[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wanna buy a gun that's a good all around bush and hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: remington 700.jpg (281KB, 1626x916px) Image search: [Google]
remington 700.jpg
281KB, 1626x916px
Wanna buy a gun that's a good all around bush and hunting gun on a budget. I've been looking at the Remington 700 ADL in 30-06, though i've heard the action is kind of sloppy. Any suggestions? Also post your bush guns!
Pic related
>>
File: IMG_20151129_135045635.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_135045635.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
>>656210
N U G G E T
U
G
G
E
T
>>
File: SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg (440KB, 2050x900px) Image search: [Google]
SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg
440KB, 2050x900px
>>656215

no one has ever said grab nugget go innawoods

You know the right choice op. Or a mares leg, can't shill for those enough.
>>
>>656210
What do you plan on hunting OP? 30-06 is pretty big for most game, unless you're around moose and brown bear, then it's useful.

It does kind of limit your options for smaller game, but the 30-06 is a tried and tested caliber that is very popular, easy to find ammo, and relatively affordable to shoot.

Personally I'm a fan of Savage rifles. They just shoot great. For a bush gun, you want it to be durable, so I'd get a stainless barrel model. Personally I like .308 since ammo is affordable, and you can get near match grade loads from factory ammo (I distance target shoot some).

The only Remington 700 I've ever shot is a 700 SPS, in 22-250. Nice little gun, no complaints, action was solid.
>>
In NZ this kind of rifle is called the "bushpig" and is popular with bush stalkers shooting over dogs. Most are in .308.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (30KB, 686x214px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
30KB, 686x214px
>>656252
Forgot picture.
>>
>>656210
I'll sell you my Mossberg Maverick Long bolt 30-06
>>
>>656210
For tight bush a marlin lever 30-30 fits the bill. Iron sights are fine if you're shooting 100 yards or under. 30-30 will take deer through moose just fine.

For mixed or open terrain I'd go with a savage axis 308 with 3-9 optics. Great rifle for the money.
>>
>>656261
I have a Savage Axis in .243 for Florida deer and hogs. Love that gun, shoots right on after sitting in the closet for a month or two. It's not too heavy with that plastic stock, and cost me $400 with a hundred rounds.

.243 is plenty for the things I shoot, and there's a lot of room for error because it shoots flat; the difference between 100 and 200 yards is only about 2" without adjusting the scope.
>>
I have the same question as OP, but I'm looking for an over-under 12 gauge, good as an all-rounder for hunting.
Am I right in thinking I can bag a deer with a 12 gauge?
>>
>>656304
Yep, that's what buckshot is for. Or slugs.
>>
>>656261
iron sights are not "fine for shooting under 100yards" unless you are a fantastic, experienced shooter.

Please OP if you are reading this DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE LIKE THIS. You must MUST learn that a part of hunting is ethical and moral shooting. Modern day optics are affordable and readily available and are an intrinsic part of facilitating good shooting and proper ethical shot taking for beginners and experts alike. Iron sights should be relegated to 'back up' scenarios or when your optic is damaged or failed

Please, since you are asking about caliber, gun manufactureres etc. it is evident you are very very unexperienced, and part of your learning and growing process will be developing proper and ethical shot techniques
>>
>>656323
Further a majority of "hunting" rifles do not have iron sights what so ever, and you will need an optic regardless. Its very important to make sure millenials are being taught the proper way to handle, and use firearms, as well as the proper behavior to set up and operate them. They do not have a male or father figure who did this for them, and likely learned through video games, you tube tutorials, and internet hearsay. for this reason its imperative to instill in them the proper and acceptable behavior for the responsibility of firearm ownerhsip
>>
>>656323
>>656323
>Modern day optics are affordable and readily available and are an intrinsic part of facilitating good shooting and proper ethical shot taking for beginners and experts alike. Iron sights should be relegated to 'back up' scenarios or when your optic is damaged or failed

This is just ignorant. Iron sights are viable and an excellent choice for tight bush as long as your eyesight is capable and you have a bit of practice.

They will not break and make your firearm much more wieldy in tight bush.

intrinsic part...give me a break

Anon said *under* 100 yards which is about right with a bit of practice.

OP, practice and know your limits and stay within them. If you do that, a lever with irons is a great choice for dense bush.
>>
>>656324
>millenials
>They do not have a male or father figure

Oh it's you again. Hello angry faggot who doesn't understand how hunting doesn't require daddy's hands.

OP it's simple and not an arcane mystery club open to only an elite few as this faggot would have you believe. If your eyes are good and you can consistently hit an 8" pie plate standing or kneeling at 100 yards then you're good to go with iron sights.
>>
>>656324
>Further a majority of "hunting" rifles do not have iron sights what so ever

The anon said lever action 30-30 you piece of shit. They'll pretty much all have irons unless you cherry pick a specialty model.
>>
>>656324
You truly are an insufferable faggot. Iron sights are perfectly fine out to and beyond 100 yards. People in the military go from no experience to shooting iron sights out to 300m on a E-type target not much larger than a deer/boar in the span of three weeks.

OP, get a 30-30 and practice with it before going out and you'll be fine.
>>
>>656324
In Canada you need a license to buy or own firearms, and the 2 days class you take (3 for restricted fun guns) covers safety, proper use, storage etc. Other countries have similar classes available.

SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>>656304
>can bag a deer with a 12 gauge
sure. its gonna be a no brainer out 50 about 75 yards. 125 is the max i would ever shoot a deer with a shotgun at, and be expected to trail that motherfucker cause it ain't gonna just drop.

but can you bag one with it? yea no problem.
>>
>>656210
Go to >>/k/.
Read the sticky.
not trying to be a dick but the /k/ sticky is pretty informative.
>>656215
This guy is right. I have never heard someone say "I wish I hadn't bought this nugget".
>>
>>656323
if you can't hit a 3foot x 3foot target with an ar15 at 300 yards using iron sights you are not even good enough to be infantry.
>>
>>656352
Excuse me but I Don't know any People Who are There feet wide...
>>
Three
>>
>>656369
>he doesnt know any Americans.
Fucking yuropoors
>>
>>656369
i don't know any isis terrorists. that doesn't mean the infantry training is wrong.

if you can't hit 3x3 at 300 you sure as fuck can't it 1x1 at 100. and that is the approximate kill box of a god sized deer.

i was replyling to a iron sights argument. sure yea it would be nice to hit the deer right square in the heart and drop him right there. but how often does that happen for you? as long as you put it through his lungs he is gonna go down quck. and anyone with any amount of practice should be able to do that at 100 yards with iron sights.
>>
File: image.jpg (967KB, 1984x1322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
967KB, 1984x1322px
>>656210
Did someone say Remington 700 in 30-06? Has a Nikon scope with bullet drop compensation crosshairs.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>656401
Took this pic in my bedroom so not much to see through the scope, but you can see the crosshairs this way.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 768x443px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 768x443px
>>656323
>>656324
This made me laugh.

But seriously this guy is right. True hunters know that a big part of the hunt is shot placement. Anyone can go willy nilly with a gun and kill something, that's easy. But seasoned hunters know that shot placement is a big part of the hunt, something casual "hunters" wouldn't understand.
>>
File: slightlyModified.jpg (551KB, 2965x1173px) Image search: [Google]
slightlyModified.jpg
551KB, 2965x1173px
>>656210
For a brush gun, a lever action in .30-30, .35 Remington, .45/70, or .444 Marlin will do nicely. Get a good peep sight and you're golden out to 125 or 150 yards if you practice with it a bit. A scoped .30-06, .270, or .308 will shoot further and flatter, but it's harder to get a good look at a moving target through a scope, so you have to pick your poison there.

Or you could do what I did, mount a scope high so you can see the irons underneath it on your .30-06. I've shot deer sighting both ways. Pic related.

Also, if you don't mind reloading (which you should do anyway, you'll get ammo that's better in your gun), you can get almost any milsurp bolt action and have a serviceable deer rifle. I have a MAS model 36 and took a deer with it a couple of years ago.
>>
>>656424
Just realized I took that pic before I changed out the irons to work with the scope setup. I've got a flip-down buckhorn on there now.
>>
since everyone is talking about brush guns, i just want to mention i have taken deer with my .357 henry lever action. it isnt very accurate past 100 yards but it will put a hole through a 2x8. and you can double up on ammo.
>>
>>656436
Good point, anon. Bigger pistol calibers, like .357 mag, .454 cockextender, and .44 mag are good brush guns. I didn't mention them in >>656424 because I was just thinking about traditional rifle calibers.
>>
>>656210
Savage model 11 hog hunter
or
Savage model 11 scout
>>
>>656210
I just had a thought, Opie. Those things often hurt, but I'm sharing it here. If you want a reliable gun on a budget, you might consider going to a Wal-Mart or such and looking at their special order New England Firearms rifles. They'll be single shot break-action guns, but they're generally tough, accurate, and cheap.
>>
>>656216
I just wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a grizzly with a cartridge that small. If I lived in a place without grizzlies, i would definitely grab SKS when going innawoods.
>>
>>656350
>This guy is right. I have never heard someone say "I wish I hadn't bought this nugget".

I really fucking regret buying an ar15 as my first gun now that mosins are retard pricey for what they are
>>
>>656671
eh you already passed the biggest hurdle by paying out the extra money for the AR. Yeah my mosin was only $100 but inexpensive surplus ammo isn't going to last forever it will become an expensive to shoot like every other uncommon .30 cal eventually. Plus cleaning your rifle to get rid of the primer salts after each session is something I could live without. Not to mention with the modularity of your AR down the road you can effectively turn it into 2 guns down the road if you wish.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 999x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 999x345px
Am I retarded for wanting to bring this with me innawoods? It seems more practical than a bolt gun.
>>
>>656252
And faggots from aucks own it in 7mm08
>>
>>656669

.22lr will kill a bear, and x39 is literally just 30-30, its fine for grizzly

>>656678

Yes you are, get something cheap and reliable, the outdoors is punishment.
>>
>>656694

I'm perfect;y comfortable with my Ruger 10/22 w/ iron-sights anywhere, of all the rifles I own, it's hands down my fave.
>>
>>656694
.22lr takes a very long time to kill a bear, don't bet your life on it.

More importantly, the thought that 7.62x39mm is equivalent to .30-30 Winchester is incorrect. The military round uses a bullet 25 grains lighter than the 19th century round and achieves slightly slower muzzle velocity. This equates to noticeably less energy anywhere on its useful range and to less stability (and, therefore, accuracy) downrange. The x39 is fine for deer, though. Just understand it's not as powerful as the .30-30 or any of the traditional levergun rounds.
>>
File: DSC04078.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04078.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Ruger 10/22 takedown
>>
>>656323
>unless you are a fantastic, experienced shooter
well you wont get good at em if you only ever shoot with optics
for someone who rips on millenials you sure seem fond of the entitled "let technology do it for me because i want results NOW" mindset.
And fyi it does not take a lot of work to become proficient with irons under 100yds or within the practical range of your naked eye.
>>
>>656453
Excellent choices
>>
>>657477
Agreed. Sounds like >>656323 is just an armchair hunter who doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
File: hey there sexy.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
hey there sexy.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
savage axis in 30-06
>>
>>656210
Do you need it for defense against predators or hunting? You don't want a lot of magnification when you have to aim at a bear that's potentially coming at you.

If grizzlies bears are what you want to guard against, .375 hh is a safe bet. It'll just about kill every land animal in north America with no problem at all.
>>
Youre all retards.

AR-15 with uppers in .223 and 450 bushmaster.
>>
>>656694

its astounding how fucking retarded you are. Please suck off your precious 22lr repeatedly until dead.
>>
>>657767
Oops, didn't see the budget part in OP's post. Even the cheapest 375hh rifle that I know costs over a grand.
>>
>>657770
I just don't like ARs, friend. They're ugly. Your mileage obviously varies, though. That doesn't make either of us retarded. Thinking you can kill a bear with a .22lr in less than the rest of your life would.
>>
>>656210
I have used a AMD AK for the last 5 or so years and really enjoyed it. But recently switched to a AR "pistol" with a "arm brace " in 300 blackout. 300 blk is good for up close and can reach out a decent bit, was designed around a short barrel, and is insanely quite with sub sonic ammo. Also if you don't add a bunch of stuff to it, it is very light with a 30 round mag.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.