[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /out/, I want to get into bush-craft and survival. I live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: trees.jpg (117KB, 588x391px) Image search: [Google]
trees.jpg
117KB, 588x391px
so /out/, I want to get into bush-craft and survival. I live in a suburban area but since I live in the south, there are woods everywhere. what would you recommend I do to get started?
>>
File: not on my watch.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
not on my watch.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
>>657750
self bump
>>
>>657750
Easy there, Sport. This can be a slow board.

Also, I assume you mean you live in the south of the US. Where it's about midnight? You're posting to a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies right now.
If you mean the South Island or South Australia, specify that and we might be able to help.
>>
>>657754
Yea southern US, southern Appalachia to be specific. Rough terrain and temperate weather.
>>
>>657754

Take your "Sport" and shove it up your ass, fuck face.
>>
>>657768
It's spelled 'arse', Seppo.
>>
>>657762
The blokes that can probably help you will start getting up in about 6-8 hours, but in the mean time I'm sure there will be a few people that don't mind helping out. Might just need a bit more info first.

What's the climate like there at this time of year? Rainfall, temperature etc.
What sort of things about being /out/ are you interested in? Fishing, hunting, camping, hiking?
About what age and fitness level are you?
What sort of equipment do you have so far?
>>
>>657776
The weather right now is cold and bipolar as shit but in the spring and summer its constantly warm and occasionally rains. Im in high school and am relatively fit but not standout athletic. I want to mainly do camping and some hunting. I have plenty of the needed equipment and i am fairly comfortable and competent in the woods since my dad has taken me hunting sine i was seven years old.
>>
>>657781
By 'in high school' I presume you mean 'just turned 18'. So, young, reasonably fit and keen.
If you've been hunting with your father you probably already know some good places to go. Did you camp with your dad, is he still keen to go out there with you? That seems to me the best of both worlds.
If that's not an option, find somewhere you want and can go to and over night there. That will let you know what you can/can't do, what equipment you have/don't have/don't know how to use effectively, without getting killed on a 3 week hike.
Once you're comfortable spending a night /out/, extend, try taking less gear and using what you have better. A bit like getting better on /fit/ works.Start small, repeat and slowly stretch yourself.

Hope that helps a bit. Just got to go cook dinner but I'll be back in about an hour if there's anything else I can help with.
>>
Hey dude, I'm a California but my mother comes from a homestead in the Bayous.

Anyways I think the most important thing to start out with is plant identification, you can do it at home.

When it gets warmer go gather spring beauty it's a claytonia which grows in Appalachia here as well. It's an easily identifiable foragable plant that was traditionally eaten with bacon grease, both the tubers and leaves.
>>
I would recommend this book. And if you have issue with this book in particular, at least dive into most of the topics discussed in it. This book teaches universal concepts but most of the specific examples are from the Eastern Woodlands so it would be a good fit for you.
>>
Make sure to get a book on local flora (and fauna if you're savy)

I live in Washington state, and the two most useful books I've come across are "plants of the Pacific Northwest coast" and "Pacific Northwest foraging"

Plant/tree identification means the world in bushcraft. Some woods are too hard to make tinder, some too soft for building. Get to know what's medicinal. Steer clear of anything you're uncertain of, until you aren't.

Respect what you do, and even more so where you do it. Don't make a "regular" spot. It will become ruined before you know it.

And also. Regardless of what anyone else says, make your own wilderness experience how you like it. Maybe you like hammocks, maybe tents. Maybe hunting rabbit, or fishing. Don't get caught up in expensive gear. It won't make you better. Doing it makes you better, regardless of tools.

Come here often for inspiration. And keep an open mind. There's a trove of knowledge here, and just as much armchair warriors who don't ever go /out/

Cheers, and good luck!
>>
First learn how to start a fire, then everything else.
Start with a lighter and matches then progres to a flint and steel and the to primitive metods.
Next thing is building a shelter, try diferent types and se which ine works best for you.
Then foraging, fishing, traping, hunting...
As for gear you need a knife(nothing special of expensive, as long as its heavy), some cordage and something to start a fire with.
>>
>>657750
Buy or borrow Bushcraft 101 and read it. Practice techniques while in nearby woods, day trips. When you eventually do an overnight, tell people that you're going /out/. At some point, go backpacking when you feel a bit more seasoned.
>>
>>657768
Daily reminder to read the sticky, we are a polite board and encourage a respectful community.
>>
Do some reading. Either online or book reading. Bushcraftusa is a good searchable resource.

But please, try and follow minimal impact on the land, don't be tempted to cut green wood for shelters.

Basic gear you'll want:

Fixed knife
Stone + strop
Cordage
Pot
Tarp
Lighter
(potentially) a saw
(potentially) an axe

Personally I recommend Lars Kochanski's book, btw
>>
>>657925

Mors, not Lars!
>>
>>657768
I bet that ain't OP
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.