[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Cabin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

I'm gonna build a small cabin near a pond on my property this spring. Probably gonna be a 12'x12 to a 16'x16' depending on budget. I'm gonna try to equip it with a small solar power setup, just enough for a little TV and maybe a mini refrigerator. I might also add a rainwater purification system and a little garden. Also gonna buy a cot to keep out there to sleep on. Any other suggestions?
>>
Where about do you live?
Check if you're going to have to follow building code etc

Budget?
Any carpentry experience?
>>
small solar panel will not be able to support the refrigerator. The power usage on them in pretty insane.
>>
>>660833
Oklahoma, we already checked, no permits. As for the budget, I have no idea.
>>
>>660836
Pretty sure permits are required almost everywhere on any building over 10x 10
You may want to check again
Permits and building code are two very different things
>>
>>660839
I asked my dad and he said we probably wouldn't need a permit.
>>
>>660841
Check with your town
Better to spend some time not making sure everything is going to be okay then to have the town find out you're building without a permit and have you take everything g down when you're almost done
And yes they do find out
>>
>>660851
It's unlikely they will, I live miles and miles from town.
>>
>>660832
>>660839
>>660851
If there is a minimal size for necessitating a permit and/or being applicable to building codes then build just under that size. The smaller it is, the less it will cost to heat and cool anyway.

If you want to use solar and have a garden, look into... I think they're called zeer pots. It's an evaporative cooler so you have a fridge that doesn't use electricity. If you wanted to get extra fancy with it, you could even build it into your catchment system so you don't have to refill it by hand.

And I'd really like to see it as it goes up. You should start a blog or YouTube channel so people can follow it, and you might make some money, too.
>>
>>660857
I worked in construction or years, and in 3-4 years I've probably done 20+ jobs of people who started building a shed, got caught , hired us to take it down , get permits, and build a new one for them
Just giving you fair warning it does happen more often then you may think
>>
>>660863
>not being able to build a shed on my own property
>america
>freedom

I get building codes and the permitting system for things that are going to be used as dwellings, but seriously, muh shed?
>>
>>660885
Building permits is anything over a certain size that is permanent
If it were built on a trailer it wouldn't have to be, if it were just being placed on the ground it may not have to be
Codes are usually for residence only, or just structural things , like pitch on a roof or other things that should just be done
>>
>>660885
>tfw currently building 10'x20' shed with no permit
>tfw skipping jury duty to do it

Fuck the police
>>
>>660887
This sounds right. Since OPs "shed" will be used as a dwelling, it would probably be worth the money to buy a small trailer to mount it on. That should get around any building codes, and gives the option of moving the whole "house" if he gets his own property. As a vehicle, it would need to be registered, but until it gets moved, licensing and tabs wouldn't be necessary.
>>
>>660899
If its a dwelling and is going to be over a certain size you're going to have to follow code for insulation etc
If you build it on a trailer no one gives a fuck, build everything on a platform that attaches to the trailer
So you can remove it if wanted
>>
>>660897
Guys this thread is actually making me kind of worried. The police department in my town is retarded. 3 cop cars once showed up at my house because I had a cookout in my backyard. If they got a call about someone building a shed without a permit, they'd probably all get rock hard boners. But the shed is almost finished and so far no one has said anything. What do?
>>
>Rain water filtration system

you can naturally filter rainwater. promote moss growth on your roof. By the time the rainwater hits your collection, it should be safe to drink. Have you thought about what type of roof you want? if for the purpose of rainwater i would suggest a 4/12 single peak roof. i dunno if its cost effective, but i have been collecting rainwater off a shed in ny backyard with that set up
>>
>>660901
Even if it's (used as) a dwelling, it would legally be classified as a "load" on a trailer. The only issue would be if the land it's parked on has bylaws that specifically prohibit trailers, mobile homes (technically not, but it'd be a hell of a court battle) or campers, or living in non-permanent structures. Generally, though, unless you can talk to your neighbors without leaving your own porches, those things won't be an issue.
>>
I'm living in one that I built right now so I'll add a few lessons.
It's 16x20. The main room is 12x16. There is a hallway with a closet on one side and a bathroom on the other. I used Sheetrock all around and wood laminate for the floor.

>insulate all around, even interior walls. I live in southeast Texas and even in the summer the temp never gets above 80 inside. If you had to go without power you can stand it. Also because it's so insulated I hear the whole thing with a tiny desk heater but would have preferred a small wood burning heater.

>put vents in the doors so the air will flow easier and you can hear and cool the whole thing easier

>use Masonite on the outside, it'll last forever.

>invest in a good QUIET air conditioner. Window units make it unbearably loud.

>go tankless with your hot water heater. The normal ones take up too much room.

All and all we built it for about 15k maybe less. The main room was built 20 years ago and was a workshop for my dad. When he moved into a bigger one I decided to make this a cabin. It's really great.

Also if you are handy enough you can save money by making a lot of stuff yourself. I made all the molding on our table saw and a lot of my furnishing are repurposed or dumpster/garage sale finds.

Good luck OP.
>>
File: earthbag_home.jpg (128KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
earthbag_home.jpg
128KB, 600x396px
Have you thought about an earthbag home? picrelated
>>
>>661716
I considered it a long time ago but I don't have that kind of time. And I specifically want a wood cabin.
>>
OP, we need more.

What are you gonna do in the cabin? Chill, or live?

Can you drive to it?

Rainwater purification- do you need it? ANd TV? for real?

Give us some more so we can give back.
>>
>>662069
Not planning on living in it but I'd like to be capable of living in it if need be. I can drive to it pretty easily. As for rainwater I don't think I'll need it but why not? As for TV, I'd probably not use it a lot, just something to make it feel a bit more like a house.
>>
>>660832
For the fridge, you can get a gas refrigerator. You'd want gas for cooking anyway.
>>
>>660841
It's always a good idea to ask the town about building a new structure... a lot of places require you do something, file something, etc.
Some places require none of that.

As far as building codes, you should also ask the town / city about what building codes are required for different types of structures. This is usually less important than permits to build if you're keeping the property, but again, depends on the area.

Electrical wiring and plumbing are two things that are usually mandated to have 'to code' in a lot of areas. A lot of areas just require you follow the code, but do not mandate any inspections or certifications.
>>
>>661196
pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>660901
>If you build it on a trailer
A guy bought a small piece of land where I live and built a "tiny home" on a semi trailer. I was surprised at how big it is. When you see them on TV they look so small.
>>
>>662618
>On a semi trailer

Yeah, I was thinking more the "pull behind your geo metro" type. I could probably live in an absurdly small house, though. I just want a place to shower and sleep, everything else is just a distraction that keeps me from going /out/.
>>
OP here, I found this on Google images. What do you guys think? It's a full 111 square feet bigger than my bedroom.
>>
>>660834
This, You could always use propane for the fridge but it's a hassle to transport and needs to be changed regularly.
>>
>>662148
>>663079
Zeer pot.
>>
>>662845
If you're going to go big go 16x24 with an 16x8 screened porch
>>
>>663146
Not him, but I found a 6' x 10' utility trailer for $850. Would this be too small to build on? I'd like to go as small as possible.
>>
>>663182
6x 10 you're going to be limited to 6x10
Not terrible if you're making just a place to sleep,

Do the wheels stick through the top?
Il draw up what I personally would do if I had 6x10 to deal with
>>
>>663182
>>663225
Also how tall are ceilings ?
>>
>>660832
Just build it on a trailer with working lights and turn signals. No permits
>>
>>660834
I came here to say this
>>
>>660901
>If its a dwelling and is going to be over a certain size you're going to have to follow code
This
You won't need a permit for a shed but for a dwelling you will
>>
>>663225
>>663229
No, It's a deckover so that gives me the extra floor space. I was thinking I could put in a tiny kitchenette and canister toilet, possibly one of those tiny motorhome style showers. Basically, a studio on wheels. It may not be possible at that size. Don't need a full height ceiling, I'm only 5'10". I've heard building costs can range from nothing to several tens of thousands depending on how materials are sourced.
>>
>>663322
Fitting a toilet in is going to be an absolute bitch if you want cooking space and a bed
Unless you don't mind the toilet being in the open meaning no walls
Beds are big desu 6 ft long by 3 ft wide
Maybe you could go 2.5 ft wide with a mat but that doesn't save much space
>>
>>663326
Yeah, it's complicated. I was thinking a side-fold muphy-type bed or something reminiscent of a futon so I'd still have seating. I saw a video on YouTube about this Asian guy who built sliding walls in his apartment, and depending on which walls were slid where the room was completely different.
>>
>>663340
I think I have a plan that can squeeze in everything, find me the dimensions of the shower you are talking about?
Or rough dimensions work aswell
>>
>>663340
Not the same video, but similar concept.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1MVqwvOqvY
>>
>>663348
32" x 24" is the small standard size for RV tubs. If I got a flat bottom basin, I could put the canister toilet in the basin (a semi standard RV bathroom layout).
>>
>>663357
Il come up with two basic plans, as a heads up the bathroom will be cramped no mater what
And the cooking supplies will be basic
>>
>>663371
I like basic and cramped. I just want something to hang out in on the slab while I wait for up north to not be an icicle. I'd love to see both plans though.
>>
>>663375
They're really shitty just quick draws, I don't have any tools with me and its just a basic layout but I can always go into more detail, are you planning on having a water tank?
>>
>>663380
Yes. I'd really like to build in a catchment system that I can also fill by hand from local sources. I'll probably only bother filtering the water I drink. When camping I wash dishes and clothes and bathe in lake/river water anyway.

Simple drawings are best. It wouldn't be possible to account for minor variances in different building materials at this point anyway.
>>
>>663388
How large of a tank?

I'm no plumber but would gravity fed be acceptable?
>>
>>663396
I don't know off the top of my head how much water pressure would be generated through a drop of 12-18 inches. My guess is not much. I'll probably end up getting a pump that sends it from a floor level tank to a solar heater on the roof, the gravity and the remaining pressure from the pump should provide decent water pressure for the shower. Not sure on the size of the tank... probably the maximum that will fit in the space available without exceeding the weight capacity of the trailer, which would already be fairly heavily burdened by the structure, I'd imagine.
>>
File: IMG_20160110_202008851.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_202008851.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>663401
I would get a small solar setup and have it run an anytime hot water heater where it heats it as you use it

Here's first shitty picture hope you can read my handwriting

I figured 55 gallon drums in the attic space for water storage would work well, empty them mostly for travel etc
7 ft ceilings height
12/12 pitch on the roof
Will start drawing the second ( and possibly third ) soon
>>
>>663408
BTW every square is a half foot , if you haven't already figured
>>
>>661716
That's bretty cool anon
>>
>>663408
Very neat. Solar will definitely be a thing, but I want to keep my usage to a minimum so I don't have a large battery bank to maintain. I have considered in-line waters heaters, though. I don't believe the bed will be able to fit sideways. Once you account for the wall thickness, the width of the trailer will be under 5'6". It can definitely fold up into a bench during the day, though. I figured that if the door was at the back of the trailer, then I could build in a hinged deck that can fold down when parked. And probably the most important thing is that everything be very minimalistic and fold away when not in use. The more open the space is, the bigger it will feel.
>>
>>663416
I figured you could squeeze the bed in , or make your own
May be a bit short but I sleep curled up anyways
Door on the back may be a bit more difficult , unless you don't mind sleeping in a loft that's 3-4ft tall, that would save alot of space
Though claustrophobia
>>
>>663417
I considered a loft, but on the off chance I found myself in a position where I had female company, those tend to be a bit too similar to bunk beds.
>>
File: download_20160110_180256-1.jpg (13KB, 196x332px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160110_180256-1.jpg
13KB, 196x332px
>>663417
Was thinking more like pic related. Not very to scale, and the stupid CAD app won't let me do interior walls. Couch shown would fold out.
>>
I've watched a few of these, LaMar is very interesting. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/9npdnI7dKCg
>>
>>663428
Water tank and battery bank would go outside on the triangular supports, under bed storage and drawers in the tv/computer monitor stand, probably use some of that sink space on the right for a single burner stove, cabinets above sink and have a cutting board pull out, etc. Canister toilet would go in the shower stall on the left. Otherwise, very open, simple floor plan. Am I missing anything terribly important? Would a setup like this be small enough that I could pull it behind my car or would I need a truck?
>>
>>663439
Sink? That works too
And depends on weight
My buddy has a v6 firebird with a tow hitch and it used to tow a 28 ft boat
>>
File: download_20160110_191508-1.jpg (26KB, 299x422px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160110_191508-1.jpg
26KB, 299x422px
>>663439
Reduced to 66" x 114" for outer wall allowance. Not sure if that's really enough. Figured out how to add interior walls without them looking 6" thick, showing toilet in shower, moved windows to more sensible places, added a cupboard and stove, removed deck to better show door, added an Xbox to the TV stand.

Apartment on a 6' x 10' trailer. Opinions or improvements?
>>
>>663450
I've got a 4cyl Tiburon... come to think of it, I don't know if it can accommodate a hitch.
>>
>>663436
not op but thanks anon
>>
>>660857
Bud, they check with sattelites and shit now, you will very likely get busted. Remember people are employed strictly to get your ass.
>>
>>663454
Well, I went to see what the price was on a new trailer, found same 6' x 10' one at lowes for $1100. Also shows that it's only rated for two tons. Am I shit out of luck? How heavy would all this be if I'm building to RV specs instead of home specs?
>>
As for the building permits if it's out of the way and on your property don't get a permit and if anyone asks tell the government to fuck off since it's your land.

Build it, and good luck.
>>
>>660832
>cabin
>tv
Pick one
>>
>>664038
Thanks, that's pretty much what I planned on doing anyway.
>>
You're building something so small on a trailer it's not going to be worth it. At this point it's more cost effective to just buy a small used camper.
>>
>all this small cabin talk

So tempted to buy 100+acres in northern Maine and build an home on it
>>
File: house.jpg (1019KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
house.jpg
1019KB, 2048x1365px
>>660832
That picture is photoshoped. I know because the original is my desktop background
>>
>>664475
That picture is photoshopped. I know because OP's picture is my background.

>Conundrum.
>>
>>664266
But if I wanted my tiny home to be car shaped, I'd just build it inside a cargo van and stealth park.

I may just do that.
>>
>>664475
I know it is. I literally just google imaged "cabin in the woods" and took one of the first images I saw
>>
Found a very small old bunker type thing on town/state property, its been vandalized and filled with trash

How dickish of me would it be to clean it out and put a small locked door on it so I can have a place to chill and it doesn't get filled with trash
>>
>>665913
Do it
>>
File: IMG_20160114_161741106.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160114_161741106.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>665922
Like I would empty out all the leaves and garbage
Then put down some plywood on the floor/walls
Fix the little opening in the top of it, and put a door over the steps on it so I can lock it
>>
>>665923
in the end it's still a dank hole in the ground.
>>
>>665953
Dank meaning dope or dank meaning nasty?
Once it's cleaned I don't think it will be that bad, plus it has some vemtilation
>>
>>665963
only morons use the word "dank" with positive implications
>>
>>665970
This is 4chan , hence why I asked
>>
>>665923
>>665970
Looks dank to me
>>
>>665913
Removing litter and preventing fall injuries? I'd say it would be well justified to appoint yourself the caretaker of this obviously abandoned bunker. How much space is down there?
>>
>>666014
4 ft tall 4 ft wide 6-7 ft long

Not much at all but enough to chill in

>fall injuries
Actually right as I was going to check it out I watched someones dog slip down the stairs i to it

I don't even k ow what it is too small to be a bunker
>>
>>666022
It's a rap(e) dungeon, obviously. You know, for rappin' in.
>>
>>666034
Clearly
All its used for now is garbage to be thrown in and pothead kids to smoke blunts there
>>
>>660832
I built a 12x12 cabin last year in my woods. It's 8x12 interior with a 4x12 porch along the front. Have a wood stove and a bunk bed in it, works great but I recommend a 16x16 if possible.
>>
>>666501
Post pictures
>>
>>666501
I'll probably go 20x20 or bigger, I want it to be at least a little bigger than my own room.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>666501
>>
>>667959
Internal pics ?
>>
>>660897
WHAT THE FUCK YOU HAVE TO GO TO JURY DUTY IF YOU DON'T GO YOU CAN'T GET ANYBODY OFF
>>
>>668058
Like anyone here has successfully gotten somebody off.

Also, stop yelling. I'm come to /out/ for the quiet.
>>
File: 51xe4wZI0gL._SL1000_.jpg (48KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51xe4wZI0gL._SL1000_.jpg
48KB, 1000x1000px
>>660834
>>663287

Not true at all, if you get the right fridge. Most of the guys using this one power it with solar and it works just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-65G-65-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8DM5I/
>>
>>660839
Permits are typically only required for buildings that have a foundation. Sheds and small cabins don't need a foundation, and therefore are free from this requirement.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.