[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Places to go /out/ In New york. stories, suggestions, good places

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: regionmap.png (7KB, 432x328px) Image search: [Google]
regionmap.png
7KB, 432x328px
>>
I'm right near Binghamton too, there isn't a whole lot of places close by, but get up to the Adirondacks and you've got some of the best spots in the country.

Chenango Valley State park is alright to check out, it's close by, but pretty developed in most of it, but it's good to just get out and day hike it.

Oakley Corners forest is outside of Owego. It's nothing special, but no one is there when I go. You can kind of explore it in peace. Pretty small though.

For hunting, head south into Pennsylvania off the Great Bend Exit (first in PA off I-81) pretty good sized state game lands with some decent hunting.there's another good game lands south of Apalachin, take Pennsylvania Ave (858) south until you run into it.

There's a PA state park in Susquehanna County just south of Binghamton. It's Salt Springs State Park. Has some hiking trails, gets crowded around the falls, but the side trails are fine to explore on a day hike. Take 29 south from Conklin maybe 8 miles into PA, turn right on to Silver Creek rd.

Much else and you have to travel. I have trouble finding decent places to go /out/ around here.
>>
>>656617
Forgot to add Ketchumville state forest, close to Oakley Corners. It's undeveloped, no marked trails. There and Oakley Corners you can dispersed camp.
>>
>>656617
Ive ran at CV state park a few times for cross country races but i never knew there was hiking to do. i always thought it was just "Camping" sites and family picnics.
>>
>>656609
Hawkins pond in Windsor is cool.
>>
>>656622
I live there and have no idea what place that is lol
>>
>>656621
There's maybe 10-15 miles total of trails.
>>
>>656638
It's called Hawkins pond nature preserve. It's about a mile past the high school on the left. There used to be a small sign maybe not anymore I haven't been there in a few years.
>>
>>656638
http://www.gobroomecounty.com/parks/hawkins
>>
Reading about Ketchumville Forest... I want to go check it out now... I posted it as a suggestion, without going there yet. No marked trails, but some old logging roads, and old roadways that used to wander through it are left, as well as some remains of old homesteads from maybe 100 years ago. Would be pretty cool to wander around.
>>
>>656609
Jew york urbex
>>
>>656609

Albany area here. Have lived in Ithaca, Roch, and Cuse and fingerlakes. Gorges near Ithaca are fun to cliff jump/swim. Many small state forests in the Bing area.

Fingerlakes are generally better further south where it is more remote and mountainous. North has swamps and bigger towns. The smaller lakes tend to also be better than the big ones- Canandaigua, Seneca, Cayuga. Definitely look into two in particular- Hemlock and Canadice. Pristine untouched state owned wilderness around the entire shore of each and boat motors >5hp banned. They are like a time machine to the 18th century, perfect kayak/canoe lakes. You will need to print a fishing permit online, Google the lake info. Lots of remote streams/creeks in southern fingerlakes that have trout. Catherine Creek and Cold Brook are my faves in April.

Adirondacks are worth the 3-4 hr drive from Binghamton. Really a lifetime of fishing/camping/climbing opportunities there. Canoe camping imo is the best way to experience the adks. Buy the national geographic trails illustrated maps for trail routes and planning.
>>
>>657101
Do we even have ubrex areas here?
>>
https://sites.google.com/site/tchcny/home/hiker-resources/recreational-trails-of-broome-and-tioga-2/hiking-trails-in-the-southern-tier

Large list of hiking areas in Broome County area. Pretty awesome resource.
>>
>>657148
Literally tge most urbex potential city in thr world, m8
>>
Are there more sc/out/s in Binghamton than I expected? Or is this just my imagination.

I live just south of Bingo, just into PA. Should do a meet up, do an overnight in one of the county forests.
>>
Finger lakes trail son
>>
File: 159.jpg (1MB, 1929x1929px) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
1MB, 1929x1929px
buffalo anon here we have some good shit to check out.
there is a small park called akron state park it has a nice waterfall and lagoon like area. while i wouldn't drive hours to see it it is beautiful and would stop if passing by.

In chesnut ridge park there is a trail called the eternal flame trail which leads you down a cliff to a small stream you can fallow the stream to a small waterfall with a burning flame inside behind the water. again i wouldn't make the trip specifially for it but if your going threw stop.

Alleghenies mountains are beautiful i would defiantly recommend camping there in the summer there are many trails and a couple beaches and small lakes within the park.

Stony brook is a decent park i think thats around the finger lakes.

Sampson state park on Seneca lake is on a old military base while the park isnt that great i sat outside on the little pier almost all night watching the lake and stars it was pretty nice.

do NOT go to the thousand islands without a boat its boring as fuck.

If anyone can suggest things to do in the adk and finger lake region i would be much appreicated

pic is akron falls
>>
I also here buttermilk falls is awesome but have never been there myself.
and letchworth is definitely worth visiting some call it the grand canyon of the east.
>>
there are a few small parks up by Niagara falls like whirlpool and devils hole state park that you can walk the gourge those are also fun and have nice scenery.
>>
File: Watkins Glen State Park.jpg (1MB, 2728x1540px) Image search: [Google]
Watkins Glen State Park.jpg
1MB, 2728x1540px
>>656609

Watkins Glen State Park is about 70 miles from Binghamton.

http://www.cnyhiking.com/NYSP-WatkinsGlen.htm
>>
>>657271

We go to Watkins Glen every year with our RV. We bring our kayaks, there's some nice kayaking spots just south of the town in the Catherine Creek Wildlife area. No one is ever there either.

As for the park otself, it's really beautiful, but extremely crowded. It's a nice little hike, but since you're basically in town at the park, it's never really feels /out/.
>>
File: 20150918_171707.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150918_171707.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>657249
>If anyone can suggest things to do in the adk and finger lake region i would be much appreicated

ADKs- definitely try canoe camping. Certain lakes in the adks (i'll let you search them out) are pretty big and lined by a lot of state-owned shore that has minimal road access or boat launch spots. Paddling 5-10 miles up these lakes or into a chain of them to the more remote areas can really take you away from civilization. Not many people willing to paddle/boat that far into the backcountry so you can find yourself with hundreds of acres of wilderness lake to yourself. Canoe makes carrying gear easier too.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.