[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If racing tires are flat and smooth if you wear out the treads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: BsW3w-XIIAAGImB.jpg (39KB, 599x398px) Image search: [Google]
BsW3w-XIIAAGImB.jpg
39KB, 599x398px
If racing tires are flat and smooth if you wear out the treads of your tires completely then they would become performance tires then. Right?
>>
No, there's no sticky rubber underneath your treads. Racing slicks wear out even faster, sometimes when all the sticky rubber is gone and sometimes earlier if the rubber compound is a sort that only remains sticky for a certain number of heat cycles. This should really go in that stupid questions thread.
>>
>>14220555
yes
>>
>>14220555
Not really, race tires are made of a different rubber compound.
>>
>>14220577
Sorry I was just wondering how to make my brz faster. I'm a car enthusiasts but don't know a lot about the mechanical side of cars. Is there anything else I can do with immediate results? Looking more for slapping parts on types of things. Maybe a spoiler to increase downforce and therefore traction?
>>
>>14220599
Tires are the cheapest way to increase performance dramatically. Buy some r-compound streetable tires like Toyo R888s if you want to be super sticky. You don't want slicks for the street, they're useless in the rain and they take a lap or so to heat up before they get grippy and you want grip immediately on the street. You may even want to take it back a notch from R888s and go for Dunlop ZIIs or something. After you have some decent rubber just save money for a turbo or that TRD factory supercharger. Nothing else is worth your time to upgrade before that.

If you really want to go faster though an even more effective part to tune is the nut behind the wheel. Start going to HPDEs and Track Night in America and other such events.
>>
>>14220686
Not him, but I considered getting a supercharger on my Toyota 86. Ex-mechanic dad said it might not be the best idea, strapping extra horses to an engine and driveline that doesn't support it. Could apparently throw up issues with the clutch, diff and engine bottom, among others. I might consider it again waaaaaaaay down the line, but considering I only bought the car like a month ago, I think I'll drive stock for a tad.
>>
>>14220686
Hmm okay. The tires that came with the car are apparently prius tires? They're really small and shitty and the rims are also pretty shitty. I'll definitely get new tires, it definitely needs that even though it's like a week out from the dealership. Any rims you recommend with tires? Should I get some 19 inches?

I'm not trying to do anything drastic besides slap on parts because it's under warranty.

There are meets nearby but they all have MR2s and Miatas and I don't want to be known as that brz guy if you know what I mean. They are kind of intimidating.

>>14220702
Yeah the car has plenty of horsepower and I've heard stories about the boxer engine not being friendly to heavy modding. Maybe WAYYYYY down the line but the car really pulls hard as is. I just want to soup it up a bit.
>>
>>14220780
Mmmmm. Dunno about 'tons' of horsepower, but it's good for what it is. A mate said good tyres, good exhaust, and an ECU tune is a good place to start.
>>
>>14221116
>Dunno about 'tons' of horsepower
Oh fucking look another fucking gay miata fag trying to troll again

Get the fuck out with your bullshit and get the fuck out of my thread

Go have fun with your buyers remorse hairdresser piece of shit car, it's not even practical or good for DD grow the fuck up
>>
>>14221426
Hey man take it easy on the guy
>>
>>14221426
> another gay miata fag
Hahahaha are you for fucking real? I'm the guy who said I OWN a fucking 86 you dopey cunt. The fact of the matter is that it's not a fucking supercar, and it has a wicked torque drop.

I fucking love my 86, it's fun and going through twisty parts are great. However, I'm not tricking myself into thinking it's super-powerful or super-fast. It's great for what it is, but it's not going to roll with Porche 911's or GT-Rs or anything.
>>
>track pads
>camber bolts in the front
>tune the nut behind the wheel
>>
File: sexy.jpg (142KB, 1280x774px) Image search: [Google]
sexy.jpg
142KB, 1280x774px
>>14220555
Yes, absolutely without a doubt.

>>14221484
>>
>>14221484
>Hahahaha
Get real faggot. You're clearly a fucking miata troll gay faggot shit licker. The BRZ has no proven torque drop all that shit is just photoshop, learn to rev your boxer engine harder and downshift you fucking noob. You're not even a car enthusiasts, BRZs have so much power and they're so light they go so fast so fast and so hard they pull hard man.

I'm so sick of these trolls. Jealous the BRZ is literally one of the best cars of the last decade these will be collectibles.
>>
File: stop_baiting.jpg (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
stop_baiting.jpg
54KB, 625x626px
>>14221545
>>
>>14221548
I know that guy who says he has an 86 is a troll but poser brz owners get me hard on this site.
>>
>>14221545
>>14221556
Would you like a timestamped picture of my 86? Shouldn't be an issue.

To be fair, almost everything I've learned about how absolutely terrible it is, I've learned from here. That being said, just by driving it, I've noticed it's missing a little something something down low, but that's about it.
>>
>>14221568
Who gives a fuck bitch
>>
>>14221604
Clearly those two.
>>
>>14221568
Do it then. Timestamp with a loaf of wonderbread on top and don't try to give me some shit like you don't have bread in your entire house or you can't buy a loaf of bread you fucking cunt faggot bitchass.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_144922.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_144922.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>14221623
I'm at work you dopey fuck. It's ten to 3 AEST. This is the best I have. Considering this is an anonymous imageboard, I'm assuming this isn't good enough for you.

For real though, had those dyno pictures been photoshopped to make them seem worse? I don't even know at this point.
>>
>>14221781
Of fucking course not, if you see a 170 one that's wheel horsepower and not crank hp.
>>
>>14221781
Bull fucking shit fag, nice photoshop though. No bread? No belief it's real. Typical miatafag spreading misinformation and lies. If you can't torque rev power levels from the boxer engine then you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>14222296
>toyobaru fuckbois are literally this insecure and paranoid
>>
>>14221781
It's not december.
:^)
>>
>>14222300
HURRRRRRR liar Anon posting bullshit of not enough HP with one of the lightest car bodies on the car market today is obvious bait

The car pulls, is faster than fuck, just rev high on 1st gear and launch the car better yet learn how to fucking drive manual

Miatafags all day with their hairdressers car misinforming and photoshopping lap times.

Your car is a) not practical, b) not fast c) fucking convertible NO HARDTOP GOOD LUCK IN THE RAIN OR SNOW and c)SMALL TRUNK AND NO BACK SEATS

Yeah right buddy have fun with your one dimensional car and life what you have no friends or something?
>>
>>14220555
This makes as much sense as the idiots with the "race cars run wide tires, so wide tires give more grip" fallacy.
>>
>>14222381
>larger surface area doesn't equal more friction

Are you retarded?
>>
>>14222381
Wat
They literally do though, why do you think drag racers have fatass rear wheels? Why do you think cheapass economy cars without any grip and hybrids with low rolling resistance tires have bicycle wheels/razor blades for tires? Do you think asymmetric tires are for aesthetics?
>>
File: 1438204073602.jpg (42KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1438204073602.jpg
42KB, 678x422px
I'm so glad I didn't get a toyobaru.
>>
>>14220555
Nice trips, but how are you supposed to catch anyone in a Toyobaru?
>>
>>14222499
No, but you clearly are, go away and read up on it before you make yourself look even more like you should have had your entire family euthanized at birth.

>>14222532
>why do you think drag racers have fatass rear wheels
To act as a CVT.

What is it about people with IQs in the low teens thinking wider tyres = more grip? Simply a lack of education or something deeper?
>>
>>14222663
>more surface ares does not equal more contact with the surface that pushing on creates acceleration

Are you really retarded enough to not deduce how people would think wider tires equals more grip?
>>
>>14222663
Not even the same guy, but he's right. You're retarded.
The myth about weight per square inch of tread area is all well and good, until you take adhesion values (or, "friction") into account. And in a high cornering load environment, where lateral forces start to compete with gravitational forces, the tyre with the greater contact patch will yield greater friction.

What does bother me however, is when people ONLY take width into account, without any regard to tread compound or pattern.

tl,dr; stop calling the kettle black.
>>
>>14222353
People like you are why I purposely bait BRZs on the road just to blow the doors off them. They're great cars with barely enough power to get out of their own way. They are not fast.
>>
>>14220555
Seems like a lot of people come here asking how to make their gt86 faster.
Is it just a slow car, like the mx5 before it?
>>
>>14223684
It's actually slower than the Miata, especially because it literally ships with Prius tires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLtw2z_mZ6w
>>
>>14223701
HURRRRR DURRRR SLOWER THAN MIATA MEMER

They come from Prius tires so that the company can save money and pass on the savings to you. Then you can upgrade the tires and rims yourself later. It's for the benefit of the consumer, this way the car also comes direct from the factory ready to be modded and tuned.
>>
>>14223684
It's essentially a hard top competitor to the mx5.
>>
File: toyobaru tires.png (156KB, 814x433px) Image search: [Google]
toyobaru tires.png
156KB, 814x433px
>>14222353
>The car pulls, is faster than fuck,
>If you can't torque rev power levels from the boxer engine
I think you're trying too hard.

>>14223701
>>14224037
>they fell for the Prius tire meme
The tires that come on the BRZ are an expensive option on the Prius and are only expected to last 24k miles.
>>
>>14224062
Bullfuckingshit. It's sexier, it's classier, it's designed better, it's actually practical, and it's way faster. It has more horsepower.
>>
>>14224062
>>14224169
>>14223684
the frs/brz was designed to bail out scion
subaru doesnt give a fuck about the car

>essentially a hard top competitor to the mx5.
that is top tier delusion m8

the frs/brz was designed to bail out scion
read it again
let it sink in

but then just ignore the facts and keep enabling
scion to exist

faggots
>>
File: 1322083217124.jpg (23KB, 515x515px) Image search: [Google]
1322083217124.jpg
23KB, 515x515px
>>14221426
On a scale from angry to buttflustered how upset are you?
>>
File: ferlander.jpg (26KB, 735x382px) Image search: [Google]
ferlander.jpg
26KB, 735x382px
>>14222353
>>
>>14224169
It and the miata are almost identical in performance. It's also the only other cheap sports car today where lightness is a selling point.
>>14224204
>a low volume sports car was designed to bail out a brand owned by toyota
Wot
>>
>>14224529
>almost identical in performance
Hah. That's a good one Anon. Os that why the BRZ is literally overtaking the Miata on every circuit by good margin?

>It's also the only other cheap sports car today

The Miata retails at 36k, the BRZ is 20k. Literally 16k more and it's slower.
>>
>>14225093
>these numbers
Where the fuck did you get those from
>>
>>14225117
his ass
>>
>>14225117
>>14225379
Butthurt Miatafags
>>
File: takei_laughing.gif (1MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
takei_laughing.gif
1MB, 290x260px
>>14225379
fucking jej
>>
>>14225093
See motortrend test
And keep crying

> toyobaru faggot in full buyers remorse mode
Roflmao
>>
>>14220555
Get RS595 Federals or Yokohama Advan Neova's for your BRZ, problem solved. Street legal but loads of grip. Do wear faster though.
They come stock on Prius tires (no joke, this is to make them easier to slide because those tires have less grip)
>>
>>14224062
>competitor
So that's why the MX5 is faster, even with 50 horsies less.
>>
>>14227528
As a newer generation performance pack should be, really.
>>
File: 1380362053097761829.jpg (21KB, 437x369px) Image search: [Google]
1380362053097761829.jpg
21KB, 437x369px
>>14220555
So it's this kind of thread?
>>
>>14227567
Don't know, the 86 is in between Mazda generations really. It's newer than the NC, but a little older than the ND.
How does the 86 hold up against an NC version?
>>
>>14227621
86 runs right with if not slightly faster than an NC around a track with a pro driver behind the wheel of both. Loses by a second or two against the highest-trim ND. Not a huge deal if you're not a benchracer, I'm willing to bet the average /o/tist would set a similar time in both.
>>
>>14227636
I bet if you put good tires on the 86 it would maul the ND honestly. I think it makes more than 2 seconds gain, if you consider that Mighty car mods episode they did on tires vs suspension.
The 86 by itself is already a pretty sorted chassis, slap on proper rubber and that 200 horsepower engine can talk.
>>
>>14227650
Yeah, but benchracers love to do stock vs stock. I agree that if you're tracking any car you should put separate track tires and pads on it.
>>
>>14220555
only for land speed record attempts
>>
>>14227655
Meh, benchmarks have their use.
Honestly, looking for other stuff than factory numbers when buying track car.
For instance BMW's 4 door saloons are heavier on paper than their 2 door counterparts, but stripped its the other way around.
>>
>>14227655
the problem with stock vs stock on the 86 is that the 86 stock tires are literally prius low rolling resist high mileage tires

toyota did that to hit a fleet mileage number but it totally cripples the car in terms of benchracing, you can shave almost a half second off the car's 0-60 by putting on starspecs
>>
>>14221781
dude, stop taking his bait
>>
>>14227728
He's a man. Don't tell him what to do. You think he's a bitch or something?
>>
>>14220577
/thread
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.