[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do engines actually die? I haven't had much experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Do engines actually die?

I haven't had much experience with gasoline engines past 200k km but do high milage cars actually have engine problems? I'd like to believe that they just depreciate a lot but don't end up being unmaintainable after like 250k km.

Context: mom's looking for a used car, won't buy anything with over 40k km....

Pic unrelated
>>
File: _20151003_202401.jpg (202KB, 1456x1363px) Image search: [Google]
_20151003_202401.jpg
202KB, 1456x1363px
>>14201182
Miles here.
Purrs like a kitten
>>
>>14201182
>but do high milage cars actually have engine problems?
Generally no it depends on the engine though

The consumable stuff will always break down before the engine.

Suspention, Driveline etc.
>>
With proper maintenance and operation, engines don't really die, they just start losing compression over time as things wear out.

Mechanical failures do happen, but usually engines I see at the shop that are old and worn out just have worn rings or bearings from 300,000 miles of daily use.
>>
Engines have parts that wear out over time, if not maintained an engine could "die" if you never changed gaskets, oil, filters, etc. Then the moving parts will not function properly and something can go so wrong it's basically as good as dead.

40k km is nothing for a car, over 250-300k (or even 200k km) km you have to be cautious, especially depending on the brand and what car.

TLDR: Your mom is retarded and you should always make sure the car has been maintained/serviced properly.
>>
>>14201234
All three of my current vehicles have over 200k on them. My 3800 has 235,000k.

Change your oil and mileage doesn't really matter until you start seeing stupid high mileage.
>>
>all these euros/canucks
you realize 200k km is nothing right?
>>
>>14201298
>3800
please go away nobody wants to hear about your fully shit stock series 2 please fuck off
>>14201310
this

>straya cunt
>>
>>14201310
This is what iv been trying to get my mom to realize :(
>>
>>14201377
Your mum is mixing miles with kilometers. Tell her she needs to leave the country immediately.
>>
>>14201182
Yes, moving parts put under high levels of stress and heat deteriorate over time.
>>
> 200k km
> a lot of miles
What the fuck? Do eurocucks seriously think 125k miles is a lot? Thats just starting to break in the engine.
>>
>>14201182
I have a Volvo 244 with a B230f with over 250,000 miles.

Good engines die....eventually.
>>
In theory an engine with replaceable cylinder liners could be rebuild an indefinite amount of times until the block itself fails.
>>
>>14201182
most engines would easily do well over 300k's IF maintained properly. the problem is motherfuckers don't maintain shit properly. if you do the basics right like other anons have said, you'd be amazed how long even supposedly shitty vehicles will stay on the road.

i've owned several high mileage vehicles 200k+ and never had major issues or seen significant deterioration during my periods of ownership and i mostly contribute that to servicing on time every time, making sure potential issues are addressed promptly, and just using common sense.

the problem is as a vehicle ages, the market value of a vehicle inherently drops. as the value drops, people find it less and less worthwhile spending the money on maintenance because "why spend $300 fixing it when it's only worth $1000 anyway" every couple of years, or that kind of attitude. it's bullshit. would you rather spend $300 and have a legit vehicle again or would you rather spend a few grand for something a few years newer and do the same shit all over again a wee bit down the track. so they sell the vehicle cheap because it's got issues and people who buy cheap cars with issues tend to be even less likely to give a shit so the downward spiral continues, and at some point it dies.

that being said though, if you don't know how to wrench, or don't have friends who can help you with it, mechanics can be expensive, and people are apprehensive about that and there are a lot of shit mechanics out there who don't help the situation.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.