[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /o/ I want to buy a manual car but I'm not confident

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1452607058320.gif (538KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1452607058320.gif
538KB, 300x222px
hey /o/
I want to buy a manual car but I'm not confident in my abilities yet.
I've only practiced driving my brother's manual in an empty parking lot a few times, but was too shook to take the car to the roads.

I know how to drive manuals, I understand the concept and everything, but I have very little hands on experience (unless you count racing sims lol).

How fucked am I if I go to a dealership and ask for a test drive even though I suck? Asking for lessons from my brother isn't possible anymore because he moved out of state and I don't have any friends who drive a stick.

Help me /o/
>>
Tell the dealership it's been a few years since you drove stick.
That only works if you're not a fucking teenager though.
>>
File: 1449732213017.png (919KB, 1502x873px) Image search: [Google]
1449732213017.png
919KB, 1502x873px
>>14227564
I'm 20.
Do you think they would get angry if I stalled it? That's my biggest worry. Or just straight up crashing.
>>
it blows my mind that people in other countries dont learn manual by default.
>>
>>14227576
No they won't get angry but they probably won't take you very seriously.
>>
>>14227576
You can ride my stick sailor
>>
File: Snapchat-742224900615240675.jpg (549KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-742224900615240675.jpg
549KB, 1080x1920px
The only way you're gonna learn is by doing it. Took me like 3 days to get it and I'm only getting better
>>
i was in the same situation, have a friend or parent test drive then buy and learn to drive in your streets, did it.for my first xcar and I learned within a week
>>
as much as /o/ rags on reddit they're pretty nice folks. if you ask for help driving stick in your area you'll probably get a guy to offer lessons in exchange for beer or something
>>
They want a sale and there's no way you're going to do any noticeable damage to the clutch in the period of time that they'll own the car.

Most good salesmen will start throwing pointers your way, because it'll make them much more trustworthy and liked, which leads to a sale.

Most people are absolute garbage at actually driving stick anyway here I'm the states,so they probably won't even notice.
>>
>>14227550
keep driving your brothers car, I just started a last year and wasn't super comfortable until I had about 20-30 hours of driving in
>>
>>14227594
In the US, manual cars are very rare. It's just the culture here, nobody learns stick when they're 16 because hardly anybody drives them here.

I've had people ask me why I would ever get a manual car and I say "for fun" and they look at you like you have 2 heads
>>
>>14227550
buy shitbox off craigslist.
stall it all the way home
>>
>>14227550
It's been a while since this but I went to buy my first manual with only a few hours practice a few years prior so I was a complete noob. I just had one of their guys drive the car (which was just some shitbox) with me and I just took notice of them driving the car and asked how it felt. Bought it after then drove it for an hour to get back home and probably stalled at least 5 times but made it ok, basically just do it OP.
>>
>>14227550
Focus on smooth launches from a stop and practice on small hills if you can away from traffic. This will be the most frustrating thing in traffic, you are gonna sweat your balls off the first few times on the road but just keep going.

The second step would be downshifting smoothly, you can do rev matching or just wait for your rpms to get low and shift down.

After I learned how to launch smoothly and rev match downshift driving was cake.
>>
>>14228662
I bought my FiST with 6k miles on it without knowing stick and they did basically the same thing. Took about a week of driving to very really consistent but it's totally worth learning.
>>
>>14228629
>very rare
yeah... not really
>>
>>14228629
Nobody learns stick because nobody buys manuals. Nobody buys manuals because nobody learns stick.
>>
I was a salesman once. This african dude was interested in buying a manual dodge dart, but he didn't know how to drive a manual.

I offered to teach him for free one day after work. I let him use my 81 corolla and we spent about four hours on some backroads between my house and the dealership.

He didn't buy the car.
>>
>>14230814
RIP clutch.
>>
File: 1396018337375.png (906KB, 785x850px) Image search: [Google]
1396018337375.png
906KB, 785x850px
>tfw have at least 3 friends who want me to teach them how to drive stick
>>
>>14228629
Rare? I would say half the people where i live drive stick
>>
I have a friend who was buying a decent car for the first time off a lot. He asked my opinion and there was a sick green Subaru Outback 5-speed that I basically told him he would be an idiot not to take but he was scared to learn manual and has a problem freezing up under stress so he bought a turbo PT Cruiser instead which blew up on him within a month and his grandparents made the lot take back and swap for a non-SS Cobalt. Meh but at least not totally queer.

Ever since I started driving manual there's no way I'd go back because they let me squeeze acceptable MPGs out of V8s, not to mention the fact that they're much more durable and if they DO break, much simpler to repair.
>>
>>14228629
>>14230734
>>14230800

This is correct about sticks in the US.

Joe Blow American does not know how to drive stick. And few places teach it.

Don't believe me? Call up local driving schools. If you call 50 driving schools you'll be lucky if 5 offer lessons on driving stick or even have a stick to teach on.

For the most part the only people who drive sticks are either people who have an above average appreciation for cars or work jobs with manual vehicles.

>>14230825
Where do you live? I'm guessing there is a particular reason for it skewed by demographic.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.