[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Brands TO AVOID

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

File: WORRY.jpg (12KB, 200x255px) Image search: [Google]
WORRY.jpg
12KB, 200x255px
I'm about to buy my own DD under $5k soon (so probably a shitbox/econobox). I read the sticky, but I want to know...

what are some MUST-AVOID, DO NOT GET car brands? I'm talking brands with shit reliability, hard-to-come across parts, expensive parts, expensive repairs, etc.
>>
>>14214732
They're all shit. At that price you're just looking for one that'll take the longest to die which comes down to how well it was maintained. Service records or gtfo.
>>
>>14214732

Dodge
Chrysler
GM
Anything German.
>>
>>14214738
more or less what this guy said
at that price point, how well the car's been maintained has a larger say than the brand in terms of reliability
hard to say more general statements than that other than research wtf you're buying and buy something that's common so parts and repairs are common
>>
>>14214732
Mazda
GM
>>
>>14214732
Just look at the sticky if you're in the US. Personally I avoid mid 90s and later German cars, and of course hyundai.
>>
anything european
anything korean
anything american

basically anything that's not a Corolla/Civic
>>
>>14214732
Mazda is pretty shitty. They don't rust proof the cars from factory so it's possible to find a newer Mazda destroyed by rust.
>>
>>14214732
Mazda for sure
Chev
All korean
>>
>>14214732
Chrysler
Dodge
Mazda
Kia
>>
FCA brands. Also Porsche.

>all these anti Mazda posts

I thought Mazda sponsored this board, what happened?
>>
>>14214767
Yeah I seen a 2012 Mazda 3 and the whole rocker panel was rusted.
>>
>>14214784
No. This is a Ford-sponsored board.
Have you praised the Mustang, Fiesta and Focus today, anon?
>>
>>14214732
Anything:
American, European, Korean
>>
File: IT'S TIME!.jpg (47KB, 380x368px) Image search: [Google]
IT'S TIME!.jpg
47KB, 380x368px
OP here. Holy shit thanks for the fast-ass posts. You know, I just don't wanna buy like, a SAAB or VW, or Volvo, or Lincoln, or Hyundai, or any brand really, for like $2-3k, then spend ANOTHER 2k on fucking repairs. I wanna buy my shitbox, do necessary maintenance, and drive it until it dies

>all these Mazda posts

wew
>>
>>14214732
-Audi
-Porsche
-Kia/Hyundai
-BMW/Mercedes unless you can DIY and know what to look for
-Old, strung out sports cars that /o/ has hard ons for but are objectively poor decisions for people on a budget

As pointed out, it's really more about the condition at this price point than anything else

>>14214803
>I wanna buy my shitbox, do necessary maintenance, and drive it until it dies
Honda/Toyota/Nissan then
>>
>>14214791
I worship the holy trinity, anon.

In the name of the Ford, the Snek, and the Zoom-Zoom, amen.
>>
File: 309.jpg (27KB, 380x391px) Image search: [Google]
309.jpg
27KB, 380x391px
>>14214803
all of the posts ITT are baits

literall all brands have made unreliable cars
>>
>>14214784
I don't know but from personal experience, I had a 2014 Mazda 3 with maybe 20,000km as a rental for 2 weeks and it was pretty terrible.

At the time I owned a 03 eclipse spyder, a car not known for the best interior, but it shit all over the Mazda 3. My doors were soft touch, steering wheel and shifter stitched leather, and for a convertible very low road noise.

The Mazda 3 was about on par with a 2005 cobalt, maybe a bit less quality. Everything was hard plastic and hollow, the road noise was terrible. The car had very little power and I hated every minute with it.

I also ended up renting a 2015 Dodge Charger, and that was a much nicer vehicle too.

Maybe there are some nice Mazda's, but my experience with the 3 was awful and was probably the worst car I've ever driven (I'm 34 and have been driving for 18 years so that's a lot of vehicles).
>>
>>14214732
If you want a car with the absolute cheapest upkeep possible, Chevy Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire and Chrysler/Dodge Neon are your options.

Parts for these two are the absolute cheapest of any car bar NONE.

But as far as shitboxes go, these are the most mediocre of the mediocre.

They can be beat on as hard as the Hondas/Toyotas and keep pace in terms of reliability easily.

tl;dr, buy a Corolla/Civic and ignore everything I just said because owning either of those shitboxes is suffering because epitome of shitbox.
>>
>>14214784
>I thought Mazda sponsored this board, what happened?
mad toyobaru fanboys are mad
>>
Buy a Twingo.
Unless you're a burger, then you're doomed to driving a Corolla/Civic for the first few years.
>>
>>14214803
just buy a civic then
>>
Most euro brands including VAG
Ford US (euro is acceptable)
GM (US/AU, AMC, Vauxhall and Opel Excluded)
Anything made in Asia except JDM
>>
File: scared.png (151KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
scared.png
151KB, 421x500px
>>14214828
>>14214846
>>14214843
Burger here.
>tl;dr, buy a Corolla/Civic and ignore everything I just said because owning either of those shitboxes is suffering because epitome of shitbox.

exactly senpai. i have money & a job, but have student loans and rent, so I don't wanna go too crazy on my first car. and in no way would I never drive an old corolla (way too many around my area, all used ones for sale in horrendous, horrendous condition), a Cavalier (hate em), Neon (>Dodge/GM). Sunfire, maybe, because they actually have their own distinct. fun "sporty" look to them.

For example, I like old "boxy" Volvo's (S70), but I hear they're shit the older they are and expensive to repair
>>
>>14214732
All japanese shit. (Toyo, Honda, Mazda) Yes they're are all shit

All korean shit (Kia, hyundai)
>>
>>14214892
Older Volvo maybe? Everything from the 850 down, basically as long as it's shaped like a brick it's a pretty solid choice.
>>
>>14214732

avoid all brands, none has a car that will last forever, all will break eventually.

invest in a pair of shows and extra calories for the road, your legs should last until you die.
>>
File: 154523-INFO.jpg (890KB, 2393x2688px) Image search: [Google]
154523-INFO.jpg
890KB, 2393x2688px
>>14214803
Here's something useful for you OP

So basically,
>FCA, not even once
>>
>>14214929
Those are new cars though, hence why Hyundai and Kia aren't absolute bottom-tier.
>>
File: mitsubishi-logo (1).jpg (27KB, 194x250px) Image search: [Google]
mitsubishi-logo (1).jpg
27KB, 194x250px
t b h with you familys, tell me about:

MITSUBISHI.

because I'm checking out this 03 LANCER right here, and I talked the guy down to $1600 from $2200. I saw it, it's clean AF inside, clean title, good drive, no rust below it, no leaks, no odor, super solid, new tires & brakes. just 99k miles.

I'm getting a great price because the guy's a small dealer who bought this at an Auction, and I have a close friend go with me to check out the car who has his own dealership, so we worked out a discount as he knows we have an idea of how much he bought it for, and that he's gotta make some profit on it.
>>
File: 00606_6irBIojEaEv_600x450.jpg (38KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
00606_6irBIojEaEv_600x450.jpg
38KB, 600x338px
>>14214955
Car in question btw. Also, I'd like to eventually get an 04 Evo.
>>
File: 1452005237653.jpg (795KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452005237653.jpg
795KB, 1280x960px
There are none, it's almost entirely subjective.

When you ask which car brands to avoid, all you're getting is a bunch of autists going on about manufacturers they don't like, and present it as fact.
>>
>>14214955
lancers are good any other mitsu are shit
>>
>>14214968
it's fine. just service it on time and you should be golden. when people start getting lax about service intervals and not being proactive when faults happen, that's when shit goes downhill
>>
>>14214955
Mitsubishi is great, very reliable.

I've owned 4, currently own 2. None have needed a repair, none have ever had to go to a mechanic.

The models I owned/own are: 1999 eclipse, 03 spyder, 08 eclipse, 15 lancer.

Absolutely zero issues with any of them, every other car I've owned as had issues. But with Mitsubishi, none.
>>
File: 1259279084487.png (8KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1259279084487.png
8KB, 493x402px
>>14214970
>>14214976
>>14214978
>>14214984
See, this is what sucks. I read online that this car is great, testimonials from people who have owned one, and to go for it, but my friend's dad who's a mechanic said they're shit and he wouldn't even pay $500 for it, then my dad says they have issues (but he's not a mechanic and going off of experience with an Eclipse he had and with his friend who's a mechanic)

so it's like, I don't know WHAT to do or WHO to believe.
>>
File: image.jpg (280KB, 960x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280KB, 960x429px
>>14215003
Probably true about the eclipse, but it wouldn't have been inherently it's fault. It probably had the shit beat out of it.

Though I beat the shit out of my cars and like I said, nothing really outside of oil and brake changes.
>>
>>14214732
Just buy a toyota or honda whatever from a middle aged clean looking white guy. A cherokee or some saturn shitbox with maintanence records will be ok also.
>>
Avoid: GM, Dodge, Kia, Hyundai, Mazda, BMW

Meh: Mercedes, Audi, VW, Nissan

Go For: Toyota, Volvo, Saab, Ford, Honda

If you're looking for sub-$5k, You can find some decent ones for a DD. All 3 of my cars I have purchased ('97 Camry, '93 Volvo 240, and '00 Volvo V70) have all surpassed 200,000 miles with minimal maintenance and all of them were purchased for $2000 or less used. Hell, the 240 is still in reasonably good health with 250,000 miles after being purchased with 170,000 on it
>>
>>14214978
most mechanics i've known will tell you they'd never buy a mitsubishi in general. this is often because certain brands actually put a good amount of thought into the way they design them, so when it comes to service them, everything is straight forward and you can figure how to do whatever you need to do easy enough. the difference with mitsubishi is sometimes things aren't so well designed and it makes servicing them more difficult. and since mechanics will always be doing the repairs and servicing on their own cars they never want something that's any more difficult than it needs to be.

you don't sound like someone who can do their own wrenching so why should you care about that lol

that and there are some brands who just seem to be slightly more trouble in general than other brands. mitsubishi does tend to be one, but that's not necessarily a vehicle problem. it can just as easily be a driver problem, there could be more idiots driving mitsubishi's. idiots don't service their vehicles. neglected vehicles tend to have more issues.

the reason i say go for your car is it looks tidy, and if it drives nice then chances are it's legit. that and it's a cheap car anyway so who gives a shit. if it was me and i was spending more serious coin i wouldn't settle for a mitsubishi
>>
BMW
>>
>>14215154
was supposed to reply to
>>14215022
>>
>>14215154
thanks for your input man. and everyone else ITT too. What should I do if I buy the car, it gives me an issue down the road that costs me let's say, 2 grand, but I don't wanna service it? Do I just sell it or junk it or something?

I mean yeah, I don't do my own wrenching (want to learn how-to, though), however, I change the oil in my dad's car as needed and generally take care of it.

>>14214828
I'm actually pretty curious about the Sunfire now. Looks nice. Any particular years that are good?
>>
>>14215154
I agree with most this, especially that working on Mitsubishi engines can be difficult.

Though you're wrong, I do all my wrenching. One of the most difficult jobs I've done personally is the timing belt/water pump change on the 03 (maintainence op, not a repair). The main thing with Mitsubishi is the space to work on and get at things is very cramped. To get to one thing you may have to remove 5. That timing belt and water pump took an entire weekend sat morning till Sunday around 10pm.
>>
File: c1.jpg (31KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
c1.jpg
31KB, 600x338px
>>14215244
>That timing belt and water pump took an entire weekend sat morning till Sunday around 10pm.

fug ;_;
that seems like it'll cost a lot
TeamGunstar, as you're a Mitsubishi Pro & wrencher, tell me, what type of maintenance is good to perform on a car (besides oil changes, which is all I do)? I know, very noob question.
>>
File: lt1.jpg (79KB, 453x384px) Image search: [Google]
lt1.jpg
79KB, 453x384px
>>14214929

>FRS, BRZ worst models
>>
>>14215302
Probably because boiracers beat the shit out of them and put in 90 PSI turbos.
>>
>>14215270
Well the timing belt, water pump, idle pulley, tension pulley, hydraulic tensioner, (all gate brand) cost me $300 cnd from rock auto, that includes shipping from the US. At a shop? I've read it's a $800-$1200 job.

Now my 2015 lancer is a timing chain so I don't have that maintainence with it. But my 2008 eclipse does have a timing belt that requires 80k miles change.

When I buy I used car I check the timing belt, it it looks shiny with cracking it needs replacement. It should look dry and rubbery. Replace all the coolant with new, check the colour and the smell of the transmission fluid. If it smells burnt and is dark change it. Check the spark plugs, and change them too if they look old. Just the normal stuff as with any cars. Mitsubishi used to recommend 60k miles for their timing belts, their new belts are rated for 80k now.
>>
>>14214784
> hurr durr le FCA = shit meeme
>>
>>14215326
Thank you very much. I don't know how to do this stuff yet (in your 3rd paragraph), but I'll learn it.
>>
>>14215189
The Sunfire is just a rebranded Cavalier.

No, I'm not kidding. They're exactly the same.
>>
Any luxury brand that isn't Japanese. BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, etc. Nothing French either.
>>
>>14215342
No worries.

If you pick up a car hit a dedicated forum for it. Usually they scream all the important maintainence stuff at new members.
>>
>>14214784
>>all these anti Mazda posts

A mazda at $5,000 will be bad because it will probably be 10 years older. Many car companies were not as reliable 10 years ago, think KIA, and Mazda is one of them.

For $5,000 and reliability is your #1 concern, you cannot go wrong with japanese brands. They were simply had the best performance in the 2000s
>>
>>14214759
>civic

It's time to denounce your ricer religion. Stop converting people into shitheads.
>>
>>14215585
>best performance in the 2000s
best reliability* rather
>>
>>14215003
Do not take shitposters seriously
>>
>>14214759
Sorry mate. I'm drunk and read your post wrong.
>>14215587
>>
bampu :3
>>
If I had 5k for a DD i would just find the lowest mileage W/T Silverado with a manual trans.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.