[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you damage your car for overfilling your gas tank? Everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

How can you damage your car for overfilling your gas tank?

Everyone keeps telling me the same but I do it most of the time. Btw is a car from 2006
>>
“By topping your fuel tank off, it can either overwhelm your evaporative system and break something or cause a hazardous leak by the excess pressure in the system,”

Overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vapor. Gas in the system can affect your car’s performance by causing it to run poorly, and damage the engine,
>>
It does terrible things to the evap system and that includes the charcoal canister. The canister in newer cars is not vented to the atmosphere like the older cars, so once saturated with raw gas, it doesn't clear after a few miles, it stays saturated for a while. This, of course, causes problems in the evap system and never ending 'check engine' codes. Other problems are raw gas mucking up evap sensors and valves, requiring them to be replaced. And some are not cheap. The evap system in newer cars is designed to sacrifice itself to prevent fuel spills from over-filling, so the constant punishment for over-topping the gas tank could lead to expensive repairs.
>>
Are you guys serious, damage from filling your fuel tank.........
>>
>>14277964
I have been doing it for years, I drive a 95 Ford Exploder and I overfill all the time with no problems
>>
Can you guys define overfilling?
Because what I usually do at the pump is fill it up until the pump locks, wait a few seconds so the fuel settles, activate the pump again until it locks again and call it a day.
Is this overfilling?
>>
>>14277983
Exactly what i do, i usually fill till i spill
>>
>>14277990
In my case it doesn't spill, I leave the pump all the way in when it locks because a few inches of fuel in the tank tube is not going to make a difference for me.

Anyway, now that I think of it, my mom's car ('15 Diesel Fiesta) has a sticker on the tank door that says to follow the same procedure, so I don't think this counts as overfilling.

I guess the evap system sits in a protrusion of the tank itself that will always be filled with air, no matter the amount of fuel you pour in (unless you raise the car on one side, but that's just stupid)
>>
Maybe 2 or 3 times a year I have filled the tank until I can se the fuel on the pipe. Usually when I'm going to get a long trip and burn half the fuel in the next few hours.

No problem to this day
>>
I have never heard of such bullshit. Gas stations doesn't want you doing it cause you spill gas. Which stains their concrete, and makes the station look shitty.
>>
>>14277983
Yes, you do that because you're a complete fucking retard. Because the 6 oz. of fuel your adding to the tank makes soooo much difference, right? Shit, I bet when you top off your tank like that you can drive like an extra month before you have to refill, right?
>>
>>14278799
>there is a built-in system in the pump that prevents the fuel from spilling
>there are cars that explicitly tell you to trigger that system
>no fuel spilled ever
>somehow that makes you a retard

'Aight
>>
>>14277938
Yes, you can damage the evaporative emissions system.
>>
>>14277983
>wait a few seconds so the fuel settles
The volume of the fuel doesn't change because it moved.
>>
>>14279039
>there are cars that explicitly tell you to trigger that system
[citation needed]
>>
>>14277969
Your old piece if shit isn't relevant to ops question
>>
>>14279274
Not the guy you responded to, but the owners manual for my Tahoe says to do exactly that
>>
File: 7.jpg (100KB, 800x478px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
100KB, 800x478px
>>14279274
Can't find any higher res picture, but this is the sticker inside the Fiesta fuel door.
It tells you to fill until the pump clicks
>>
>>14279313
Yeah, except it most certainly doesn't.
>>
>>14279053
Not the volume, but the fuel splashes a lot when it comes close to filling the tube, which always triggers the pump.
You wait a few seconds, the splashing stops and you can keep on filling.
It doesn't fill that much, mind you, you maybe get one extra second of fuel.
>>
>>14277983

>wait a few seconds so the fuel settles

Are you using carbonated fuel?
>>
>>14279331
Oh okay. Because you've memorized the manual for a vehicle you don't own. Go lay down.
>>
>>14279039
>>14279313
>>14279324
>itt full tilt retards
Yeah, it's specifically telling you to stop when the gas pump clicks and stops pumping the first time. It's specifically telling you not to continue pumping until the gas pump clicks again.
Because >>14279045 specifically.
>>14279362
No manual says this my friend, sorry. I've been a mechanic professionally since 1998.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160120-220046.png (485KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160120-220046.png
485KB, 1080x1920px
>>14279331
I guess they just wrote this on the owner's manual of my car to fool me then.
>>
>>14278038
>Which stains their concrete, and makes the station look shitty.

When I spill gas, I do them a favor and light it up so it doesn't stain. They always run out afterwards but I'm usually too busy to hang around and let them thank me fully. They're pretty loud and often red in the face from how intense their thanks are.
>>
>>14279373
Are you being serious right now?
>>
>>14279360
Underated
>>
>>14279369
>he doesn't realize that the first trigger is because fuel splashes back in the nozzle
>he doesn't realize that no matter how many times you try, you will never exceed the point where the nozzle ends
>he doesn't understand that I could fill my tank slowly, avoid splashes, and the tank would fill exactly the same as if I did the two triggers with the pump at full speed.
>he brings up professional knowledge that is absolutely irrelevant to understanding how fuel pumps work.

It's OK man, there is no need to grasp for arguments.
if they didn't want me to fill until the fuel is at the same exact level with the pump nozzles, they would make longer nozzles.
>>
>>14279369
I don't understand how all the things you say invalidate this post >>14279039
>>
>>14277938
Hold up, did that guy turn his van into a motel?

God Dam, why didn't I think of that? Would I need a special license or anything?
>>
File: 111111.png (229KB, 1298x641px) Image search: [Google]
111111.png
229KB, 1298x641px
>>14279369
there you go Mr Mechanic
maybe this photorealistic drawing of the situation will help you understand
>>
>>14279558
>no overfilling
Except you are.
>>
>>14279595
The nozzle doesn't move.
The nozzle blocks any other fuel from going past that level.

I don't see how this is overfilling.

It would be overfilling if you pulled the nozzle out a little bit to put more fuel without triggering it, but this is not the case
>>
>>14279558
>Implying there should be fuel in the filler neck when the tank is full. Your picture shows an overfill situation.
>>
>>14279666
OK genius, then explain this>>14279373
Because the tube is pretty much filled when the nozzle cuts out.

So what's the solution? Doing the math so you put exactly the fuel needed to fill the tank but not the tube?
>>
>>14279648
Because the auto shutoff works by being submerged in fuel.
>>
>>14279717
>pump is designed so it cuts off at a specified fuel level
>car owner's manual explicitly say to trigger the cut off mechanism
>somehow this is overfilling

Ok
>>
>>14279439

What I really likes its the Motel fee

>Thin girls $25
>Old girls 15% off
>Fat girls "FREE"
>>
>>14279558
if you have gas in the filler neck as described in the pic, you've already overfilled.

What worse is that the idiots who do over fill, are probably that gas due to evaporation and slosh as the car moves anyways.

So you're purposely wasting money overfilling.
>>
>>14280385
nobody explained this yet >>14279373

It is perfectly normal to fill until the nozzle stops, if it wasn't, you can bet your ass off that manufacturers would find a way to prevent that.

no, you don't spill gas when taking turns unless something is broken.
no, you don't lose any fuel by evaporation any more than the one you lose normally (and I could argue fuel evaporates more the emptier the tank is).

but hey, if not filling the fuel neck in your car makes you feel safer and smarter, then I won't be the one telling you to stop.
>>
>>14280418
You do realize the slosh goes into the evap system and you lose it that way.

As well as filler necks are not designed to hold fuel permanently as typically they're just a hose with pipe clamps on it. Oh and don't forget about the weep holes that are present on some filler necks the top to prevent spill when pulling the nozzle out of the filler neck.

So yes slosh will cause loss of fuel.
>>
What the fuck, /o/
You can't overfill your tank. Once it's full, it's full.

At least half of you are retarded
>>
>>14280225
The man has good taste.
>>
>>14280439
You are assuming fuel can make it up to outside the filler cap and drain through the holes, which doesn't happen.

Also fuel doesn't get into the evap system under normal driving conditions with a full tank, it's fucking designed to be filled up and the evap is put inside recesses in the tank where fuel can't get unless you roll over.

God why are you insisting on saying that doing a thing exactly as the manufacturer of your fucking car says is going to break something?

Fuel nozzles are standard, they all work the same way, filler necks are designed to work with said standard nozzles and if the owner's manual of my car specifically tells me to wait until the neck is full and the nozzle stops pumping, you can fucking bet it won't damage anything.
>>
>>14280439
>You do realize the slosh goes into the evap system and you lose it that way.
The fumes from the evaporative system go into the engine, which is the tradition place for the contents of your fuel tank
>As well as filler necks are not designed to hold fuel permanently as typically they're just a hose with pipe clamps on it
As are radiator hoses, some high pressure fuel lines, transmission cooler lines...
>Oh and don't forget about the weep holes that are present on some filler necks the top to prevent spill when pulling the nozzle out of the filler neck
Where do you think those holes go? They drain back into the fucking tank. Do you honestly think in this day and age that manufacturers design systems that spill raw fuel every time you fill up?

>So yes slosh will cause loss of fuel.
Are you inventing terms now? Fuels sloshes in the tank. Less when it's full, more when it's empty. Should your tank pressurise, the fumes - and only the fucking fumes - are held in the charcoal cannister until they are purged into your intake to be burned during combustion. There is no way that having a full tank - where the fuel has less room to slosh and aerate - can cause more evaporation than a half full tank

good fucking lord
>>
>>14277949
/thread

I can't believe this is even a discussion.
>>
>>14280439
>filler necks are not designed to hold fuel permanently

this is the stupidest shit ever
>>
>there are people in this thread still arguing against this
>>14279373
>>14279324

you have the definition of overfilling right there with the correct procedure to avoid it and you guys keep insisting this shit somehow is wrong and breaks your car.
fuck you guys are stupid
>>
autism
>>
File: VW.jpg (155KB, 964x485px) Image search: [Google]
VW.jpg
155KB, 964x485px
>>14277958

Had to replace multiple N80 valves and canisters on my 2003 VW Passat, not fun or cheap
>>
>>14279373
Are you fucking retarded? Please point at where it says to "wait a few seconds and pump until it clicks a SECOND TIME" you absolute madman.
>>
>>14280679
see>>14281828
>>
>>14281800
>>14281800
without weighing in on this whole debate, I think it's unfair to use a VW as an example of a typical problem. Mainly because they're fucking shithouse, and have such hilariously bad build quality that I'm convinced the Germs are just building them to get back at the world for WW2
>>
>>14279360
Not that anon but when I fuel up at arco I can usually fit another gallon in the tank by waiting aout 10 seconds after the pump initially stops.

....so yeah i'm pretty sure arco gas is the black cherry soda of gasoline.

It happens at eery arco I go to so it's gotta be whatever particular cleaning additives (or maybe they really are running their fountain co2 through the pumps) they have in their batch, kinda like chevron has techron and shell has power or is it nitrogen bullshit snakeoil now?
>>
>>14281940
V-power
>>
>>14281828
It doesn't, but it doesn't change the fact that the fuel will never go past the nozzle, see >>14279558.
I could pump the fuel slowly, avoid splashes, reach the maximum level, trigger the cut out mechanism and it would be just the same as clicking two times when pumping fast.
So, are you going to tell me "oh my god are you retarded? please tell me where it says PUMP THE FUEL SLOWLY" or will you stop with retarded arguments?

Also, people were arguing that the filler neck is not supposed to be filled with fuel, which is wrong too.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.