[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoors clothing brands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 29

File: johan-jagtskjorte.jpg (237KB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
johan-jagtskjorte.jpg
237KB, 1600x2000px
Where does /out/ shop outdoors clothing?

I've recently become quite happy with a new brand called Northern Hunting. Also Fjällräven
>>
I have a few shirts from rei, a thing or two from Columbia, and then a pairs of offbrand synthetic pants and shirts. Does anybody have any recommendations for a jacket or coat for 30-40' F temperatures?
>>
>>649399
I think you should go with lots of layers. I was at a lecture with a guy from Sirius(see link) and he described his clothing as follows:

>Fine mesh underwear(to avoid
>Woolen underwear(in very cold weather, two layers)
>Thick winter pants
>Fleece jacket
>Wind breaker
>Thick cotton jacket
>Down coat
>Boots(3 sizes too big)
>Two pair of thick woolen socks
>Thin gloves
>Thick mitts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slædepatruljen_Sirius
>>
>>649402
>Fleece jacket
>Wind breaker
>Thick cotton jacket
>Down coat

4 coats for 30-40F weather. Yeah....no.

I actually get a lot of my /out/ clothing from Old Navy. Their active wear line of clothing is pretty good and its super cheap. I got some synthetic long sleeve shirts for $10 each.
>>
>>649404
I thought he meant -30-40... sorry
>>
>>649404
I guess I should clarify that 30' would be the absolute coldest at night. The weather could all the way up into the 50s. El nino has given us an extremely warm december. At the moment I have long underwear, nylon pants, wool socks, a synthetic thermal shirt, a longsleeve synthetic shirt, and a microfleece pullover (probably not warm enough) I also have a fleece jacket liner that's somewhat warm. If I pair the two together I think they should be adequate . I've heard good things about down, but it seems to be fairly expensive.
>>
>>649414
Do you have a rain jacket or anything for wind? You probably don't need any down but your polarfleece will be useless in wind by itself.
>>
File: fuckinlolbigfootgorp.png (1MB, 1902x2770px) Image search: [Google]
fuckinlolbigfootgorp.png
1MB, 1902x2770px
>>649398
I like the idea of owning Fjällräven clothing. However my wallet severely disagrees.

Some military surplus can be good to have, lower price point, still good materials etc.
>>
>>651492
>Fjallraven

I've never seen a clothing company turn into a meme faster than this one. All those cel phone sized 70 dollar backpacks in every color of the rainbow on people's backs. Absolutely haram.
>>
File: ArcTeryx_atom_.jpg (43KB, 445x260px) Image search: [Google]
ArcTeryx_atom_.jpg
43KB, 445x260px
>>649398
I have a lot of TAD, ArcTeryx, and Icebreaker stuff, it's spendy but is outstanding gear and well made. Recently tried Fjallraven pants and like em a lot
>>
>>651529
Do yourself a favour and drop the sand-nigger speak there, Mehmet.
>>
File: Ralphies-soap-600x420.jpg (47KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
Ralphies-soap-600x420.jpg
47KB, 600x420px
>>651529
>haram
alright that's enough
>>
I'll buy any brand as long as the price is good. Typically as long as your buying it from some sort of outdoor store and not a mall / department / fashion store the quality will be good.
>>
>>649614
At Macy's they have a 32 degree coat. They even have a packing sock about the size of a water bottle.
>>
>>651578
>>651581
Leave him alone, muslimspeak is a prefectly fine meme.
Also, he's right, it's overpriced even if it still had the same quality it had years ago (tip: it doesn't).
>>
File: mfw2.jpg (72KB, 467x679px) Image search: [Google]
mfw2.jpg
72KB, 467x679px
>>651529
>mfw when Fjällräven Kanken
>>
>>649398
Outdoor clothing? Just my regular stuff from random stores. I don't go camping in winter so it's not really necessary to buy anything fancy.
>>
>>649414
Sounds like you have most of what you would want for those temperatures. At 30 to 50 I wear a a polypropylene shirt under a fleece and a rain jacket if the weather is bad. Freezing rain is unpleasant.
>>
>>651785
Yeah I ended up being fine. Only trouble was I wore too many layers at the start of the hike and had to keep stopping to remove them
>>
I just purchased a Simms guide jacket for fishing in shitty rainy weather. Loooove it.
>>
Don't want to post a completely new thread for this, but what are the best all around pants for outdoors I know jeans are a no no. And also what about if you were going through snow would you need a forested type shell for them?
>>
>>653660
Why are jeans a no-no?
Not trying to debate, I actually don't know.
>>
>>653661
I remember someone saying on here that they provide no wind resistance and when they get wet you're fucked.
>>
TAD and Arc'Teryx are my go-tos.
>>
Duluth trading Co

So comfy mane

They make stuff for a walk through the woods and then they make shit that can survive Alaskan yeti attacks and hurricanes. And the comfort mane.
>>
military surplus
>>
>>653661
If you can afford to not uses them fine. Cotton doesn't help with cold once it gets wet even with sweat. For most people this will not be a thing that will get them killed. If you can afford to drop 300 bucks on some sweet outdoor pants, enjoy.
>>
>>653701
Why the fuck would you buy shit even the soldiers complain about ?
>>
>>653706
Proper Polycotton, Nylon or softshell pants can be had for well below 100€ here.
>>
>>649398
Arcteryx in the winter, 5.11 in the summer.
>>
yo whats a good jacket for wind and cold and stuff
>>
>>653733
Melts my fucking brain why people want to wear our shit. Its purchased by the lowest bidder because we're on a contract to the country.
>>
>>653747
I like, but $550 for the Arc't Sabre pants I'm looking at.

> baka
>>
>>655878
I want their bib pants which coats 600 bucks, but at present I only have their drac pants, it's good enough for what I use it for.
>>
>>655800
I have a North Face (Quest, I think) jacket that works perfect for wind and rain. Not insulated tho but works fine down to -5 C with two good layers underneath.

Good wrist straps to stop heat from escaping and zippers at armpits for when it's warm.
>>
>>649402
>all that shit
>30'-40'F

Nigga I am from the desert and i can do it with jeans and a carhartt sweatshirt.

A little chilly, but im aure a thicker jacket and some long john silvers would fix that.
>>
File: ryujehtgqrfe.jpg (117KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ryujehtgqrfe.jpg
117KB, 800x800px
>>653733
>>655876
You're not the only country in the world, you know.
>>
>>655927
read the thread
he mistook fahrenheit for celcius
>>
>>655934
No.

I dont want to and you cant make me.
>>
naturkompaniet usually

has fjällräven and the usual lower quality export brands you non-scandis are used to
>>
File: 6460_C[1].jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
6460_C[1].jpg
36KB, 500x500px
>>649398
Woolrich makes the softest, most insulating, and strongest shirts I've ever wore. Seriously, you'll fall in love with some of their heavy cotton shirts like these ones
>>
File: 1444328486350.jpg (94KB, 601x665px) Image search: [Google]
1444328486350.jpg
94KB, 601x665px
I'll ask this here as opposed to making my own thread

I am oversaturated with information on rain jackets and layering. Can someone post me a comprehensive and concise guideline for the layering etiquette for all four seasons? Also: could a GoreTex cycling jersey be sufficient as an all-season/purpose outer shell?
>>
>>656089
>I am oversaturated with information on rain jackets and layering. Can someone post me a comprehensive and concise guideline

there is none. all that talk is just made up by people trying to sell you their clothing. you just wear what works for you. there is no one size fits all clothing approach.
>>
>>656110
>you just wear what works for you. there is no one size fits all clothing approach.

This exact approach fucked me really good a few weeks ago after getting caught in a freezing rain storm on the top of Roan Knob on the AT, so I am being extremely overcautious as I don't want to get near hypothermia again
>>
>>656112
What's so hard about it. You get a waterproof (hardshell or softshell+poncho), windproof (windbreaker, hard/softshell, pretty much any jacket), or no top depending on the situation and enough suitable isolation beneath. (Plus baselayer, which is really only the part of insulation closest to your body).

GoreTex is both a membrane fabric and a brand. If your "jersey" is not actually a waterproof breathable jacket, it's not a suitable top layer.

>>656112
Your water protection and/or your insulation sucked or was insufficent. Get a good rainjacket/poncho and enough insulation.
>>
>>656129
Thanks, as I said I'm being overly-cautious because of that awful experience and because I'm a college student (so, I have a static budget). The item I'm looking at in particular is made with Pertex which, from what I've read, is a relatively new material, so comparisons with GoreTex or eVent, are few and far between. Do you know anything about it?
>>
>>656140
Pertex is a one-layer polyamide thing IIRC. A softshell material if it has a proper DWR (Durable Water Repellent) impregnation.
Softshells are generally cheaper than (good) harshells, but won't keep the water out forever. They are also more breathable though, so it's not a bad idea to take a softshell and add a cheap light poncho for when it's really raining.
>>
File: filson.jpg (27KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
filson.jpg
27KB, 640x368px
I just paid way too much for a Filson Moleskin Seattle shirt. But damn I love this shirt.
>>
>>656144
How many washes can a dwr coating endure? I got a set of Arcteryx softshells with dwr and I don't want to wear them oyt
>>
>>649398

Stopped by the Field & Stream store a few months back and picked up a few pairs of Wigwam Ultimax Pro Dri-Release Tencell mid-weight boot height socks, and they’ve become my go-to all day erry day socks (also available in black and grey).
>>
In regards to Military surplus, its practicality comes from the individual item and the price. For example, a treated US M65 Jacket or Austrian M65 make great outer layers, but if it reaches a certain price point you're better off normal clothes.

Why spend $80 on an M65 when you could get an arguably better and more water proof jacket for the same price? If inherited or found for a fair price they're great and don't look terribly autistic, with a liner they become a fantastic jacket.

Another example would be those Gorka's you see floating around. Brilliant design and engineering behind it, but for over $120 it's practicality becomes suspect when Gore-tex can be had for the same price. A family member was issued one when he served during the Chechnya revolt, he loved the thing until it finally fell apart years later.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no "patagonia"
>no "Mountain Hardware"
>one mention of Arc'teryx

guys
>>
File: GreenMenAre effay.png (238KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
GreenMenAre effay.png
238KB, 500x298px
>>656908
You'll get a mesh of people here when it comes to /out/ clothing. Some don't see the reasoning behind buying more expensive clothing, others see the value of polartec and Arc'teryx. Some even go all out with Fallkraven.

I can respect those choices, they're practical clothing. I don't know what camp I'd fit into, I inherited all of my milsurp and fudd clothes, never had the need to replace any of it.
>>
>military surplus stores
Outer layers, hats, gloves etc.
>sports/outdoor stores
Bags, sleeping bags, shoes
>random domestic clothing manufacturers
Base and middle layers. socks

That's roughly the spread looking at my current gear.
>>
>>656908
I see three references to arcteryx up there.
>>
what's the opinion of Condor? I usually prefer using ""tactical"" clothing, usually because it's more functional.
>>
>>656112
dude I am no outdoors guru but spending like 5 minutes tops outside I can tell if what I am wearing is going to be sufficient for temp, wind, and precipitation. that plus reading a weather report to ballpark any variation and I am not sure you can caught off guard.
>>
I've been happy with Bergans and Helly Hansen clothes.
Norrona is for people with too much money.
Swedteam also makes comfy clothes.
>>
>>656110
>all that talk is just made up by people trying to sell you their clothing.
that's bullshit
if you think layering is only a marketing thing to sell clothes then you can't have much experience with cold weather

>>656089
I think your cycling jacket can work, the most important thing is that it stops rain and wind

then you just need some warm clothes underneath that
>>
>>657237
Layering is common sense. If you needed a clothing company to tell you that you probably don't go out very much.
>>
>>653706
>mfw I wear $8 corduroy trousers I bought at the thrift store innawoods
So fucking comfy, even if people keep telling me I look like their grandad. Idgaf what I look like when I'm /out/
>>
>>656089
Wear a bunch of thinner layers instead of a few thicker layers.
That way you can take off exactly as much as you need to not sweat, compared to having to choose between being cold and sweating your balls off.
>>
>>657231
Condor is cheap and great if you want to cosplay with it.
>>
>>651529
>I've never seen a clothing company turn into a meme faster than this one.

Canada Goose turned into a meme very quickly where I live.
>>
C.E. Schmidt is like Carhart but cheaper, I have had a lot of luck with their products. Redhead from BassPro is very comfortable and durable as well.
For work I have used Grundens, Helly Hansen, and Guy Cotton raingear. Guy Cotton is the best but thr priciest, Helly and Grundens are comparable.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>656908
>patagonia
Some of the most badass stuff, and the easiest way to look like a patchoulykin mudfucking richhippy. Pic related.

I just bought a pair of PrAna pants. My buddy loves his, I'm hoping they're as good as he said they are.

I usually just wear 511's, milsurp boots (saving for better boots), North Face fleece, and Condor Phantom soft shell. Keeps me plenty warm. I need to invest in a truly waterproof poncho for innarain.
>>
File: 1432644994296.jpg (157KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1432644994296.jpg
157KB, 600x600px
>>656920
>fallkraven
>>
>>649398
Carhart jacket, a flannel, and a sweater
>>
File: 22621e.jpg (473KB, 1300x900px) Image search: [Google]
22621e.jpg
473KB, 1300x900px
>>649398
>tfw my jerven fjellduken should come in from finland soon
>>
>>656140
I had a montane pertex shell. Waterproof as advertised but if you read the reviews you'll find they don't breathe well during intense activity.. running, cycling etc.

For hiking they're fine tho.
>>
I'm kinda new to all this, but I've noticed that fjallraven is mentioned a lot here, why is fjallraven held in such high regard?

From what I can tell from a quick glance at their website, it's a bit more fashionable than something from say Arc'teryx, but are they actually THAT much better in terms of quality or are they are just really good at marketing?
>>
File: do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg (54KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg
54KB, 640x439px
>>657837
Why have I not heard of this before? On the wish list it goes!
>>
>>657998
it's secret snownigger invention

btw Helsport also makes fjellduk if you want to peruse alternatives, even though Jerven is also great
>>
>>657837
is it cheaper there? because they have a us retailer

http://www.militaryclothing.com/Jervenbag-HUNTER-MOUNTAIN-Camo.aspx
>>
>>651529
They where designed as a result of back problem skyrocketing among kids because they where carrying books in their messenger bags, that was in like the 70s or 80s and became trendy again among the leftist faggots and hipsters.

>>657989
They make good looking quality comfy gear and also good at marketing.
Regarding quality I have nothing bad to say so far about my old pants. Have heard some complaints regarding quality in recent years though, not sure if they fixed that.
>>
>>658007
It's about the same price. Keep in mind that Jerven offers different models. Fjellduken Original is cheaper for example.
>>
>>649398
I got a full set of Arcteryx's drac, and an atom sv jacket, the Naga hoody, and their wool undershirt and long john silvers. It's good enough for all but the very worst winters here in Canada.

In terms of boots I just have a pair of lowa gtx-8s, I just wear thick socks in the winter because they can get a bit cold
>>
>>651548
This man has good taste. Arcteryx jackets are second to none. I have an Arcteryx cerium down jacket that is the nicest thing i have ever worn. Fjallraven kebs are my go-to outdoor pants.

Outdoor research, black diamond, marmot are others that i frequent.
>>
>>649398
Got me some Swazi. Good NZ gear right there
>>
How does Kathmandu rank for /out/ clothing
>>
TrangoWorld its great too
>>
For non-frostbite tier fall /out/ing (down to 20-30F) shoud i get an arcteryx atom lt or ar? Other?
>>
>>662857
Atom LT, I got one a couple of days ago and I love it. Only been down to 15-17F but it works fine with a shell on.
>>
I usually buy Columbia or Magellan because it's cheap and easily accessible to me
>>
>ctrl-F Haflofs
>nothing
what is wrong with you people?
>>
>>662932
of course i meant HAGLOFS...
>>
>>655934
Yeah, everybody knows that -40* C is much colder than -40* F!
>>
>>656196
As with ALL Filson products!
>>
>>656871
Agreed. Would love an Austrian M65 in flectarn! (up to about $40USD)
>>
>>657394
I believe you, but thier parkas!!!!
>>
>>657824
And Bud Light, you forgot Bud Light.
>>
>>662857
>>662899

I would usually wear their Naga fleece hoody and the Drac jacket when it's around freezing. If it gets colder I'll wear the wool RHO undershirt under the fleece. I'll usually pack the Atom SV in my backpack for when I have to stop, but the softshell and the fleece are usually warm enough for below freezing during moderate activity, basically just keep moving to keep warm.
>>
>>657989
Definately quality stuff, just not up there with the best, even though the pricetag is.
>>
>>663071
I'm not that big of a fan of their urban outdoors aesthetics, I think it's because the hipsters have claimed that style along with beards. Although I hate having a beard when /out/ anyways because it wears out my neck gaiters/balaclavas and irritates the skin with a helmet on.
>>
>>663099
i love having a beard! maybe i have a softer beard but i have more wear and tear from a shaved chin than a hairy one
>>
>>663118
My beard hairs are pretty hard, so a really close shave works better than an actual beard for me. I've never gone beyond a heavy scruff, so maybe a full heavy beard will be better.

You gotta always maintain your beard though, right? And my scruff was super irritating under a helmet strap.
>>
>>663125
i know exactly how you feel. once i got beyond a scruffy adolescent beard i didn't have any trouble with helmet straps or wearing down collars or turtle necks.
>>
This shit always amazes me on this board. Get a decent pair of work boots, some good wool socks, out some jeans on, pair of long johns if its cold as fuck, put a shirt on, a flannel and a carhartt jacket and put a hat on. Wear gloves maybe. If its still fucking cold put a hoodie on. If you're cold then you're a bitch or maybe you should dub around the house instead of trying to go for a three day camping trip in -50 degrees.

For fucks sake it isn't that hard. You're gonna end up spending so much money and time on shit that is cheap and common sense.
>>
Does anyone have fjallraven G1000 pants? I'm looking at a pair to use on backpacking trips, but I'd also like to know if they'd be decent for 14er summit attempts.

How restrictive are they? How hot do they get? Do they breathe, being ~30% cotton and everything.
>>
>>663218
What if it rains?
>>
>>663218
terrible suggestions if the weather is actually bad (wet and cold) and you're out for more than a day
>>
I just use Columbia, TNF or Lippi.

Boots are always Salomon
>>
>>663218
even poorfags can dress well for the outdoors, you don't have to use denim and cotton just because you're on a budget
>>
Sure, if it stays dry the whole time. As soon as it gets a little wet, you're gonna want wools, fleeces, and synthetics. Oh, and a shell.

All that cotton will ruin your day.
>>
>>663218
you can be /out/ and still /fa/, anon.

Plus /out/ has a number of fashion styles, below are some of them:

>Old school for mild /out/ings, like Barbour and Hunters
>Gucci /out/ fashion, like Fjallraven
>Milsurp
>Standard equipment for the masses, like Columbia or Under Armor
>Niche-ish stuff (kinda Gucci, kinda tacticool) that doesn't really belong with the others, like Arc'teryx.
>Tacticool stuff, Condor, 5.11, etc.
>various levels of hobo chic
>>
>>663218
i bet you are such a hardcore mountaineer! you sound like you have so much experience! please do tell us more!
>>
>not being naked all the time when /out/
>>
>>663218

>Work boots happen to have steel toes
>Freeze off feet

>literally FULL COTTON everywhere
>get wet from sweat, rain, snow, ...
>freeze to death

Your layering advice is both spot on and trivially obvious, but the details can mean the difference between comfort, getting a cold and freezing to death.
>>
>>663218
I know a bunch of other anons have said this already, but Goddamn that's a lot of cotton. Do you not sweat under exertion?
>>
I have some milsurp gortex bottoms and top shells, thinsulate lined boots, wool socks and some cheaper snythetic base layers will it be good enough for an area that has gotten down to -9 historically?
>>
>>649402
>boots
>3 sizes too big

just buy insulated boots what a dumbfuck
>>
>>649414
it was 20* at night when i went camping two weeks ago. All I wore was regular pants, wool socks, a long sleeve tee, a sweater (not even wool), and an uninsulated rain/wind jacket.

The only thing I regretted was not having gloves.
>>
>>664605
Wearing several layers of socks has the advantages of not having to dry boot insulation, being able to adjust insulation thickness, not suffering from wearing out insulative lining. It's common practice in scandinavia, and among scandinavian military with boots often intentionally made for the practice. It's not surprising a dumbfuck like you would not know of course.
>>
>>663218
+100000 to this

Yes anon I am sure you are soo retarded that you didn't know you need to wear a raincoat when its raining outside and someone had to tell you. If you were also like me you didn't know that you shouldn't wade in the river in jeans in the winter time! Lucky we have these internet experts to help us out. Also I used to wear just the heaviest outlayer I could find with nothing underneath until one day someone told me if i wore something underneath I could take off the outer layer as I got hot/cold. My mind = blown.
>>
>>664611
>wearing an extra sock means i have to size up 3 sizes

dude stay inside
>>
>>664611
these fucking americans man so fucking dumb. they dont even know that your boot size isn't your fucking shoe size. My expertise with the Scandinavian military has brought me the most success in my outdoor hikes. But considering these idiots aren't even from scandavia they dont even know what real wilderness is like probably sit in the car park in america and eat cheeseburgers and call it camping.
>>
>>664623
How do you not understand that you don't need to buy a boot 3 sizes too large to accommodate one extra pair of socks.

In any case, the United States has more wilderness than all of your shit frostbitten countries put together.
>>
Hey out, i've been into hiking for a few years now. Pretty much saved my life since I was almost 400lbs a few years back, now i'm 280. I owe it all to getting out and hiking.

My only issue is I don't like hiking in the winter because I cant seem to find a way to stay warm. Right now I got jeans and long johns for bottoms, sweat shirt + long johns with a coat on top for my upper body. I've even gone as far to wear a full ski mask while hiking but I still get freezing cold even when its like 30F out.

So since I don't get out for winter my weight lost kinda stops for 5 months of the year. Really wanna change that. So any tips on staying warm?
>>
>>664623
slapp av gutt, ingen gidder å hore på rådet ditt når du er så aggressiv og arrogant
>>
>>664629
I also think three sizes too big is a bit much, I'm not this anon >>664623 but the winter boots I was issued in the norwegian military was just one size too big not three, but it is to fit extra socks and have some air circulation as well.

And of course America has all sorts of wilderness, I think he just wanted to point out that the military actually is cold weather survival experts and you can learn a lot from them.
>>
>>664954
Synthetic and wool stuff. Don't use cotton. If you're hiking you start to sweat and your clothes get wet. Then you're cold.
With wool, it retains its warming property even when wet, and synthetic fabrics dry fast.

Essentially, you want 3 layers:
wicking underwear (wool or synthetic - the latter starts to smell fast, but is cheaper)
insulation layer (fleece/wool)
Weather protection (protection from wind and rain/snow - depending on the exact weather and activity softshell, GoreText hardshell, etc)
>>
File: If I had the money.png (2MB, 1347x2327px) Image search: [Google]
If I had the money.png
2MB, 1347x2327px
This is what I would wear if I wasn't a poorfag
>>
How do y'all shit in the woods when it's cold? I don't mind hiking sleeping and everything else but when it's time to let my nuts hang bare ass and shit in the woods when it's freezing out man I just dunno.
>>
>>664999
I only do day trips when It's cold as fuck so I wouldn't know. I can't imagine doing actually winter camping, I get cold fast when my activity level drops.
>>
>>664999
lol just do it anyway, of course it's not very comfy so you do it as quickly and efficiently as you can
>>
>>664963
Depends on the boots, intended use and if they have cushioning or not. I read that the Norwegian army boots are generous in size as it's expected to use dubble socks.
Boots should be big enough so you wiggle your toes and don't hit your nails in the front when walking down hill.
One also have to take into account that feet swell during the day. If using dubble or trippel socks it important especially during winter that that the boots aren't too tight as it will hinder blood flow and compress the air in the socks.

In short, rather a bit room left than too tight as too small boots is hell to walk in.
>>
>>657812
The prAna zion stretch pants are literally the most comfortable piece of clothing I own. They could be pajamas
>>
>>664629
>the United States has more wilderness than all of your shit frostbitten countries put together.

dispersed splotches that you aren't allowed to camp in
>>
How is the sizing on fjallraven? I want to buy a sweater from them but I'm inbetween sizes and if they run small I'll probably size up.
>>
>>664999
Drop it fast, obviously.

Also, protip for those with an outhouse, Styrofoam seat covers. Never suffer the indignity of your ass frozen to the seat again.
>>
>>664999
I live shitting in the woods when it's cold. By sack stays close to my body, so I don't have to worry about getting shit on it like I do in the summer.

Also, cold air across your taint is a great feeling
>>
File: IMAG0291.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0291.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
>>651548
Arcteryx is pretty good, imo. Usually have a thin layer on body that will dry off sweat and work as a warming layer, then a jacket over that. Also carry a warm sweater that I can put on over the first layer when I become stationary.
>>
How about Arktis? Any user?
>>
>>666666
bump and checked
>>
File: gorka.jpg (183KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
gorka.jpg
183KB, 1000x750px
been thinking abour Gorka. how is it? the full set looks pretty damn tempting

how is it?
>>
>>666618
seen a lot of people use it, they seem to be happy with it. Can't speak from experience tho, havent used it myself, but would like to try it out.
>>
>>666618
It's overprized slav-tactical cotton duck. If that's what you want, sure go for it.
>>
>>666618
If you find one forn $80, they're a good deal. If you don't mind looking like an air softer they're actually really good, they're rain resistant but a poncho or larger rain jacket should be brought as well if expecting rain. There's a reason those Slavs are still using the same design for 40 years. Of course, Gore-tex is superior, but a full suit of Gore-tex might run you a bit more.
>>
>>664623
>Scandinavian Military
You say that like it's some sort of achievement. I joke of course, your system works for you. But you also have to remember that most militaries aren't exactly giving you top of the line stuff.

The thing about boot size as well, is that in the US system boots are about 1 size larger than normal shoes. For work boots, that would be somewhat detrimental. For rucking in the snow, that allows you to wear either a liner or extra socks.

I think the argument above is more of a miscommunication rather than a disagreement.
>>
>>667152
The part with the 3 sizes should be taken with caution. Wearing extra socks is not equivalent to having biggger feet in terms of fit. (Case in point, I have shoes that are too big, but cannot be worn with double socks because of the height.)
That's why there are boots like lundhags that are made especially to be worn with several socks and of course you try them on first with the appropriate number of socks, like you should any boots.
>>
What kind pants i should choose for more then 2 week hiking/camping? Jeans would work? Also its not going to be much cold, around 10 to 20C.
>>
>>667235
Just regular cargo pants should work. I don't know why people choose jeans as their default casual /out/ pants, cargo pants are roomier so you'll get a better range of motion.
>>
File: 1396653598082.jpg (164KB, 600x793px) Image search: [Google]
1396653598082.jpg
164KB, 600x793px
>>667235
a NYCO or poly-cotton blend, 5.11's, fjallraven or TAD if you want to splurge. I would not go with jeans for 2 weeks plus innnawoods, they take forever to dry
>>
File: P2014036.jpg (358KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
P2014036.jpg
358KB, 1200x900px
>>666567

have americans zero grasp on how to behave outdoors?
seriously what gives
>>
>>667293
do you always have to make it into a murrica vs scandi thing?
it's so awkward

t. scandi
>>
>>667303
yeah it's insecure as fuck
>>
>>667323
where was a "swede" who posted in /soc/ a lot at one time and i like him a LOT more
>>
>>667288
gay as fuck
>>
>>667293
Most murricans live on the coast, in the southern part of the country, and don't know how to behave in bad weather.
Thus why it's such a big deal when Florida, or Texas, or Arkansas get snow/ice storms.

Us northerners know how to behave in cold, since we're descended from the Scandinavians who weren't afraid to settle a new country, unlike your ancestors who were a bunch of pussies and were afraid to leave the home country, thus leading to cuckdinavia.
>>
>>666567
>$300 pants with knee pads
>camo
wow you must be such oper8tor
>>
>>667374
I never understood the point of knee pads on the outside for /out/ pants. I have arcteryx's drac pants in grey that has interior kneecap pockets, which is actually really handy when skiing.
>>
>>667371
Well, that was the cringiest thing I've read today.
>>
>>666567
Why the multicam m8.
>>
I just buy Outdoor Life stuff at Sears (it's a store brand I think). I don't need no fantsy pants bullshit. This stuff is good quality and cumpfy and not very expensive.
>>
>>667371
lol learn some history man
the people that left scandinavia were looking for a better (easier) life because jobs in scandinavia paid less, it was just harder in general and very tough times that made them leave.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 612x372px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 612x372px
Kuiu is unmatched when it comes to warm waterproof gear. Great layering systems with zippers to thermoregulate when you're exerting yourself.
>>
>>649398
Military surplus my friend, cheap, warm, reliable clothing with none of the brand name inflation that the fashion cabal puts on their shit they get straight from an Indian sweatshop.
>>
>>667749
>Spotted the poor friend.

It's ok to say that you can't afford the right gear for the job, m8
>>
Just got back from an overnight in -20°C. That trip brought to you by Icebreaker, Lundhags, 10 Peaks, and ArcTeryx, with bags from Sea to Summit and Osprey, featuring overnight warmth from Exped and Feathered Friends.

Most purchased at the nearby Naturkompaniet and Alewalds, plus REI while in the States, and the rest online.

Oh, and some cashmere layers from Varvatos, no joke. Sometimes you gotta look /fa/ while /out/.
>>
>>662952
Just want you to know: I get it.
>>
>>667293
Wuht is jacket in this image

Also whut is fuzzy under layer
>>
>>662952
I know those degrees are the same, but he didn't write -40 F.
He wrote 30-40 F
>>
>>667371
>Us northerners know how to behave in cold, since we're descended from the Scandinavians who weren't afraid to settle a new country, unlike your ancestors who were a bunch of pussies

Except it was pretty much the opposite. The emigrants were impoverished farmers who weren't tough enough to farm the rougher climate and worse soil.

This is not really uncommon knowledge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2tdBKFKOrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2idVI73ais
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTfZh1-Q2Y

Also you aren't really "descended" from Scandinavians since you are now mixed with various negroid races. I've had Americans with brown eyes and black hair come up to me and claim Swedish heritage.
>>
>>668528
http://www.fjallraven.se/sarek-winter-jacket

fur linen zips off
>>
>>668541
I'm sure you'll have plenty of brown-eyed blach haired children running around Sweden in about 3 years, Gustav.

Or should I say Ahmed? BOHICA.
>>
File: Aisha_Clan_Clan__3_by_Trudetski.png (177KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aisha_Clan_Clan__3_by_Trudetski.png
177KB, 1024x768px
>>668542
>$600

It's not like I wanted it or anything....B-baka..
>>
>>668543
And in another 20 years, there might be as many as the USA has.
>>
>>668544
>600

which is very reasonable for a pretty high-end jacket desu

you can find them cheaper in outlet stores as well
>>
>>668560
But americhan, i'm Australian. Dollar conversions hurt me.
I wish we had stores that sold Fjallraven stuff, but here it seems to be all sporty outdoor clothes like Mont and The North face rather than cozy things for camping.
>>
>>668544
Oi m8, you gotta convert everything to USD here.
-Canuck
>>
>>668774
I guess that way everything sounds cheaper
>>
>>668560
>That much money for materials that probably cost 1/50th the that much IF even that, because it's brand name
>Reasonable
No.
>>
>>668871
Nah, it's just because most people here are Americans. I also just got used to doing it on /k/.
>>
>>656089
Next to skin: wicking (merino or synthetics)
Mid layer: Warmth (fleece/wool)
Outer layer: Weatherproof (goretex or breathable synthetic hard/soft shell)
That's it really. Buy decent stuff and adjust based on your comfort.
>>
File: Chekkisak.jpg (118KB, 410x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chekkisak.jpg
118KB, 410x900px
Are these things worth the shekels
>>
>>668572
I think Nz has a brand called Swazi. Check them out, they have some cozy shit.
>>
>>669344
People love them here in Norway but it could be biased opinions (just like everyone loves the sami knife, for sentimental value). I have not heard many negative things about it except that it really is air and water tight so you gotta be careful not to sweat inside and get wet on the inside. But there are several models available, with varying degree of insulation. The original has no insulation.
>>
>>669344

This is what I imagine the stillsuits from Dune to look like
>>
>>669396
>>669344
That looks comfy as fuck. I want one.
>>
>>669344
I want one, but they are so expensive for basically just being a insulated bag with sleeves. Almost seems like a infomercial product, like the snuggie or something.
>>
>>669729
It's a bit more useful than a snuggie.
>>
>>666567
Diggin the setup
>>
>>669785
>not snuggling in an oversized artillery scrape with your platoon
What are you, gay or something?
>>
Anyone here have any experience for british military airtech tshirts for summer /out/doors?
>>
File: bzrwd3U.png (36KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
bzrwd3U.png
36KB, 288x288px
>>667390
>>
>>670136
/thread.
It's like faggy yurocucks can't even Esprit de Corps
>>
>>670333
On average, European countries have more active/inactive military personel pr. capita than the US. Just sayin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_military_and_paramilitary_personnel
>>
>>670622
autism
>>
>>670622
Funny, for a europoor/europoor sympathizer, you obviously don't know any French. Otherwise you'd know that your reply has exactly jack fucking shit to do with unit morale.

Not like you would know, since you're all a bunch of conscripted fucks, instead of a professional Military.
>>
>>670674
he's a europoor enabler is what he is >:|
>>
>>670674
>everyone is conscripted
>conscripts don't have esprit de corps
all these wrong assumptions
>>
File: 21275074ff6aa0ea0.jpg (44KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
21275074ff6aa0ea0.jpg
44KB, 500x450px
>>670674
>>
>>670792
Silly picture/attitude

Its a problem with your government, not peoples career choices.
>>
File: for hälvede.jpg (14KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
for hälvede.jpg
14KB, 160x160px
>>670656
>>670674
Get corrected and somehow be this assmad about it. I'm /out/
>>
>>667374
having at least one knee pad would be great

dropping a knee into wet or frozen ground sucks a lot
>>
>>671041
Why not internal knee pads so you don't look as autistic?
>>
Got to be honest LL Bean all fucking day.

They have gear rated to -40 for a relatively decent price. And that warranty is awesome.
>>
>>671113
I really want a pair, but I saw that you gotta wait 5 month a for them...
>>
fuck, Buffalo Special 6 sounds great, but 120 bongs? That's too much for europoor such as myself. Any cheaper substitute?
>>
Got a relative that works for Columbia at their corporate headquarters in Beaverton, like she's literally Gert Boyle's assistant.

She hooks me up with the employee discount, which is fucking absurd BTW if you go to their employee store where everything is marked down anyway. Got a 120 dollar jacket for 30 bucks.

Nearly everything I own is Columbia except for my Darn Toughs, nothing they have comes close.
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.