[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter canoeing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: winter canoe.jpg (134KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
winter canoe.jpg
134KB, 500x330px
This is dangerous chit, is it not?

Lakes by me don't look like they will freeze over this winter so in lieu of ice fishing I may get out in the canoe. Water will still be 35ish degrees and very lethal. Anyone canoe in the winter on water this cold? Anything I should know? What safety precautions do you take in winter?
>>
I don't know much about canoeing but wear a life vest, it will stop you're heart from exploding if you happen to fall in, it's not about drowning
>>
>>649921
Dry suit not recommend, dry suit is mandatory, lot of solo sea kayaker stories of them going hypothermic trying to get back into the boat. Keep a bilge pump w you and a paddle float (if solo boating to get back into your canoe,)
Leave a RAD plan w folks, (route, area, destination) w a turn around time, worry time, call 911 time
Properly fitted type 3 pfd
Thermos w hot drink (if you go in, you'll need to rewarm internal and w exercise,) extra layers,
>>649929
Nope. None of this.
>>
>>
>>649921
Bring plenty of ways to keep your hands warm, especially if youre fishing from the canoe.

A good pair of boots your feet will get real cold because they won't be moving.
>>
>>649921
not really dangerous if you keep close to land and have a dry bag with a change of clothes in. it also helps being two or more people. dry suits are expensive, uncomfortable and not really needed. when was the last time anyone not retarded died from fucking flat water paddling? yep, never. if you fall out it will be when boarding on or off, ie close to safety anyways.
>>
>>650102
>when was the last time?...
There's a thread about it right now.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35048095
>>
>>650002
dude i'm not even a waterfaring people but i want one of these. what an age we live in.
>>
>>650102
no one intends to have an accident dude.
>>
I've dumped in freezing water... It literally takes your breath away - like your chest muscles tighten up and you can't draw air in. I had a quart of coleman fuel and we poured it out a little at a time in a divot of a large rock and lit it. Finally thawed our fingers out enough to get out clothes off and changed into dry. Was sorta OK after that. Could've been REALLY bad.
>>
>>650141
this is my nightmare scenerio. i've def had the heart attack sensation a couple times falling through ice, but it was in the woods near the house, and not actually /out/, and not deep enough to have drowned. but it's scary how you lock up and your whole body turns to clay when you go under like that. shit's dire. one of my biggest goals this winter is to record ice thunder and ice pings on a nearby lake with my contact mics, and i just know i'm gonna take stupid risks because of my enthusiasm. i hope i don't fall through at all!

also, this
https://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8
>>
I canoe through out the winter here in the UK but it dosnt really get that serious here. I have been out down to -5 but thats abit it. It's all about risk and decision making when it comes to clothing. If I think I'm at risk of capsizing I will wear a drysuit. If I'm fully confident I will stay dry, I will layer the fuck up and be nice and cosy. Drysuit are warm but as said before can be expensive and theyre just not comfortable. Learn how to recover and re-enter a canoe on your own prior to cold water paddling in a controlled environment. If you are not successful first time it can get serious. Although not normally necessary for flat water canoeing if you are paddling solo consider outfitting the canoe with airbags. This will make recovery of the canoe easier. Some body mentioned a floatation device. Insure you get a Bauyancy aid instead of a life jacket. In certain scenarios life jackets are more of a hindrance than help. Just use common sense, only go out in conditions you are confident in.
>>
canadafag here. probably wasting my time in writing this. I don't have the will to be converting units from imperial to metric for you. If you want responses post your temps in imperial and metric. No need to respond.
>>
>>650102
No one should isten to this person.

Generally, a person can survive in 41-degree F water for 10 to 20 minutes before the muscles get weak, you lose coordination and strength. Strong winds, poor layering, ice that is difficult to navigate, shore further than you thought, all can contribute to things taking longer than you think to get out and get dry and warm. Cold water can make you functionally incapable in as quick as 15 minutes.
How fast do you think you can get back into a canoe, right it, drain it, and get yourself situated?
>>
>>650146
Bouyancy aid v PFD?! Are you friggin nuts?
A PFD AND a paddle float bag can allow solo boating reentry into a canoe. Always wear a type 3 PFD boating. Not wearing one in cold water is incredibly stupid. The only hindrance would be a poorly fitting cheap ass PFD. Don't buy a cheap ass throw away piece of safety equipment. Fucking a, you don't buy shoe strings for seat belts.
>>
>>650157
shitcunt
>>
>>650157
well aren't we a special and unique shitcunt
>>
File: 20150822_123517.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150822_123517.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>650102

I will be on a fairly large lake in a 14 ft canoe with 55lb thrust electric trolling motor. I will be alone but will wear a life vest. A dry bag + clothes is a good idea, i have one and I'll take it. I would like to rig some sort of kill switch to the trolling motor but not sure how.

Yea, it's "flat water" but it sometimes looks like pic related with 3 ft swells coming over the bow. Worse in the summer though when the cruise ships and speed boats go by. If the wind is >8mph I don't go out, but 4-7mph can get rough on this lake. I won't be trying cold water trip unless it's <5mph.
>>
>>650157
>If you want responses post your temps in imperial and metric.

1-3 degrees Celsius ambient air temp and surface water temp.
>>
>>650141
Your breath is actually taken away.

It's called cold shock response. This is the most dangerous part of falling into cold water. You can drown within seconds of hitting the water if you fall in unexpectedly.

>>649921
OP and others should read this:
http://beyondcoldwaterbootcamp.com/4-phases-of-cold-water-immersion
>>
>>650219
I'm not really sure what you're getting angry about as you are agreeing with me... A Bauyancy aid and pfd are 2 different terms for the same piece of equipment. A life jacket is different. If you want to get angry at somebody go throw rocks at children on street corners. I feel it would be more beneficial for everybody.
>>
>>650116
i know man. looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>650235
Funny, that looks almost like the lake near me... [spoiler]Empty Rucksack Lake, Alaska?[/spoiler]
>>
>>650539
>Funny, that looks almost like the lake near me... [spoiler]Empty Rucksack Lake, Alaska?[/spoiler]

Adirondacks NY actually.
>>
>>650442
Personal flotation device, nobody calls it life jacket anymore granpda.
>>
>>649921
Coldish water carries dangers, but I can't see it being more dangerous than warm water canoeing otherwise. That said, I have an aluminum canoe and can't imagine taking that thing out on cold water. You'd freeze (or at least go hypothermic) through the hull.
>>
>>651422
Dude I'm 20. Do some research first. A life jacket is designed to keep you alive and keep your head above water if you are unconscious. They are very hard to swim in for long distances. Personal flotation devices or Bauyancy aids are designed to increase your Bauyancy and make swimming easier especially in a white water environment. Fucking educate yourself before you try and be a smart arse
>>
>>651438
What you described is a type 5 PFD with increased BUOYANCY
>>
>>651658
Read this
http://www.seasafe.co.uk/faqs/-/what-is-the-difference-between-a-buoyancy-aid-and-a-lifejacket
>>
>>649921
I have kayaked in 32 degree water and went in over rapids a few times. It's not as dangerous as people say. You would be wearing a coat and lifejacket and it takes a moment for the cold to soak through.

You can only last so long, so if on a lake or ocean, stay within a 5 minute swim from shore.

Then just start running towards civilization. As long as you have plenty of calories in your belly (hopefully some alcohol too), you should warm up. I wouldn't try this many miles from a heat source.
>>
>>650444
Believe me, they're not comfortable. They're sweaty, cold, and cumbersome.
They're meant to keep you from freezing to death, not be a soft cozy onesie.

I was a fisherman in the north Atlantic for a couple years, and I only wore them when there was a good chance of going in the drink. Which was pretty often.
>>
>>649929
>heart from exploding

I thought it was to stop you drowning from the gasp reflex when you spaz out.
>>
>>653064
>alcohol
no
>>
>>649921
It hasn't been an extremely cold winter, but I've been kayak fishing a lot the last few weeks. I don't think it would kill me if I fell (at least in a short time) in but I don't know for sure.
>>
this should be a reminder to you guys heading out. bad conditions can kill you and always wear a flotation device.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/29/entertainment/oklahoma-craig-strickland-missing/
>>
>>653064
Never EVER think of using alcohol as a source for "warmth". Easiest fucking way to get hypothermia
>>
>>651666
>>co.uk.
Aha, I see where our disconnect is coming from.
USCG for a long time and ACA have tried to get folks using the term PFD not life jacket
>>
>>655817
I can confirm. It only makes you FEEL warmer when in reality you're losing warmth. Lots of homeless people die this way.
>>
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/04/two-men-dead-2-others-missing-after-wisconsin-canoe-accident.html
>>
>>649921
>Water will still be 35ish degrees and very lethal.
Sure, you'll die if you're out in the middle of a big river or lake and can't get out of the water in time, but if you dump in - or even jump in, for fun - for a short time and then get out and dry off quickly, it's not going to kill you. Don't forget that rivers are variable in depth. A lot of the rivers that I canoe on, if your canoe tips, you can just stand up. I'd suggest doing your winter canoeing on smaller rivers like that. You don't want to rely on a life-preserver to keep you above a layer of ice.
>>
>>655817
That's not exactly what he said.
>>
>>658513
Rut roh
>>
>>650235
Rig a kill switch on the battery cable power supply. If you fall out it yanks the wire off the battery so it kills the power.
>>
>>656882
No, they went back to calling them life jackets. Seems like they change their terminology preference every couple of years.
>>
If you do go in, the first thing you do is focus on controlling your breathing, then figure out what you need to do.
>>
The logical thing to do here is set up a controlled experiment. 35-40 degree water, jump in, have friends there with blankets/towels.
I can tell you from personal experience it feels like your lungs are getting compressed.

If you don't think you can handle capsizing, you'd be better off waiting until spring. Late spring as the waters will stay cold for quite a while after air temps are spring-like.

Or just don't capsize.
>>
>>658622
The rest of us never stopped calling them life jackets.
>>
File: readabook.jpg (65KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
readabook.jpg
65KB, 566x480px
>>656882
>>658622
>>658735
Source: Canadian Red Cross Website

-A Canadian approved standard lifejacket, when worn properly, is designed to turn an unconscious person from face down to face up in the water, allowing them to breathe.

-A Canadian approved PFD is designed to keep you afloat in the water.

So to summarize:
Life jacket: -floats
-turns you face up
PFD:-floats
>>
>>658731
>The logical thing to do here is set up a controlled experiment. 35-40 degree water, jump in, have friends there with blankets/towels.
Fucking pussy. Can you literally not handle your own towel? Everyone in my family has jumped in water outdoors in the winter or when ice was forming in the fall/spring. You don't die right fucking away. It's cold and it shocks you, but you can still swim around and haul yourself out and dry yourself off.
>>
>>653064
you dumb
>>
>>658986
I can handle it just fine dumb ass. I said for OP to set up a controlled experiment since OP has never been in water that cold.

Reading comprehension.... it's really not that difficult.
>>
>>650113
>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35048095
he specifically said "flatwater paddling". These guys had their kayaks capsized by strong waves.
>>
>>649921
Being in cold water mean that heat is being pumped out of your body.
Even if you get out of the water, with wet clothes under the wind, it will be hard.
It is not dangerous if you prepare to a fall in the water. Doing it like you were in summer is like climbing a cliff without a cord: if anything goes wrong, you die.
>>
File: Document[1].png (14KB, 438x334px) Image search: [Google]
Document[1].png
14KB, 438x334px
>>649921
Pic related. Keep in mind that it does not stop when you get out of water.
I think warping yourself in space blanket with half a dozen of hand warmer in your clothes will buy you some hours, but you need to dry.
>>
>>658935
>canadian red cross
Try a maritime agency next time, kiddo.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.