[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what does /o/ think about the Elio? http://www.eliomotor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

So what does /o/ think about the Elio?

http://www.eliomotors.com

>$6,800 brand new
>84 mpg
>american made and manufactured
>made for lonely neckbeards who browse 4chan and don't have any friends to take on a ride

It's ugly and no Miata, sure, but so far it seems like the true car of the future. I can already feel Tesla making an electric copy of it any time soon.
>>
>>14318941
If I wanted zero practicality and high mpg I'd have a motorcycle for way cheaper than that thing
>>
>vaporware
>fucked up three-wheel "motorcycles" for everyone else
>>
i REALLY want this to NOT be vaporware because it seems like a goldmine for mods, some good rubber and stiff springs and a hyabusa swap would do wonders because the chassis weighs basically nothing, it'd be tossable and quick as fuck. Optional factory manual too.

hell forget the hyabusa, anything with 120+hp would make this thing into a rocket ship
>>
>its classified as a motorcycle so it can get around safety standards

Seems really dubious. What if an SUV fucked your shit up at an intersection?
>>
>>14319781
And yet they advertise FIVE STAR CRASH RATING
>>
>>14319825
they advertise a PROJECTED five star crash rating.

however they're using the top of the line industry crash simulation software, which is actually like 90% accurate now which is deeply impressive in all honesty.

it they do all their crash testing in a computer during development, then do actual physical crash tests with like four or five real models they could get pretty close to that five star rating.

but really, four star is fine for all but the absolute worst accidents
>>
>>14318941
I see that thing getting fucked by a semi just running over it.
>>
>>14319933
Nice dub dubs, but what exactly *wouldn't* get fucked by a semi running over it other than maybe a dually?
>>
>>14319933
>wow what a piece of shit if i blew a pound of C4 inside it it would probably blow up!!!
>>
>>14319933

Safer than a motorcycle or ratrod I'd assume.
>>
>>14318941
I think there are shitloads of shills, considering that many major independent YouTube stars got paid to promote it.
Yes it seems economical, but getting a shitbox or motorcycle would be a better option.
>>
i can only imagine the goldmine of mods and how amusing a subculture of Elio enthusiasts who rice them
>>
>haven't released a single car
>geo metro engine
>expecting 6800$ "car" to not be the epitomy of shitboxes
>vaporware
anyone that sunk money into their pre-production shilling campaign is an idiot.
>>
>>14319961
>>14319971
I should say I think its more susceptible to go under a large truck and get fucked
>>
File: yamaha-fz07.jpg (212KB, 1004x680px) Image search: [Google]
yamaha-fz07.jpg
212KB, 1004x680px
I could get a brand new Yamaha FZ-07 with that kind of money. Gas mileage is still really high except it's way more maneuverable, faster, and less faggy looking.
>>
Don't you need a motorcycle license to drive this thing? I'm pretty sure it's classified as a motorcycle despite being a blatant three-wheel "cart". I'd call it a superlight but I'm not sure how much this thing weighs
Shame, because it looks alright. I'd buy and tune one
>>
>>14318941
reported for advertising
>>
>>14320027
don't forget
>relying on government loans as part of your business model

Not like that hasn't ever bit anybody in the ass before.
>>
>>14318941
>american made and manufactured

>implying that is good thing
>>
>>14318941
looks pretty fuckin stupid t.b.h. family
>>
>>14319027
It's only got 3 wheels. you WILL tip over if you corner too fast.
>>
>>14320348
Announcing a report is against the rules too you fat retarded slob
>>
>>14320825
given sticky (and preferably wide) tires i'd be curious to see what the flipping speed is, probably rather high since its CoG is really fucking low
>>
>>14318941
why would tesla copy it's own design?
>>
File: img_5454-sam.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
img_5454-sam.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14318941
I want it to happen so I can pick one up dirt cheap secondhand months after they come out from someone that suddenly needs something practical.
>>
>>14320825
>top gear may may
>even Clarkson said they fucked with the diff of the Reliant Robin to make it flip over
>>
>>14320173
That can't carry luggage, keep you dry and cool your ass with AC
>>
>>14320173
>actually buying an fz-07

fucking meme bike right there
>>
>>14320190
if its classified as a motorcycle does that mean you could park it like a motorcycle? the rule here is you can park it almost anywhere as long as you dont block foot traffic
>>
>>14318941
Assuming it isn't vaporwear...which it is

-The 5 star crash test safety is all "projected".

-They will never be able to sell it at 6800 and turn a profit, so it will never actually make to market at a price that low. If it does, bankruptcy won't be far behind

-They won't actually get 84 mpg, the in house engine that they keep saying will make it possible has still yet to seriously materialize

-Who the fuck will they sell them too in enough volume to turn a profit

The entire venture is implausible on it's face, and this isn't something like Musk at Tesla, where he has money to burn to keep things on track
>>
>>14318941

I think it's neat. Gas is cheap right now but it won't be forever. This little guy could make a great second car for commuting or a nice city car.

unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen. they're way behind schedule and don't have the funding. i just don't think they'll ever make them.
>>
File: Hummer_H2_back.jpg (509KB, 2400x1560px) Image search: [Google]
Hummer_H2_back.jpg
509KB, 2400x1560px
>>14323049
>Gas is cheap right now
>>
>>14323060
I just filled up @ $1.48/gal senpai
>>
>>14322874
can't refute the rest of it, but the in-house engine has been produced and the current protoype is powered by it
>>
>>14323065
that's not the point. buying a vehicle based on a wildly fluctuating resource is terrible.
>>
>>14323074
that current engine is not new, it is identical and probably is from the Geo Metro 3cyl
>>
>>14323096
hence
>but it won't be forever
i don't think there's anything wrong with prioritizing MPG, especially for a commuter car
>>14323101
you may be thinking of the previous prototype
>>
>>14322656
Bullshit
>>
>>14323074
>>14323101
>>14323110

They are just now dyno testing the reworked Metro engine that's suppose to get to the magic number. It's not 'all new from the ground up' as they promised in the beginning. They just tweaked the old Metro 3 cyl with more modern tech, and again, the 84 MPG is all theoretical
>>
>>14323111
I'm not gonna spoonfeed you, just google it it's fairly recent news
>>
>>14318941
>>american made and manufactured

There's your problem, if they ever make it it will be shite of the highest order.
>>
>>14320825
stop being fucking stupid
>>
Also, just a few figures

Mercedes averaged about 11,000 Smart cars sold in the US from 08-2015 (although some years saw as little as 5K units)

Let's say Elio does that in the first year. 11,000 units at 6800 a unit

That's 74.8 Million in sales, when the CEO himself says that the break even point would have to be 200 Million. So that's over 120 Million in toxic debt in the first fiscal year

And this from a company that needed 25 Million in crowd sourcing to develop 25 prototype city cars. Thats a fucking million dollars a prototype. For a 3 wheel, 3 cylinder city car.
>>
>>14323554
but the smart car is genuinely terrible
>>
>>14323576
Not next to an Elio, it's a fucking luxobarge come supercar.
>>
>>14322578
holy shit it actually looks alright in this picture....
>>
>>14319027
D O R I T O S W A P
>>
>>14323576
The Elio city car is supposed to do 84 MPG and has an 8 gallon tank, but that's again all predicted

Right now, with the regular Geo Metro engine, they have confirmed 65, so let's do that math.

65mpg x 8 gallon tank = 520 miles of range

A 7 grand used Ford Fiesta can do about 500 on a single tank, will be safer, more practical, and have better options, if that's your thing

If you give them the true 84, that's about 680 per tank. A regular Prius with a 12 gallon tank does about 600. So again, you don't see any drastic reduction in the number of times you are going ot have to gas the car up.

You are going to pay less per mile, but it isn't some hysterically low amount. At the end of the day, you would buy this thing because it's cheap, and decent mpg/cheap fuel costs would be an added bonus
>>
The kind of "city" person looking for a "city" car isn't going to be swayed on price, they still have to pay for insurance, parking, gas, etc. And it's a lifestyle for man people. The kind of person this appeals to is already going to use Uber, Lyft, or Zipcar.
>>
>>14323626
The Up! Bluemotion will do 78.5mpg in the 60ps version and 76.3 for the 75ps yes the tank is quite small so you are looking at only 500-600 miles per tank but you do get 4 seats and a trunk like a real car in fact it is a real car.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.