[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So when someone mentions a car will last longer when its well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

So when someone mentions a car will last longer when its well looked after. what classifies as well looked after.

Serviced on time?
Oil and filter changed every 5000 - 10,000
fluids checked, topped up and changed regularly?
>>
>>14203177
what are they doing? seems such an unrealistic situation
>>
Basically that, yeah.
It sounds simple but you'd be surprised how many people treat their cars like magical perpetual motion machines. Especially when people buy into the meme that Japanese cars only need oil changes.
>>
Exactly. Also gentler acceleration until oil is warm. Rule of thumb is 2 miles per cylinder until oil and block are warm.
If it's a turbo, you'll need to cool it down after intensive use, too. A few minutes (say 10) of low-boost running around is good enough.
>>
>>14203177
Why are those women so overweight and unhealthy? Why do you have repeating digits?
>>
>>14203190
>>14203189
So I own a toyota 86 i admit i do thrash the thing i change the oil and filter every 6500 k's

I let it warm up for 10 mins before use, etc, Check the fluids make sure they are topped

so thats it?
>>
>>14203228
That's it. Unless you're hanging on the rev-limiter all the time, all's well.

Might want to check the spark plugs a little more often than usual, just to have a clean ignition. So, maybe every year? Excessive, probably.
>>
>>14203228
Yes, and when a CEL comes on you don't ignore it and keep driving for months on end.
This is also why you don't buy cars driven by women, and "lady driven" listed like it's a positive thing in a craigslist post should actually be taken like a huge fucking red flag.
>>
>>14203241
sparks need replacing at like 80,000 k's IIRC from the manual. that service is like 1700 bucks
>>
Cold idle is also where most of the wear occurs to your engine, so make sure you drive off immediately after starting.
>>
>>14203245
...what?
Doing it yourself should cost you about $100. Having a shop do it would probably be about $300.
>>
>>14203244
kek ive come across the woman driver thing a couple times.

no CEL's as of yet for anything I've done 30,000ks for the year I have had it

Just have one question in regards to the coolant. Is it ok to top it up or must i drain it all before adding more?
>>
>>14203177
Keep it clean inside and out.
All the old shit boxes still on the road have had owners with ocd that kept them washed and waxed.
>>
>>14203251
Topping it up is okay if you're low but I would still flush and put new coolant in occasionally.
>>
Not really specific to any one post but just a general note, change your fuel filter every year and your fuel pump every 100k miles. This is excessive but unless you have to drop the tank to get to the pump it'll save you a lot of headache, people always neglect the fuel system and fuel system failure is a massive pain in the ass to have happen to you.
>>
>>14203190
10 minutes is actually quite excessive for cool down.
2-3 minutes of off boost running should be adequate. I wouldn't idle either the volume flow of oil through the turbo would be reduced, which is a bad.
>>
>>14203249
nvm it was a 54 month service for someshit that will cost like 1700 because they have to pul the motor outto replace shit
>>
>>14203266
> every 100k miles.

ehh long ways to go for that.

what about general new car rules? I got 30,000 kilometres on mine

Currently serviced at 15,000 and 30,000 with myself changing the oil and oil filter every 6500

Am I on the right track?
>>
>>14203291
Did you follow proper engine break in or just hoon it since you bought it?

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/277-engine-break-101-a.html
>>
>>14203316
yeah first 1000 k's under 4000 or whatever it was can't remember no redlining, no thrashing etc
>>
>>14203177

Generally, that involves just following the scheduled maintenance procedures outlined in the applicable book that comes with your car.
>>
>>14203320
Nice, you sound on your way. You may also need to replace some suspension components along the way since your car has a hard suspension, those items may be a bit more susceptible to wear over time compared to a normal vehicle.
>>
>>14203337
getting coil overs next month, friend owns a shop so ill get them almost half price.

still contemplating supercharging it, but it'll void the 5 year warranty but i doubt the stock engine will fuckup in the next 5 years anyway so I might as well, read some reviews on certain ones that are highly reliable ill keep doing my study on them and find out the best one.

anyway thanks for help guys time for work
>>
>>14203291
If you really want to go above and beyond, look up a dealer service schedule. I've only ever really done this with BMWs so I don't know what it's like on other cars but I have a service manual that has "BMW inspection 1" and so on with intervals at which each inspection should be done. If you look online generally somebody from a dealership will have listed what actually goes into these inspections and you can take a few hours and do it yourself.
>>
>>14203350
If you have an 86 I think I heard of one supercharger kit coming with a 3 year warranty or something along those lines, though the requirements to qualify for the warranty were strict if I recall.
>>
>>14203247

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would there me more wear on a running engine cold engine under no load than a cold engine under load?

Carbon build up might be more of an issue if you let it idle until it's completely warmed up instead of driving gently until it's warm like you're supposed to do.
>>
>>14203371
Here it is, Edelbrock Super charger with limited 36 month/36,000 mile limited powertrain warranty.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/warranty/eforce.shtml
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/superchargers/fa20.shtml
>>
>>14203401
This is what I read when I was buying my new car, here's what the dude said:

"Most people, even driving enthusiasts do not
realize that 90% of engine (and powertrain) "wear" happens at engine start up and during the warm up cycle. The colder it
is outside, the more extreme and accelerated this "wear and tear" is. The goal to minimizing this (bad) wear, is to get
your engine fully warmed up in the quickest way possible AND to minimize the number of cold starts during a "cycle". It is
important to note that an engine and other powertrain components are usually made out of different types of metals,
including alloys. All respond to heat and friction differently, and all have shown to have different bedding-in qualities.
For instance, steel and iron is much more durable and more resistant to friction wear than say aluminum or other alloys.
It is even MORE important during engine break-in to minimize cold engine start ups and idling. The absolute worst driving
habit a new car owner can do is start their engine and just let it sit there at idle speed. Idling puts no load on the
engine, provides minimal lubrication on moving parts and takes much longer for the engine to warm up. As metal warms up,
it tends to change shape. In fact, some engine parts are designed to change their overall shape when they get to normal
operating temps (some pistons, with oval sideskirts are a perfect example... as the piston heats up, the sideskirts go
from oval to round). Idling also wastes fuel. The only exception to the "no idle" rule is on days where outside temps are
0 degrees or less. Then it is actually beneficial to start the engine and let it idle for 10 seconds. However, the best
driving procedure for extremely cold days (especially during the break-in) is not to drive the car at all.
>>
>>14203177
HIGH BOOST
>>
Follow your factory service schedule and your car SHOULD be fine. Unless they really fucked up their research when they wrote it.

Also, a big thing with maintenance I have noticed over the years of working on cars is do not cheap out when it comes to ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc.. and do BOTH sides at the same time even if only 1 side is bad. Uneven wear on 2 different sides get's fucking annoying after awhile. There is a lot of people that do this because they are lazy or cheap out. To include professional mechanics.
>>
>>14203177
Shut the fuck up and post more of them
>>
get the official maintenance schedule
half the oil change period
add in a transmission fluid change at 100k and every 50k thereafter
>>
>>14203401
Electric chokes make the car run excessively rich, which will wash buildup off of cylinder walls and trickle down into your oil and dilute it with fuel and gunk. Not really a problem if you change your oil often
>>
>>14203177
>m-more
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.