[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is absolutely disgusting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

>Work for enterprise.
>See this
Wtf? Cars are supposed to be cool but this is just a horrible idea.
The Prius even has a gear stick for God sakes.
But this, this just feels awful.

Imagine this situation in a movie
>omg anon, this vaccine needs to get to the other side of the city in 20mins, and your the only one who can do it in your new 2015 dodge ram or Chrysler 200.

>Ok just let me tune in my transmission.

Thats not cool.
That's not heroic.
For God sakes there's not even a satisfying click between selecting gears.

.. Have I gone full autist?
>>
>>14288422
You're a moron, yea. But you're not alone, practically everyone on this website is a moron.
>>
>>14288422
No, well, yes. But I agree that that's disgusting.
>>
>>14288457
>that's disgusting
It's the most efficient way to shift an automatic transmission, dude The center console is freed up for whatever and you don't have a stupid column shifter blocking the center stack.
>>
>>14288422

I hate those as well.
>>
>>14288422
The one in the range rover is satisfying as fuck
>>
Mercedes Benz has some even more lazy drive modes.
>>
I also work for a dealership and I HATE that shit. Fuckin stupid...it's on the 200's too
>>
Maybe I care too much about the cars I drive, but I enjoy driving. And I feel like this one tiny thing ruins the whole car/truck
Imagine if they put this in a miata
/o/ would flip its shit.
Or any car that people would enjoy driving.
This is a horrible idea and it needs to be stopped.
>>
>>14288507
At least it's not fwd, right?
>>
Why are you all crying? Console mounted automatic selectors are more disgusting than this. Column shifters are out of the way and so are these.
>>
>>14288489
I drive the 200s on a daily basis. And
Everyone I've talked too hates them simply for there transmission. The only way I could describe it is twitchy.
The interior is OK though.
>>
>>14288517
The Chrysler 200 is and it has this same fucking thing.
>>
>>14288422
If its an automatic why pretend it's a manual with a gear stick? It's not any more "cool."
>>
>>14288468
It lacks the controls a standard shifting leaver gives you over an automatic. Also no tactile feedback meaning to shift, you HAVE to look at the knob to shift.

Aesthetics be damned on this, a shifter dial is awful.
>>
>>14288468
But does it have to be a fucking dial?!?!
New Lincoln's have buttons on the dash that you can press and it feels ok
>>
>>14288529
It is pretty twitchy...good analogy.
>>
>>14288557
I'm just glad I'm not alone on my hate for this dial.
>>
File: watercat2.jpg (108KB, 676x581px) Image search: [Google]
watercat2.jpg
108KB, 676x581px
>>14288548
>Also no tactile feedback

You've never touched one, have you? It has a fairly heavy mechanical detent on each gear.

Click = reverse
Click click = neutral
Click to the end stop = drive
>>
>>14288588
that spurdo is a real jerk
>>
>>14288588
Honestly I think it's because it's an entirely different motion that your using to control the movement of the car, and to me it feels weak and lame.

Sure dials have been used on the climate control and radio for a long time but its never really been a motion that you use to control the movement of the car.

Why can't they make it buttons?
>>
>>14288651
Chrysler did have buttons 50 years ago. It didn't catch on.
>>
I don't really see the problem with these on an auto truck. You put the thing in drive and don't touch it again until you need to park. It doesn't really seem any worse than column shifters, which I've always found to be annoying because they're all mushy and it's too easy to pop it past the gear you want.

There's probably some sort of controls on the wheel for manual gear selection, the newer Ford trucks all work that way too, and the column or console shifter just has PRND.
>>
>>14288651

Give it a try. It's a big chunk of steel that has an amazingly precise but resistive action through the gears. Like working a well-oiled rifle bolt.

Buttons you have to look at and are annoying to use with gloves on. And the extra space it frees up makes the truck feel 10x bigger on the inside. Considering it's a thing I touch maybe 4 times a day, I think they actually came up with a genius system for getting it out of my way.
>>
>>14288468
Column shifters are the shit mate what you talkin bout
>>
>>14288422
>work for enterprise
>am I an autist

You are a fucking water brain,fuck you.
God damned auga nogin
>>
>>14288422
>Accidentally click into reverse instead of neutral while in traffic.>Roll back into car behind you
>>
>>14288422
Well, your accelerator pedal is now drive-by-wire
Your brakes are all computer controlled so you can't do your own skid management
Steering is even going that way on some cars now, or Electric power steering at least
Key switches that actually turn off the engine when you turn them to "off" are a thing of the past
So, hey. Might as well relinquish any mechanical control you have over the vehicle's operation whatsoever... because computer glitches never happen, right?

I had a stuck accelerator in a 1993 mazda once.

I shifted into neutral, tried to pull the pedal up with my foot, didn't work.
Slowed down, pulled to the side of the road, key to off, fixed the f*king cable, and was back up and running safe and sound.

Modern car with a computer hangup, you just get to scream until the cuckbag er "airbag" stops you.
>>
>>14289323
This is just as big a problem as with a lever
IE nil
>>
File: shifter.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shifter.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>14289225

You haven't felt true bolt-action shifting until you've used a Winter's shifter.
>>
>>14288422
Chrysler put out this press release, saying they had invented this great new thing that freed up space on the center console.

Fucking column shifter anyone?
>>
>driving automatic

The defining moment when you've accepted being a cuck
>>
>>14289346
Yeah, and what a bunch of fuel injection pussies. Strong wapanese shitposter don't need no computer mapping his fuel air mixture.
>>
>>14289368
>Letting the oil pump, pump its own oil
>not having a hydraulic pedal that you pump while you drive to pump the oil
>>
>>14289225
Meh, doesn't really work that good, but you sure know when it's in D or P. Neutral is rarely used anyways, and R means you have to look at the shifter, but still, it's a good idea. It just frees up ablot of space,wihtout any disadvantages.
>>
>>14288422
>it frees up interior space
>it has audible clicks between gear
>you just ram it into D anyways
No downsides, really. Gear control is on the steering wheel anyways, doesn't need to be down there.
>>
>>14288548
Gear cobtrops are on the steering wheel, where they're easily accesible while driving.
It does provide tactile feedback.
It's not about aesthetics, it's about practicality.
>>
>>14289336
Column shifters clutter the space around the steering wheel. This does not.
>>
>>14289453
Column shifters are also much more mechanically complicated and require more per-application engineering.

I actually think this wheel thing is a brilliant idea, because it means Chrysler can make one "shifter" and use it in pretty much every car they make, and it's super-easy to integrate into dashboards compared to the complicated and bulky shifter surround and console parts for a traditional one, or engineering the column to have a big lever.
>>
It's an automatic.

Who gives a shit?

It was never destined to be cool in the first place.
>>
>>14289434
>>14289897

These, there's really no problem with it. It's boring but so are the cars they're on.
>>
>>14288651
They can make buttons, but that takes up even more space while providing zero benefit.
>>
>>14289323
You can't. The dial locks until the brake pedal is depressed. Don't be autistic.
>>
>>14288422
>Thats not cool.
>That's not heroic.
>For God sakes there's not even a satisfying click
between selecting gears.
Autocucks in a nutshell.
>>
File: 2013-jaguar-xfrs-shifter-knobjpg.jpg (841KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
2013-jaguar-xfrs-shifter-knobjpg.jpg
841KB, 2048x1360px
lol this isn't even new....jaguar and land rover have had them for a while too.
>>
u don't deserve stick if u drive auto, get used to it cuck
>>
>>14290585

This so much.
>>
>>14290585
This.
>>
>>14288488
>drive brothers new Benz
>select gear on wiper stick
>tfw
>>
>>14289323
You will get used to it in a matter of few days.
>>
File: download.jpg (54KB, 717x478px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
54KB, 717x478px
The 2016 Pilot gear selector.
>>
Thinking about buying this? Is it worth 76 usd? It looks pretty nice
>>
>>14290773
Touring model.
>>
File: 2017-Acura-NSX-Dashboard.jpg (190KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-Acura-NSX-Dashboard.jpg
190KB, 1200x800px
>>14290773
The 2017 NSX gear selector
>>
File: lincoln-mkz-gears.png (2MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln-mkz-gears.png
2MB, 2048x1360px
>>14290818
Lincoln MKZ gear selector
>>
File: $_1.jpg (23KB, 349x336px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
23KB, 349x336px
push button autos are great senpai
>>
File: 100_1643.jpg (158KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
100_1643.jpg
158KB, 800x533px
>>14289335
Nothing is quite as satisfying as the thunk you get with clutch less shifting sequential gearboxes
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My company car does this too. Fuck that shit.
>>
File: 34AH.jpg (17KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
34AH.jpg
17KB, 400x280px
>>14290818

>mfw NSX fanbois will defend this shit.
>>
Love the gearselector of the 458 special.
>>
>>14291627
+9001
>>
>>14291773
New Sports experimental

Has nothing to do with the old Nsx
>>
The dial is probably very convenient and space efficient, but you're right it does look odd.

Obviously, it would be much better if all controls in cars (excluding the throttle, brake, clutch, and steering) were voice activated. Then, the entire interior of the car could just be screens, cup holders, sunglasses compartments, and flat wooden & leather surfaces.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.