[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people bitch about driving manuals in traffic >driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: 6_speed_man_trans.jpg (21KB, 422x316px) Image search: [Google]
6_speed_man_trans.jpg
21KB, 422x316px
>people bitch about driving manuals in traffic
>driving in traffic in manual first time
>not even that bad
>can literally leave car in 2nd gear whole time as long as a full stop doesn't happen

why are people so lazy?
>>
>>14330536
For most people a car is an appliance, nothing more.

Anything that makes it "harder" to use is going to be frowned upon by the masses because they just want to get from A to B in comfort, they don't want to interact with it outside of HVAC and radio controls.
>>
>>14330536
>live in LA
>some of the worst traffic in the world
>sometimes spend 2 hours in stop and go
>still drive a manual

I'd say it's about 25% more irritating but still worth it for the times you aren't in traffic.
>>
File: Imma kill this cat.jpg (10KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
Imma kill this cat.jpg
10KB, 236x236px
>>14330536
>driving into the city
>ever
>>
>living in a place where you have to put up with that level of traffic

Worst I ever get is being stuck at a red light for a minute and a half during rush hour
>>
>>14330605
LA fag reporting in, traffic sucks no matter what car you drive people just like to complain about everything, i love my manual, in and iut if traffic
>>
[spoiler]I like to practice heel-and-toe 3rd gear to 2nd during heavy traffic[/spoiler]
>>
>>14330573
>because they just want to get from A to B in comfort
Then why do those people turn around and buy ultimate driving machines and mercs? If they really saw it as an appliance they'd all buy Lexus/Acura/Toyota/Honda.

People obviously admire fast cars and spirited driving. They simply are too stupid to enjoy those two things while piloting a manual transmission.
>>
>>14330672
Is heel/toe the only way to rev match and down shift? I can't find anything online for how to downshift that is a little more practical or whatever. I wanna buy myself a stick shift for my next car but I dont want to get it without knowing everything there is about using it right.
>>
>>14330687
You can blip the throttle as well, my feet are too long to heel toe, so i use the front of my foot. Half on the brake, half on the throttle. Easy peezy
>>
>>14330687
Guy you're replying to here.

Nah, it's just for fun. You can just

>clutch in
>tap gas pedal
>clutch out
>repeat until you're in your desired gear
>brake

Obviously, you're gonna need to give yourself more distance if you do it this way since braking comes last.

>I can't stress enough how its just for fun. It is not necessarily the right way to drive stick. In fact, you'd be an obnoxious cunt if you heel-and-toed ALL THE TIME FOR ANYTHING INVOLVING DECELERATION
>>
File: flies.jpg (92KB, 629x475px) Image search: [Google]
flies.jpg
92KB, 629x475px
>>14330536
>I have to have manual cause muh control and muh feels

>just leave it in one gear all afternoon through traffic cause then it's bearable
>>
>>14330536
because its the stop and start traffic they're bitching about.

Going up and over an on ramp in a manual in start and stop traffic in a manual becomes tedious after doing it for years.

Give me that auto
>>
My friend complained about holding the clutch in when we were driving in slow traffic to high school. I think the main issue is stop and go traffic, where you're always working drone like/boringly to keep from stalling.
>>
>>14330536
I drive an old 94 Bronco with a 5 speed manual. It sometimes stinks only because the catch point is ridiculously high.

My friend has a 6 speed chevy cruze and that thing is so easy to drive, it's a breeze even in heavy traffic.
>>
>never been stuck in bumper to bumper on a steep hill
>>
File: 1444590511917.jpg (56KB, 356x374px) Image search: [Google]
1444590511917.jpg
56KB, 356x374px
>>14330675
>Then why do those people turn around and buy ultimate driving machines and mercs?
Because the badge?

Literally 90% of bimmers and mercs are bought by beer gutted rich idiots because the badge means it's expensive.
>>
>>14330853
If you're afraid of rolling back, just hold the handbrake til the clutch bites.
>>
>>14330853
when in doubt gas it. If your clutch or tires slip then you were fucked from the start for having a shitty clutch and bald tires
>>
>>14331183
you just gonna constantly crank that handbrake up and down?

you just use the foot brake and use proper technique. its just a pain in the ass thats all
>>
File: NiggaYouDumb.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
NiggaYouDumb.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>14331259
if people get too close to me when im on a hill, I just slowly roll back until im resting on their bumper, then usually burn out
>mfw people get super pissy
>>
i tried to learn my mates manual and i did pretty well until i got into stop and go traffic on a steep hill. worst thing ever
>>
>>14330536
>first time driving in traffic
That means you haven't had it that bad yet, I love manual and even I admit traffic can get a bit annoying, its nothing to switch to an automatic over(don't live in a heavily populated area) but the more it happens the more annoyed you'll get
>>
>>14330675
Status symbols.
That being said, I'm also guilty of bitching. Not necessarily because of me driving manual in bumper to bumper traffic, but because of the traffic. It is a pain to have to accelerate to close the gap, only to come to a full stop 20 meters ahead.
>>
>>14330536
Becuase I have two cars. Auto for DD and a manual for my go fast car. It's not that people CAN'T do it, they don't want to. Easy as that. I'm 30, I don't want to shift gears and work the clutch for two-three hours every god damn day while creeping at 3 mph. I did it for years. Automatic is the best for daily.
>>
>>14330742
>I don't know how manuals work
>>
>>14331486

All fun and games until you get arrested for a hit and run.

Even though you do no damage it still classifies as one.
>>
I hate when Americans say "I love manuals, but try driving in [INSERT CITY HERE] traffic and see if you still like manual"

In the UK our road designs are literally 1000 years old and tiny, with some of the worst congestion in the world in places like London, far worse than your wide open 5 mile long streets.
>>
>>14332169
I sometimes wish people knew how to keep a constant velocity. better to be moving at 5mph than to accelerate and then have to stop and stay there until the car in front starts moving again.
Truckers do this, and I feel bad when someone cuts them off or is in front of them constantly braking.
>>
ngl my face is usually spattered with blood after going 12 rounds on my bag
>>
File: 1453873356720.jpg (42KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1453873356720.jpg
42KB, 354x367px
>>14332201
london pop= 8.5m
LA pop= 18.5m
just stfu
>>
I will admit it is a little more hassle in heavy stop-and-go. Mostly because people in my city constantly slam on their brakes rather than slowing to a stop.

The biggest plus for me is being able to control the power to the wheels instantly.
Every auto or CVT I've driven has like 3 seconds of lag when you're already rolling and want to get back up to speed. Especially at highway speeds.
>>
>>14330615
>living in a place where you have to put up with that level of traffic
It's like you don't want money Anon. Enjoy being a poorfag redneck
>>
>>14330536
>as long as a full stop doesnt happen

thats not traffic fuckboi
>>
>>14331486
>I drive a beater pickup
>the second you bumper rolled back onto mine would be the end for you

10/10, would mercilessly push your car into the one on front of you
>>
>>14332634

go back to /brit/ you fuckin nonce
>>
>>14332738
>Thinking I don't make twice as much money as you managing a dairy farm

it's like you enjoy putting up with being crammed in a city 24/7
>>
>>14330736
This.
Super usefully when overtaking or in traffic that isn't constantly requiring you use the brake.

Although you can get by without heel-toeing, it's very usefully when slowing down to make a turn when you're not trying to scrub too much speed e.g. beating a yellow light or an on ramp.
>>
Because if you're not poor, most modern sports cars have superior automatic and DCT transmissions that blow manuals out of the water.

If you are a poorfag, your cars typically have dogshit transmissions and are nothing more than spongy appliances.
>>
>can literally leave car in 2nd gear whole time as long as a full stop doesn't happen

This. Not coming to a full stop is like a game to me. For whatever reason people behind me get pissed off. It's bumper to bumper traffic bitch! why wouldn't you want to keep rolling?
>>
>>14330853
If you can't manage a clutch on a steep hill you should just turn in your fucking license.
>>
>>14330868
And they always buy base model (Whereas a much better equipped model from another manufacturer can be bought at the same price), making them look even poorer in the process.
>>
>>14330853
this is when I put my cautions on and drive on the shoulder. get out and pop the hood scratch my head. Hop back in the car and merge kek
>>
>>14330536

Because people are retards like my ex and leave their foot on the clutch instead of putting it in neutral.
>>
>>14332411
everyone is just too impatient - and everyone is playing the 'which lane is moving faster' game.

I've pretty much mastered it at the cost of being the dick that doesnt merge until the lane closes, and cuts off truckers like you mentioned.
>>
>>14332694
Just need to drive better autos -
>>
>>14332925
I doubt taht you do.

Plus your job is managing a dairy farm so thats an instant L anyway.
>>
>>14332201
daily reminder that your island is smaller than most of the US' States.

So yeah, it's kind of obvious that you'll have more population density.
Thanks for pointing out the elementary facts, Londoner.
>>
>>14333333
what a fucking shit-tier get
>>
File: 1417849819565.jpg (64KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
1417849819565.jpg
64KB, 310x400px
>>14333341
>peanut butter and jealous
i have the freedom to do what i please with my gets, faggot
>>
>>14333353
why dont you shove them up your ass and go back to lereddit
>>
File: 1449926161991.png (41KB, 592x403px) Image search: [Google]
1449926161991.png
41KB, 592x403px
>>14333362
>be anon
>be this bootyblasted that somebody got a shitty get
say no more good sir, it's obvious that you cannot deal with my gets.
>>
File: loli rustle.jpg (59KB, 405x412px) Image search: [Google]
loli rustle.jpg
59KB, 405x412px
>>14333372
>be anon
>get a shitty get
>people boo him
>>
File: 1436495629793.jpg (567KB, 708x826px) Image search: [Google]
1436495629793.jpg
567KB, 708x826px
>>14333382
>be me
>get shitty get
>grin and laugh
>be you
>watch me get shitty get
>get mad
>boo

I'd rather be me fair lass.
>>
>>14333416
fuck off back to /his/ with ur shit get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M
>>
File: 1436574803701.jpg (68KB, 600x481px) Image search: [Google]
1436574803701.jpg
68KB, 600x481px
>>14333428
>admitting you browse /his/
it's like you want to be known as a sophist.
>>
>>14332196
I thought its the other persons fault for being too close.
>>
File: xKwPiuX.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
xKwPiuX.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
>>14330536

Proud Americans get too sweaty when shifting
>>
>>14332756
this, i don't even drive a beater, but if people want to play stupid on the road, i promise them that I will do it better.
>>
>>14330536
I spent 4 hours driving in stop and go traffic once in a manual, car fully loaded with people and luggage. It was... annoying, and I wish I had gone in an automatic instead.

Then again it was 4 fucking hours.
>>
I have driven both automatic and manual. I love driving manual, because it makes driving more fun for me. Now I understand that people like automatic better because it's easier to get you from a to be, so what? What's up with this discussion anyway?
>>
>LA to Vegas
>Friday
>leave at 4 pm get there at 9 pm

Just end me Pham

Manual is great and all but there are obviously situations in which it is a hassle
>>
File: 00001.jpg (136KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
00001.jpg
136KB, 640x357px
>>14332196
As if, I don't do it when there are police around, and no nigger is that jewish to call in my plates
>>14332756
Then I would call the police that you hit me, and there's no proof that I ever did roll into you, or i can say I'm not use to driving on hills

>mfw you're both idiots i feed off of
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (758KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
758KB, 3000x2250px
There is nothing quite like changing gear manually... you are more in control and can push the car further if needed.
I like the idea of an automatic as a commuter as it is just easier but I would have a manual over auto any day.
>>
>>14330536
burgers are naturally lazy.
>>
>>14330536
bye clutch
>>
>>14336179
plz explain
>>
LAfag here, don't work in LA and you're good.
>>
>>14336185
Unless your car is geared retardedly, letting the clutch out while the car is rolling at 5mph probably means you're needing to give it a fuck tonne of revs to stop it from jerking around.
>>
>>14330536
>20+ stop signs to get out of my neighborhood
I literately 2nd/3rd gear all the way it's so fuckihg annoying. Who the fuck designed all these 5 meters away stop signs for MUH CHILDREN?? Fucking nanny government
>>
>>14330536
the people that complain about driving manuals in traffic are usually the people that mostly drive auto. when I rent a car on trips, it's auto and I'm like, oh this is why they complain about manuals, yeah this is alright I guess, but not convenient enough to make me want to own one ever.
>>
>>14333906
>not use to driving on hills
You know this isn't an excuse right and that would be your fault. If you roll backwards in a manual, and hit the car behind you, you are at fault because you were "unable to control your vehicle."
“As far as I’m aware there is no law that requires a driver to park at a set distance behind a vehicle,” he said. But there is a law that said you have to be in control of your car if it’s moving backwards. Ferguson quoted the CA Vehicle Code section 22106 from memory. It says: “No person shall start a vehicle stopped, standing, or parked on a highway, nor shall any person back a vehicle on a highway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.”

Idiots think the old, made up, rule of the person behind is always responsible. Guess what. That DOESN'T EXIST in most places.
>>
>>14336245
>stop signs
>not stopping

you probably dont wear your seat belt either.
>>
>>14336303
I bet you wear your seatbelt
>>
>>14336244
What? I can smoothly continue a roll at 5mph using 2nd gear and hardly any revs at all.

Are you saying most cars don't allow this?
>>
>>14337930
No you're fine this guy doesn't know where he's talking about.
>>
>>14332941
>I am a Norman who doesn't really care about cars
>>
>>14332689

>London pop 8.5m

Not him. Firstly its more than that, the vast majority of traffic comes from people who don't live here so that stat if flawed anyway. Secondly, London is more concentrated and tighter packed than LA.

Twat.
>>
>>14338384
He's also using the population for the Greater Los Angeles Area because he googled it and didn't bother to read what the population was for. LA's population is less than 4 million.

A better comparison would be NYC to London as they are very close in population (8.4M to 8.5M respectively)
>>
People only complain about this when driving manual isn't completely second nature. When you have to think through each individual action of clutch in, change gear, clutch out, feather clutch, feather throttle, etc, it probably does get pretty tiring. I just zone out if traffic gets shitty.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.