[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a foxbody as a daily driver. Yeah im aware of other options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 1985_00001_05.jpg (54KB, 800x373px) Image search: [Google]
1985_00001_05.jpg
54KB, 800x373px
I want a foxbody as a daily driver. Yeah im aware of other options but this is what i want so please give me some advice.

I see that they started using EFI in '86 but i kind of want a carbureted one. I want that old car feel. Im confident in being able to maintain it and such so that doesnt bother. Also amy year before 87 has those kickass 4 eyed headlights.

I guess my main question is what would be the best year of the foxbody in your opinion and why. And is my decision a shitty one or not.
>>
Any Capri without the bubble hatch, because they're by far the coolest
>>
you want an old piece of shit as a DD

of course the decision is shitty

get a Fairmont since its the only decent looking Foxbody 4 doors are better too
>>
>>14197456
If you're gonna buy a old hunk of shit at least get a falcon
>>
>>14197456

You want a early 90's 5.0 You think you can style in anything less?
>>
File: 00909_qxJHOUCTd5_600x450.jpg (47KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00909_qxJHOUCTd5_600x450.jpg
47KB, 600x450px
>>14197526
Aw thanks, Anon! I know you're thinking about me!

>>14197456
They were the lightest in '79 and they started getting heavier but also with better engines. My Capri is an '83 but it has a later 5.0 H.O. engine in it, carbureted. Fuel economy isn't THAT bad with a stick if you idle around a lot and you're right that it's easy to maintain. I've been reading the shop manual and everything is just so simple it's a joy to own a real machine with no computer whatsoever.
>>
>>14197456

I gotcha OP...

4 eyes cars are sexy as hell. Here is what you need to know:

79: Underpowered (130hp for the v8), but the pace car was gorgeous and quite rare.

80-81: No 5.0 was available it was a 255ci v8 Automatic OD and it was a piece of shit engine, but you can always replace the drive line.

82: GT was a sexy, sexy car, but only 158HP and a 2 barrel carb. upgrades are not worth it because of shitty pistons and heads. Transmission was a horrible 4 speed OD with terrible gear ratios. Plan on upgrading.

83-84: Not the prettiest cars, and 175 HP out of the v8, but finally a 4bbl carb and 84 got dual exhaust. Good base for bolt ons

85: The best of the 4 eyes. 210HP, 4bbl, the last carbed 5.0 and very upgradable and easy an pie to work on. Was also a roller block, so better cam profile options.

86: You could get CFI (central fuel injection with a auomatic, or proper multiport fuel injection with the 5 speed. Only 205 HP, and a really bad block with flat top pistons and no valve reliefs, so a terrible base for upgrades. Avoid the 86 IMO.

All foxes 79-93 can swap driveline parts, so no mater what you get you can also swap in teh later, better engine, tranny and rear axles, and are dead simple to work on.

Head over to corral.net for a great forum for mustangs.

Any questions let me know :)
>>
>>14198807
Thanks man you pretty much nailed it.

I guess i should just know what parts to look out for when im buying the car
>>
>>14198807
I don't think Mustang ever got the CFI. Even the 86 was MFI. Shitty thing on the 86 was the heads. They were good for torque but ran out of breath early. They were shitty enough the pistons didn't require reliefs. 86 was also the first year of the 8.8 rear.

I know OP said carb, but the FI is so good why bother? 86 gets 4-eye, 8.8 rear, dual exhaust. An 87+ engine swaps in with almost nothing to change, and most have been if they've survived this long.
>>
>>14200730
Me again. It was the '85 Autos that got the CFI, '85 5spds were carb, 86 was all MPFI.
>>
File: IMG_20150711_140747.jpg (495KB, 1306x979px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150711_140747.jpg
495KB, 1306x979px
last meet i went to, red one popped for sale recently on my local Kijiji
>>
File: Capri Mall.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Capri Mall.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
bump
>>
In my opinion 86+ is best, they don't look as nice past 87 but they're not too bad still. Even if you don't want to mod it, you need subframe connectors, minimum.
>>
I started out a 4 eyed notch fan but now im really loving the facelifted lx hatches they just look so raw
>>
>>14197456
Got a 90 GT Convertible. Here's my take...

>Not the most reliable car in the world but far from bad and very easy to work on.
>Parts to keep it running are very cheap but cosmetic parts are much more expensive than you would expect.
>Build quality is shit. Worst rattle trap I've ever owned. Tons of plastic parts that crack and snap if they're so much as looked at wrong. (Speaker covers, switches, etc.)
>Cheap springs used to hold cheap plastic parts in place stretch or the plastic mounts snap regularly. (Ash Tray, door handles, hod latch)
>Relays/Fuses fucking suck (Could just be age). My car blows fuses like nothing and both me and my friend with an 89 have had fuel pump relay issues. My problem was the relay wouldn't stop sending a signal so the pump was running with the car off while he had the opposite problem of the pump relay not engaging when trying to start.
>Only buy a 5 speed manual. I've got a 4sp Auto and it's complete trash compared to my friends 5sp. Autos are sloppy as hell and I feel like I'm losing at least 30hp to the wheels compared to my friends car.
>Sounds fucking great
>Fun to drive but not particularly comfortable after an hour or two.
>Damn near no trunk space in notch or convertible. Get a hatch if you plan on carrying anything in the car.
>Cabin is extremely cramped and backseats may as well not exist.
>Terrible in snow. Fun in rain.

desu I love the car but I also have 2 larger cars I use more frequently. I would never recommend one as a DD. Get something more practical as a DD and buy a Fox as a project/fun car.
>>
Every person I know that has, or has had, a Fox Body, was either constantly wrenching on it, or it is sitting in the backyard because of electrical problems, transmission problems, or misc. stuff.
>>
>>14205253
Yeah OP, seriously, get a Corolla, and a Fox.
>>
File: 1451607511712.jpg (107KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451607511712.jpg
107KB, 400x400px
>>14197552
>>
>>14205253
Fairmont's are another good choice. Four door and wagon options available. 5.0 and manual transmission are also available.
>>
>>14205267

Not true at all.

I've only owned foxes for the last 20 years. The only wrenching has been upgrades/bolt ons. They are ridiculously reliable. Electrical problems are not at all common.
>>
>>14205267
Wow. Old ass cars need fixing sometimes. Who would have thought?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.