on, everyone's feet are really different so what you are most looking for regarding comfort is that their foot model is closest to your feet. Boots that are comfortable for some are horrid for others.
>>
They didn't have the Scarpa Rangers on my size and I went with the Anatom Q3.

They fit perfectly and as a plus they are made in Romania, not China which will most likely mean the leather and everything in general is of better quality.
>>
>>662210
My brother wears Hi-tech boots, cheap and he likes them.
>>
>>662171
Lowas are worth the price imo, they are very comfy and durable boots by reputation. I've had mine for about 6 months now and can confirm the first part is absolutely true, haven't abused them long enough to prove the second part yet but it looks good.
>>
>>663653
I slightly disagree. Lowa Renegades are a good hiking/backpacking boot IF you are staying solely on trail. My pair were destroyed after less than 3 months use, a lot of which was off trail and scrambling.

Otherwise I agree with you, they are somewhat pricey but very comfortable and light, a good mid-high boot for backpacking/hiking.
>>
>>663676
Oh I don't know about the renegades, I have a pair of their z-8 gtx which I've put through some moderate abuse so far with some climbing and a bunch of crawling around on sharp rocks, it seems to be in good shape so far. Nothing as crazy as 3 months of abuse though.
>>
>>661283
There are two kinds of waterproof boot. One is GTX (gore-tex) and it dries quickly but it does have a shorter lifespan. Also is a bit too warm in hot weather from what I've read. The other kind is LL (leather lined) which is waterproof as well. Both types of boot have a waterproof outer leather layer, which you treat with wax and/or fat. Then their differences come in on the inside, where one is gore-tex the other is leather. Both have similar water proofing except LL boots take longer to dry if they do get wet, and are therefore not as ideal in very wet conditions with endless rain. On the other hand gore-tex retains smell more so if your feet generally stink it may be an issue.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you and I've done some research and this is what I learned. I'm looking at Hanwag Tatra and Haix K2's. My uncle gave me a pair of his boots from his younger days, but I need to test them for a couple of linger hikes to know if I'm comfortable with them or not. Otherwise I'll buy new ones as mentioned.
>>
>>663615
that's what I was thinking of. Thank you.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.