[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should car insurance be legally required?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: beater.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
beater.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
Should car insurance be legally required?
>>
If the majority of /o/ posters actually drive... absolutely.
>>
>>14201813
Liability yes

If someone hits you and they don't have any insurance or money, you guys are both fucked
>>
Yes it should be and it should be mandatory that the state provides it. Ontario has only private insurance groups and it's not unheard of fit for a 20-26 year old to pay 200-600 a month on insurance. It's a huge scam and no one is willing to address it.
>>
>>14202653
This is literally the norm in shitpost land.

>22
>Modified 2 seater
>2 Speeding Fines for 2MPH (6kmh) and 4MPH (10kmh) over
>No claims
>Never been in a crash or anything close
>$800 a month

Yet, put it in my mums name,
>59
>99999 Speeding fines
>A few crashes
>Lost her licence in the 70's for driving on Acid
>$800 a year if that

And Its mandatory in Australia.
>>
Wait, It's not in the US?
>>
>>14201813

In what sort of anarchichal society isn't it a legal requirement to have some form of insurance?

Britbong anon here. It's legally required to have some form of insurance otherwise you can have your car seized (pic related, a bentley presumably paid for in cash by some sandpeople who then didn't bother to insure it).

3rd party is the lowest level, which protects other people's cars if you crash into them. Then 3rd party fire and theft, which is pretty obvious. Then fully comprehensive, which covers your own car too.

Funny thing is, fully comp is often cheaper than the other options.

When I was 24 and had an abarth 500, it cost me £30/month for insurance. I'm 26 now and have a C2 VTS (125hp euro warm hatch shitbox) and it costs me £21/month.

I've priced up a few other cars for comparison...

Insurance costs for me at 26, with 9 years of no claims bonus, two parents on policy, all of these are fully comprehensive with a £500 excess:

Ford Focus ST (last gen) £32/month
EP3 type R £35/month
S2000 £36/month
GT86 £34/month
BRZ £32/month (yeah I don't know why either)
350z £35/month
ND Mx-5 (2.0) £26/month
BMW e92 M3 £65/month

So really, any of the cars (aside from the M3) are around £30 per month, which fully protects me, any other drivers, and insures me against theft and fire.

I've only ever had one crash in my life, and it was with a supermarket van that ran a red light, and the supermarket paid for all my repair costs without using our insurance. So I've never ever had to use my insurance - which means I've wasted thousands of pounds over the last decade... However, I'd rather have insurance on my car than not, given how much it pays out if you need it to versus what you pay in.
>>
File: 923751807.jpg (59KB, 600x425px) Image search: [Google]
923751807.jpg
59KB, 600x425px
>>14202780
forgot fuggen pic

This is a window sticker the police use to demonstrate they're cracking down on uninsured motorists.
>>
>>14202687
Only CTP is mandatory and that only covers fire, theft and injury to others. It's also a lot cheaper than full coverage.
>>
>>14201813
yes and it is here in the UK
>>
>>14202698
Varies state to state.
>>
>>14202653
I'm 19 and have a single ticket for going 10 km/h over. I got quoted $5,900/year for a 4 cylinder Accord. This is fucking ridiculous
>>
Of course liability should be legally required, and in the entire developed world it is.

>any year
>allowing people to use public roads in their cars without ensuring that the damage they cause to others can be covered
Nice third world you've got there, parts of Murrika.
>>
>>14202687
>>14202873
>there are people on /o/ RIGHT NOW who live in countries where insurances have access to your license record and not just your insurance history
>>
>>14202877
Yeah it sucks senpai.
>>
Yes. My car got btfo by a guy from New Hampshire, and having him pay for the the repairs was like pulling teeth.
>>
File: 1431516033378.jpg (45KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1431516033378.jpg
45KB, 500x380px
>>14202687
>20
>Two seater, AE86 Trueno
>Have one speeding fine on record
>No claims, never been in a crash
>Most insurers won't touch me
>The ones that do want $1800/year
>>
>be me
>21
>driving my old school cutlass
>beaner runs stop sign
>hits my back right fender
> no insurance
> cops come
>guy gets a ticket
> my shits fucked and no compensation

Fuck this world.
>>
>>14201813
Where the fuck isn't that the case in the first world?

Also I pay around €350 a year for a 2L. Insurance in anglo countries seems to be nuts from what I'm reading here.
>>
>>14202780
>>14202780
I too am 26 with 9 years no claims:
I still pay £1400 a year on insurance on a 911 Carrera S

Postcode is a big determiner.
>>
>>14204239
This, and in the US, state. New York makes it wayyyyy too easy to claim $50K-$150K settlement on whiplash in simple accidents. The result is as someone who is 25 with a Ford Fusion and a clean record I pay $600/6 months for insurance. In some states people with a similar driving profile would pay $20/month.
>>
Sister pays $400 for liability on a pos Corolla.
>>
>>14201813
Insurance is a scam and only fiscally irresponsible need it
>>
Why can't we sue the state for giving these accident prone drivers licenses?
>>
>>14204345
>only fiscally irresponsible need it
which is most of the population who drives, hence why it being mandatory is a benefit to society
>>
>>14204345
...which is most of the US

If people were actually held accountable for the things they do to other people, like plowing into them at mach 10 at a red light or going down the wrong way on an interstate, then we wouldn't need it. but the amount of people with no savings, no income, and no assets to take to pay for their malfunctions they do to innocent people is so high and accepted by society we really don't have any other choice.
>>
>>14204350
You can't even sue the city for not fixing the roads, well at least here, and believe me when I say they are terribad.
>>
Wait, it's not legally required in America? Jesus Christ that must be a fucking nightmare. At least in Bongland you at least know that the majority of drivers are insured (it's pretty fucking easy to get caught if you don't) so if someone rams in to the back of you, or you damage your car, you're covered in some way.

Downside is that it's fucking expensive if you're under 25. God help you if you've got a bigger than 2.0L engine too.
>>
>>14204203

>fuck this world

How is it the world's fault you didn't get insurance?
>>
>>14201813
Yes. You need someone to pay for the victim's damages.
>>
>>14204223

Britbong insurance is astronomical for younger drivers. I really want a 3.0L 3 Series but until my birthday later this year, every quote is at least £900 per year.
>>
>>14202787

I can never understand this shit. If you've got a car like that, chances are you've got all the fucking money you'll ever need.

It can't be that hard to have your butler sort some fucking insurance for you.
>>
>>14204396
it is
>>
>>14204396
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance_in_the_United_States#Requirements_by_state
tl;dr New Hampshire requires you to pay for your damage in an accident but not actually have auto insurance. All other US states have minimum coverage.
>New Hampshire: Live free or Die
Coincidentally NH is one of very few places in the US where wearing a motorcycle helmet is not mandatory either.
>Live free or die
>>
>>14204425 here
Also, in the US, we also have what is called underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. If the other guy happens to not have enough insurance to pay for the damage to your body/your car, then your insurance has to pay for it.
>>
>>14204396
it's at the state level. most states require it with varying degrees of enforcement.
>>
>>14204422
Most owners of that car are yuppies in over their head on the financing.
>>
>>14204422
>flat black CGT
>butler
Prolly some boujetto hood rat
>>
>>14204436
....and then your rates go up and you have a deductible to pay, depending on your insurer
in the meantime the fag who caused it has a wrecked was-barely-worth-500-bucks shitbox and MAYBE a ticket.
>>
>>14201813

>some mexican family rear ends me while I'm at a standstill trying to make a left turn
>insurance rates still go up even though it was nowhere near my fault

Then whats the fucking point of insurance.
>>
>>14204480
In New York your insurance will sue them for everything they're worth and proof of fault for the accident (e.g. dashcam which can demonstrate that you are majority not at fault or not at fault) does matter. In New York it's hard to drive a shitbox uninsured; you have to present proof of insurance WITH a New York Driver's license that matches the name letter-for-letter when you go to register a car. If you stop insurance on a car, the insurer is required to electronically notify the DMV, who will suspend your registration if you don't have new insurance.

Out of state the rules get a bit different but in underinsured/uninsured situations the rules generally favor the claimant.
>>
>>14203025
Are you implying that your stock grocery getter is some kind of hyper car? I insured my tt z32 when i was 18 for 140/mo liability and 200 comprehensive. Wake up you faggot that 86 you dont have isnt even a racekor
>>
>>14204507
So you dont eat up the whole repair. Insuranc works by putting you in one of a few groups. You went from clean group to accident group. It doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault. You were in an accident, thats all that matters to them. If it was your fault it would've went up alot more because you'd then be in at fault accident group. This is the simplest way i can explain it.
>>
>>14204413
Try to get the insurance from your bank. I have a 2012 3 liter 3 series and I pay 25€ per month for insurance
>>
>>14204379
Tucson?
>>
>>14201813
it is in michigan
>>
>>14204345
I'm gunna go out on a limb and say that isn't correct.

It's fiscally responsible to self insure by carrying a high deductible and having liquid money to cover minor incidents, but with medical and more expensive cars and accident could leave you on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars.

I was in a minor accident and the Mexicans in the car I hit sued the insurance for "whiplash". Typical I'll sue this guy and make a buck type thing, they ended up walking with well over 100k.

Point being it's cheaper to have decent insurance when something like that goes down.
>>
>>14204575
Not even close.
>>
>>14204672
Tucson has really shitty roads too. They lay them about every 30 years
>>
>insurance with my own address £3k/yr
>try some rich friend's address £1.9k/yr

fuck the Jews, how are they going to know?
>>
>>14204826
Especially on older vehicles risk of loss from comprehensive coverage is a huge deal. Live in a richer zip code and it's probably lower crime/theft with better demographics.
>>
>>14204826
Your license.
>>
>>14204870
That's changed too.

Bank address as well.
>>
>>14204404
The mexican had no insurance.
>>
>>14201813

Sort of.

My mom has worked for insurance companies for her whole life and says it's a scam.

The amount of money they take in is HUGE compared to what they pay out these days.

Any excuse they can find to not pay, they will find it.

Some states allow you to purchase a bond in lieu of buying insurance, which is what she does for her car. The amount of the bond can vary but is usually around the $20,000 range.

OH, and yes they have a plan in place for bicycles to be insured as well, since almost 70% of accidents involving bicycles, the cyclist is found at fault.
>>
yes and it is here in sweden
>>
>>14204826
>le /pol/ boogeymen
>>
>>14206941

leave this thread, jew
>>
>>14205483
Then your insurance should have covered repairs. Unless you're some poorfag who just has liability.
>>
>>14205483
Most states require uninsured motorist coverage
>>
>>14201813
Yes. If you hit someone, you have to be able to pay for their repairs. Requiring car insurance is the easiest way of doing this.
Trust me, going through the courts to get some deadbeat to pay for his damage was the most annoying thing I've ever done. The average Joe can't be trusted with the responsibility of saving emergency money on their own like that.
>>
>>14201813
Yes. As well as yearly inspections, so you don't have a bunch of unsafe rusted shitboxes on the roads.
>>
>>14207462
I've lived in California, Utah, Arizona and Colorado and only California had uninsured motorist as an option.

What states require it?
>>
>>14202698
I think just about all states require private car insurance, or you have to pay the state a certain amount. There might be one or two states where you don't have to do anything.. but i can't think of any.

If you are taking a loan or lease, must loaners require insurance as well.
>>
>>14212169
edit, to drive on the road just about all states require it. Some states require insurance or shit loads of paper work to own a vehicle without insurance. Fuck those places.
>>
>>14204413
honestly I wouldnt mind paying that. Just checked my rates and it's $2.5k a year for myself
>>
>>14214798
I'll add this is only liability
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.