[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home made Jerky - Reciepes, tricks, times, temperatures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

Hy /out/, /k/ommando here.

Long story short, my wife bought me a dehydrator for christmas and now I'm making my first batch of beef jerky at the moment. Can we have a thread where we collect everything about Jerky like reciepes, tricks, times in the dehydrator and temperatures?!
>>
>>654104
I want that jerky in my mouth.
>>
>>654104
Make sure it gets over 165 degrees F at some point. Trim all visible fat, it goes bad. I like to soak mine in the fridge overnight in whatever flavor I want on it. Try teriyaki, then rolled in coarse ground black pepper. Picante sauce and tabasco work well, too. Sea salt and black pepper are surprisingly good.
>>
>>654104
>>654106
>>654225

Enjoy your cancer.
>>
Powdered New Mexican Red or Green Chile with black pepper. Obvious regional bias, but its the best
>>
>>654225
>over 165 degrees F
Total bullshit, ruins the jerky and the fat tastes awesome and lasts for weeks , longer in the freezer.
You know nothing about jerky
>>
>>654104

Meat, salt, and air. There you go. Maybe add some pepper.
>>
I'm also interested.

Favorite cuts of beef?

Seems easy enough to make, no harm in making multiple batched throughout the year.
>>
>>654503
Honestly I prefer chicken breast. The flavors are great(not quite as good as beef) and the texture is wonderful.
Also I am pretty cheap and its a bit healthier.
soy sauce and pepper is all you really need
>>
>>654104
>>>/ck/
>>
>>654342
Uh, sure... But for people who want their jerky to last long, do what >>654225 said.
>>
>>654574
Heating to 165 does not make it last longer, it just ruins the flavor . Trimming the fat may buy you a bit more time but once again , you lose in the flavor department.
>>
>>654342

I make jerky out of chuck occasionally. That is amazing when its still hot off the dehydrator and is deliciously fatty. It doesnt spoil for ages.
>>
My absolute favorit:

beef soaked in stubb's marinade.

also great marinade:
Soysauce,worchester sauce, paprika powder, chilli, majoram, garlic, tomato paste, little bit of sugar.

8-9 hours at 70°C = 158°F

they should be chewy but dry
>>
>>654503
I like to use heart. Much cheaper here than regular cuts, and low fat after you trim the outside fat away.
>>
>>655173
Same. Making heart pemmican next week. The idea is to eat it cold and plain throughout the day while hiking so I don't have to stop to cook, and use the last bit in soups, chili, etc. for a warm meal before bed.
>>
desu Extra Lean Hamburger Meat(Mince?) Jerky tastes fine and has a different but good texture vs cuts of meat.

It absorbs marinade well too. You can use a gun or just spread it between wax paper and use a rolling pin to get it thin.
>>
banned?

Extra Lean Hamburger Meat(mince? for EU) is cheap and absorbs Marinades well.
>>
>>654503
top round (london broil)
usually comes in a large slab with little to no marbling, the fat trims and the meat cuts easy after a bit of frosting in the freezer, don't freeze it all the way through, just enough that its still soft in the middle.

Its also the cheapest viable cut short of the organs.
>>
File: 917-KWzJeyL._SL1500_.jpg (308KB, 975x1500px) Image search: [Google]
917-KWzJeyL._SL1500_.jpg
308KB, 975x1500px
>all this talk of beef

I go out in the woods, kill a deer like a man, slice what I'm not packing for steaks from the hind quarter, soak the meat in cheap store bought seasoning and cure, and then throw it in the dehydrator the next day. 5lbs of meat fits it perfectly. 8 hours maximum on highest temp dehydrator allows. Just check every hour or two to flip the meat, restack trays, and remove smaller or thinner cuts before they turn to dust. Tons of flavors to choose from, but there's no huge difference in taste between the combos and putting in a bunch of extra effort with fresh ingredients.
>>
>>654342
>lasts for weeks
Jerkey should last for months, not weeks. If it's going to be stored short-term or refrigerated, leave the fat on. It'll improve the taste. I was thinking along the lines of serious food preservation, not snacks.
>>
>>654580
Heating to 165 gets rid of bacteria that you might not want in your digestive tract. Enjoy your bloody diarrhea.
>>
>>655726
I am NOT wasting deer on jerky.

>>655795
>Jerkey
FML.
>>
>>655799
If you cook a steak to 165 thats well done.
Medium rare is 130.
Are you one of those twats thats afraid of rare beef?
>>
>>656297

fucking moron probably thinks the steak is 'bloody' still
>>
>>654528
Not beef... but thanks.
>>655173
I'll save some next year and try it. Thanks.
>>655333
Nice trips. I don't save any round- I get it all ground.

Looks like I'm going with some flank, brisket, and flap.
>>
>>654225
>>654342
>>655799
>>656297
Making jerky it isn't about temperature, it is about dryness. You don't even need to heat it. Which is how biltong is made. Heating only shortens the time taken to reach the proper safe level of moisture in the meat. (10% or less for longest preservation, 20%-30% for normal preservation duration).

You also don't freeze or refrigerate it, wtf? lol

>>655801
>I am NOT wasting deer on jerky.

I do when I've no more shelf space for pressure canned and no room left in the freezer. Venison jerky is amazing.
>>
>>656320
>I do when I've no more shelf space for pressure canned and no room left in the freezer. Venison jerky is amazing.

Fair enough. I don't get to hunt enough to have that problem.

>>656297
>>656298
I'll eat beef damn near raw. I was talking about what can happen when you don't preserve it correctly. There's a difference in the two. Getting over 165 lengthens the period the jerky will remain edible, all other things (like moisture content) being equal.
>>
Got some flank and brisket from a deer.

How should I slice and make it into jerky? Never done it before.
>>
>>656320
>You also don't freeze or refrigerate it, wtf? lol
You do if you leave the fat content very high, otherwise the oils will go rancid.
>>
>>656438
>165 lengthens the period the jerky will remain edible,

myth
>>
>>656486
Nah. 165 is past the point where most enzymatic activity ceases. Getting there will tend to decrease things like mold growth that can cause problems if the food isn't properly dehydrated. It's not a cure-all, but it doesn't destroy the meat, either.
>>
>>656485
Then it isn't jerky at all. It is just low-temp cooked meat.
>>
File: zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>656485
>fat content very high
>jerky
>>
>>656552
>>656552
No temp at all , just drying .
I do not heat mine.
Believe it or not there are things you know nothing about.
>>
>>656498
>if the food isn't properly dehydrated

If the food is not properly dehydrated , you did not make jerky
>>
File: 1429572457895.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1429572457895.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>656567
>>656498
You don't have, "high fat jerky". Jerky does not work that way at all. You trim all fat off and leave only use lean meat with low fat content. It is why wild animals like deer, elk, and bison are amazing for jerky making while fattened cows are not nearly as good.

>No temp at all , just drying .

Really because I swore I read "Nah. 165", "Getting over 165", "Heating to 165", and "Make sure it gets over 165 degrees F at some point." in this line of conversation.
>>
>>656786
Fatty jerky tastes amazing anon and it will last for a three week camping trip.
Best cut for this is chuck eye.

Lean jerkys last much much longer but do not taste as good and lack the energy packed fat calories of its fattier cousin.
>>
>>656786
To meet food safety regulations in the US, to be able to legally sell it, yes. That said, my dehydrator ( not my design, this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5s93ZIuvo ) runs around 140-150°F and I haven't gotten sick from my jerky.
>>
File: 1450828661994.gif (992KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1450828661994.gif
992KB, 400x225px
Kek reminds of me

>go on 4 day kayaking/camping trip with two other friends
>for food only bring 4 lbs of jerkey one buddy made the week before
>figure we will catch fish all the way along the river
>catch nothing
>force feed eachother jerkey for four days

I couldn't eat anything smoked for like a year after that
>>
>>656819
That will give you the ketonis real bad.
did your mouth taste funny?
>>
>>656819
>dat gif

Is that the guy who was having a butter crisis?
>>
>>656821
Who knows it was a few years ago

The last night we camped at an actual camp site and there was a general store. So needless to say I drank 40 beers, ate 3 sandwiches and all was right again

>>656822
Kek I don't know sauce on it
>>
>>656824
He is a big celebrity in norway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0GzU56YMA
>>
>>656942
>he's balls deep in your wife
Shows what you know, my wife would never let some guy go balls deep in her. She does not even let me do that, just the tip plus a little more if Im lucky.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with people?

>>656792
140-150 isn't 165

>>656791
"fatty jerky" isn't jerky
>>
>>654282
Enjoy not having jerky
>>
>>656942
Listen buddy, I feel like I'd know if my hand was sleeping around, but thanks for your concern.
>>
>>658777
>>656957
why did his post get deleted?
>>
>>656966 #
>140-150 isn't 165
Really? This whole time I thought I was just bad at math.

I'm aware that 150<165, jackass. What I was saying, you no-reading-comprehension fuckwit, was this: while an internal temperature of ≥ 165°F must be met in order for jerky to be legally sold, I personally have never gotten ill from consuming jerky that was made at the 140-150°F range (which falls short of the 165°F required for meeting "food safety" standards).
>>
>>659351
That's not jerky though. That's just very dry fully cooked meat.
>>
>>659648
this
jerky means raw
>>
Does anyone know how to replicate the beef jerkey at Love's gas stations? Shit's amazing.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.