[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tree removal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3364.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3364.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I hike an out of the way forest service trail and today when I was hiking on it I came across this. It's 2 trees between 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide each. I only carry a Cold Steel Kukri (good for stuff up to 1 foot wide), Coghlans cheap small pruning saw, and a survival saw that is a chainsaw chain between 2 nylon straps.

No way I'm going to get through these with my normal stuff. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe just build a little bridge and wait until next year when the forest Service will come take care of it?
>>
Tannerite
>>
Cordite.
>>
Thermite.
>>
you might want to get a crosscut saw. barring that you could build a temp path around it.
>>
>>657653
>any ideas

Contact your local hiking club or volunteer trail maintenance organization and see if they would be interested in doing some work on it with you.
>>
>>657653
build a fire under neith both
>>
>>657653
Is this a bait thread?

>Maybe just build a little bridge and wait until next year when the forest Service will come take care of it?
Jesus fuck you stupid fucking retarded cunt. JUST WALK AROUND THE TREE.

> only carry a Cold Steel Kukri (good for stuff up to 1 foot wide), Coghlans cheap small pruning saw, and a survival saw that is a chainsaw chain between 2 nylon straps.

MAYBE STOP CARRYING FUCKING MEME GEAR AND GO GET A CHAINSAW

YES I AM FUCKING MAD THAT OP IS SUCH A DUMB ANNOYING CUNT

ADPFJIADKSGOSDFP[GOS[SG[FS[DASG

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>657684
>>657692
>>657693
This
>>657704
/thread
>>
>>657698
>barring that you could build a temp path around it.
A few people went over it. If I had taken a wide shot picture you would have seen why, it was just a nightmare of broken branches and other smaller trees they fell on.
>>657701
>Contact your local hiking club or volunteer trail maintenance organization
Normally this would be a great idea but it's kinda remote and rarely used in the winter I doubt anyone would show up
>>657702
I'm technically in a rain forest. Fires are next to impossible to start.
>>
>>657653
I don't understand, why aren't you just using a chainsaw?

Also you can't cut a foot into a tree with your fucking machete you stupid piece of shit
>>
>>657720
Not sure I understand your problem OP. Is the perspective a bit off in your pic and the trunk is about 10' thick or something? Not sure why climbing over it is a problem.
I live in a rainforest (actual one) and never have trouble getting a fire going. Might need to practice climbing and fire skills before you go /out/ again.
>>
File: IMG_3349.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3349.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>657730
This is a tree I chopped up recently. You limb the branches that cross the path then you cut the trunk. You can see how just going around isn't an option, this one is worse than this pic.

And I actually do live in a rain forest and just so happens am watching Dual Survival and Cody, an old episode, can't get a fire going in the rain forest they are in. Absolutely nothing is dry.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-24-17-05-24.png (5MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-24-17-05-24.png
5MB, 1440x2560px
You cant just go over it? I dont understand is OP in a wheelchair?
>>
>>657735
>and Cody
In the episode I just watched they were in a pacific northwest type rain forest, and couldn't get a fire going. Another old episode just started and now Cody can't get a fire started in a tropical rain forest.
>>
>>657653
>I hike
what the fuck is OP talking about? You can crawl under, climb over, walk the fuck around?!?!?!?!?

OP is a faggot

Select all images with trees, lulz
>>
>>657653
wait, I got it. DIG A TUNNEL!
>>
>>657738
>You cant just go over it? I dont understand is OP in a wheelchair?
I can go over it easily, I did, but others might not be able to. Sorry if I'm not a hipster.
>>
>>657742
Who is this clown and why does he have a tv show?
>>
>>657753
>Who is this clown
wow..
>>
>>657744
>wait, I got it. DIG A TUNNEL!
Then light a fire in it where its dry.
>>
>>657653

>survival saw

Leave this one for the adults.
>>
>>657755
Thanks for the informative reply.
>>
>>657759
Cody Lundin
>>
>>657745

People who can supposedly hike to a location too remote for a trail crew to attend to this?
>>
File: IMG_3348.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3348.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>657763
We have lots of trails. This is one of the ones not used a lot in the winter, there is actually quite a few. The ones they mostly take care of in the winter are the ones people cross country ski on. At the beginning of a lot of trails the forest service post signs asking people to move branches and rocks off trails. They also ask people to unclog anything that will cause water to pool up on the trail.

This is a pic of a sign I took, the light green sign is the one I'm talking about but didn't have a clear pic of it, this is an old pic. People who hike FS trails know what it is.
>>
>>657761
That's a bit more helpful, cheers.

Looked him up on google. He's from Arizona and has trouble in a rainforest. Go figure, eh?
>>
>>657771
Ok you seem genuine, do you own an axe or have a budget for one? Thats your only real viable option if you do want to make a project out of this.
>>
File: tree.jpg (10KB, 484x240px) Image search: [Google]
tree.jpg
10KB, 484x240px
>>657777
>do you own an axe or have a budget for one?
I don't have one and could buy one but it's around 3 or 4 miles in the woods and I'd have a concern with sweating in the winter. There are a few trail workers on here and was mostly wondering about tips. If I cut the downed trees it leaves two 4 to 5 foot long logs. Then I'd have to move them some how. The forest service uses ATV's and cuts them with chainsaws then cuts the logs into smaller rounds.

Pic related sort of. The grey is the trail.
>>
>>657786
How thick are the logs? I did a 28" diameter log in about an hour and was slower because I couldnt stand on it and it was at shoulder height.

Your going to be sweating using the axe let alone carrying it.

Get yourself a felling axe, 3.5 to 5lbs, council tool will be your best bet, ask here if your unsure of what pattern to get.

Get yourself a lanksy puck and watch some youtube on sharpening it.

Get out there and buck those logs, you might not get through even one in a day when you first start out but you will only get stronger and get more stamina each time you go.

Dont worry about moving the logs at this stage, one thing at a time.
>>
>>657800
The trees are about 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide. I no nothing about axes but I do know what a lanskey puck is. the temps for next week where I am are supposed to be in the lower 20's. In the pic posted above ITT I cut up a tree with a Kukri and the log that became of it I was able to pick up and move, you can also see that in the pic kinda.
>>657735
>>
>>657804

Well to put it simply and bluntly you are in over your head trying to fix this and I wouldnt worry about it. Thats crosscut saw material.
>>
>>657653
Why do you feel obligated to remove those trees? You are on foot right?
>>
>>657786
>The forest service
Give the location to them and let them deal with it.
>>
>>657653
>Cold Steel Kukri (good for stuff up to 1 foot wide)
>good
>1 foot wide

kek.

Get a felling axe or a chainsaw. Or, you know, walk around/over it, White knight of the /out/side
>>
>>657720
On the contrary, trail clubs love finding and rehabing disused routes. It's one of the main reasons trail clubs exist.
>>
File: 20150813_055822.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150813_055822.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Get a man's saw
>>
The only way you're getting through that without sweating too much for the winter is a chainsaw. Otherwise, wait until the weather is warmer.
>>
>>657977
Hello Roy. What is your PO number? I want to mail you something.
>>
>>657758
Holy fuck I want that axe. What is that, a 5lb head? 22" handle?
>>
Can't you just bring a jug of gas and lit that fella up?
>>
>>657721
this chainsaw should do the trick
>>
>>660810
>>660830
It's on a Forest Service trail. They want their people to do it because they have to take chainsaw safety classes, wear hard hats, safety eye/face shields, ear protector "muffs". thick aprons. leather gloves, steel toe shoes, and those metal shin/knee guards. They think you or I who do it will get hurt and will prosecute to deter it.
>>
>>660633
Its a tuatahi and you can put whatever handle you want on an axe.
>>
Im legitimately confused, why can't OP just go around or over? I know this was asked earlier in the thread, but I didnt understand the answer given
>>
>>661290
landmines
>>
>>657977
This man knows what's up. One of the best saws ever made with a high end bar.

>>660903
I work for the USFS and do a lot of trail clearing. We always prefer to do the work ourselves since we have the training (and tools) to clear trees off. I had some mountain bikers clearing off trails last year that I wasn't able to get to. Their heart was in the right place but they didn't leave proper clearance on each side of the trail. They also didn't finish cutting out some of the trees and left things a dangerous situation. Definitely do NOT burn the tree, that's going to make a huge mess.

Another thing to think about is if the trail is in wilderness or not. Please don't haul a chainsaw into the wilderness!
>>
>>661462
>Their heart was in the right place but they didn't leave proper clearance on each side of the trail.
How much is "proper clearance" so I know for next time? Not OP, just a hiker who sometimes clears trails of fallen trees.
>>
>>661462
>Please don't haul a chainsaw into the wilderness
Genuinely curious, why? What difference does it make? What do you define as "wilderness" for this case?
>>
>>657653
Why not ask the rangers to do it? I get that you want to help, but if you are asking online for advice on this kind of thing then you probably aren't experienced/equipped for it.
>>
>>657653
Is this you?
>>
>>657871
fffffffucking this.

>>661462
how to take S-212 for free to become sawyer ;_;
>>
Tell them where it is if you don't want to deal with it yourself. If you do, just cut out the portion blocking the trail and move the wood to either side. That's what the forest service typically does.
>>
>>661479
It's against the rules to bring power tools into wilderness areas. That's the main thing.
>>
>>661479
If it's defined as a wilderness area you are forbidden to use anything gas or electric powered to do work. I don't even think you're supposed to use bicycles.

It's pretty much all about keeping those areas as wild as possible.

If there's a log crossing the trail for instance, you have to saw it by hand with a ribbon saw and drag it, either by human power, or with a horse.
>>
>>661513
Makes sense! Not from the US, so didn't know.
I'm guessing "wilderness" excludes private land, so it would only be state land and parks?
>>
>>661519
Yeah, it's just a classification of public land. Usually "So-and-so Wilderness Area"

They're usually unspoiled and there's generally nobody around.
>>
>>661478
Fully off the tread of the trail. Make sure you're not leaving sharp points that will jab into peoples knees as they go by.

>>661499
Go work for the USFS for a season. It's a pretty commonly available course, especially for wildland firefighters.
>>
File: IMG_3398.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3398.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>661290
>Im legitimately confused, why can't OP just go around or over?
The pic I took was after I climbed over it. Easy for me, not so for others.
>>661487
>Why not ask the rangers to do it?
They won't do anything until spring when the "summer workers" show up>>661682
>Fully off the tread of the trail.
Where I live they also try to get rid of evidence of the chainsaw cut. They cut up the tree and hide the rounds, they are like firewood rounds. Sometimes they limb the underside so the downed tree lays flat then top things with moss they pull off the tree. I believe it just boils down to the look.

Pic is what it's like on the sides of the trail. Limbs and devils clubs.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.