[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck can't I have a campfire in public forests in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Why the fuck can't I have a campfire in public forests in the U.S.

Fucking bullshit, how does anyone camp without a fire?
>>
>>657133
Stupid people ruin everything.
>>
>>657147
im fucking pissed
>>
>>657133
Canister stoves, lol. Or alcohol, but there's a good share of places you can't do that, either.

It's getting to the point where the only option will be barely warming food with an iron handwarmer and packing twenty pounds of those back out.
>>
>>657147
How retarded do you have to be to fuck up something so simple as maintaining a camp fire?

Why do people even go camping without even knowing shit about camping and proper camp safety?
>>
>>657147
/thread
>>
>>657156
also think back to any time before this fucking law vs. how many forests were burnt down by campfires. if it was really that big of a risk the whole fucking planet would be burnt down
>>
Canister stove or a catfood alc stove for cooking. Doesn't make up for the warmth and charm of a fire though ;_;
>>
>>657156
>How retarded do you have to be to fuck up something so simple as maintaining a camp fire?

You are the problem.
Fuckers like you that underestimate the power of fire in a drought are the ones starting forest fires and fucking it up for the more competent among us
>>
>>657184
/thread
>>
>>657133
what? you definitely can legally in a shit ton of places.

are you in commiefornia i guess?
>>
>>657186
/thread
>>
What are you talking about OP? Every US National Forest I've visited allowed campfires, including dispersed camping.
>>
>>657191
What is an open flame ban because drought.
>>
>>657188
Jersey
>>
>>657133
You are truly ignorant. Do some research.

/thread
>>
>>657209
First off you can't /thread yourself faggot.

Second off it is by law illegal to make fired outside of designated spots in New Jersey

In conclusion fuck off faggot
>>
>>657211
>First off you can't /thread yourself faggot.

pretty sure he just did
>>
>>657212
rekt
>>
>>657204
>>657211

yeah its illegal in NJ because we have tons of state land that is not wilderness and get tons of campers seasonally, a big portion of which don't understand conservation in the slightest. Actually go innawoods in NJ and you can do what you please. There aren't too many spots around the state but they do exist.
>>
>>657221
Where at in north jersey?
>>
>>657232
that's a tough one mate. there aren't any geological features in North NJ to give us hints to where good public land might lie. If only someone built a trail or something that passed through all the major parks in Nothern NJ to help us out! Oh well, at least we can still go to Action Park.
>>
>>657238
Nigga the Appalachian is gay I hate trails
>>
>>657242
your part of the of the reason why the state has stupid ass rules. wherever you are from do us all a favor and stay there.
>>
>>657190
/thread
>>
>>657157
>>657186
>>657190
>>657262
/thread

>>657209
Not /thread
>>
How do you keep warm when camping in the cold without a fire?
>>
>>657463
>I've never heard of a sleeping bag
>or a coat
>or long underwear
>>
>>657468
>long underwear
around here we say long john silvers or LJSs
>>
>>657468
Every single outdoors show repeats how important a fire is though.
>>
>>657472
yeah fire is fundamental for long term survival, living, and producing in wilderness areas but that doesn't mean you NEED it when you are a spectator in the woods for a weekend.
>>
>>657204
>>657211

Are you camping in the pine barrens? That's one of the places I actually support fire regulations. Too easy to go up in flames with all the needles around, and there is such a shortage of fuel wood (hence the name "barrens") that you basically need to bring wood in to have any sustained campfire of decent size, and with that many people bringing in foreign wood, invasives are sure to spread.

Also fuck New Jersey and everyone in it.
>>
>>657133
God tier California with smart democratic governor = campfires

Shit tier dumps like jersey with fatass bloviating slob republican governor = no campfire

The choice is simple
>>
>>657133
>Why the fuck can't I have a campfire in public forests in the U.S.
If that picture is your idea of a safe campfire, that's why.

In general, the answer to the question "why can't I do x in the woods" is usually "because entitled assholes like you ruin it for everyone"
>>
>>657242
You are too fucking stupid to use fire. Please don't
>>
>>657495
I'm planning to camp for about 2 weeks, so i guess I'll need a fire.
>>
>>657569
stop being such a fucking retarded asshole.

posters on this board can really fucking suck major ass sometimes.
>>
>>657570
I really don't see how your post was called for or necessary.
>>
This summer all fires were illegal in Washington. Then again, half the state was on fire.
>>
>>657572
cause austimo over there had issue with me saying a weekend. he 100% knew what I meant but wanted to nitpick because he is a d bag.

>oh what if I was outside for 49 hours ?
>guess i would have to have a fire then
>boom roasted
>hueueueue
>i am so clever
>>
>>657579
You're replying to that "Autismo", and no, that's not what i meant. I replied that i meant two weeks, not a weekend, you said weekend so i figured you meant, you know, weekend. You should try to jump to conclusions and assumptions less.
>>
>>657506
California, shut up, you cant even do water right.
>>
>>657581
What the fuck would anyone with decent equipment truly need a fire for within two weeks?
>>
op here, you guys are gay as fuck
>>
The reason there are bans on campfires is that they kill the vegetation underneath, and the fire scar from that lasts for about 2-3 years.

People were sick of going through commonly used nature areas and seeing a bunch of fire scars on the ground, so campgrounds started mandating the use of camp stoves.

To be honest, I'd like to camp somewhere remote enough that I can start a campfire and nobody will care.
>>
Kek holy fuck you Americans are draconian anti-freedom fucks.

As a Canadian I can go to the various crownland near my house and go camping any season, any time.
>>
Commiefornia friends,

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfires/

There's a permit on the oage that lasts a year.

Also, remember to bring your own wood. If you're a cheap poorfag like me, just surf craigslist and find a free pallet. That's enough wood for a while.
>>
Mainer here.

I can build a fire wherever the fuck I want.
>>
>>657497
PA checking in, fuck New Jersey
>>
>>657573
>Govt: Fires r ba'ad m'kay? You cannot has fires.
>Mother nature: Oh yeah? Fuck you, because that's why.

Silly little pathetic humans, always trying to control things.
>>
camp on Jersey Shore, fires are allowed on beach

OR

Camp on Federal lands

OR go innawoods where no one cares and make fire anyway. Just don't be a fucking retard about it.
>>
>>657710
God tier California with smart democratic governor = campfires

Shit tier dumps like jersey with fatass bloviating slob republican governor = no campfire

The choice is simple yes
>>
>>657581
holy fucking shit your even dumber then I thought. The amount of spoonfeeding that people like you demand on here is outstanding.
>>
>>657133
>how does anyone camp without a fire

real campers would rather watch stars
>>
>>657648
I don't know thats why i asked if i needed a fire.
>>
File: 1405472904204.jpg (85KB, 633x738px) Image search: [Google]
1405472904204.jpg
85KB, 633x738px
>>657828
>democrats
>god-tier
>>
>>657147
Just put it in your constitution. Works with the other dumb shit.
>>
File: from_the_sticky1.jpg (17KB, 565x100px) Image search: [Google]
from_the_sticky1.jpg
17KB, 565x100px
>>657133
>fires permitted
>people gather every last twig to burn
>pull down snags, cut down dead trees
>burn burn burn
>no dead wood left
>organisms that live on dead wood die
>entire ecosystem gets fucked up

If there is no dead wood, then it isn't a forest
>>
>>657515
/thread
>>
File: ha.jpg (44KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
44KB, 446x400px
>>657472
>getting you /out/door knowledge from TV
>>
>>658206
literally the majority of posters here. no one here actually goes /out/
>>
>>657651
/thread

I DID IT!
>>
>>657201
Everybody ignores those.
>>
>>657572
/thread
>>
>>657710
>Burning pressure treated wood

Shiggy
>>
>>657497
>>657719
Also PA. Fuck Jersey. We really aught to up the tolls to come over here.
>>
/thread
>>
The fuck are you talking about? Are you talking about national forests? Because that's up to individual forests and specific areas, usually during specific times of year. In my section of the local nation forest I can make a fire any time, except a couple years during the height of summer when there was an extreme fire danger.

The US is almost unique for being a first-world country with large forests where you're free to camp and make fires. Only other ones I can think of are Canada and a few northern European countries.
>>
>>657133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdX8Z5R_w8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPSEfcz718
>>
>>657506
>california

>smart
>democrat
Pick one.
>>
>>657133
What stops you from just doing it anyway?
>>
>>660653
dakota firehole in a forest
>mfw this is how you burn down forests
in dry season the roots can keep an ember for a month causing wildfires and shit.
>>
>>659059
A few of us do, check the picture threads. We just don't fuck stuff up while we're /out/. Hell, even my kids know to leave stuff alone.
>>
>>657497
PA as well. fuck NJ. worst drivers i have ever seen
>>
>>659059
i don't go out nearly as much as i would like to cause between work and gf i don't have much time (and i was fucking sick all along the fucking holidays) anymore but i used to camp shittons in all seasons out. it's not brain surgery not something you need to learn you figure everything out pretty fast.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Went for a three day hike in north Carolina with two friends and 0 experience. Went to the linville gourge. We were from Louisiana so not much mountain hiking. Signs said no fires. Fuck that, we had a bunch.

Didn't bring enough water though. Ran out the first afternoon. Thank god we found that spring. Didn't even need to purify.

Each of us had a long gun though so we probably frightened the few people we passed. Wish we hadn't seen as many people though, we would've shot some rabits. Instead we were stuck with Katrina era MRE's.
>>
>>663275
sounds like you had a good time, anon, but you've kinda hit the nail on the head about WHY fires are prohibited so often.

it's a stewardship issue.

you kept your head about you and managed your fires well. but you saw so many people- when they see evidence of a fire, they feel they can have fires too. do you think all of them can be firesafe? is it sustainable for all of them to build fires as well? what happens when dills start denuding the woods for their bonfire wood?

if you care about the land sometimes it means NOT doing fire even if you know you can handle it. think of it as hardmode and enjoy the challenge.
if you don't care about the land, stay /in/
>>
>>663295

GOD FUCK OFF, MSR SHILL. FIRE IS MAN'S FUCKING RIGHT. MAN IS LESS MAN WHEN HE CEASES TO GAZE INTO THE FIRE AND CONTEMPLATE HIS LIFE. YOU MIGHT AS WELL BAN GAZING INTO THE STARS. THE SKY WILL NOT FALL. THE LAND WILL NOT BE BLIGHTED.
>>
>>663563
The land is already pretty blighted
Maybe you don't know the difference because you have never been somewhere that hasn't been completely stomped on by people

You romantic cosplay fantasies end where good stewardship begins
>>
>>663563
when did i reference msr??
summer sausage, good bread, trailmix and fresh fruit can be comfy as fuark. plus lower pack weight and nothing gets sooty

if i want a fire i'll be an adult about it and go where it's not prohibited.
>>
>>657133
Jersey is the only state I know of that has a camp fire ban in place.
>>
>>660820
>in dry season the roots can keep an ember for a month causing wildfires and shit.
(citation needed)
>>
Some PA fags In here? What's a good place to camp in the Keystone state?
>>
>>663563
>>663295
i've watched exactly this happen to one of my local state parks re: graffiti. it fucken sucks. the it's just me- it's my right" mindset is poison
>>
>>663596
http://nwpr.org/post/fire-may-be-out-above-ground-not-below

Literally the third result in Google.
>>
>>663575

I grew up in Oregon for the first 23 years of my life, hiking and camping every chance I could in the latter half. I've used the land. The land is not blighted. The land did not become blighted in the tens of thousands of years when EVERYONE DEPENDED ON FIRE. There are more trees in North America now than when Europeans first came to the North American continent, and it's far better that we clear out dead wood and debris that will lead to a forest fire than to bring in our own wood that has diseases and invasive species.

>>663594

Look, I agree with you as far as backpacking, but truly, get fucked. Not everyone backpacks, and I'm not going to fuck with their fun just because it suits mine. Public lands are for mixed use. Until someone can demonstrate why controlled campfires are such a problem without blowing shit out of proportion or outright bullshitting, can it.

>>663601

That sucks about that graffiti, bro. Care to share your insights on fire?
>>
>>657133
Depends on where you are, what the fire conditions are, etc

You camp without a fire by way of a stove.
>>
>>663729
>grew up in oregon
yup, that's very much NOT blighted land. you're very lucky.
gonna want a citation on that tree counting, but playing along: much of american forestland is now 2nd growth. lots of smaller trees that're more vulnerable to fire. it's still recovering from massive clearcutting done 100yrs ago
>>
>>663763

I now live in Texas where no one gives a fuck, it's fucktons more dry and the forests are much younger, and the land is still not blighted.

I think the Forest Service needs to post infographics on safe fire construction and pictures of dead firefighters at every trailhead.
>>
>>657497
i go to college in the pine barrens, a couple of my friends and I (a bunch of us are eagle scouts) normally go to the woods, which is technically on campus, and make fires of pretty decent size, i bought a 5 gallon bucket which we use as a fire bucket seeing we are on a lake as well. We found a secluded spot and made a really nice fire pit dug into the ground and put rocks around it and such. Never had a problem with controlling the fire, even after drinking quite a bit.
>>
>>663792
also were not fucking stupid, we make sure everything is safe, only the experienced people control the fires no throwing shit in or getting it above 3-6 feet, raked the pine needles away everytime etc etc
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.