[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the self-driving car market comprised mostly of young adults

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10

File: derp.jpg (48KB, 551x492px) Image search: [Google]
derp.jpg
48KB, 551x492px
Is the self-driving car market comprised mostly of young adults who grew up with minivan dvd players as their babysitter?
>>
>>14233240
>they will never know the joy, freedom and glory of the automobile

But hey, at least they played xbox in the back of the van?
>>
>>14233240

Pretty much.

Young kids nowadays have no interest in cars or driving.

Once the technology is available and affordable, self-driving cars will be the norm
>>
>>14233240
Newsflash: most of the population hates driving. You might also want to know that the sky is blue and water is wet.
>>
>I could read a book
>take a nap
>watch a movie
Things you can do in public transit
>>
>>14233311

/o/ lives in their own version of reality. Haven't you noticed?
>>
>>14233240
>like reddit
>hate redditors
>all circlejerk over muh tesla self driving car can't wait until my self driving google car will be available and have my own roads with no traffic and get discounted insurance and the only legitimate reason I can think of having one is because on the off chance that I go drinking because I am a social fuck up I want to not drink and drive instead of taking a cab I want to spend thousands of dollars on a shitty car I'll NEED once twice a year

Fuck reddit
>>
>>14233240
>spent childhood in the front seat while dad was hooning in the volksvagina
>love driving

Makes sense.
>>
>>14233311
>most
How do you know?? Most people in my high school were pretty excited about driving and got licenses asap

But I'm not american so it might just be social differences
>>14233324
U dutch or smth?
>>
>>14233460
It's because of the novelty. Once it wears off, and especially when it becomes a chore, that's when they get tired of it.
>>
>>14233354
>I want to spend thousands of dollars on a shitty car I'll NEED once twice a year
You only drive once a year? Makes sense with the rest of the stupidity you vomited onto your keyboard.
>>
>>14233302
Fucking normalfags
>>14233322
This god i hate my generation
>>
>>14233354
>visit /r/cars
>they talk about while driving is enjoyable, not having retards in control of car souls be nice
>/o/ says basically the same thing
>>
>>14233482
>how to show you aren't american: the post
learn to fucking read paco.
>>
>>14233240

More people = more drivers = more traffic = driving sucks

I think most people like this probably live in dense areas.

They don't know the joys of hitting 100mph on fresh paved backroad highways with no cops for 50 miles in your straight piped shitbox.
>>
>>14233240
>finally save up to buy a cheap little roadster for myself
>"Wow anon, why would you waste money on that?" they ask as they drive away in their newly financed crossover

Why are they allowed to exist?
>>
>>14233508

Not all of us are rural NEETs
>>
>>14233488
Shit gets terrible when you factor in normal driving situations.

>Self driving cars would probably follow a GPS and only use a posted speed limit
>Interstate becomes a nightmare due to everyone driving 70mph
>>
>>14233522

> That's 40 over the speed they drive at now
>>
File: 1452291386694.jpg (16KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452291386694.jpg
16KB, 329x500px
>>14233512
>"Why do you drive such a shitty wagon, Anon? Why not just get an SUV?"
>Drives away in a Crossover
>>
>>14233533
Can you imagine the congestion though?

Nobody passing, nobody speeding, nobody getting off the fucking Interstate quickly.
>>
I used to live in Queens NYC and now I live in rural Colorado. My family in NY still cringes everytime I tell them it takes 45 minutes to go to the grocery store. However, they don't realize that it's 45 minutes of relaxing driving down a mostly empty, paved 2 lane road. They think of 45 minutes of traffic instantly. So I do understand why some of those people would want self driving cars.
>>
>>14233522
Current self driving cars use a mixture of GPS, a locally stored map of the road, and cameras/LIDAR that interpret whats actually around them. They'll adjust to speed of traffic if needed. And though it will take a while because politics, speed limits on highways could theoretically be abolished.

They still have a long way to go though.
>>
>>14233549
>all cars in synch
>all brake at the same time
>all gas at the same time
>allow merging to be done quickly
>cars queue up properly and change lanes ahead of time
Sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>14233521

No one is stopping you from becoming one.
>>
>>14233568
>all drive off a cliff at the same time
That'll thin the herd.
>>
File: fuckoff.gif (609KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
fuckoff.gif
609KB, 320x180px
>>14233485
Ooh look everyone! We have a special snowflake!
>>
>>14233311
most people drive shitty cars and on shitty roads, is it drivings fault for being shitty or did we ruin it for ourselves?
>>
>>14233577
Where the fuck is the cliff?
>LIDAR senses road is not there
>stops the car
>>
>>14233624
>hacked
>>
>>14233653
>le car hacking boogeyman
>>
>>14233611
Straight grid roads make the most sense for getting from a to b in a timely manner, and most people view a car the same way we view a washing machine.
>>
>>14233559

I would think it would be longer in NY considering how fucking awful the traffic congestion is there. I had an old New Yorker tell me he and his wife were freaked out by how fast everything (traffic) moved in AZ.
>>
>>14233660
>le
Get your ass back to /b/
>>
>>14233660
>>14233660

OGGA BOOGA
>>
>>14233660

>implying the chinese wouldn't be hacking the shit on day 2 after it was released
>>
>>14233705
>having the network open to the Internet
>>
>>14233653
>lemme just use this wifi shit to hack into your closed systems
>>
>>14233730
You dumb?
It uses GPS, Bluetooth, and 4G.
That's not closed.
>>
>>14233783
For the communications system, the systems that control driving are closed off.
>>
>>14233793
nope. theyre on the same board.
>>
>>14233809
>theyre in the same board
And that makes them automatically hackable because digital systems on the same board are just left openly connected, right?
>>
>>14233828
yes..
>>
>>14233862
You are stupid.
>>
It's not like driving a vehicle is even hard nowadays. I enjoy driving my manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, carburetor vehicle with no AC or heat.
>>
>>14233894
>manual brakes
>manual steering
Enjoy arm and leg pain
>>
File: ego raptor has a long face.gif (992KB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
ego raptor has a long face.gif
992KB, 240x135px
it's made up of people who dislike cars because insurance rates are sky high thanks to various regulations and are drowning in student debt with sub-par degrees and were brought up in a time where cars were considered wasteful and unnecessary (compared to public transport) but the liberal left

a confluence of factors
>>
File: 1447130110180.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447130110180.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>driving is hard/boring
It is only hard if you are in a congested hell hole which in that case you should be using the far superior public transit.

The only way I can see it being boring is if you have a short attention span, and are the kind of retard who must be entertained constantly.

The best use of time during long drives I have seen is putting on an audiobook/lecture instead of music. This has made me look forward to every drive I make, is a great method of relaxation.
>>
>>14233559
Unrelated but I live in Staten Island , always wondered how hard it was to adjust to life out of nyc.I was considering moving to Colorado at one point would you suggest it ?
>>
>>14233541
>wagon fag thinks he is cool

top kek
>>
>>14234486
you are a domesticated human, move out of NYC if you want to get fucked up by life.
>>
File: 1451587539137.jpg (12KB, 439x222px) Image search: [Google]
1451587539137.jpg
12KB, 439x222px
>>14234590
>Non-wagon fag thinks he's cool

I'm cooler than cool, I'm ice cold, baby.
>>
File: 1437163586561.png (151KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1437163586561.png
151KB, 449x442px
>could be considered a young kid by most here

>Friends only talk about how good the interior of a car is or how good the touchscreen is

>Self-driving cars are going to be great, anon!

>Manual? Isn't that for old cars

>Hey anon, what's this gauge next to the mph thing mean?
>>
I dont get it, why would they want a car if they dont want to drive? Just use the bus / cab damn it.
>>
>>14234679
as an upside, your friends are probably shitty drivers that text and drive, so replacing them with drive-bots isn't such a bad thing

perhaps some folks will get so bored by autonomous driving they'll buy cheap weekend cars and we'll see a resurgence in interest?
>>
>>14234437
>public transit
Fuck off
>>
>>14234696
What? Upset that in high congest areas public transit is a superior alternative to driving?

Are you going to tell me right now that being a car enthusiast in a tightly packed urban environment isn't suffering?
>>
>>14233240
>americans cant take a car trip without watching tv
kek
>>
>>14234111
It's called not being a little bitch
>>
>>14233560
We'd be seeing more self driving cars now if most of the states didn't fucking ban them and require a person at the wheel.
>>
>>14234714
>MUH AMERICANS REEE
Grow up
>>
>>14233577
>all drive off a cliff at the same time
The funniest thing about this is that this already happens. Along with countless other accidents that happen on a daily basis.
>>
File: shut_the_fuck_up1.jpg (69KB, 798x493px) Image search: [Google]
shut_the_fuck_up1.jpg
69KB, 798x493px
>>14234714
>>
>>14233354
>le reddit boogeyman
>>
>>14233276
don't know how that's a bad thing.
>tfw my dad used to drive a conversion van with a Nintendo hooked up to the TV
>Mario bros on vacation
>tfw every day without a kick ass chevy van is suffering
>>
File: 5y774457.png (261KB, 604x335px) Image search: [Google]
5y774457.png
261KB, 604x335px
I share the fear, like most of us, that this is another checkpoint on the road towards actual driving being outlawed/outdated and no longer possible in the future, killing just about everything about my hobby and interest that is auto.

Even still I'm "happy" about these changes. There are so goddamned many people who are absolutely terrible drivers who should not ever have gotten their licenses and who has zero interest in becoming a better driver or practice anything that you could call "safe" or "efficient" driving. They become bored, they text, they drive under the influence of alcohol and other drugs, they don't understand how a car handles, they don't understand conditions and terrain and they have absolutely no ability to think ahead or hold any thought on what to do incase something is to happen that is actually not caused by themselves.

These people are the ones who create the absolute majority of accidents, both miniature accidents where you slightly touch someones bumper with zero damage and the ones where you kill a small family. As much as I love my hobby I see a greater "need" for this if we want to prevent as many deaths and casualties in traffic as physically possible
>>
Why is driving such a chore to some people? I have so much fun with it I can't understand why somebody would think it's THAT boring.
>>
>>14235114
going down the same route over and over again, often very featureless and tedious.
>>
File: Fox2.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Fox2.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Grew up before the age of in-cab entertainment. Just took a 130mi drive with my Dad to go pickup an old Foxbody I just bought and had good conversation and taking in / talking about the scenery.

Fuck, can't people just talk anymore without digital distractions?
>>
What car do I buy that'll last me a long time, but doesn't have all the modern bullshit
>>
I went on a daylong road trip in my gutted weekend car with my gf, it has no radio. She also agreed not to text the whole time. We learned so much new stuff about each other on that trip, despite having been dating for over a year at that point. It was great.

Technology is slowly but surely chipping away at human interaction, it seems.
>>
>>14235114
>I have so much fun with it I can't understand why somebody would think it's THAT boring.

Because you're a teenager. You'll get tired of it as you get older.
>>
>>14233322
Came here to say this

It's beyond me why people insist on having a car if they don't even like driving. Where I live everyone is so fucking against the idea of funding mass transit, yet they bitch and complain about traffic congestion and subsequent commute times, even though they would never give up ownership of their massive landyachts.

As someone who enjoys driving for fun it'd be nice if there was an option to not drive OR own a car, but where I live it's simply not possible to go anywhere fast without a car. If people really don't like cars or driving, why don't they give up all the money sunk into car payments, gas, insurance and repairs and get on a train or a bus? Is it because they think sharing a coach with somebody is beneath them? They'd even get to watch, listen, read and nap all they damn please...
>>
>>14233240
I hate what this means for the industry. Once the tech is cheap enough to put in every crossover/family luxobarge, it's over.

But being a student in college, the number of people who drive drunk/high and text with NO consideration for anyone or anything but their stupid, narrow, pointless constant communication and social distraction that I wouldn't mind if they took the automated short bus to nannyland

Just leave me and my autonomy alone
>>
>>14235144
>can't people just talk anymore

Where I live, everyone drives alone. hence entertainment is a thing. I can get along fine just listening to music and driving for hours while I enjoy the world moving past me, but I suppose I'm in the minority with that.
>>
>>14235144
No.

Most people are soulless, interestless, attention-starved husks that live to be noticed and consume pop media and produce and re-produce and die and any convenience that will shuttle them along will be the "next big thing"

>edge
>>
>>14234939
>my parents paid thousands of dollars to bring us to unique and interesting places and I'm proud that I decided to play computer games instead of interacting with them
>>
>>14234866
>>14234932
mad af
>>
>>14234689
I always figured this, or at least something like this
I hated the idea of autonomous cars until a friend of mine put it this way
The way he figures is that, with the distinction between commuting and sport, companies would have their self-driving shit-boxes, and their sports divisions would focus strictly on performance cars for tracks
I think there's going to be a huge emphasis on track-days and racetracks in the future, kind of like what happened with horses and horseriding
Maybe it'll be a good thing
Since these performance cars will be used almost strictly for track racing, they'll be uncompromised racing machines since they won't need to follow any stupid street regulations
Sure, it'll suck that we won't be able to drive on public roads anymore, but maybe because of this, tracks will be more opened
Maybe there will be a time of pure and genuine (and maybe even cheap, since they don't need to meet any tech standards) performance oriented cars
>>
>>14233711
Like it won't be so Normie McCuck can't update his Facebook, Twitter and Instagram every five minutes while being sitting in traffic.
>>
>>14235231
I was speaking as in the company of others in a vehicle, similar to OP's meaning.
>>
>>14235247
People who aren't attention-deprived retards don't want to spend every waking moment with other people.
>>
>>14233793
>For the communications system, the systems that control driving are closed off.

Let me tell you this now m8, if someone is determined enough, ANYTHING that is transmitted over air can be decoded and manipulated, or "hacked", if you prefer that term.
>>
>>14233322
Yeah, things you can do on public transit if you like being robbed/missing your stop

Public transportation in USA is for the homeless, niggers, and illegals.

>>14233549
Self driving cars might actually stay to the right instead of sitting a 55 in the left lane.

Or go flying across 4 lanes because they just gotta make that exit, can't just take the next one and loop around.

>>14235463
Stupidest thing I've read on 4chan in a long time.
>>
>>14235325
>People build next to race track
>Complain about noise from race track
>race track is closed.

On a serious note, in my area there are about 1/3 of the tracks there were 30 years ago. All that remain are noise, or possible number of days open restricted. This drives up the price and means a short squirt on a track becomes an expensive exercise.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.