[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it suck owning a shitbox?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 22

File: image.jpg (348KB, 800x538px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
348KB, 800x538px
So I've been looking for a fun manual car to replace my autotragic Cobalt. Pretty much everything I've looked at was between 6k to 9k, which is enough to get you a good, recent car.

But since I'm going to end up replacing it in under 2 years anyway (I have a career in the military lined up) so I figure I might as well get a cheap car so I can save towards my next one. Potentially as low as 2k.

Is the shitbox life suffering or is a couple years in a dated car not all that bad? On that note, how is the ZX2 S/R?
>>
Why would owning a car with no car payments. And not having to worry if it gets messed up be bad?
>>
>$6-9k
>shitbox

You'd have to royally fuck up to end up with a shit box.
>>
>>14310165
You couldn't even make it half way through such a short post?
>>
>>14310149
gonna join when you turn 18 anon? shit just buy something with the lowest mileage and most service history you can find.
>>
I love shitboxes.
But, I also have a garage full of tools and shop tools so fixing them isn't an issue.
I also live in urban california so breaking down isn't something that worries me since I'm never out of civilization.

for some people lack of the above things would steer them in a different direction
>>
>>14310311
No I'm 21. Couldn't afford university level training to be a commercial pilot without relying on parents like a spoiled brat, so I'll be an aircraft tech instead. Starting pay is 50k a year so I'll probably get an FRZ/FiST once I got my finances sorted.
>>
>>14310420
you'll get a fist alright...
>>
>>14310149
You could buy 6 shitboxes with that amount of cash
>>
>>14310149
Just buy a corolla and stfu
>>
>>14310149
got my shitbox for £500
a year later it's still gets me where i need to go
>>
>>14310445
What does this mean?
>>
>>14313421
up ur butt
>>
>>14310149

Not at all, they're dependable and extremely versatile. I could get more people and their shit in my 1991 Sprint more comfortably than my dads SUV. We had to travel slowly, however we were able to enjoy the vistas because the windows are massive and nothing obscures your vision like fuckhuge pillars and gaudy worthless 'features' as they are often called
>>
I have to admit my 70hp civic is laughable on the street. Whenever I go from a stop people usually pass me because I can't accelerate fast enough. I don't really give a fuck though, it's in great condition for being 23 years old and I only paid 1k for it
>>
Shitbox life = best life.

My friend has a rusty $200 Metro that we offroad in (hill climbing, jumps, etc) and it's probably one of the most fun things you could get for that amount of money. Maybe a gun or drugs would provide more fun, but I doubt it.

In winter it's significantly more fun because you can e-brake slide everywhere. It's also so light that 2 people can lift the back end off the ground on their own and with 3 or 4 of you you could probably just pick the front end up and move it over if it got stuck as well. It also costs about $20 in gas.

Cons: It's incapable of highway travel, that mostly just applies to his in particular, but even in good condition they're not exactly ideal for long trips. I've had other shitboxes that were capable of highway travel and a ZX2 S/R certainly would be, so this doesn't apply in OP's case

tl;dr buy a fucking Geo Metro
>>
>>14314020

in gas per week***

fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 380x253px
>>14314020
Shitboxes are loved by /o/. We like to say they have character. We beat them to hell, and they somehow still go another 50k miles. When brand new with 4 miles on the odometer, we smugly donned these vehicles "econoboxes". But they matured, such as a fine wine does. They surived to 300k miles with minimal repairs. Just like a soldier earns the Purple Heart, our "econoboxes" earned their reputation as the "shitbox". There are a few cars that will always be known as great little shitboxes: the Toyota Corolla, our beloved Twingo, and America's frontrunner, The Geo Metro.

The Geo Metro was conceived much the same way I was: during a 4am cocaine fueled grope session in the back seat of an AMC Gremlin.

The year was 1987. A few Detroit executives who were down on their luck decided that we need a car designed for real human beans. A car that would love its 8th owner more than its original buyer. A car that had seen 3 oil changes its first 100k miles, but now is pampered by synthetic blend every 2,999 miles. Sunroof? Fuck that! 4 cylinders? Nope! We want 4 wheels, 3 cylinders, 2 doors, and one goddamn good car.

Thus the 1989 Geo Metro was born. It reigned supreme for decades, much like a dictator in Asia. Jay Leno owns 7 Geo Metros in case you forgot. The Geo Metro is the only car to win at Monza, Laguna Seca, Silverstone, and Talladega. Ford and Chrysler appealed to the US government in 1990, saying that production of the Geo Metro created an unfair advantage for GM. Unfortunately for Ford and Chrysler, 98% of the members of Congress drove Geo Metros and loved them to death. The Geo Metro placed 4th in the 1992 Presidential election behind Ross Perot.

Some say the Chevrolet Aveo was the successor to the Geo Metro, but I refuse to believe. Nothing can ever succed over the Geo Metro when it comes to its main purpose: being a spectacular shitbox.
>>
>>14314182

Its a rebadged Suzuki
>>
>>14314182
>The Geo Metro placed 4th in the 1992 Presidential election behind Ross Perot.

If that fucker Perot hadn't split the vote, the Geo would have won.
>>
>>14314251
Go away

>>14314263
Fuckin independents
>>
>>14314182
Well I'm sold I'll take 20
>>
>>14314182
ive always liked these posts
>>
>>14314490

That'll be about tree fiddy, please.
>>
File: FESTIVA-BATHURST R.jpg (173KB, 907x447px) Image search: [Google]
FESTIVA-BATHURST R.jpg
173KB, 907x447px
>>
>>14314020
Hell yea, my father got a ZX3 several years ago for $300 at 150k miles and drove it to work. I've had it for a couple of years now and its at 214k and still going well. I take it camping and fishing everywhere and its only gotten stuck a few times and we've had to dig it out
>>
Shitboxs should have their own generals man
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 475x356px
>wanted to downgrade to a fun shitbox I could work on and treat like shit
>everyone and my family told me it was a dumb idea
>I let myself get cucked and now drive a sensible modern car
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftAaUHnUik
>>
Hey I have one of those festivas in better condition. It's the best car I've ever had. Cheap and simple to repair, And very fun to drive.
>>
File: peugeot_205_gti 1.6.jpg (920KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
peugeot_205_gti 1.6.jpg
920KB, 2048x1536px
>>14310149
only major downside is that the police will harass you if they think you are poor

the moment I started driving a luxury sedan I became invisible to the police
this in spite of speeding much more often then I did in my shit box

and as others have said shit-boxes tend to be less comfortable for long trips
if you are going more than 3 hours the noise and bounciness gets tiring
>>
File: 2015-12-22 15.15.26.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-22 15.15.26.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>14310149
pros of owning a shitbox:
>dont have to give a fuck about parking it
>don't have to give a fuck about maintenance as much. Basically only do the regular maintenance, I'm really anal about maintenance, so it's nice to just do the bare minimum.
>don't have to give a fuck about the paint
>don't have to give a fuck about potholes
>don't have to give a fuck about that noise that just came up
>people get the fuck out of your way because they're afraid of getting hit by your pos.
>cops don't look twice because they know you don't have the money to pay for tickets.
>>
The term "shitbox" was created by steamed idiots that couldn't accept the fact they had wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a car from a dealership when they could have spent a single thousand dollars on Craiglist and had a better car.
>>
>>14315994
for me it does not have to be an old car there a qualifiers that set a shit-box apart

slow and nosy
badly cared for .ie dents and rust
lots of dust and clay all in its gaps
moss growth on the window seals
brakes squeak and fan belt sequels
stalls at random sometimes pops out of gear
does not start on first or second turn
puffs white smoke even when hot
>>
>>14315994
are you retarded? I've heard the term "shitbox" used almost exclusively by the owners of old, reliable, worn down vehicles as a borderline term of endearment.
>>
File: Excalibur.jpg (87KB, 1023x515px) Image search: [Google]
Excalibur.jpg
87KB, 1023x515px
>>14310149
Since this is now a shitb/o/x general, I have a question to ask you all.

I own an '08 Dodge Caliber. It's an ok car but I consider it a shitbox. Get's the job done so I do not intend to trade it in any time soon. I will drive this thing until it dies. Only problem with it is some cosmetic damage on the front bumper. The bumpers need replaced. It's a white car, but I like the idea of replacing the front and back bumpers with black ones. I think it would look cool and give the car some character. The circled areas would be black. Should I do this, /o/?
>>
>>14316322
do it
>>
>>14316322
Don't do it, it will make your car look like it was either crashed or was some kind of super cheap base model that didn't have the bumpers painted for cost cutting reasons.
>>
>>14316246
>term if endearment
Nah
>>
>>14316322
Should look fine
>>
>>14316322
i don't think black bumpers would look good on your caliber. your car is already pretty ugly and mismatched bumpers won't do it any favors.
>>
>>14316464
The car is a base model. Hand crank windows and all.
>>
>>14314020
You spend $20/week in gas and think that's cheap? What the fuck nigga. Are you a eurokek?
>>
>>14313457
It'll be green and shaped oddly like the letters N J and P.
>>
>>14310347
In the same regard i dodnt have tools before my hilux, and owning it justified my fun money being for tools. Now I have enough tools to take on pretty much anything including odd jobs around the house.
>>
Whats a good shitbox thats reliable or cheap to get repaired if youre not experienced with cars? .. im in urgent need of a cheap car ... i was thinking a camry, corrola, accord or a civic ... and also whats an acceptable milege? help bros
>>
>>14317388
>go to craigslist
>sort be <$2k and clean title
>pick one with lowest miles and no major problems
>>
Not only is it not all that bad but you can appreciate all the advancements made since then.

Also with how easy older cars are to work on and service you can learn a whole heap of shit too. Hell, you may end up loving the piece of shit for these reasons and more
>>
>>14317388
CAVALIER
A
V
A
L
I
E
R
>>
>>14317388
Subaru Loyale/Legacy for dat AWD, even the shit ones have enough power that they're fun to drive too.
>>
Well I bought a golf 3 with 200k km about 3 years ago and while I did absolutely no maintenance, it did not even bitch one time, the only thing I had to replace were the tires.
I can not see a single problem with shitboxes.
>>
>>14317449
cavaliers suck, non even a shit box. more like cardboard box. btw i have a Sunfire. same thing
>>
>>14314276

He's right though, it's only a rebadged Suzuki Swift/Cultus.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>14315994
We have had this discussion before. It isn't a real shitbox unless it has a toggle switch wired (or not) to something.
>>
>>14315791

I thought cops fuck with people who actually have money. Unless you drive some loud and flashy boyracer shit or have a P plate (or its equivalent).
>>
File: 2015-06-29 12.50.36.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-29 12.50.36.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>14310149
>Is the shitbox life suffering or is a couple years in a dated car not all that bad?

I'd say it's not that bad. You might have to fix an issue here or there, but IF you buy a shitbox in good condition, it can be alright.

Pic related, my shitbox.

Have had it for a year now, only issues I have had so far are a sunroof that had to be recalibrated (I could do that without tools myself in 5 minutes + a short Google research) and lately it has been leaking a bit of gas with a full tank (Lost like maybe 100ml over a week, wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't seen the small spot in the driveway, probably a tank ventilation issue).
Also it has some body rust that I will clean up a bit next summer, but even if I just left it like it is, it would take years to do signifant damage to the body.

Apart from that very reliable, I have absolutely no doubt it will without get me to where I want to go for at least the next three years. Decently comfortable because it has actual seats, not like those garden chairs found in small VW Polos or Renault Twingos.

It's slow because base model, but it's also good on gas for a car of its size and age.

Bought it from a mechanic I know who had driven it for a winter and serviced it. Paid 1800 Euros.
>>
Have fun regaining your virginity in that mother fucker ahaha
>>
File: 1422012473502.jpg (36KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1422012473502.jpg
36KB, 512x384px
>>14316322
>replacing the front and back bumpers with black ones
Only if you do it like pic related.
>>
>>14314592
Me too.

These guys could sell you a huge turd and you would still be grinning like a retard.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x1833px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x1833px
>>14318552
Wanna buy a scooter?

>Low Mileage!
>Great MPGees!
>WAT Sticker Included!!!
>>
>>14318586
>implying is take a Ruckus after driving as SR50R, the Lamborghini of 50cc
>>
>>14318778
But it's Zuma!!!
>>
I beat Ferraris on the race track in my shitbox.
http://youtu.be/q5F7RWJ7Sro
>>
>>14318586
You forgot the speech you dummy.
>>
File: slow cars.jpg (64KB, 567x541px) Image search: [Google]
slow cars.jpg
64KB, 567x541px
nah. It's breddy fun.
>>
>>14310149
Owning a shitbox is fun, if you have proper roads around you. 'Cause you want care that much if you crash it or ruin the pads etc.
>>>/wsg/917127
>>
File: ZX2_001.jpg (104KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ZX2_001.jpg
104KB, 1024x768px
>>14310149
> how is the ZX2 S/R?
I used to own one, it's okay. Not really fast by any stretch of the imagination. The upgrades for the S/R didn't really add much power over a stock ZX2. Still kinda fun from what I remember. Handling was decent.

To be honest I don't really recall much about the driving experience. It was a project car I spent much more time wrenching on than driving. I have a feeling if I got back in one now I'd probably be a bit underwhelmed.

I dig the exterior styling, but hate the interior. I suspect part of the reason I didn't drive it much is I subconsciously didn't want to look at the ugly ass dashboard.

I'd personally look for an Integra or Civic over one. Honda's from that era I way better put together than Fords. Still, if you have an opportunity to get a S/R cheap might be fun nonetheless.
>>
File: SUZUKISwiftCabrio-2190_1[1].jpg (486KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
SUZUKISwiftCabrio-2190_1[1].jpg
486KB, 800x600px
>tfw no boxier topless Geo Metro
>>
File: 90_93_metro_convertible_009.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
90_93_metro_convertible_009.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>14322931
I'm certain it's pure crap, but I'd love to have a Metro convertible.
>>
>>14310149
>gonna buy a new car when I join the army
Top kek, enjoy financing your brostang at 30% apr, itll look great when you marry the stripper you meet just off base and then she gets balled out by anyone and everyone every time you deploy... till you divorce her when 'your son' comes out black and she takes your car, house and most of your military paychecks. Its ok though, you'll be able to turn all of those military skills into a great career in used car sales.
Tl;dr just kill yourself now.
>>
>>14323043
>tfw Canadian with a muslim loving prime minister
>probably going to be comfy living on base for 20 years than retire
>not a big deal if I get deployed anyway because I'm not stupid enough to sign up in a combat position
>also no plans to get married because socially retarded

It's gonna be nice. If I get stationed in BC I'll prolly just import and Evo.
>>
>>14318473
So I should buy a black hood for it as well? There's a dent on the hood so I could justify that. It might look nice.
>>
>>14314182
please review my car
subaru gl-10 wagon or sedan
>>
File: 1422013020242.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1422013020242.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
>>14323248
Black hood is optional. Moon runes on the doors is a must though.
>>
>>14314182
10/10
You've got me sold.
>>
>>14316322
Do it, turn it into an IRL shitposting machine. Weeb letters on the side and all.
>>
>>14324380
>>14325257
I dig the black stripe. The hieroglyphics... not so much.

I want some racing stripes on my shitbox. What is the cheapest way to paint a car without getting something that looks like total shit?
>>
>>14316322
Kek a friend got one of those as a handme down, how's that i4 in a 4 ton machine? Lol
>>
>>14327402
Look into vinyl wraps, can be used all over the car or just in strips
>>
>>14314263
>Height: 1.66 m
fucking manlet
>>
>>14327595
Fat and slow. The vehicle equivalent of a turd.

I think this car would be funny if it sounded loud.
>>
>>14310149
If It's not your only car no not really
>>
>>14323781
Let me read the wikipedia and think about it for a minute. I took the day off work and it is raining. But it hasn't touched my heart much like the Geo Metro. So we'll see.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 700x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 700x306px
>>14323781
Like many a bastard lovechild of the early 70s, many were skeptical of the Subaru Leone at first, but this lion would go on to do incredible things. It was a mutt that was born of the lesbian ski instructor mother, Subaru, and the skilled tradesman, Nissan, that brought us Z cars and mini trucks.

Our little Leone was birthed in Japan of the finest Nippon steels. While only in its infancy, it won 4 gold medals, 2 silver medals, and a bronze in numerous skiing events at the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo. After the olympics, the Leone spent it's early years touring the western world, attempting to reverse the predjudices still held by many since the Second World War.

Early in its life, the Leone took after its father, Nissan, in many ways. Especially aesthetically. But by the early 1980s, a decade of maternal influences had begun to show, and the Leone was resembling a true Subaru. In the spring of 1981, the Leone summited the Matterhorn, sporting a 4-door wagon trim. Later that year, the turbocharged version took a trip to the US and conquered every 14er in the Rockies.

Popular folklore claims that sometime between 1982 and 1984, a vehicle called the Subaru Brat reached the peak of Mt. Everest and K2 in the same day. The Brat had only planned to traverse Everest that morning, but after hearing of a stranded group of climbers on the K2, it put that boxer engine and Subaru 4wd to use. After finding the 2 lost climbers, ensuring they were comfortable, the Brat continued the last few kilometers to the summit before returning safely to base camp.

By the Late 80s, the Leone began to relax and reflect. It went on a speaking tour of major European cities and universities in support of its autobiography, only taking small breaks to compete (win) in rally events. Wealthy, respected, and a living legend, the Subaru Leone decided it was time to focus on family, and in 1994, the Subaru Impreza was born.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 635x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 635x448px
>>14332133
>>
>>14318441

that's not a shitbox
>>
I have a 2000 dodge neon that was 1500. About half the clearcoat is missing. The sunroof does not work. 7 months and 10k miles later nothing has broken. It gets 30 mpg and i red line it/ wot many times every single day. I replaced the plug wires/ spark plugs, brake pads, iacv/ air filter, and oil change for maintenance. So 200 dollars to keep it running strong.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 426x319px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 426x319px
>>
>>14333878
disgusting
>>
>>14333878
>fwd
twingo a shit
>>
>>14314020
>>14314182
/o/ loves shitboxes because they're poor highschoolers
>>
File: hektik.gif (923KB, 402x291px) Image search: [Google]
hektik.gif
923KB, 402x291px
>>14333894
>implying Twingos can't get hektik
>>
>>14333914
rwd would have 1000x more hektik
>fwd cant compete
>>
>>14333927
>>
>>14333886
>>14333894
Terrible people.

>>14333912
Shitboxes are great sometimes though. You can beat the hell out of them and not give a fuck. Also, if you have to fix something major on a shitbox with duct tape and JB Weld, it is perfectly acceptable.

>>14323781
I'm still hoping anon likes his shitbox's review.
>>
>>14332133
91 Toyota Hilux/Pickup (murrican version)

pls?
>>
>>14333914
I'm laughing so hard right now.
>>
>>14310149
Everyone should own a shitbox as a daily driver. Daily driving a nice car is too stressful.
>>
>>14334855
What does this look like?! It's past my bedtime anyway. Maybe if I'm bored this weekend.

>select all pillars or columns
I hate you so much, Captcha
>>
>>14317812
Does it count if it cuts the relays to the rear light cluster and licence lights?
>>
>>14335377
but why?
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.