[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are double helical gears basically non existent in cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: double_helical_gears_big.jpg (70KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
double_helical_gears_big.jpg
70KB, 800x598px
Why are double helical gears basically non existent in cars?
>>
Because of people like you.
>>
There's some disadvantage that isn't worth the advantage (if there is one)
>>
>>14206264
they self compensate axial force while being as silent as regular helical gears

but: costs
>>
Main reason is
COST
O
S
T
They're much harder to manufacture: basically you either need to double the number of gears, or have some crazy ass machining process that's unsustainable. Plus they're self-centering in one direction, they're unstable in the opposite direction (yes, helicals are also unstable but they're unstable in a predictable direction, unlike wishbone gears). And the gains from them are very marginal.
>>
>>14206333
>>14206542
i really doubt there's a significant manufacturing cost difference between helical and double helical. they are probably just dye forged.
>>
>>14206557
You really don't know how manufacturing processes work. A cast gear blank couldn't include the gear tooth profile because it is typically undercut - and even if you use a profile shifted gear you would still need cleanup operations on the contacting surfaces.

Gears are typically cast as cylinders, the teeth cut with a special cutting head and then they will use flame or induction heat to case-harden the teeth (harden the exterior to a certain depth).

The reason double helical aren't used is because they are expensive - you might think it's just one more cutting operation but the logistics of changing tooling and such on a production line when you could just spec a bigger bearing on one end of the shaft and not have to worry about multiple cuts makes it extremely unattractive to most companies.

TLDR; because bigger bearings are cheaper than double helical gears.
>>
>>14206557
>dye forged.
I don't think they were ever forged. Either way, the ones today are machined from low carbon steel, case hardened, then ground/polished. Some cheaper, older stuff is roll forged and then hardened, but smoother, more accurate gears =>
>NVH
>empeegees
>>
>>14206671
>I watched How It's Made
k
>>
>>14206674
>you don't watch engineering crack
Your loss m80
>>
I hate people who see a tidbit on something and try to project like they're seasoned experts.
If you've ever actually spent significant time around a specific subject, then caught the 1 hour special on it, you'd know that they're just introductions for normies, they're not actually informative.
Going around parroting them like you've spent decades in the industry just makes you look retarded to people who actually have.
>>
Because helical gears are good enough for the application.
>>
>>14206731
Nice hypocrisy you have going there dumbass tripfag.
>>
>>14206759
Aren't u gay?
>>
>>14206731
and I hate rapists
>>
>>14206801
better to be gay than a rapist
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.