[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ I'm doing some survival camping and wanted to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

Hey /out/ I'm doing some survival camping and wanted to try to make it gucci as possible.

We'll be doing lean-tos, no tents. This will be in the northern prairies probably around -20 to -30C. I'm thinking of doing a lean-to with a raised bed if time allows and a rakovalkea beside it. I'll have the afternoon to build it. Any suggestions to make it comfy and warm?
>>
>>455678
enjoy dying in your sleep
>>
>>455685
YES.

-30C
need an astronaut suit
>>
>>455678
niqa you retarded.
>>
>>455678
>Any suggestions to make it comfy and warm?
stay at home
>>
>>455685
>>455716
>>455736
>>455742
OP is probably Canadian or Russian

Sissy Americans need not apply
>>
go to a thrift store
buy like 10 blankets
buy a tarp
roll your self up in the 10 blankets and then the tarp ON TOP of the other blankets
you will be ok
>>
>>455757
In other words, OP gon die
>>
>>455678
In super cold weather sleeping off the ground is pretty essential. If you are kicking it oldschool in those temperatures at a minimum I would want a thick layer of pine branches and like two blankets under me.

If you have never done winter camping like this before, be prepared to have a backup plan in case you shit fails, or you will die.

If your camp area gets any wind make sure you orient your shelter accordingly, and ideally build enough cover so you don't have shitloads of snow blowing on you all night.
>>
>>455678
what local materials are you going to use to make clothes and shoes for yourself
how are you going to do it in an afternoon
>>
>>455678
You should build the shelter close to a big rock and put your fire or your rakovalkea right next to the rock so it will reflect heat back towards where you are sleeping. If you can't find a big rock (you probably will) you could build a heat reflector with some logs.
Other than that your plan sounds just fine.
>>
>>455781

>Make Clothes
>Make Shoes
>Be gone only a month

Son, are you some kind of retard?
>>
>>455810
>claiming to be survival camping
>wearing clothes at the outset
hehe enjoy your glamping trip
>>
>>455770
This, is not like people who survived in those climates just appeared in them one day and survived with the sit around them, they had communities and supplies. Supplies that were past down to like furs and skins, they spent their whole lives gathering more supplies to survive and to teach their kids. You really can't just go out and rough it and hope you make it. No one does that and no one did. If your going to go demonstrate how tough you are, even if you are well trained and knowledgeable and experienced a good portion comes down to luck.
>>
>>455770
>blankets
I could be wrong since I dont use blankets that much but I feel like that fabric will be shit when its wet and that it wont be as easy to remove snow from these blankets lite it is with a normal foam sleeping mat or something like that.
>>
File: 809115_5275974.jpg (79KB, 800x690px) Image search: [Google]
809115_5275974.jpg
79KB, 800x690px
>>455746
>Canadian or Russian
>Sissy Americans
>doesn't mention the entire rest of the world that is south of canada or russia
your jealousy of americas greatness is showing.
>>
File: MericaStache.jpg (9KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
MericaStache.jpg
9KB, 224x225px
>>455746
oh yeah, also when i was a kid my boyscout troop did some winter camping. we made our own shelters and it was -20F that trip. mainefag btw.
>>
File: morssupersheltercircle.jpg (122KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
morssupersheltercircle.jpg
122KB, 960x720px
Build Mors Super Shelters. Basically, a lean-to with a mylar blanket a fixed to the inside of the lean to, a raised bed or you bedding of choice, then a plastic clear tarp that hangs over the entrance of the lean-to. Outside then is your fire, and I recommend heat reflectors aiming towards the lean-to. That will keep you toasty.

I advise you to still bring your sleeping bag, maybe a wool blanket, etc.
>>
File: lean-toheatreflectors.jpg (86KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
lean-toheatreflectors.jpg
86KB, 600x392px
>>455972
The plastic tarp will create a greenhouse effect, warming your shelter, and the mylar blanket reflects your heat from the back of your shelter. The heat reflectors... reflect heat back towards your shelter and also act as protection from the wind.
>>
>>455678
Get a Mora.
>>
File: Benreacton2.jpg (9KB, 230x355px) Image search: [Google]
Benreacton2.jpg
9KB, 230x355px
>>455974
>>
File: FuckYourShit.webm (3MB, 1280x720px)
FuckYourShit.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>455974
fucking morafags
>>
>>455973
That seems like a fairly compact set up for a fire, wouldn't there be risk of the thermal walls catching fire?
>>
>>455826
Furs, you need real fur, nothing is better than real fur. The first thing you need to do is go kill a bear and skin it, toss it on the tanning rack (protip: just use your leantoo frame) and prepare it by pissing on it and rubbing some wood ashes all over the non fur side.
>>
>>455842
Did you make your shelters from the used condoms left over from your leader ass fucking you?
>>
>>456118
No, because boyscouts go bareback you little bitch.
>>
>>456026
This is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>456124
It's better with sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUlfPJScXe4
>>
File: 46198311.jpg (22KB, 325x382px) Image search: [Google]
46198311.jpg
22KB, 325x382px
>>456026
>>456126
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Holy fuk I can't stop laughing at it
>>
>>456118
the BSA is a good christian organization. they do their best to keep the fags out.
>>
>>456344
Too bad it is pedos that are the problem and not faggots
>>
>>456354
faggots who also happen to be pedos.
>>
>>456481
this is accurate.
>>
File: itsgoretex.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
itsgoretex.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>455678
you have to wear this OP, it's Gore-Tex!
>>
File: 1420463111586.gif (2MB, 305x380px) Image search: [Google]
1420463111586.gif
2MB, 305x380px
>>455974
No
>>
>>455820
Most people would be wearing clothes already if they found themselves in a survival situation.
>>
File: Genesis.png (379KB, 592x514px) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.png
379KB, 592x514px
>>455820
>not breaking your legs beforehand
>not farting in your own face while you do it
>>
>>456522
>not purposely crashing a small Cessna plane into the remote wilderness of Alaska above the arctic circle to simulate a perfect survival scenario
>Not seriously injuring your spine while blowing out a kneecap and severing off one of your arms
>Not puncturing and collapsing at least one of your lungs on impact
>not leaving the wreckage with nothing more than a blanket draped over your nude body as you wonder into the wilderness ready to test your skills

>>
>>455842
Maine: basically Canada
>>
File: doubleScream.jpg (29KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
doubleScream.jpg
29KB, 500x508px
>>456525
>>
>>456026

Oh god the therapy he's going to have to do
>>
>>456026

Top fucking kek.

>get out
>ogga booga

>get ass kicked by furries

Never gets old.
>>
>>455820
>hehe
Faggot
>>
>>455678
nigga you need a snow shelter to be comfortable in those temps...

http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/documents/FieldManual-Chapt11SnowShelters.pdf
>>
>>455678
If you need to ask, then you don't know, and you'll probably die.
>>
File: DebrisHut.jpg (35KB, 362x404px) Image search: [Google]
DebrisHut.jpg
35KB, 362x404px
>>456528
pretty much. i also have a +5 cold perk. every little bit helps.
>>455678
i build a shelter like this pic. i would lean the backbone up against a spruce tree. preferably one with lots of branches down low. they can be broken and folded down to make a spot to put your gear that is somewhat protected. make the shelter just big enough to lay down in. i have a lot of spruce and fir boughs handy in maine so i use those. lay down a very thick base layer on the ground, and have a sleeping pad on top of that. i put enough boughs on the shelter so snow cant get through. shovel a bunch of snow on top. the door opening i close up a bit . put boughs and snow to close off one side of the entrance leaning up against the tree. i try to make a bit of a windbreak for the opening. i then use some more boughs as a door. bring a good sleeping bag. i would also bring a wool blanket to wrap up in inside the sleeping bag.
>>
>>456525
>bringing a blanket
>>
>>455678
what is the name of this type of fire?
>>
>>457303
rakovalkea, it's in OP
aka a finnish gap fire
>>
>>457307
ah thanks this is getting tried tomorrow
>>
>>457303
It commonly called "A huge waste of resources". But what do I know...I'm American. I build smaller fires that use a fraction of the resources as that one and provide lots more directed heat for a longer period of time. Guess that means I'm a faggot. If you have that fire burn for an hour in your minds eye and see it fall apart you'll probably agree.
>>
>>457472
>I build smaller fires that use a fraction of the resources as that one and provide lots more directed heat for a longer period of time
any tips? I'm not real attached to this rakovalkea thing, personally
>>
>>455678
>a raised bed if time allows

wait what? so, if time doesn't "allow" you'll just lay down on the ground and die?
>>
>>457472
these are meant for larger groups of people. Not 1 or 2.
>>
>>457506
Indian fire hole or swedish firelog
>>
>>457571
how do you use either of those to heat your sleeping body? the rakovalkea has the advantage of directing high heat right into you. or would you just sleep over a bed of coals or something, which doesn't seem like it works in the snow
>>
>>455678
Most bushcraft shelter builders will tell you to start your shelter with a raised bed. That's the FIRST thing you do. The walls and fire shield come next.
>>
File: 1385952688581.jpg (27KB, 388x384px) Image search: [Google]
1385952688581.jpg
27KB, 388x384px
>>457472
>huurrr i use a more efficient fire, i'm such a good environmentalist. i still cry a little when i burn wood though.
i like felling a large birch (burns good green. also ash but birch tends to be more common in my area) and using it for this type of fire. i cut it in half and use the smaller upper half for the top of the fire. idgaf if i'm with a large group or solo. i'll use a whole god damned tree for a campfire for 1 night.
>>
how are the small logs supporting the two big logs on fire not completely on fire themselves? How would those small logs hold those big logs up? You'd think they'd be burned up in no time?
>>
>>456126
Those laughs... holy shit, those laughs.

What the fuck, Russia.
>>
>>456049
You can also buy an excellent 4sheep sheepskin "rug" that will keep you warm as the dickens off amazon for like 200 bucks. Its great roughing it camping and doesn't require you to murder a bear.
>>
>>455746
I'm american and I slept under my canoe in my backyard a few nights ago. we have ~2 feet of snow and it was <0 out. A tarp, a thick wool blanket under me, and my -10 degree bag was plenty for me.
>>
>>457657
>huurrr i use a whole tree i don't give a fuck, i'm such a badass
>>
>>455746
>only America isn't a frozen wasteland of nothingness

>everyone is american until proven otherwise

Keep flexing that complex

>he lives someplace cold so he cant possibly freeze to death

>no place cold exists in the united states

>what is alaska

On top of having a complex you're also a massive retard.
>>
>>458126
I am going to use 3, just to spite you. Care to make it more little bitch?
>>
>>457657
3/10
>>
>>456525
>>456522
>>455820
first time on /out/ i am dying holy shit.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.