[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Rally never take off in America? I mean, its a massive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

File: pretentious.jpg (317KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.jpg
317KB, 1024x768px
Why did Rally never take off in America?
I mean, its a massive empty fucking continent aside from the coasts.
But it was so bad that Peugot pulled out and I don't think Lancia ever bothered to offer their cars
Why?
As pretentious as it sounds it is one of the purest motorsports. You can go in with your daily driver, FWD,RWD,AWD and you will still compete if you're skilled. Even if it's a landscape thing where there's too much flat scape, that still doesn't make sense because there's still rallycross.
Why does everyone here romanticize street racing and track days more than rally? Why'd it never catch on? What's in our culture that prevented it?
>>
Too dangerous. Think of the childruns
>>
because NASCAR FAGGOT MURRRRRRRRICA GOFAST
>>
>What's in our culture that prevented it?
faggots
>>
>>14315276
Because you might hit a tree and hurt the tree.
>>
>>14315276
I wish we had it in canada, the coolest form of racing.

the closest I can get is my subie on dirt roads
>>
Amateur rally is super popular in the US. Americans are more interested in participating in rally than spectating it. A lot of would be rally drivers are drawn away by desert racing, rock crawling, or just general offroading, for the reasons you described, in America you can go into middle of nowhere and drive anywhere in a truck, it's not the same case in Europe both terrain wise and legality. You could ask "why didn't rock crawling take off in Europe?"
>>
>>14315276
I ask myself the same thing a lot. It's probably an insurance thing honestly
>>
>>14315307
Yeah wouldn't want to tear up the environment on a dirt road with a Fiat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXVLbs41Ew
>>
>>14315329
God I love rock bouncers. Strategy? Nah fuck it, just throw the vehicle at the hill.
>>
>>14315329
I was just thinking of the crap that people would say if you tried to hold a tarmac rally in the SF Bay Area.

>Think of the trees!
>What if somebody hits a squirrel?
>Will alternative fueled vehicles be given equal representation?
>Will bi-cyclists be able to participate?
>>
Daily shill for NASA rally sport's grassroots amateur rally series

www.nasarallysport.com/
>>
>>14315344
Yeah it's too bad because there are some world class roads that would make great stages, Bolinas-Fairfax from HWY 1 to Ridgecrest would be the perfect stage. If it brought money to the county it could probably happen but I don't think there's enough benefit to the city/county financially for it to be considered.
>>
>>14315355
>www.nasarallysport.com/
So what, do one rally per year? The events are scatted all over the country. How am I supposed to compete in this series and have a job? The closest event is 800 miles from my house, how much will it cost for me to always be on the road?

I'm guessing 20k a year in entry and transport costs for a low level car with no hired help. Plus keeping the car going on top of that...Zero sponsorship oppertunities.

Yeah I wonder why nobody does this.
>>
File: RLY_2014_OTR_16.jpg (645KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
RLY_2014_OTR_16.jpg
645KB, 1200x800px
>>14315276
RallyAmerica is a fairly big event. Not like WRC or anything, but it still draws spectators and competitors.
>>
>>14315388
well im sure there's local rallycross stuff or rally events near you
become the local hero !
>>
>>14315388
Do you think people in Europe just show up with their shitbox at Monte Carlo? All racing is expensive, not sure what you expect from an amateur race series.
>>
>rallying consists of turns

thats the answer
>>
>>14315371

Word. That road is one of my favorites.

One day of stages in the north bay, one day in the east bay and one day on the peninsula. It breaks my god damned heart that most people in the Bay Area would HATE for this to take place.

What better way to celebrate our excellent roads than having a rally?
>>
>>14315407
ebik
>>14315396
This, really.
>>
File: 4528.jpg (295KB, 1400x1001px) Image search: [Google]
4528.jpg
295KB, 1400x1001px
>>14315388
Any motor sport is prohibitively expensive, dude. Professional teams change tires/suspension/body parts like socks.

Unless you have huge starting capital or a sponsorship, the closest any of us will get is by beating up an old Subie/FiST/Lancer in the local Rallycross.
>>
>>14315402
>not sure what you expect from an amateur race series.
There are national rally championships that take place over area's the size of Texas. If you want to compete at a national level, the logistics are way easier to deal with.

Take the PNW. There is one rally within 1500 miles. What is there at the regional level, RallyX? Nobody is going to get competitive at stage rally by getting their seat time in doing RallyX
>>
>>14315423
>>14315460

How did that Jalopnik guy get into WRC?
>>
>>14315423
>Unless you have huge starting capital or a sponsorship, the closest any of us will get is by beating up an old Subie/FiST/Lancer in the local Rallycross.
This is what I am getting at. There needs to be a middle ground.....be it Hillclimb or something. Unless you go straight to the national level, or are satisfied doing one event a year there are no opportunities for the time and logistically challenged to earn seat time like there are in Europe.

If you are just starting out it is crazy to drive a 1/4 the way across the continent to do something once a year you are guaranteed to fail at until you have practice.
>>
>>14315471
Bought a beater E30, built it on a shoe string budget, entered, and finished dead last behind every car that didn't DNF.

I guess if you are satisfied to do it just to do it yeah that is great. But if you want a chance to actually be competitive even in the lower divisions there is no way for normal people in North America to really do it.

Look at how Loeb did it,

>Sébastien left school. He wanted to get his hands dirty and he succeeded in that by qualifying as a construction electrician. He had barely started his professional career before blowing his earnings on the object of his dreams: a Super 5 GT Turbo. The tyres were destroyed after just 2,500 km and his licence spent more time with the police than in his wallet! This is how his driving career began and his innate qualities were already on show. Sébastien ran several GTIs into the ground before his attention was caught by a recruitment ad looking for young rally drivers for ‘Opération Rallye Jeunes’. This was 1995. Sebastian was 21 and looking down the backs of sofas to scrape together the 100 francs needed to register. He won the regional trials and then the Castellet final, but his closest competitor (Nicolas Bernardi), who completed the event as night fell, was declared the winner. He failed to win again in the final in 1996. But this did not discourage him; he was already convinced of his speed and skill. The only thing holding him back now was the money to get started.

Nobody in this country can do anything like that.
>>
>>14315547
cont.

>In Alsace, Sébastien’s driving skills and ‘drive’ had not gone unnoticed. Two enthusiasts, Dominique Heintz, an amateur rally driver, and Rémi Mammosser accepted him into their Ambition Sport Auto team with a single objective: to give the promising driver the start he needed. It was a defining moment in Sébastien’s life. In 1997, they had found the funds and the car. Dominique Heintz called Sebastian, “You’re racing in 15 days in a regional event and I will be your co-driver.” This was their first rally and also their first win. “He’s either crazy or a genius,” said Dominique Heintz, who vacated the co-driver’s seat for another courageous soul to take his place. This was to be his only regional race before moving up a gear to the national Volant 106 competition. In this, Sébastien won 4 races in the ‘1300’ category before ‘skipping a year’ to compete in two races in the ‘1600’ category where he performed very well. At the end of these 6 races, Echappement magazine named him Best Prospect of the Year.
>>
>>14315547
>>14315555
so basically you just have to be stupid lucky and european to go from rags to riches in rally
otherwise you best hope to god you come from a rich family and got interested at age 6 and involved at age 10
>>
>>14315276

Rally
>"stupid gaht dayum impurts!!"
>hike into the middle of nowhere to watch each <1 hour stage

NASCURRR
>"lord mercy listen to dat der vee ate!!!"
>can walk into a loud stadium with on-site concessions, proceed to sit in the same spot for the next 4 hours getting shitfaced
>>
>>14315567
I would say not so much stupid lucky and european but talented and european. There are so many events there, and there is so much more money involved at the grass roots level that if you are good people with means will help. There is also so much more respect and awareness of the sport.

Nobody in the US gives a fuck about Rally America. It's sad, I wish it was bigger than NASCAR, but that is the way things are.
>>
>you will never become a rally champ
>you will never compete
>>
Too technical and requires too much skill for most muricans to understand
>>
>>14315547
Why is he played up as such a fuckin hero
>>
>>14315675
So Europeans (the people that pay money to watch rallies and watch it on TV) actually think they have a chance of becoming a racer without shittons of money.
>>
>>14315675
Because look at him now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZnQymK-6I
>>
Why do people on /o/ honestly think they can compete in any kind of motorsport
>>
>>14318885

Because people can you negative nancy. Enter a rental-only Go Kart league for example, or 24 Hour of Lemons style thingy or something.

Don't hate.

Takuma Sato didn't start racing until he was 20 something.
>>
>>14319761
>lemons
>go karting
wow thanks
>>
>>14315276
murricans can't into turns
>>
>>14315555
103.2 inches of wheelbase is TOO BIGG FOR RALLY
BUH BOOM
HEADSHOT CITY
>>
>>14319775

>Oval track doesn't involve turning skills or massive amount of driving skills in general.

I understand if you think it's boring as a spectator but c'mon.
>>
>>14319809
Don't think it involves this massive amount of driving skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611BRlkoLQc
>>
>>14319817

Of course rally driving is insane amounts of driving skills but so does oval racing, especially at a certain level, like the Indy500.
>>
>>14319817
Oval is very easy to lose time on but very hard to gain time on. It's a war of attrition.
>>
>>14320040

Also a war of staying on target while driving 220 MPH for 4 hours every weekend.
>>
>>14320040
haha what
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhtJCXq3oxE

I WANNA I WANNA I WANNA
>>
>>14322237
Fanta
>>
Retarded american gene pool.
>>
Because 'Murica, land of autotragic car enthusiasts can't compete for shit with the rest of the world.
Kinda like when Sebastien Loeb joined the X games and molested the living shit out of everyone. Kinda fun to watch, and pathetic.
>>
>>14323698
Is it really that unsurprising that a world champion dominates a relatively unimportant (to rally) event? It's the same deal with motocross stuff, guys you never see winning AMA races will compete at X-games just because very few AMA guys show up.
>>
>>14323714
>Is it really that unsurprising that a world champion dominates a relatively unimportant (to rally) event?
I thought Ken Block was a driving god until I saw this.
>>
The same reason nothing comes to the US.

1) A snub by the pretentious cunts in the FIA

2) Controlling costs. The US is a long journey away from Europe.
>>
ITT dumbasses don't realize live spectators mean nothing to WRC.

spectating WRC is free for 90% of the rallies.

Not only would there be US spectators, but probably more than a lot of other shit countries they go to. Spectators are not the reason they don't come to the US fucking retarded europoors.
>>
>>14319808
corey pls
>>
>>14315307
the tree allays wins
>>
>>14315276
>You can go in with your daily driver, FWD,RWD,AWD and you will still compete if you're skilled
Mate, you're delusional if you think you can compete with a clapped out DD. Also, the rules require it be completely stripped and caged.

Second, the US has rally america and nasa rallysport which are the equivalents of adac, british rally, and all the other European club rally shit you see on youtube.

As far as club racing in general, it's not as popular, but that's because we are more spread out and lower population density. Far less exposure to the public. Plus we are largely suburban and stifled by libtards who desperately want to kill motorsports. Logistics of US racing are expensive as fuck, traveling 8+ hours for a race is normal. Meanwhile in Europe there's a race track every hour. England is the size of Southern California, yet has 5 high quality race tracks. Socal has none. The nearest real race track for someone living in say, Orange County, CA is the distance from London to Nurburgring.. you pass 3 FIA level tracks in that distance, and countless club level tracks in Europe.
>>
>>14319809
they could have set the oval up so you don't need to turn
>>
>>14324147
This post is so wrong. You're cancer
>>
>>14324165

Don't you got a week long cricket match or soccer game to watch? lol. They could set the game up so guys don't run around like faggots.
>>
>>14324147
>wah! I'm not rich so I can't compete. So I'll tell others they can't compete! Life is so unfair.
Get over yourself.

A quick Google search shows any sort of motor sports event and local tracks. Those tracks can't live off of just professional events, they host all sorts of events.

>Local track had an event that you could bring your DD car and put it through its paces.

And so what if you lose, you try again, and keep trying, and like any sport, you practice and if you persevere, you start climbing the places to victory.

Or you could sit there and whine while amateurs have a ball, blasting their cars around a track.
>>
>>14315276
It may not be on TV, but rallycross is alive and well in the US, and isn't it more fun to drive your car than watch other dudes on TV drive theirs?

https://www.scca.com/pages/i-want-to-rallycross
>>
>>14315276
I live in Washington state and I've always wondered this. It's the perfect landscape for it, but as far as I know, there's nowhere to do it. Damn shame too, cause I love rally.
>>
>>14325576
103.2 inches is too big
>>
>>14326341
really?
>>
>>14315276
To be a rally driver you must have driving skills, americans cant deal with corners let alone the challenges that come with rally, enjoy your oval track and left turns americucks
>>
>>14326338
http://www.olympusrally.com/
>>
>>14326341
what is wrong with you?
>>
My dream is to someday do the 100 Acre Wood rally. It's pretty pricey but would be very worth it. Even if you start with a popular budget car like a Neon, it can cost $15k by the time you buy the car, install the safety gear, replace/upgrade key wear parts. Then you need spare wheels, tires, wear parts and so on. Figure $2,500 for that. Entry is around $1,500. You've got to get a license too which is about $250 or more.

It's as real as it gets for an even that allows amateurs though. The route is usually over 400 miles. Over 125 miles of competitive stages. Cars must be street legal and drive public roads between stages like real rally.
>>
>>14326537
is it really too big
>>
>>14326537

Apparently about 103.2 inches
>>
>>14326593
103.2 cant compete
>>
>>14326590
>>14326643
retarded miami lad please shut the fuck up
>>
>>14315276
Because it's not hick circledrive. It involves corners, and handling, and skill, and can't be done in a stadium while people drink beer and yell incoherently and set off air horns in people's ears.

The closest US equivalent is monster truck racing,
>>
>>14315704
Well, considering that rallying is a very accessible sport, you can be. Maybe not a super famous ultra skilled racer, but you can race cars on weekends.
The only thing cheaper to get into is banger racing, because that's literally hauling cars off the scrapheap and driving them until they die. Then fixing them and doing it again.
>>
>>14326949

You've obviously never driven a circle track dirt car. It's very fun. Anyone who thinks circle track dirt racing isn't fun probably doesn't have a pulse. I'd love to rally race regularly in the US but the events are just too sparse and require a bunch of travelling. With a dirt car I can hit up 5 local tracks within 2 hours drive and then hit up a few marquee events out of state once or twice a year.
>>
>>14326976
Different anon here, let's not forget oval isn't exactly no-skill either. When the whole track is essentially a corner, you have to really nail the corner every single time for god knows how many laps, while fighting for position with a dozen other G-bodies or whatever.
>>
>>14326742
im not miami lad i just want someone to answer
>>
>>14326991

Yeah circle track racing dirt or paved is not easy. No one on /o/ would probably make the main event even in a dirt car that set the quickest qualifying lap. No one on /o/ could take the pole setting car from any given NASCAR race and cut a lap that would even make the show.
>>
>>14327050
uh
>>
>>14326976
I've watched it on TV. It's fucking boring. Around and around and around and someone's crashed and around and around.
And I've played videogames of it way back in the day. Those were boring too.

>>14327050
And I probably couldn't finish a rally stage without crashing out. What's your point?

Of course, banger racing is mostly oval racing, but in ancient shitbox landbarges and with lots of contact. Probably fairly easy to finish a race in that, if you know how to drive worth a damn. If you can fix things, you might even finish the whole event, AND get the car onto the trailer under it's own power.
>>
>>14327657
Again, driving it is a very different experience. The track is slick, you're almost constantly sideways, engines are thundering in your ear, body panels are smashing and clanging against one another. and you're straining HARD for that extra car length on the guy in front every lap.
>>
>>14327657

>I've watched it on TV. It's fucking boring.

Wow, great argument. I find almost all racing boring to watch. Great fun to participate though. Like many sports in my opinion. It's impossible to say dirt track or even paved oval racing is boring until you actually try it. Video games can't even capture 5% of the experience. Everything you said could be said about almost any circuit racing. Even road racing is around and around until someone's crashed, and round and around.

There is a ton of skill and just as much chassis setup in dirt racing as many other types of racing. I've only run hobby stock which is basically full frame American cars with low performance stock style V8s and it was a hoot. And that's not even a 1,400 lb sprint car with 900+ hp.
>>
>>14326959
Odd, because there's plenty of Euro posters on /o/, yet not a single one of them races, while plenty of American and Canadian posters are involved in amateur racing
>>
>>14315355
>www.nasarallysport.com/

>grassroots
>$15,000 investment for 1 event

yeah nah
>>
File: 124.jpg (726KB, 2720x1532px) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
726KB, 2720x1532px
As someone who has done several rallycrosses I can tell you first hand it fucking sucks.

>6-10 minutes of actual seat time
>$50+ entry fee
>gas/hotel night before
>have to stand and shag cones for hours
>not being able to bring your daily driver for risk of damaging it and having to get to work the next few days
>get consistently beat by some dude who drops $500+ in tires per event and owns some unicorn car

It's a complete waste of time and you could have more fun just driving around back roads.

Stage rally is at least $10,000 for the most amateur level.
>>
>>14328881

sounds like you need to git gud
>back roads
you're implying we all have those
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.