[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does size factor into the performance of a tire for purposes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0014.jpg (175KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0014.jpg
175KB, 1620x1080px
How does size factor into the performance of a tire for purposes of racing, lap times, etc.?

My understanding is that the taller the tire, the larger the contact patch, and that improves acceleration. Do you basically want the biggest tire that the wheel well will handle for max performance?
>>
>>14207907
congrats OP

you finally understood what american sports cars do in order to compete
>>
More grip, makes the car wider in some different ways , etc . smaller chances of drifting out
>>
>>14207921

with other sports cars with massive amounts of torque.

You forgot the rest of the sentence.

>>14207907
Diameter works as a bigger torque arm.

Wider tires hold the surface better for better contact, but will hamper economy. Less sidewall is for less flexing and weight savings. You can fihure the rest out.
>>
>>14207921
The widest tires ever fitted on a sports car was for a European car
>>
>>14207907
Do you mean taller, or wider?

Wider matters a lot. More sticky stuff=less slowing down to clear a corner.

Taller is good too. It means more room for brakes, as well as taller spindles, which help to minimize deflection of the suspension links.
>>
>>14207974
Sounds like he meant taller aspect sidewalls, not taller wheels. They are both good but obviously you can't have too much of either.
>>
File: IMG_0345.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0345.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>14207907
im curious on what wheel diameter changes, wouldnt larger wheels accelerate slower? why do most new cars come with large 17+inch rims??
>>
>>14208062
Most new cars come with big wheels either to clear brakes or because that's what consumers want
>>
I knew I've been saving this pic for sumthin.

Taller tires are smoother over road imperfections. Smaller ones take less power to spin.
Traction difference on street isn't huge.

Width, well, WIDER DOES NOT MEAN MORE GRIP. A lot of people can't grasp this concept. A lot of physics come into play, but putting super fat wide rear's on a Hellcat will not necessarily make it grip better. There's more to it than just the dimension of the tire. PSI is very important.
>>
>>14208062
Appearance. A 90's Camry with little 14"s looks ridiculous. Poverty status.

Now they're rocking 18"s and it just has more presence and looks so much better.... while still being just a camry.
>>
>>14208062
Smaller radius = faster acceleration
Bigger radius = more top speed

You can up the size of the rim and still have the same radius or even smaller radius, all depends on the size of the walls.
>>
>>14208125
More width does mean more grip. There's a lot of voodoo involved with tires that can be functionally modeled, but isn't well understood in theory. They don't function solely on mu.
>>
File: ww2.jpg (37KB, 450x274px) Image search: [Google]
ww2.jpg
37KB, 450x274px
>>14208398
So the Jeeps and other tire vehicles in WWII had skinny narrow tires for grip in the muddy forests of Europe right?
>>
>>14207969
Yes, and they were made by a US company.

Congrats.
>>
>>14208417
They had skinny narrow tires for weight reduction and air drops....
>>
File: image_1.png (396KB, 603x421px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.png
396KB, 603x421px
>kumhos
>>
>>14208062
why ? no one wants cars on silly 15" inch wheels especially new ones that have small windows and large doors/panels it just looks stupid, also for daily driving only difference is that big wheels arent too confy on bad roads...
>>
>>14208125
I would like to see that test with the same tier widths. I would have found it strange if a 225 and 235 wide tier would put down less G than a 195. If they had the same width, the 15 inch would probably be able to put down more G than the 18 inch.

And it's true what you are saying about the hellcat. A wider tier does not deform as much as a narrower. The narrower will deform more upon acceleration and create a long contact patch, while the wider won't deform as much. But in corners the wider will probably perform better because of the wider contact patch.

TFW a couple of months left until I can take my Miata out and enjoy my new TE37 and Bridgestone Potenzas :(
>>
>>14208963
>baiting for a "Why?" post
>just to shitpost some more

Why do you do this?
>>
>>14209406
honestly i wasn't really looking for replies, just wanted to post it
>>
>>14208062
all of the replies to your post + fuel econ reasons.

'hurr dur our big cock tired car gets __ mpg!!'

thanks epa :^)
>>
>>14207907
>How does size factor into the performance of a tire for purposes of racing, lap times, etc.?

A wider tire increases the slip angle of the tire but doesn't increase the contact patch or the amount of grip. It increases tire life as you have a larger total area of tire face, this allows you to run a softer compound giving more grip this is the only real benefit, unless you are talking drag radials, these are designed to deform under centripetal force and act as a CVT where the wider the tire the more they deform. A wider tire has to displace more water in the wet making aquaplaning more of a problem.
>>
>>14208144
>implying a Camry lowered on 14" ssr wheels is poverty look
>>
>>14208417
Skinny tires are useful for splitting through mud you dipstick.
>>
File: fronttirewear.jpg (111KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
fronttirewear.jpg
111KB, 720x960px
Having a wide tire for grip=/=being able to use it all

Once you get past a certain point, if your suspension isn't setup for wide tires then you're just paying stupid amounts of unused rubber. I think on stock Camaros once you get past like 305's or something you have to have some suspension work done to get any use out of a wider tire.

Wider tires are usually good to an extent though for max lateral G's. It also depends on who makes your rubber because not all are equal. I noticed a pretty staggering difference in acceleration and lateral G's by just swapping my P Zeros out for Conti ExtremeContacts. A much, much stickier summer tire that almost has the same amount of miles on them as my P Zeros did when they were complete shit. My tread is still looking pretty good and I drive my car pretty hard.
>>
File: rekt.jpg (159KB, 877x939px) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
159KB, 877x939px
>>14207921
tell me anon, why do you damage control so much?
>>
File: 1450217986135.jpg (148KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1450217986135.jpg
148KB, 1111x597px
>>14211554
wow!
there's a car that is faster than another type of car
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.