[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Little nuggets of outdoor lore that others may or may not know.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 24

File: bald-eagle.jpg (14KB, 600x389px) Image search: [Google]
bald-eagle.jpg
14KB, 600x389px
Little nuggets of outdoor lore that others may or may not know.

>The moss that grows off trees makes great tinder
>Carry a lighter. Making fire like a caveman may be cool, but fire on demand may save your life
>When hunting, avoid walking over hills. Even animals that aren't terribly visual will notice you
>Birds are basically solar powered, if you want to catch them, climbing the tree at night is your best bet
>Pretty fucking obvious, but learn the area you will be staying in. Poisonous animals, edible plants, seasonal hazards, predators and how to avoid them.
>>
Wash your hands before you do masturbating, dont want them woods AIDs infecting your dick.
>>
In many cases, predators are easier to trick/trap than tasty prey animals. They arent used to being preyed upon and their 'attack and eat that' attitude makes them more predictable, easier to trap or kill.
>>
always make sure your campfire is completely extinguished before leaving
>>
Salt and peanut butter is bait for everything except fish
>>
>>348955
Should you dry the moss first? (and if so, how?)

Most moss I've come across has been slightly damp, and havent ever needed to try this
>>
> shit in a river means no need for wiping, as long as anus is under water
> always shit downstream of camp
>>
>>348955
When filling a container from a moving stream/river, point the container downstream rather than up.
Any floating debris will be washed around the opening rather than into it.
>>
>>348982
This is terrible advice. What's downstream from your camp is upstream from someone else.
>>
>>348981
I always find it dry, but your area is probably more humid. No idea how to to dry it other than leaving it out to dry, which is how you find it.
>>
>>348998
I think there is a miscommunication on moss types. there is that weird grey green moss that grows on some cedars and stuff. and the is the squishy greenstuff that will grow at the foot of trees
>>
>>348955
I had a dream being out in the wild looking at lions and getting bitten my a snake who i had to play a card game to get the antidote what does this mean?
>>
>>349031
>weird grey green moss that grows on some cedars and stuff.
You mean lichen?
>>
the faster, the higher (elevation) and the further away from pastures a stream is, the cleaner it is.
>>
If you find moss on only one side of a tree, it's most likely north.
>>
>>348990
> implying I give a fuck about anybody else
And theres nothing you can do about it #yolo
>>
Bring a pack of chicken stock cubes with your food. They improve the taste of almost all gathered foods, and make many unpalatable greens into delicious soup/vegetable stew.
>>
>>348990
Not my problem. Fuck 'em.
>>
>>349077
>>349079
Kill yourself.
>>
>>349085
I call it the "dip 'n dump"
>>
snow is the best toilet paper
even compared to toilet paper
i have a sno cone machine in my restroom for this purpose
>>
>Bring moleskin, or some similar blister bandages with your first aid kit. Makes any blisters you get much less shitty.
>Run a thin cord inside the roof of your tent (most tents have spots to do this). Lets you hang shit to dry/store and adds almost no weight.
>>
>>349041
yes
>>
only you can prevent forest fires
>>
>>349077
Why you telling the other anon his oil light's on? Is this some kind of mental internet kung fu shit?
>>
>>349088
i hope you get Ebola faggot
>>
>>349095
If I wanted my asscrack to freeze I wouldn't wear pants.
>>
>>349104
Moleskin and molefoam are great for when there's a blister, but prevention is best with the application of duct tape to the hot spot so that a blister never even develops.
>>
Bump for immense interest
>>
>>349254
I hope you're washing your face downstream and end up mushing my soft brown faeces all over your face.

> also you go blind
>>
>>349331
Fortunately for all the people who aren't cunts, you're probably not the only revolting little cocksucker who's out there so you could equally end up washing your face in shit.
We'll just have to take that as consolation.
>>
Someone said birds can be caught by climbing trees at night. Alternatively, if you arent much of a climber...

> plant a bed of stakes in the ground, unsharpened sticks will do, should be about half a foot apart
> should look like a miniature forest
> spread your bait amongst the sticks (seeds, nuts, gathered berries or worm pieces, whatever you have)
> hide in nearby bushes
> wait for birds, ideally a flock
> emerge and attack with many many rocks
> the bed of stakes pre vents wings being spread to fly, keeping them on the ground for precious rock pelting seconds
> throw as many rocks as possible
> collect any dead or injured birds, rebait if necssary, adjust stakes if necessary
> repeat until meal achieved
>>
>>349427
> implying I use the river for anything other than shitting
Stay mad bro. Also learn Braille now, it'll be easier whilst you have eyes
>>
>>349432
>trolling this hard in /out/ of all places
just wow
>>
>>349433
> arguing and getting mad on an anonymous internet forum

Such wow
>>
a pack of 5 bic lighter cost 5$, will start 5*1000=5000 fires, will not break or malfunction and weight 50g.

There is no point having anything else to start a fire.
>>
>>349434
I'm not the one arguing with him and not mad. Just amazed at the effort he's putting into trolling.
>>
>>348982
Putting your naked, open asshole in a river is the best way to get diarrhea or worse.
>>
>>349043
Streams just under melting ice contain microscopic parts of rock and will fuck your digestive system.

This kind of stream usually go to a small mountain lake. Due to the lack of other lifeforms, this water contain a huge quantity of bacteria.

After the lake, there is another stream. The water will be charged in oxygen and this kill the bacterias. This is the best place to get water.
>>
>>349258
This.

Medical tape + talc for baby and you will never know what a blister is.
>>
File: deadmau5.jpg (159KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
deadmau5.jpg
159KB, 1080x810px
If you've scraped your leg, you can use TP or paper towel to give yourself a harder scab to protect the wound. Once the bleeding's stopped and it's oozing the yellow stuff, put the TP on the wound and let it soak it up. Leave the wet TP on and let it dry.

Also, if you don't have a maul to split wood, but you don't want to get your hatchet (if you have one) stuck, carve a few hardwood wedges and use a big stick or a rock as a mallet. Use the hatchet to start a crack and the wedges will go in fine. Although you won't need to often, you can also use wedges to free a stuck tool.

Dryer lint makes for a great firestarter even in small amounts since it can catch from sparks fairly easily.
>>
>>349441
I thought shit-in-the-river guy already derailed the thread, but a classic /out/ bic vs zippo argument could be even worse.
>>
>>349443
Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8
>>
>>349462
you know when you can tell its the same butthurt guy whinging after like 5 posts? I can tell youre that guy. Shit in the river was a valid, yet gross and unethical inawoods technique. What derailed the thread was boy scout outers complaining about what this does for other campers, seemingly forgetting that people who shit in the river dont give a fuck about other campers.
Tl; dr: your moral faggot persistance is feeding the trolls. Its time to stop posting son.

I for one will not make a useless post, and actually include thread relevant advice.

> dont discard the guts and entrails of your kills, unless you live in an area with large predators
> pile the guts and offal away from camp and create your own maggot farm
> you cant eat rotten meat, but you can eat the grubs that feed on it, or use them as bait
>>
>>349476
>Shit in the river was a valid, yet gross and unethical inawoods technique.
>forgetting that people who shit in the river dont give a fuck about other campers.

Maybe we're just not all as big assholes as you are? The thought of going around purposefully fucking up the cleanliness of the river is pretty childish really.
>>
>>349441

Even if the lighter is out of gas, bics come with huge flints which are still capable of lighting fires.
>>
>>349489
Pic or it didn't happened.

While I am pro bic, I doubt that you can light anything else than gas. Since it will take years before it run out of gas, and since you can carry a large pack with low weight penalty, this is not an issue anyway.

Pic related, it happen 100 time a day around the river. Deal with it.
You are made of dinosaur shit, deal with it too.
>>
If I saw a guy shitting in the river, I'd be tempted to jump in there and drown the little shit.
>>
>>349494
Not that guy, but I don't think you can have used bics all that much if you think they last for years. I just use them for starting fires/lighting candles and shit and usually need a new one every couple of months. Even still though, they're so cheap there's almost no reason not to toss 3 or 4 in your sack on any journey.

As for lighting with just the sparks, I haven't started a full fire that way, but have used them to set little pieces of paper on fire when bored with a used lighter. So it's at least possible.
>>
>>349504

Pop the guard off them and shower sparks on your tinder. Works well enough and beats rubbing sticks.
>>
>>349494
Even still. Try telling anyone into hiking and camping face to face that you shit directly in the river just cause and see their reaction. You know it's a shitty thing to do, so stop acting as if it makes you mr cool bro.
>>
>>349487
> asshole
> implying I shit in the river

Son, stop. Seriously. Remember this is an anonymous board and there is nothing to be gained. You can stop and walk away, no one IRL need ever know. Its time to walk away son.

> many trees produce edible sap, suxh as birch maple and pine
> bore your hole on the trunk, angled upwards and just below a limb for maximum harvest
>>
>>349523
I'm not going anywhere. But any time anyone promotes shitting in a river, be it the original guy or you I'm going to point out that it's pointless and disgusting. This is supposed to be a thread of "little nuggets of outdoor lore that others may or may not know" let's just try and keep it civil and on topic.
>>
>>349430
Holy shit, that's brilliant.
>>
>>349529

Of your many, many samefagging replies, not one has contained advice or lore.
Instead you have spent your time bitching about a single anonymous posters unethical practices. PROTIP: you're making no difference to him doing that.
Its like you dont get the internet at all. Dont feed the trolls.

>humans produce natural oils in their hair
>rubbing the male joint of a fishing rod against your temple is a good way to ease it into the female joint easier
> use your greasy scalp to lubricate all kinds of things

Not sure if human oil can protect metal or be used for non lubricating purposes
>>
>>349550
Caveman hunting technique. I saw an illustrated picture, I've surmised how it works myself. Im guessing its handfuls of small rocks, scattered shotgun style for maximum effectiveness
>>
>>349552
>349487 was my first post here.

But since you like those kinds of posts, here's my sweet tip then. Never take your trash out of the woods with you. It will only weigh you down and fuck what other campers think.
>>
>>349565
> implying I condone shitting in a river
> giving bad advice and becoming the asshole you claim to be against

At this point I assume you are the troll, and its time to stop feeding you.

>crayons can be used as an emergency candle
> shaving a crayon into tinder makes better tinder
> mash up apples with crayons for squirrel bait, this stuff is like squirrel crack
>>
>>349489
This x1000.

Every time my bic dies I pop the top off and save the flint. I have a flashlight on one of my multitools that doesn't work - I store all the flint pieces inside of it.
>>
>>349582
How do you raise a spark from the little pieces of ferrocerium left in broken lighters?
>>
>>349450
most of that is right but
>oxygen and this kill the bacterias
naaah doesn't work, most of the dangerous bacteria have aerobic respiration, meaning they need oxygen
>>
>>349529
How is it useless advice? It comes out clean every time.
>>
One of my favorite threads
>>
>>349032
you want to fuck your mother
>>
For trapping fish, its easy to set lines and weave baskets, but if the water is small and moving, its easier to stake it across a knee deep point and make a latticework dam. This holds all fish moving upstream at that point. A further mobile latticework can be constructed and moved upstream to herd fish into a greater density for easier catching.
>>
>>349504
You light like 5 or 10 cigarette every day, plus the candles.
What you need to light a cigarette is what you need to light a fire. My 1000 fire is a good guess. 5 time a pair of month is close to a full year.

>>349510
I am this anon: >>349444

Another advice: when collecting water, use a transparent bottle. I once saw like 10 leeches smaller than a cm.
>>
>>348982
troll post. i shit in rivers all the time when camping, and there's no way you'll get your asshole totally clean without a twig or small branch to prrovide a scraping action. it's the combination of the scraping+flowing water that gets it squeaky clean

>>349430
great idea.

>>349441
agreed
>>
>>349444

You so wouldn't get diarrhea that way. The immune system of your rectum and colon can take care of some serious shit...literally.
It's just bs to think that some water gently flowing around your butt would get you sick. Ever taken a swim in a river or a lake before?
>>
>>349916
Just stop. This isn't even fucking something that should be argued
>>
>>349454
corn starch, not talc.
>>
>>349430
combine with net for maximum effectiveness
>>
>>348955
If you don't like disturbing the moss on trees, as their growth rate can be slow, an alternative in an area with a lot of spruces would be making a ball of their dead bottom twigs.
>>
>>349444
So if you fart in a lake you can get sick too? Please stop your bullshit.
>>
You both need your fucking heads banging together.

Just fucking stop.
>>
>the human head and shoulders is a very easily recognised silhouette
> break up the outline with foliage or netting when hunting
>>
You can hunt at night with just a torch. If you have an intense beam, it can freeze an animal in its tracks. You can walk right up to a rabbit and club it with a bright enough lamp. The lamp can freeze deer long enough to shoot.
I recommend a cheap cree, make sure its zoomable and as high a lumen output as you can find.
>>
File: poison ivy.jpg (33KB, 416x462px) Image search: [Google]
poison ivy.jpg
33KB, 416x462px
Leaves of three, make some tea
>>
>>350358

> leaves filename unchanged, most likely deranged
>>
>follow advice from this thread
>die within 30 seconds of being outdoors
>>
I read this in another thread, but it seems honeybee stings on a tickbite will prevent lyme disease. The article linked simply said bee venom, though anon specified honeybee. This may work for other types of bee
>>
>>350381
So now this thread has moved from shitting in a river to some he said she said garbage? Please make quality posts that contribute to the thread fuckface.
>>
Slingshots > Bows
>>
>>350383

You seem upset friend. Did you perhaps get a stick jammed up your ass last time you were innawoods? Little bit of butthole lovin' in private in the great outdoors? Does it hurt? I suggest going to the doctor and getting it removed, pain makes you cranky friend.
With luck you can be better in a matter of weeks and you can return to fulfilling your homoerotic needs. But only with lube and safe toys friend! Lol!
Yours in friendship, friend.
>>
File: Loves-Kitchen-10-007.jpg (5KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Loves-Kitchen-10-007.jpg
5KB, 460x276px
>>349476
The nastiness of your maggot farm suggestion is mind blowing
>>
>>350392
My nigga. Never go innawoods without my slingshot.
>>
>>350403
Even as a fishing bait source? Or a bird trap bait source. Grubs=drugs in the animal kingdom
>>
>>350408
grubs and maggots are totally different.
>>
>>350358
>>350361
This shit killed me.

>Make noise as you walk/hike to scare off predators
>Keep a bearing by keeping the sun on one side of your head(obviously flipping sides mid-day or so)
>Don't be afraid to drink water from a river, stream, or lake in NA
>Avoid giardia by washing hands, dishes, and utensils with soap and water before and after use
>>
>>350410
they're both fucking larvae. How would you know , did you taste them?
>>
>>350594
Yeah and ones full of rotting meat.
Food poisoning could be a death sentence in a survival situation
>>
>>349550
I would look into rigging a woven grass net to toss over the whole shebang. Or even your tarp or what have you. Or even flailing the fuck out of it with a bough. Use vertical strokes to slam the birds into the ground between the stakes.
>>
>>350381

The post in question was

>> 348373
>>
>>349444
Holy that made me laugh.

Dehydrated foods are light
>>
File: 1404993365094.jpg (742KB, 1278x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1404993365094.jpg
742KB, 1278x1920px
>>348955
always hunt walking against the wind, all animals smell better than you can.

build a fire that will go all night by building a small ramp for wood to trickle into the fire on. use only big logs or the fire will spread.

make char cloth innawoods naturally by using cat tails. dig a hole next to a fire, place the cat tails in there then place a small fire on top of it.

goats are the best bang for your buck animal you can take innawoods with you.

burdock(the plant with those annoying velcro like burrs) is highly edible. you can eat the large leaves like salad, boil the roots like potatoes, and the burrs can be used as a natural velcro as modern velcro was modeled after them.

desalinate water by boiling it into a metal tube, cover this tube with a damp cloth and periodically poor dirty cool water on it. this will turn the water vapor back into water which is desalinated.

use rubbing alcohol on your feet weeks before a long trek to harden them up and reduce blisters.

dave canterbury taught me everything i know
>>
>>350692
>make char cloth innawoods naturally by using cat tails. dig a hole next to a fire, place the cat tails in there then place a small fire on top of it.

i should also say that you need to recover the processed cattails before putting the fire over it.
>>
File: innawoodswinch.png (68KB, 504x492px) Image search: [Google]
innawoodswinch.png
68KB, 504x492px
>>350692
you can construct a winch with heavy cordage and 2 logs(pic related).

these winches are powerful enough to level a house, although they are most often used to winch cars out of rough spots.

tie whats in the diagram to a tree and winch away
>>
>>349104
>>349258
I prefer athletic tape over moleskin and duct.

Athletic tape can be used as a bandage/dressing directly over small wounds, it breathes. On top of that you can use it to treat sprains and support joints. Also athletic tape sticks to sweaty skin and won't fall off like duct tape will.

Medical tape works too, but it doesn't breathe so its not good as athletic tape for a band-aid replacement.
>>
>>350358
Blackberry leaf tea is very healthy, if you confuse blackberry with poison ivy you are retarded.
>>
>>350692
>goats are the best bang for your buck animal you can take innawoods with you.
is this one of those long term HAPPENING survival things?
>>
>>350700
some people get pairs of goats and use them as such.

personally i just like how a full grown can carry 30 lbs of gear while eating most of its food/water on the way. most of its water comes from grass so it doesnt need to stop by streams constantly.
>>
The bee venom is "apitoxin" and the stuff in it that is so powerful is "melittin" get it some research.>Melittin also exhibits potent anti-microbial activity. For example, melittin has been shown to exert "profound inhibitory effects" on Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes lyme disease.[3] Melittin has also been shown to kill the yeast Candida albicans[4] and to suppress Mycoplasma hominis and Chlamydia trachomatis infections.[5][6][7]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melittinhttp://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/Supplement_1/S48
It has been my go-to cure for moderate infections
Or to quote
>>
>>349248
I haven't figured out a way to absorb lighting.
>>
>>350853
So... you get a wound/tick, and the answer is to provoke a bee into stinging you?

Even if this cures lyme, its pretty funny.
>>
>>350874
Its a bunch of hocus-pocus
>>
>Bears have something called "hypo sensitive eye function". What that means basically is that they can not see very fast movements. Their brains can't process it. If you are fast enough you can escape a bear or sneak by without it seeing you. (It can still smell and hear you so be careful)

>Snake venom is a great anti bacterial and viral substance. Catch a poisonous snake to disinfect food and water. Your stomach acid takes care of the poison.

>Try building your camp in front of a bear cave or other areas with a lot of predatory animals. Local animals will leave you alone because they are afraid of those animals.

>Never, under any circumstance sleep more than 4 hours at a time. Humans are the only animals that sleep more than 3 hours/day. Local animals will think you are dead and signalize their pack that there is a fresh carcass to be eaten.

4 nuggets my grandpa taught me.
>>
>>350898
Hey look! bears in that cave, lets set up camp in front of them..
Hey lets chase poisonous snakes to purify our water.

I fell for it, didn't I?
>>
File: bait taken.gif (18KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait taken.gif
18KB, 599x600px
>>350898
It's funny because the snake venom won't kill you if you drink it but the fact that it isn't an antimicrobial will.
>>
>>350874
Yeah

>>350853
Seems legit, article backs it. I wonder about dosage, a single sting or several?
>>
>>350898
topkek
Is your grandpa still around? I'd like to go camping with him if so.
>>
>>348982
Lost it at anus
>>
>>350898
>>350898
>>350898
Motherfucker... Did you just say humans are the only animals that sleep more than 4 hours a day.

Did you just say camp near predators to ward off non predators. "I'm tired of these deer and squirrel, lets camp next to the bear cave"

Catching a venomous snake without knowing how will most likely result very poorly

Running from a bear is a horrible idea.

I know that this is obviously a troll post, but goddamn make it less obvious. You're just trying too hard.
>>
Bears cant run downhill.
>>
File: Dale_Wearing_a_BeeKeeper_suit.png (575KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Dale_Wearing_a_BeeKeeper_suit.png
575KB, 960x640px
>>350853
>DALE: It's true, bee venom is the penecillin of the 21st century! It cures everything from toothaches to ADD! Isn't that right, young Joseph?
>JOSEPH: My head hurt. But now it doesn't.
>DALE: Step right up and tell me what ails you!
>MAN # 1: My neck's kind of stiff.
>DALE: Eight bee stings. You?
>WOMAN: I feel fine.
>DALE: Six bee stings. You?
>MAN # 2: Planters wart.
>DALE: Ugh! Thirteen bee stings.
>>
this much >mad over a nigga duck dive dumpin?
>>
>>351180
Lol; noob. Gonna get yourself bearolled with that attitude.
>>
>>349443
Well all of these idiots are responding to him, sooo....
>>
>nuggets
Fresh rabbit turds are edible.
Dried rabbit turds burn like no other.
>>
File: 1361935803419.jpg (987KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
1361935803419.jpg
987KB, 900x667px
>>348955
anything resembling poison ivy, the old adage is "leaves of three, let them be"
>>
that moss is also very nutritious!
should you find yourself lost without food in a forest, you can survive on moss!
>>
>>349434
did you just call 4chan a forum?
>>
>>352121
Goodness gracious me no. Where on ert did you get that from?
>>
>>352121

> being this pedantic
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>348969
>humans
>>
>>350628
>>349983
>>349430
a hammock is ideal for this
>>
>>352318

The whole point of the rocks is speed. The birds will escape the sticks in maybe 3 seconds. A hammock or net is going to take longer to throw and unfurl correctly.
Unless the net was staked above, ready to be dropped like a trap. But in that case, the stick forest isnt needed at all.

I understand a net could have a higher catch rate, but its that much more difficult to deploy correctly.
>>
>>349494
by slowly rotating the wheel you grind fine flint powder off into your tinder, then strike it and *poof*.
>>
>>349444
So by simply going swimming you'll die
>>
>>352348
Hopefully. At least then you'll stop shitting up the board with this lame ass pseudo discussion.
>>
File: poison_sumac_leaf.jpg (201KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
poison_sumac_leaf.jpg
201KB, 500x340px
>>351913
Except that strawberries and many raspberries have three leaves as well, not to mention a host of other benign plants. Meanwhile poison sumac which is even more virulent than poison ivy has multiple leaves. And just handling the innocent looking water hemlock and then eating something without washing your hands can be deadly.

A better piece of advice is to just learn to recognize the dangerous plants in your area. There really aren't that many.
>>
>>350692

>goats are the best bang for your buck animal you can take innawoods with you.

>for when you get board with your hand
>>
Nettles can be wilted over a fire and eaten immediately. Less than a minute over the flames completely removes the sting
>>
File: 20140719_125658.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140719_125658.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>353086
>>
File: flash.gif (142KB, 400x281px) Image search: [Google]
flash.gif
142KB, 400x281px
>>348981
>Should you dry the moss first?

If you know what club moss looks like, collect the spore pods and dry them in a bag for a few days. You're left with the spores which is called lycopodium powder. It's amazing stuff. 110% waterproof, natural lubricant , and can be used as a flash powder that won't burn your skin or start secondary fires. It's not very useful innawoods but it makes for some great party tricks.
>>
You can build an oven using a hole lined with fire heated stones. Place food in center, add more stones and green foliage to prevent soil from getting at it, then bury it. Dig it up in a couple of hours for your roast
>>
>>353911
how do you heat the stones, or move the stones once they're 500+ degrees?
>>
>>353086
>>353830
>for when you get bored with your hand

Is the girl on the book included with the goats? I might not need my hand.
>>
>>353918
Seriously. Holy shit, she is beautiful.
>>
>>353911
This is popular in Hawaii & other polynesian Islands
>>
>>349504
but how am i going to be hardcore like all these survival show guys if I don't take a journey out into the middle of nowhere with little water and no lighter?

lol seriously though, take a bic, shit, you can probably fit at least 3 in your change pocket alone
>>
>>349085
I like to live by the saying "I got mine, fuck you."
>>
>>353915
lern to use sticks
>>
File: hey-dude-show_320.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
hey-dude-show_320.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>353830
she reminds me of brad from Hey Dude ;_;
>>
>>353915

I bet you're the kind of guy who opens up the oven

> kids!
> dinners ready!

> oh boy daddy
> daddy why don't you take the chicken out?

> its much too hot son, we'll just have to wait until it cools down before we can move it

> daddy I'm tired of room temperature dinner, I want the hot dinner that other people eat
> can't we use some kind of tool or protection to allow us to move the roast whilst its hot?

> Son, I think if such things existed I would have heard of them
> now come sit and watch your dinner cooling on the middle oven shelf

Tldr nigger do you even sticks
>>
>>350861
Become a wizard
>>
>>349611
>>349507
>>352346
a hammock is ideal for this
>>
>>351183
YES
10/10
>>
>>354471
10/10
Spit coffee all over screen
>>
Common sense, but never light a campfire under a tree, no matter how tall the tree is.
>>
>>354537
wtf is wrong with u? if ur innawoods you wanna stay under a tree, for the same reason to have a fire under a tree.

you're somewhat protected from the elements (rain/snow/wind) , it helps trap the heat from the fire, and the smoke will repel most insects from said shelter.

as long as you're not camping under a dead christmas tree you'll be fine.
>>
File: 60777622_92602d926a_z[1].jpg (175KB, 640x537px) Image search: [Google]
60777622_92602d926a_z[1].jpg
175KB, 640x537px
>>354478
>huh?

>>354537
Bullshit. you stay the warmest by lighting the fire as close to the tree as possible. For even better results make sure it's a conifer with lots of those little sap blisters on it.
>>
>>349496
But he's already drowning the little shit, unless they're foaters.
>>
>>351913
nice cabin, just don't play the tape recorder in the basement.
>>
>>354651
Or under a tree with snow in it. You can put out your own fire in a hurry that way.
>>
How do I keep bears away?

This is important.

;_;
>>
>>356047
Sing old show tunes and musical numbers, but replace key words with "bear". Bears are so sensitive to puns that hearing "Some Bear Over the Rainbow" will cause them to commit swift suicide.
>>
>>356047
>Keep food and its smell away from your tent. >Don't hike too quietly.
>If you walk into the bar and everyone there is a man with a beard and a happy smile make a hasty retreat.
>>
>>356053
>>356055
Fuck you, fags.

Second time he's came around my camp.
>>
>>356056
Seriously, if it's a black bear, hang everything with an odor where he can't reach it. If he still comes around, make an assload of noise and chase him while throwing things at him. 99.999% of black bears run away from people.
>>
>>349044
if in southern hemisphere, if taking advice from north hemisphere-rs, swap north to south
>>
>>356047
Don't menstruate. Period blood is like crack for bears
>>
File: 0.jpg (28KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
28KB, 390x310px
>>354471
>daddy I'm tired of room temperature dinner, I want the hot dinner that other people eat

8/10 m8, I laffed.
>>
>>356056

Put out honey, wait for bear. Shoot bear. Crucify bear as warning for other bear.

Put out honey.
>>
Current best thread on out
>>
You can make storage containers from birch bark
>>
Cattails have a white part near the roots that can be eaten raw and is full of starch. Simply pull them up to harvest. As they are so abundant you can usually get a good meal. All white parts of the plant can be eaten.
Whilst the white parts can be eaten raw, its probably safer to cook it as you'll be pulling them from untreated water.
>>
>>357185
>>
>>357193
What the fuck was that? Is that suggesting you eat the green parts or fluffy top?
Pretty sure I'm falling for bait right now. Stick to the white parts near the roots
>>
File: cattail roots.jpg (35KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
cattail roots.jpg
35KB, 400x300px
>>357185
>Cattails have a white part near the roots that can be eaten raw and is full of starch.

The small young ones are like bland tasting baby carrots but once they get much
more then finger length, they become stringy and need preparation.
>>
>>357204
This.
The young ones taste vaguely like cucumber to me.
Mature ones are best sliced up and boiled into a soup.
In an emergency you can chew on them and swallow the juice to get out as much of the good stuff as you can and then spit out the wad of stringy crap you're left with.
>>
File: 6789675023_02e9787c51_z[1].jpg (178KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
6789675023_02e9787c51_z[1].jpg
178KB, 640x427px
>>348981
>>348998

Lichen works best. Either way, place in pocket close to body and it will dry out.
>>
>>357230
I am lichen this thread.
>>
You can pick honeysuckle flowers, nip off the green stem part and suck the base of the petals to get the nectar. They're sweet and pleasant, not always a great deal of nectar per flower but they usually grow in abundance, and they're much nicer tasting than most things you can find or gather, and bitches are always impressed by it.
Easy to get them to suck elsewhere namsayin?
>>
>>357204
>then
LMAOOOOO
>>
>>350396

Top cake
>>
>>353911
in new eland we eat this sometimes especially if you're a fucking nig

hell I just ate one of these the other week called a fucking hangi here basically you dig a big hole then kick in a fucking sheep booyah
>>
>>357591
>LMAOOOOO
Laugh My Ass off off off off off?
The fuck?
>>
>>357681
Adding extra Os is common amongst faggots. Most psychiatrists agree that the shape reminds them of buttholes
>>
>>348982
What if one of those penis bugs goes up yer ass
>>
>>349916
I know a guy that shit in a lake and his asshole got infected and got a bunch of bubbles. his asshole is seized shut forever
>>
>>350692
>Goatfucker Detected
>>
File: howtokeepbearsaway.png (10KB, 593x327px) Image search: [Google]
howtokeepbearsaway.png
10KB, 593x327px
>>356927
TopKek
>>
A paper cup filled with water will not burn below the waterline when placed in a fire. The water will boil instead.
>>
Uk outers, in late autumn, often as late as beginning of november here, you can harvest magic mushrooms.

Look anywhere you find long grass for little broan mushrooms.
The features you need to know are: nipple capped, stem lighter or the same colour as cap, and gills darker than the stem and cap.

That's how you identify the common liberty cap. Where you find one, you can find dozens in manu cases.

Spread them on a sheet of newspaper to dry. 30 fresh liberty caps is a good dose, but when dried they can be weighed for accuracy.
>>
>>353002
>water hemlock
There is a terrifying amount on roadsides around the ditches that fill up with water, this year here in Delaware. I ride a bike and try not to let it even come close to touching my leg.
>>
>>358971
Are you sure it's hemlock? It's actually fairly rare these days as far as I know because so many people kill it. But cow parsnip and hogweed look very similar and are more common. Even still, you're wise to avoid it either way. Misidentifying hemlock is a one time mistake and even some otherwise benign hogweeds have a light activated sap that can cause sever dermatitis as well.
>>
>if you want to break your neck, climbing a tree at night is your best bet
>>
Turn an old cast iron or steel cooking pot into a tar/charcoal maker. Drill a hole in the bottom, this allows tar to runoff. It helps if this is off to the side of the bottom, so a fire can be built around the rest of the pot.

Fill the pot with freshly cut pine, pack as many chips and pieces in as you can. Now put the lid on, adding earth or clay round the rim to help keep it sealed. Have your pot on a slightly raised platform, with a small cal inder the hole in the bottom to collect tar.

Light a fire under and around the rest of the pot. The wood will turn to charcoal which can be collected later, and you will also collect pine resin tar which has waterproofing and sticking properties, as well as being a good fuel by itself for torches and such.
>>
>>355642
what kind of cabin has a basement?
>>
>>354471
>> Son, I think if such things existed I would have heard of them

truly chuckleworthy
>>
>>359450
Do it with a paint can or similar and put it inside another, larger container to collect the tar before you start cooking it.
Birch also works well for this and can be used as liquid smoke for seasoning food.
>>
File: 2936743074_45f6f8debc_z.jpg (95KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
2936743074_45f6f8debc_z.jpg
95KB, 640x512px
>>359493
Isn't birch tar AKA birch oil? The stuff they use for making birch beer?

Also this device sounds an awful lot like a wood gasifier. Is there any difference between a gasifier and charcoal maker?
>>
File: t600-2012 11-14 birch tar 043 2.jpg (71KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
t600-2012 11-14 birch tar 043 2.jpg
71KB, 600x490px
>>359502
Never heard of birch beer but birch wine is made from the sap you get from tapping the trees in late Feb/early March. It's clear and high in sugar. You can reduce it down to make syrup which is good in baking.
Birch tar is made by cooking birch bark or twigs/woodchips ina sealed environment and collecting the run off. It's brownish black like treacle when warm and pretty stiff when cold. Add powdered charcoal to it and it makes a pretty hard glue. A drop or two in a shot of whiskey is a nice addition to marinades.

I don't know much about gasifiers but I think it's a similar method. You're just harnessing the gases released by cooking the wood rather than letting them escape to the atmosphere.
>>
File: Wistmans wood i.jpg (626KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wistmans wood i.jpg
626KB, 1600x900px
>>359450
>>359493
>>359502
>>359519
watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOMh95An7O8&list=UUJ1R6DwrVcT9bRerP5BZaOA
>>
>>359534
>watch this
What the fuck for? I'm already familiar with the technique. Why would I want to watch that little gobshite herping his derp over his first attempt.

If that's you in the video then you deserve a slap for digging in the soil with a knife.
>>
>>359734
>you deserve a slap for digging in the soil with a knife
That sound. I will never forget that sound. It will haunt me 'til my dying day.
>>
>>349450
Nigga that's called clay. Ever had a milkshake fm McDonalds?
>>
>>348982
This is the worst post I have ever read on 4chan, disregard this autist
>>
>>360912
Actually it works pretty good.
>>
File: 408697.jpg (52KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
408697.jpg
52KB, 960x720px
>>349079
2/10 for making me respond
>>
>>350898
>intentionally setting up camp near predators
>wolfbro: "this breathing, occasionally moving animal which smells alive is a carcass, I swear wolfbro"
>>
>>357198
He's not trolling, every part of the cattail is edible. The top is edible while it is younger, before it becomes white and fluffy inside.
>>
>>360942
Also burning a cattail will produce a stench that will not come out of clothing.
>>
>>358954
while it's all well and good for people who know what they are doing to get mushies ( which are awesome) it's pretty dangerous for the average joe to do. Mushrooms are next level poisonous, if you get the wrong type.
>>
>>360946
I was told the fluffy bits is often used as excellent tinder. Not sure who's trolling
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.