[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping bag alternatives for college weather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 7852188.jpg (135KB, 919x497px) Image search: [Google]
7852188.jpg
135KB, 919x497px
Just like the title says.
From 20 to about -40 F, are there any viable alternatives to using a sleeping bag?

I was reading up on Surplus color weather gear and someone was saying that the Lv7 ECWCS trousers and jacket could be worn instead of using a sleeping bag because they are rated to -40. Theoretically this would allow you to get up and see what that dump was quicker, and they pack smaller than most comparably warm sleeping bags.

-this is assuming you are sleeping in a 4 season tent, with a reflective space blanket beneath you to bounce your heat back on you.-

Picture is the suit in question. It is over sized, so even if it gets really bad or if it doesn't work as well as it says, I could layer up.
>>
File: bgd-recreational[1].jpg (32KB, 606x455px) Image search: [Google]
bgd-recreational[1].jpg
32KB, 606x455px
This stuff looks pretty hardcore:

http://www.fortressclothing.com/all-products

Their normal stuff is -30F rated and their extreme stuff is up to -68F
>>
>>654599
That's actually a pretty nice sounding idea, considering I usually have to get up like 5 times when doing overnights.

http://www.kommandostore.com/new/austrian-sniper-sleeping-bag.html

Maybe not what you're looking for, but it's still a cool alternative.
>>
>>654599
You have to be extremely careful about wearing clothing while sleeping in very cold conditions. It is very easy to cut off circulation while you are sleeping and have very bad frostbite set in. Something as simple as socks that are a bit too tight can do this and you can end up losing toes. This can happen even in -40 equipment simply because there's nothing heating it when the circulation is too low or cut off.

I'm not joking about this shit either.
>>
>>654605
The level 7 stuff is rated basically the same as their entry level, and can be had for a fraction. I'm not honestly going to see -40, maybe like -20 if it gets BAYUD.
But would YOU consider the idea of wearing the puff suit instead of a bag as a grounded one?
>>654610
Exactly. The "bump" always makes me have to pee, and the process seems to always be 10 minutes. I'd rather just stand up, waddle out and go than have to loose all warmth by getting out of my bag.

My biggest concern is loosing heat, or how effective these items are at sealing it in.
>>
>>654612
The ECWCS l7 stuff is designed to go over the soldiers standard clothes (along with the other base layers) and armor, so since I won't be wearing a flack nor the armored diaper (it's a thing) I should be good, I think. If I get the chance to try on a puff suit I'll take it. Thank you for the heads up.
>>
>>654599
i do like the coat
but in place of a bag is a bad idea see
>>654612
you don't wanna mess with stuff like that, depending on the circumstance you may not even wake up before you lose something

i have a -10 degree mountain bag that i pair with a thermal liner and while getting up to piss is a bitch sometimes, as well as that first morning shit, id still rather have my bag than a puff suit
>>
>>654621
I've got a -15 bag, and I sleep in thermals.
This is while I am on a solid foam pad, over a reflective space blanket. I stay warm lol

Now this is for both the jacket and the trousers. All I would need afterwards is to cover up my hands and head for -40 (my over boot will be under the elastic at the bottom of the pant leg, allowing for better warmth)
>>
>>654614
sleeping bag would probably be better just because there is no way any cold can get in
>>
>>654624
Except for the face.
But then if I encounter these -40 colds at night, should I then still buy the puff suit to wear during the day?

(I can get a set for $100, which sparked this)
>>
>>654628
well shit, just grab it up and report back to us on how it is
>>
>>654628
>>654630
and if you hate it you can sell me the jacket for cheap
>>
>>654631
Fuck that, if I hate it I'm selling it for $400 lol. XXL-Xl (2xl, extra long ) surplus is fucking unicorn horn, especially cold weather.
>>
>>654634
ahhhh cmon maaaan don't be like that
lemme get it no hobo
>>
>>654635
There are three levels of Ifs to reach that point, so we'll see.
>>
>>654642
>three levels of lfs
What's that anon?
>>
The thing is, what are you trying to gain? You couldn't walk in those clothes because you'll simply end up boiling yourself inside them. So you end up carrying them in your pack, like a sleeping bag...
>>
>>654646
If I get them
If I don't like them
If I choose to sell them
>>654661
not at night I wouldn't, and if there is a space and weight savings wouldn't that make it worth it?
>>
>>654810
No, but at night you'll be better off with a sleeping bag because it's more efficient, it has way less temperature loss surface, and will be a lot lighter and less bulky. Also I'm pretty sure these temperature ratings are for use while awake (body burns more calories), and i've found that military gear temperature rates are much exaggerated anyways.
>>
>>654810
Oh, I thought it was an L.
>>
>>654599
>with a reflective space blanket beneath you to bounce your heat back on you.-

When did this meme start? A space blanket will not insulate you from the cold embrace of mother earth. You better get some form of proper insulation to sleep on.
Protip: a closed cell foam pad can be had for under $10US and only weighs a couple of ounces.
>>
>>654884
The list as it has been stated before.
Tent bottom, space blanket, closed cell foam pad, then sleeping bag.
Currently just talking about replacing the sleeping bag, not the rest of the set up.
>>
>>654599
What about the feet? Do they come with footies, or do you just hope for the best, at -40°?
>>
>>654628

So many times I've felt like my eye balls would freeze when sleeping in sub zero. It's a weird cold on your eyes that I'm sure one gets used to.
>>
>>654834

And no sleeping pad. Would need to be working all night, bivouacs are in bags for a reason. Agreed.
>>
>>654599
>not sleeping in the nude
>>
>>654884
>>655060
"Space blankets" are aluminium coated Mylar. They only reflect radiant heat, and are thermally conductive, not insulative. This means that if you put one under you or lay it directly on your skin, it will make you colder because it acts as a heatsink. The one and only time these pieces of shit are even remotely effective at keeping you warm is when they're suspended above you, either on top of a sleeping bag or as a lean-to/reflector if you sleep next to a fire.
>>
>>654599
>>654621
>Puff Suit
A Puff Suit plus a goretex Bivy bag works great if you remember to bring a couple of extra things:
1- extra socks to be used only for sleeping (wool or synthetic only obv)
2- fleece booties to go over the socks (sometimes available being sold as indoor wear aka "slipper socks")

If you simply can't get hold of fleece booties, bring a second set of thick woolen socks in a larger size.

Never wear your boots laced up when sleeping like this, but do bring them into the bivy with you so they stay dry.
>>
>>654599
this is basically Snugpak stuff, I can buy those at $40 a piece
>>
File: norse nurse.jpg (54KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
norse nurse.jpg
54KB, 600x399px
>>654610
>have to get up like 5 times when doing overnights

umm, you might want to see a doc about that. seriously.

also
>what is a gatorade bottle
>>
>>656056
>Gatorade bottle
Not him, but I'm not carrying a piss bottle when I can basically pee wherever and whenever I want, which is one of the greatest privileges a man can have. Absolutely out of the question.
Though you're right on the doctor thing.
>>
>>656076
I have pissed in a bottle before. Like hell am I going to get out my tent in the middle of a thunder and rain storm at 2 am.
>>
>>656076
>I can basically pee wherever and whenever I want
exactly. like in a bottle in my sleeping bag in the middle of the night when it's below freezing out.
>>
>>656077
>Not unzipping the tent door, getting on your knees and letting out a powerful, steaming jet
>The urine lands 3 meters away
>The jet glistens gloriously in the night
>You or the tent interior are untouched by rain
feelsgoodman.png
>>
>>654610
In cold weather that can be a product of vasoconstriction. One thing that seems to work... dunno why, but I found out about it, tried it, and it seemed to work... eat a Snickers before bed. Like one of the little fun size ones.
>>
>>656088
it's the fat. same can be accomplished by eating something like cheese, salami (god tier), or even straight butter if it comes down to it.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-30+at+08.40.26).jpg (165KB, 1137x515px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-30+at+08.40.26).jpg
165KB, 1137x515px
>>654610

>zoom in on the picture
>this text pops up

I chuckled
>>
>>656088
OP here.
Allergic to chocolate...
And the reason why is because I drink two or three gallons of water a day.
Plus, over exaggeration is a thing.
>>
>>656056
I am him. I don't have to piss that much actually. I have to get up a stupid amount of times because I'm always on the edge of freezing to death, and often the only way to remedy the bone chilling cold is to get the fire back going.
I actually rarely even piss considering I'm always in a constant state of dehydration because I live in Southern California.
>>
>>656239
You're not.
And I live in Central Ca, same parallel as SF.
It's either shitting, pissing, or making sure something didn't try to eat my food (Bear territory)
>>
>>656239
>edge of freezing to death,
>live in Southern California
>>
>>656825
different guy, but it was like 20 degrees out last night where I live in socal.
>>
>>656845
I worked outside last night in the snow. It was -15 F.

Grow a pair
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.