[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first time changing oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: SKOK_0847-JR.jpg (745KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
SKOK_0847-JR.jpg
745KB, 1024x687px
help guys

i have a 2012 4-piston honda accord

im going to diy change the oil today before it gets dark,never done it before

what do i do to prevent pic related from happening to me?

im petrified, what if the car falls down and i get pinned underneath and die

i was thinking of parking it up over a curve desu

thanks for the advice in advance senpai
>>
>>14204944
good jack stands or car ramps

and hope to god your oil filter isn't stuck on
>>
>>14204944
If your car does need to be raised at all to get to the drain plug and/or oil filter, make sure to use jack stands. You never work underneath a car that is only supported by a jack. On my car I don't need to raise the body at all, the oil filter is accessible from above, so thankfully its not something I have to worry about it. Still, jack stands are relatively cheap at your local auto parts store, so don't risk it if you need them.
>>
>>14204944
stop being a bitch, ull die eventually
>>
>>14204959
>>14204969

looks like the options are

A) Buy a jack stand

B) Try and do it without a jack, car just sitting there

C) Roll the car over a curb

ARe any of these a bad idea
>>
Jack stands, a ramp or similar stuff that will not break or drop the car under any circumstances. Never go beneath a vehicle or similar that is being held up only by hydraulics as they can go to shit at any second right ontop of you

Also; your car has to be standing on level ground to get all the oil out properly. If the car is tilting or similar then it won't properly drain all its old oil.Get the car on a jackstand or similar, remove the drainplug, put whatever you are draining the oil into underneath and then lower the car again when you're in the clear so properly drains
>>
>>14204996
B and C

Buy a fucking pair of jack stands.
>>
>>14205001
depends on the ramps too...I have a pair of the plastic ones and they seem to hold the cars up fine...but I don't fucking trust them 100% based on seeing some that have cracked, so I throw jack stands underneath the car as well
>>
File: 0785.jpg (3MB, 2087x1407px) Image search: [Google]
0785.jpg
3MB, 2087x1407px
>>14205001
And I almost forgot; run the engine so its at an operating temperature before draining the oil, as cold oil won't run as easily.
>>
File: rhino-ramps_approach.jpg (52KB, 558x378px) Image search: [Google]
rhino-ramps_approach.jpg
52KB, 558x378px
>>14204944
If your drain plug is facing towards the rear, Rhino ramps are fucking great. Just drive up and you're set. Throw a stopper for your rear wheels and you're golden. You can get them for 40 bucks are Wally World, really good investment.
>>
>>14204996
If your car is tall enough you can do it without any equipment, on a curb is fine if you put wood blocks against the wheels to prevent rolling.
>>
>>14205041
>>14205023
>>
>>14205030
Make sure to let the car cool first so that you can touch the oil pan without burning yourself, because hot oil will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>14205069
>hot oil will fuck your shit up

it's not going to burn you on contact
>>
>>14205041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbh_cFl7Es4
Pretty impressive for plastic piece of shit.
>>
File: nissan-ichi-van-01.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nissan-ichi-van-01.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
This brings me back to doing oil changes with daddy, back when I was 13 years old or so.
1990 Nissan Ichivan (maybe it was called something else on other countries).
It was tall enough to work under it.
Also learned to dissasemble/clean the carburator and stuff, until it got a rigged EFI installed. Dad used to explain how engines and cars worked (or at least, how he, mostly empirically, thought they did) and I was just marveled. Pretty much the only times we bonded or something.
Just like pic related, tho fatherĀ“s was pimp purple with golden decals.
Sold because bitchy mom, that van and I, wherever it is, are the same age.

Too bad I did nothing engine related for the next decade and forgot most stuff. Nowadays engines are too "closed source" to mess with.
>>
>>14205076
Fuck that I wouldn't trust any sort of ramp like that let alone plastic
>>
>>14205129
That poor thing.... Nissan tried competing with the Toyota HiAce and VW Caravelle here, and I think you can guess how that worked out
>>
>>14205144
Never knew that.
If I recall correctly this was not a popular van back then, nowadays I startle whenever I see one running.
It was quite reliable in our experience, used to make 8-12 hour trips in it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.