[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Van Living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 1452244321567.png (228KB, 1192x830px) Image search: [Google]
1452244321567.png
228KB, 1192x830px
Anybody here have experience living in a van?

Work had me move to San Francisco and only raised my wage by $5000 per year, when cost of living increased exponentially from Florida. I simply can't afford the rent here, so I was thinking about building a van to live out of. I already found a place I can keep a van and only have to pay monthly for showers and shits. I priced out the estimated total cost of a build being around $9000 for a high quality one, and a van being an additional $30k. This is already cheaper than living in a small studio apartment, and that's not counting utilities.

I'm already used to living small given I was homeless during high school.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I was looking at a 2014 Ford Transit XL with an extended roof. It only has 9k miles on it, and it is in the configuration I need. All I would need to do is take a week to build it and get everything working.
>>
File: 1452281018085.gif (2MB, 237x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452281018085.gif
2MB, 237x300px
One bump before I go to sleep
>>
>>14229937
Bump for you OP, good luck on your project!
>>
You could buy a nice double wide for 39k
>>
>>14229822
why the fuck would you move somewhere where you effectively make significantly less than you already did? Yeah, bigger number, but if you can't afford to live in an apartment like you did before, you dun fucked up.
>>
>>14229822
you should save some money and not get something this new i think
>>
File: 20150702_120943.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150702_120943.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Van/RV here.

First: make sure there are no leaks. I didn't, and now I pay for it with a leaky roof over the main bed area.

Second: having a bathroom makes a world of difference over living near gym/truckstop/Walmart. There is piece of mind knowing you have your own bathroom.

Third: check all electrical, both DC and AC. DC is easy, AC requires someone with knowledge.

Finally, RV parks can be awesome, because of security and safety, and aren't too expensive. Even down here in Florida, I can get places for $310-360 a month, including electric and water.

Best part is, you already have a moving van and you are sorta a home owner. Just remember to run the generator and front engine every other week and put fuel stabilizer so it doesn't gel/collect water. My RV was under 5k, and I pay far less then anyone in my area.
>>
Did you vandwellers get a PO Box for your mail?

Can you get your DMV paperwork sent there?
>>
>>14230474
Yes and yes. Some PO places also let you set an address that acts like an apartment.
>>
>>14229822
SF is a warren of steep narrow streets, vagrants, and angry Chinese. There are no trailer parks or Walmarts. Where you gonna park it?
>>
>>14230418
>RV parks
>security and safety
I really doubt this one.
>>
>>14230520
The safe ones require new 40+ foot RV's
>>
File: 20150826_171656.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150826_171656.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>14230520
Place I live in is mainly old people and seasonal workers. You're prolly thinking trailer parks. Totally different.
>>
>>14229822
>Work had me move to San Francisco and only raised my wage by $5000 per year, when cost of living increased exponentially from Florida.

You're a fucking moron. Why did you move when they were only offering such a small raise? Why would you WILLINGLY go to San Fransisco at all?!
>>
>>14230610
Trailer dweller here, I lived in a KOA for a year in a tiny town. Had a neighbor almost get robbed but luckily he had just left, and his wife was in the trailer and called him back with his gun. There was a chase sequence in trucks, and eventually he cornered him and waited for the cops to show up. he was the first trailer on the lot. I think it coulda ended up very differently. Biggest downside to a trailer/RV is that everyone knows the score. They're easy to break into, they have someone's life in there, the person usually isn't a local, and they're gone often enough or feeble enough that it makes confrontations a non-issue.
>>
>>14230418
>>14230610
So do you live in an RV park year round? Do the parks allow you to do that, or do you have to move around different parks periodically?

Kinda tempted to do that myself Assuming I can find a decent cheap RV I'd end up saving a ton of money over renting. Do that for a few years and save up to buy/build a house.
>>
>>14230828
RV parks aren't like recreational parks/national parks. They're just setup up outside of towns, and allow retirees to park there by a nightly/weekly/monthly basis. They have 30 and 50amp hookups and water hookups. Lots of them also have showers and cooking areas in case your trailer isn't fully equipped/too cramped.

If you wanted to go to a national park and setup there, you could provided you're in a spot where parking is allowed, and move after two weeks. I knew a few guys who'd just pack up and move to a different lot in the same area every couple of weeks, and drive in for work. There's a caveat though: you don't have electrical or water hookups.
>>
>>14231152
> They're just setup up outside of towns, and allow retirees to park there by a nightly/weekly/monthly basis. They have 30 and 50amp hookups and water hookups.
Kinda what I'm looking for actually. Trying to avoid the high rent in my area. I don't mind paying some rent, but cost of living in the Northeast is absurd.

> If you wanted to go to a national park and setup there, you could provided you're in a spot where parking is allowed, and move after two weeks. I knew a few guys who'd just pack up and move to a different lot in the same area every couple of weeks, and drive in for work.
I've heard of that, though I thought this was mostly out west. I'm guessing not much of that in New Jersey.
>>
>>14231205
>New Jersey
I've heard there is a lot of homeless living in the Pine Barrens now.
>>
File: 1451669618793.jpg (56KB, 606x339px) Image search: [Google]
1451669618793.jpg
56KB, 606x339px
>>14229822
What kind of dipshit moves for work without verifying that
A. it's a good place to live
B. the pay increase is more than enough to offset the cost of living (at least TRIPLE the amount to offset cost of living)
>>
>>14230474
Yep, UPS stores also work as well.

>>14230418
Thanks dude, I'll look into everything. My budget isn't too high (around $50k total), and I really don't need much to live on. Just a place to sleep and cook simple meals. I'm trying to draw up schematics for the Transit XLE, and it's not much different from the amenities I had for 3 years in high school. I actually had less available to me back then.

>>14230654
Haven't moved yet, and I'm trying to re-negotiate my salary but Boeing isn't budging right now.

>>14231723
See above. Still have 3 weeks to move.
>>
>>14232324
I'd suggest looking for a room for rent somewhere but then I remebered that i turned down work in santacruz because the "best" rent I could find was 500 dollars a month for an army cot in someone's kitchen.... and that's only if I didn't eat meat while on the premesis...

Can only imagine it'd be so much worse in sf itself. I'd suggest looking at some of the outlying communities, especially ones built on say.. the continental plate and not say right on a clusterfuck of fault lines, sand dunes and fill material.

Good luck fellow stalker!
>>
>>14232408
Additional bits, the entire ay area is fairly interconnected with rapid transit options and it may take complicated routing, but itms possible to live, I'd say as far south as maybe even morgan hill and reliably work in sf. That and there's a clusterfuck of freeways through the area (though the 101 at times can be a clusterfuck just in and of itself because many driers in bumper to bumper conditions means one lemming doing the wrong thing and it all slows down.
>>
>>14232324
>and I'm trying to re-negotiate my salary but Boeing isn't budging right now.

You're not good at negotiating. It's time to leave the company, it is *NOT* worth it to relocate for a $5,000/yr raise! It's fucking RETARDED. You aren't getting a raise, you're taking A PAY CUT. Moving and rent increase will cost WAY more than that!

DO NOT take that job, it's a net decrease in quality of life. Tell them to make the offer based on 3x the increase in cost of living, or find someone else. For example; $9,000/yr cost of living increase, MINIMUM $27,000/yr raise.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.