[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

File: 848002_Pontiac_100.jpg (59KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
848002_Pontiac_100.jpg
59KB, 700x700px
What went wrong?
>>
>>14326791
the corvette
>>
>>14326805
/thread.
>>
GM always hated Pontiac for some unknown reason.
>>
ut ent ong?
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 400x300px
>>14326791
Idk man
Hopefully In 20 years faggot will be as nostalgic as Pontiac as some are with Plymouth and my firechicken will be worth something
>>
>>14326809
because they consistently pumped out cars that were better than any other GM companies
>>
>>14326809
they never hated it, they were just stupid and mismanaged everything.

one thing that definitely killed them was the edict that nothing could be faster than the corvette. So that resulted in intentionally underwhelming cars.

also, at some point they figured pontiac had to offer boring cars like everyone else, so the "excitement division" of Gm started selling shitbox sedans.

then when the bailout came, since pontiac wasnt doing well, the Government told them to axe it as part of the terms and conditions on the bailout.

apparently, GM misses pontiac and regrets losing it, much in the same way a kid misses that toy they broke and had taken away by their parents.

they still keep the pontiac support website up and running, and you can still get assistance from it, which is cute.

honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if Gm decided to revive pontiac some day.
>>
Pontiac wasn't selling well in the late 70s and early 80s. Their engines were too new and had issues meeting the new emission demands. Higher ups decided to make Pontiacs rebadged Chevys using Chevy's engines because they were further along in development, met regulations, and were selling better. GM's execs also hated performance cars like the Fbodies and Corvette. A whole division of performance cars didn't meet their idea of cheap mass produced commuter vehicles.

GM wanted to make Pontiac its RWD performance brand again with the G8 and next gen GTO and Solstice, but the government wanted them dead. They weren't profitable and GM needed to focus on economy cars. This is also why the C7 was killed and the Camaro was put on hold. Maybe if this whole ignition switch thing doesn't seriously hurt GM they will consider bring them back.
>>
File: vibe.jpg (74KB, 1209x653px) Image search: [Google]
vibe.jpg
74KB, 1209x653px
>>14326791
this fampai
>>
File: sunfire.jpg (184KB, 1808x1144px) Image search: [Google]
sunfire.jpg
184KB, 1808x1144px
>>14326791
>''why didn't they save this noble brand''
>>
>>14326960
I thought it was the Aztec that kilt it.
>>
File: torrent.jpg (68KB, 750x405px) Image search: [Google]
torrent.jpg
68KB, 750x405px
>>14326791
>>
>>14326960
>rebadged matrix

Why?

Pontiac has some god tier engines tho it's a shame really.
>>
File: aztek.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aztek.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>14326791
>>
>>14327012
it's not that ugly desu
>>
Y/N?

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5414975919.html
>>
>>14326791
took them too long to put this out and too expensive. sometimes letting other countries build are shit might be the best decision some companies can make
>>
File: 2015-Pontiac-Firebird-side.jpg (85KB, 849x340px) Image search: [Google]
2015-Pontiac-Firebird-side.jpg
85KB, 849x340px
I'm glad pontiac isnt around anymore, honestly. they went out with some dignity at least.

otherwise we'd probably be seeing this monstrosity calling itself a firebird today
>>
>>14326845
>Grand Am
>>
>>14327189
>too expensive
>competed directly with 5 series' for a whole lot less

look at the marketing for it, G8 was a great car
>>
stupid yank bumpers instead of the holden ones
>>
File: 2005_U-bodies_Exterior[1].jpg (821KB, 1151x801px) Image search: [Google]
2005_U-bodies_Exterior[1].jpg
821KB, 1151x801px
>>14326791

rebadging like a whore

Goyim Motors love tricking those gullible goyim. Kikes gonna kike.
>>
buddy just totaled his firebird, was ony a v6 but was in great condition exterior and endgine etc was mint
>>
I was actually thinking about getting a 3rd gen trans am if I can find one in good enough condition. Should I go hunting for one? Is there anything about them that should make me just forget about it?
>>
>>14326960
That's a Toyota m8
>>
>>14327756
It sounds like they didn't have any plans for a new Firebird. They were working on a next gen GTO.
>>
>>14327756

Looks better than the Camaro.
>>
>>14326960
The vibe/matrix is a good car, the Aztec killed them.
>>
>>14328534
not saying it wasn't, but its like a diamond surrounded by shit .. most pontiacs were just meh
>>
>>14328656
The Vibe should have been a Saturn.
>>
>>14327012
it looks like it has downs syndrome
>>
>>14326791
They were doing so well, and they released a new line up. I remember reading the magazines as a teen excited for their new lineup,
nah gm had to choose pontiac to go out of business due to money issues
>>
>>14326805
This really sums it up. They were expected to be the faster/fancier chevy, but conversly could not have a true competitor to the vett. It made them an awkward choice.

That said, the G6 and G8 were some of the best american cars at the time, and everyone (in my area at least) absolutely loved them even if they didn't have one.

Still though, G6, G8, and Trans Am hold value pretty well and make great used cars. I actually just got a G6 GT, so I might be biased... but they made too many garbage rebrands and terrible decisions because GM is GM and GM is an idiot.
>>
>>14328557
holy shit, why
>>
>>14326858
>i wouldnt be surprised if Gm decided to revive pontiac some day
I wonder if they will, but within the chevy name, the new impala SS is basically a G8
>>
>>14327012
you know what would be a good idea
>hits crack pipe
we should you know make a mini van dude that's like..
>snorts line of coke
also an SUV
>eats shrooms
AND FUCKING MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THE GRAND AM BUT ONLY IN THE FRONT
>takes downers
and dude why not also make it turn in to a tent to chillll
>drinks 40
and let's make it slow as dog piss and give it the shityist interior possible

CEO
wrap the front in cheap fadeing plastic and give it our least reliable tranny for lolZ
>>
>>14330077
That gave me a silent giggle but it would have been louder but it's 1 am right now.
>>
>>14330052
Not an Impala SS. Just SS for whatever reason. It only got made because GM had a deal with Holden to import a certain amount of cars. With Pontaic gone they had to toss a Chevy badge on it. GM doesn't even want to sell the cars.
>>
>>14327756
waiting for the new GTO and Trans Am to come out, gonna become the urban hillbilly and hoon the fuck out of it
>>
File: sunfire.jpg (52KB, 513x385px) Image search: [Google]
sunfire.jpg
52KB, 513x385px
>>14326964
Post-facelift Sunfires don't look bad at all.
>>
File: pontiac_aztec.jpg (37KB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
pontiac_aztec.jpg
37KB, 360x235px
>>14327756
>dignity
top motherfucking kek
>>
During the bailout, GM was originally allowed to keep only Chevrolet and Cadillac, for base and luxury. They fought for Buick because they sell crazy well in China, so that stayed. GMC because they said they were rebadged Chevy trucks with a Cadillac interior, so they got to stay.

They fought for Pontiac, and every new Pontiac was going to be RWD, the Solstice was going to stay, the G6 was going to move to the Alpha platform, they were still going to import the Commodore as the G8, and there was workings to make the new Monaro and sell it as the GTO. The government said No. So Pontiac died. It was going to become the performance brand it was meant to be. Bob Lutz confirmed all this.

Someday, I hope that they revive Pontiac, the support site for them is so sad, the live chat still works too last time I checked.

>>14326805

Not really, that was the problem up until like the C5, GM finally realized then that no matter what, they would still sell Corvettes.

>>14326926
The reason they stopped using Pontiax engines, and everyone switched to Chevy engines was that it was stupid to have every manufacturer using their own engines. Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Chevy all used their own engines, with very few part similarities. And all of them weren't as good as the equivalent sized Chevy engines. Smoky and the Bandit? In order to do those stunts, it had a Chevy engine in it. The Pontiac 400 was one of the last Pontiac engines to be used, and made that Trans Am faster than the Chevy, but only because bigger engine.

They loved performance cars, they started the muscle car boom with the 1949 Olds Rocket 88, then with the 64 GTO. The gas crises and emissions is what required economy cars to sell anything, but notice how they didn't pull a Ford and build something like the Mustang II and try to build a sporty economy car.

>>14330052
Imapala SS? You mean the SS. It isn't an Impala. The impala is FWD, and isn't changing back to RWD.
>>
>>14330107
They are a captive import.
GM loves them, because they fit a niche spot in the market that only has one other American competitor, the Charger, a RWD sedan, and the SS is much better because it weighs less, and is pretty close to 50-50 weight distribution. They would continue to sell, if not for the fact Holden is going away. Look at how well the G8 sold, especially the V6 model. GM is stupid for not selling the Commodore as the Impala.
>>
>>14330132
Mate, you'll be waiting a long time for that
>>
>>14330180
Are you blind?
>>
>>14327189
>too expensive
GT was only $30k
>>
>>14330207
The decision to change over the Chevy engine was a cost saving measure. Pontiac fought to keep the turbo 4.9 and there were third gen turbo Trans Am test cars with modified narrow block engines, but the Pontiac wasn't able to meet emissions demands so it got axed. The Old's 307 survived for a while because it was able to pass smog with a better grade than the Chevy.

Appearntly when filming the bridge jump scene Neeman needed more power. At the time he owned a NASCAR team and had them send over one of their 700hp engines to be used. It happened to be a Chevy engine. The other cars used the Pontiac 6.6, and the Turbo Trans Am needed nitrous.

Appearntly one of the reasons the Banshee was killed was because GM wasn't happy that Delorean released the GTO.
>>
>>14326791
the died for GM's sins
>>
>>14326791

When you post a GM brand and ask "What went wrong?" the answer is ALWAYS "GM Corporate".
>>
>>14330851
/thread
>>
>>14330201
still looks better than most SUV's today

better to fizzle out with a few duds and a nice legacy regardless, than become generic V6 only modern auto brand #2518
>>
File: Nissan_Juke_16GT_FOUR_Type_V.jpg (2MB, 2500x1270px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan_Juke_16GT_FOUR_Type_V.jpg
2MB, 2500x1270px
>>14327012

it was ahead of it's time, they went with a radical design that got panned (at the time) but now they are making cars that look similar

Nissan Juke
Jeep Cherokee
>>
File: 2015-07-30-123857.jpg (73KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-30-123857.jpg
73KB, 480x480px
>>14328164
>implying the Grand AM was bad
>>
the cut the brand because if they didnt they wouldnt have gotten that bailout money.
pontiac was their lowest selling brand at the time.

parently their were plans to convert the pontaic brand to be performance oriented, but eh...i dont believe it because they could still do it with chevy.

the new SS is too expense. take off 10K
i wanna be a damn GXP
>>
Poor old nigger thought it was a caddilac
>>
>>14330276
i ment the g8 more so. I'm not saying it wasn't worth the price but regardless price is still high
>>
They didn't start selling rebadged performance Vauxhalls and Holdens. Hot Hatches seems to be taking off in the US now. They could've done well. A Pontiac Corsa GXP would've taken the Fiesta ST on nicely.
>>
>>14330040
It's called Badge Engineering.
>>
I've had my '04 grand prix since it's birth and i just hit 300k the other day. Not a single thing has broken down. Those 3800s are tough as fuck
>>
>>14328628
look again
>>
All the fucking rebranding

By the end half their cars were just chevys with different badges glued to the front
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.